Thread: [Tech Products] X6-7A MID Android Tablet

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

Default [Tech Products] X6-7A MID Android Tablet

X6-7A MID
    Android Tablet

*Photo Heavy* Have put photo's into categories for your viewing convenience. Take the time to go through them as i have included captions

Quick Info Name: X6-7A MID
    Company:Gamesalor
    Price: $50-60USD
    Purchased from 'Aliexpress'. International Shipping

Overview The modern 'tablet' a far cry from the blocks of the 10 commandments; anyone not living under a rock will know what they are, what they do and how much they cost.
    Now if you have indeed been living under a rock for around the last 5 years or so, to be blunt, a tablet is a computer which is more portable than the laptop, but larger than a phone. That's how i view it anyway.

The journey begins with a purchase from a vendor off Chinese wholesaler direct marketplace "Aliexpress". To put it simply, i purchased this from a Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer and wholesaler.
    It was advertised as such:

Android 4.0 Tablet PC
    7" Capacitive touch screen
    A13 512M Tablet PC

Item Type:Tablet PCTablet Data Capacity:4GBNetwork Communiction:WifiScreen Size:7"Processor Manufacture:AllWinnerTouch Screen Type:Capacitive ScreenProcessor Main Frequency:Single CoreFeature:Multi TouchMemory Capacity:512MBOperating System:Android 4.0Display resolution:800x480Model Number:8746Processor Model:Allwinner a13Brand Name:gameslaorBrand Name:gamesalorBattery Life:2-5 HoursWeight:500 gFeature:Wifi

Initial Packaging
    Now i had no idea what half of these specs for tablets meant but it was cheap, and i thought, why not?

So i went along with it. Several weeks later this arrived

Now the first thing which struck me. Customs Declaration! read carefully (Qualtity and detailed description of products). I love these guys. I've purchased quite a few items from China and their labeling is fantastic! Never ceases to amuse me.

These guys are on to it. No ******** here.
    "What is?, Is potato?"
    "No, is tablet PC"
    I'm surprised the packing designer didn't opt for blank white with Times new Roman font center. First time i've seen a cheap Chinese product actually label something correctly and to the point!

Basic package. Wall charger, USB connector, USB inverted connector (Tablet does not have an inbuilt USB port, instead it has an external USB port) instruction manual and tablet.
    Note: Wall charger build with parallel prongs for US mains socket. Will accept 110-240V according to labeling

Manual

Yea, na, not thaat useful. Very basic manual. A few mistakes. Tells you how to launch internet, open up camera etc
    Probably originally intended to be printed in colour

Shell and Construction

Plastic backplate. Not as cool as the Apple, metal casings, but it works.

Display
    Honestly i didnt kow what to expect with the interface. I've brought $80NZD mp3 players (2010) that while durable, did have a basic blue and white interface that resembled something out of a 1980s computer. This was a $50USD-$65NZD tablet, there was every possibility that this be something which was designed to be sold as opposed to be used

Storage space is minimal. However if using this device as a portable internet viewing device, it is ok. Thats what the USB flash drive/ portable hard drive is for. Will support micro SD card up to 16Gb

The interface is nicely set out and very intuitive and the display is very crisp. The photo's don't do it justice.

Interface is easy to understand and i, having never used a tablet before, got the jist of things in under an hour.
    With a Google account, you can download apps. So far i've got a radio scanner and flashlight app running.

As a basic package, it comes with all standard essentials. It can be used to access internet without even using a Google account and downloading apps. - However, to get all the goodies you will want to do this.
    However due to the limited storage, i don't think i will be getting too much, but this is fine with me seeing as all i need is backup/portable internet.

The touch screen works perfectly and everything works instantly.
    As you can see, it does come with an inbuilt camera, however this camera is located at the front, facing the user and is 1.3MP. Holy hell this was shocking.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is with most setting on 'auto'. Camera function is very basic and there is not a lot you can change.
    But hey, like i said earlier, i didn't intend on using this as a camera.

Auto rotate works which is convenient.

Charging is primarily done via wall mains. US residents need not worry, however those without the US parallel prongs will need to find an adapter as there is no option to choose which prongs you get, nor do they mention what type comes with it. The tablet can be charged with a USB, however this is much slower apparently (2 hours to fully charge via wall charger, 2 hours on the USB doesn't charge it fully)

As i said earlier, it has an external USB socket, which means you can grab something like an mp3 player and transfer files between the two.

Its a 7 Inch screen so it is quite small and more like a slightly smaller ipad mini. Great if you have limited space for even a laptop. This thing can fit in your backpack easily

Sound quality is actually pretty decent. You may remember 'those kids at the back of the bus with cellphone sound on max'. Sound is not that bad, however i wouldn't use it as a music listening device.

Summary Pros
    • Cheap Pricing. I could not find a cheaper tablet price in NZ
    • Intuitive interface
    • Tablet language is easy to read - aka not pidgin English
    • Touch screen works well with no delay. Typing using on screen keyboard is easy

Cons
    • Battery life compared with higher end Apple products is low. This has a 2-5 hour charge. 2 hour for Wifi on and internet browsing. This is with screen lighting on low
    • Although shipping is international, it comes with a US charger
    • Camera quality is poor
    • Plastic casing - light, however less durable.

Being a fairly simple tech person, i could really analyse it in full detail. So as a person with no experience in tablets who doesn't own a smart phone, i say 'thumbs up'.
    If you fit this category and want a portable interned device or backup for you computer, then this will fulfill your needs. If you are looking for something better than your Ipad, then perhaps not; this will probably be a downgrade.

Questions If you have any questions, i will try my best to answer them with an unbiased point of view
    Last edited by Voodo chile; May 25, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Tech Products] X6-7A MID Android Tablet

A great review mate, you've gone into a lot of detail.

I'll admit I think I'm still won over with the iPad.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE