Thread: Hearts of Iron 3 lag?

Default Hearts of Iron 3 lag?

I played HOI3 today and it would lag pretty much every 10 seconds. I have the latest patch(1.4)
    and have tried restarting, re-downloading, etc. and nothing works!

What can I do to stop this?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Hearts of Iron 3 lag?

Buy the expansions. HOI3 is quite terrible on its own due to horrible AI, a laughably inaccurate map (it has the Ohio River flowing through Indianapolis for starters), and horrible lag and performance in general. HOI3 and its SF expansion also don't support multi-core computers, something that was fixed in the FTM expansion. The difference between the base game and the expansions, especially Their Finest Hour, is like night and day.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Yeah, the expansions do speed the game up a bit, unfortunate that the engine is so terrible with multi core computers.

sickpeople's Avatar Semisalis

My game lags even with all the expansions installed. I have a multi CPU pc, so the game definitely has problems with Multi CPU PCs. Even with setting affinity level in task manager to 1 CPU, the game is close to unplayable. A real shame.

Idiots, Idiots never change.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

There's a patched TFH exe in the official tech support forum that let's the game be "aware" of large address spaces that could solve your problem. There's no point in me providing a link, because you have to have the game registered on the ParadoxPlaza forum in order to get to it. If you can get there, go visit the sticky "MEGATHREAD ***Hearts of Iron 3 - Known issues, fixes, workarounds etc.*** MEGATHREAD" and click on the bolded link "Podcat's latest exe the LAA one" in the middle of the first post. I honestly don't know why they didn't push that out to everyone as a patch, but if you have a multi-core computer (who doesn't nowadays?) and are having lag issues then go grab that exe.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Get the expansions and patches. It is the best way to go, it solves many problems but also enhances game play; if the game had originally been released with all of the features of the expansion then it would be one of the best PC strategy titles ever made.

I wish people would stop calling frame skipping or low FPS lag. It's not lag unless there is latency involved.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

good info,then it would be one of the best PC strategy titles ever made.