Thread: Icelandic Grand Campaign

Default Icelandic Grand Campaign

I am considering beginning work on an overhaul for the grand campaign, where the player will be able to control Iceland as an independant faction.
    Planned features include:
    Iceland playable in campaign and custom battles.
    New flags for Iceland, featuring coat of arms etc.
    More building slots for Reykjavik.
    Unique land units (see below)
    Icelandic names

I will replace an emergent faction, probably Hessen, to make Iceland. I understand that Iceland, in the real world, has never had a substansial military force, so this mod is fantasy really. This also means that I will have to use some imagination for new units, and all suggestions are welcome!
    Here are some ideas for units (no Icelandic names yet, just ideas for what the units will be like)

Mob infantry, similar to ottoman mueslims, but european in appearance.
    Weak melee infantry, similar to bashi basouks, but with a european style.
    Regular melee infantry, similar to cemaat janissaries, but european
    Elite melee infantry, significantly stronger than cemaat janissaries, very expensive, but an extremely powerful force.
    I may also include axemen like the dervishes, and something similar to the Islamic swordsmen.

Iceland will have a very wide selection of light infantry, from irregular skirmishers to mountain infantry to riflemen.
    There will also be plenty of missile cavalry and light cavalry. There will be no heavy cavalry, and probably no dragoons.
    Iceland will also be fairly weak in the artillery department, U will disable puckle guns, heavy howitzers, rocket troops and heavy foot artillery.
    Icelandic line infantry will be similar to that of other european nations, but with less soldiers, slightly higher morale and accuracy.
    Iceland. will similarly have thinned out but tougher grenadiers, and probably some unique line infantry.
    Iceland will not have horse guards, but will have foot guards and elite mountain infantry.

What I am trying to do here is introduce new tactical requirements and oppurtunities as Iceland will have heavy influence on hit and run tactics and also melee tactics, if you catch my meaning :Ž
    Also, the purpose behind this is to reflect Iceland's small population, and the harsh living conditions in Iceland in the 1700s (lower unit size, higher morale).

This is my first attempt at a major mod, and I am pretty new to it. I have clocked a few tutorials that will help me, and will post any requests for "HELP!" here, if I need them.

I will also post development screenshots here, and preview mods for you to look at and test so you know how things are going, and to help me develop things further.
    All suggestions are welcome for any aspect of this mod.

NOTE: Anything I upload here may be modified for personal use and reuploaded on THIS THREAD ONLY for the sole purpose of the development of this mod. Please do not reupload it on any other thread or site.

Thanks.

Foederatus

Default Re: Icelandic Grand Campaign

Good idea

Please do this mod its a sick idea

Hey guys! thanks for the replies!
    regretfully, my Empire Total War game has picked a very bad time to break, and I have also been having ESF trouble. I have made most of the flags for Iceland, but cannot test anything due to my game breaking. I have VERY limited internet, so I am not sure When I will be able to get my game re-installed Ž:
    I am very annoyed at this situation as I was looking forward to flying the Icelandic flag over Europe.
    This mod is not dead though! I will return to it as soon as I am able. I may upload one of the flags I made, just so you can see that I have started work!

Foederatus

Ok cool. I've been to Iceland myself and the tour guide told me about the colonial period in Iceland

bk2-modder's Avatar Libertus

Anybody still doing this? I once was working on a mod (before AVG thought it was junk and deleted it) with a bunch of new factions, and Iceland as among them. It would be wonderful to see this completed!

HEY! I'M BACK!!! Sorry guys, I've been very busy with college and got addicted to football manager lol, but now i'm back to Total War.
    I think I'm going to move this mod to Medieval 2 Total War, as it is much easier to mod and I think the mod will work better in the medieval period.However, I've never made anything for this game, so I'll have to understand how the engine works first. I will obviously have to edit the map to get Iceland on there in the first place, and then figure out the rest. I don't know how long it'll take to come up with something, and I'll only be working on it on and off, but yeah. Feel free to use this idea and make something for Empire if you want though! I also want to add the proper factions to the game in this mod, so that Norway isn't just "Rebels" as far as the game is concerned. Sorry for disappearing (again)

If a moderator sees this, please move this thread to Medieval 2 if you can. Thanks.

Actually, I'm going to start a new thread for this in Medieval 2, as the concept for the mod has changed significantly. Iceland will still be the centerpiece though

There will be no more posts from me on this thread. My computer messed up and all my work towards the mod was deleted. I formatted it and got everything working again, including ETW finally. If I decide to restart this mod, it will have another thread as it had been too long since I started this. I actually had the campaign map almost finished but I guess that serves me right for not backing up, I should know better as a games development student lol. Anyway, hopefully this will be back in some form in the future.

YmirVilhjįlmsson's Avatar Laetus

Ég elska žig fyrir žaš

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Welcome to TWC, YmirVilhjįlmsson! Since this mod creator has not been able to continue, you could try the Sturm und Drang 2 mod. That mod allows people to play as Iceland. (It can be downloaded using a link here.)