Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: How to split a region

Default Re: How to split a region

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    To see the road you need to convert the road splines and add them to the "roads" map in your pack file (aka campaign_maps\bos_japan\display\Roads). It's best you use the converter that Primergy made (while it can be that the road connections between borders sometimes disappear. But heck, it's the best what you got). You can get the converter here: post#104
    That's great izzi, thanks a bunch! I'm not a picky man, so I'm sure it'll do just fine!

On a related note, I'm checking out the new city in the game to see if any bugs arise, and it seems like the trade does run over the new connection. It's just the roads that are still in their old shape. I have also noted that city growth is not visible in the 3d model. The 3d model of the city stays small and even with a fully upgraded town and castle, the city is still shown as a town with a basic castle. Any idea what this might be related to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiruri View Post
    That's great izzi, thanks a bunch! I'm not a picky man, so I'm sure it'll do just fine!

On a related note, I'm checking out the new city in the game to see if any bugs arise, and it seems like the trade does run over the new connection. It's just the roads that are still in their old shape. I have also noted that city growth is not visible in the 3d model. The 3d model of the city stays small and even with a fully upgraded town and castle, the city is still shown as a town with a basic castle. Any idea what this might be related to?
    I guess you mean the buildings on the campaign map? I am not sure with Fots that they actually become big like in S2TW. The 3d model can be changed in the "buildings_culture_variants".

I guess you mean the buildings on the campaign map? I am not sure with Fots that they actually become big like in S2TW. The 3d model can be changed in the "buildings_culture_variants".
    Yeah, for the settlements. If you take a look at the attached picture, you'll see that the 3d model for the selected settlement "Takada" (which is the one I added) only exists of a castle and a few buildings. But the vanilla settlements are much more expansive.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Probably because some ambient villages grow around the city (campaign_prop_marker.markers). But that's a bit complicated to add. Maybe best to focus on the campaign map and later on the road you can always add that.

Probably because some ambient villages grow around the city (campaign_prop_marker.markers). But that's a bit complicated to add. Maybe best to focus on the campaign map and later on the road you can always add that.
    Haha, thanks for your concern. Indeed it's not high on my priorities list, but definitely something I want to figure out later! When I studied game-design, the process was always so focused on building from the ground up, so in that way modding is more challenging because you gotta back
    trace through somebody else's process of making a game.

I've tried searching the forums to see if people already talked about how to edit those, but I can't seem to find a thread discussing that. Are there some harder-to-find websites/threads that you could refer me to, or is this from your own experience over the years?
    (Also, I hope I'm not pestering you, I've got like a thousand questions because I've seen some great mods, but googling and searching here, rarely gives me any insight in how certain things were achieved. It's like modders have to keep re-discovering the wheel for so many different possibilities in modding )

I have been modding the campaign map for some time now. I edited the .markers file by using the converters that taw made. Find it here. You probably will need a lot of converters and some compilers (jruby, python, java...). That is why I recommend to start with the basic stuff, build up from there and continue until you go more to the advanced topics. I have seen many trying to create new campaigns and all very encouraged. But after a while, became discouraged, because of the time you need to put in to create a really nice campaign map. I am still learning new things, because it's really extensive what you need to do.
    Here is an example what I am building with my new mod and look at the map:
    Click to view content: 

It took me a lot of dedication, effort and time to do this. I kind of understand how everything works (not everything). I started the same as you, I made some new provinces in Japan. Than in later time I added a total new landmass (Korea). Where I made a lof mistakes in how the engine works with campaign map details that can be found in the batte map. Those are tiny details, but hugely important.
    That is why I say, continue what your doing and piece by piece you get better.

I have been modding the campaign map for some time now. I edited the .markers file by using the converters that taw made. Find it here. You probably will need a lot of converters and some compilers (jruby, python, java...). That is why I recommend to start with the basic stuff, build up from there and continue until you go more to the advanced topics. I have seen many trying to create new campaigns and all very encouraged. But after a while, became discouraged, because of the time you need to put in to create a really nice campaign map. I am still learning new things, because it's really extensive what you need to do.
    Here is an example what I am building with my new mod and look at the map:

It took me a lot of dedication, effort and time to do this. I kind of understand how everything works (not everything). I started the same as you, I made some new provinces in Japan. Than in later time I added a total new landmass (Korea). Where I made a lof mistakes in how the engine works with campaign map details that can be found in the batte map. Those are tiny details, but hugely important.
    That is why I say, continue what your doing and piece by piece you get better.
    That's awesome work izzi, really amazing! I have no doubt that it took a substantial amount of work and dedication! Talk about being ambitious, haha. Are you creating a campaign for the Carlist wars?

Thanks for providing a link to the converter, I'll look into it. And yeah, babysteps. In my professional life I'm an app developer, but ever since graduating ten years ago, I've always dreamed of going deeper down the rabbit hole of game design. Made mods for different games, had my own projects, and I've learned from experience that it's one thing to be excited or passionate about a project, it's another thing accept and commit to doing decent planning, research and spending hours dedicated to tedious work.

For now my goals aren't that ambitious, just adding some settlements, but in doing it, I do want to do my darnest at making it look natural and play well, and for that I need to know what I'm doing and how it works.

Is there any chance you wrote your steps down as you were making your current campaign mod?

Yes, it's the start of my European campaign (starting with South West Europe and North Africa) and yes, it's the Carlist Wars.
    Nice you got some experience in modding. This helps a lot for developing mods.
    I sadly did not wrote any steps. I just started and worked on it piece by piece (I already made previous one with Korea).
    I did made an empty map for Fots for beginner mappers for the campaign. You can take a look at it if you want (here). Maybe it can help you out a bit, without building everything from scratch.

Yes, it's the start of my European campaign (starting with South West Europe and North Africa) and yes, it's the Carlist Wars.
    Nice you got some experience in modding. This helps a lot for developing mods.
    I sadly did not wrote any steps. I just started and worked on it piece by piece (I already made previous one with Korea).
    I did made an empty map for Fots for beginner mappers for the campaign. You can take a look at it if you want (here). Maybe it can help you out a bit, without building everything from scratch.
    Yeah, experience sure helps!

Such a shame you didn't write anything down, but I can imagine that when you're working on your own project, it's all in your head anyway!
    And that's really useful for possible future projects, thanks izzi!

Instead of hijacking this forum with further posts, is it okay if I PM you if I come across issues I can't find the answers to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiruri View Post
    Yeah, experience sure helps!

Such a shame you didn't write anything down, but I can imagine that when you're working on your own project, it's all in your head anyway!
    And that's really useful for possible future projects, thanks izzi!

Instead of hijacking this forum with further posts, is it okay if I PM you if I come across issues I can't find the answers to?
    Better contact me via my discord or totalrtsmods forum. I do not see that much TWC anyway. Only a couple of times.

After adding trade routes between new settlements the same way as described in the tutorial, and the same way as it already exists in the 3ds max layer, I get these errors. And they also show up for the port to port sea trade routes. They're orange errors, but still I'd like to figure out what's going on here.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On a side note, I've made some minor changes to the groundtypes layer and the mountains layer, after fixing some issues with degenerate outlines and triangles and whatnot, all those errors seem to be solved. But I'm left wondering if this causes any extra steps besides exporting the CS2 files...

Ive tried launching the mod after following all the steps again, and even though I could succesfully launch my first mod, this one crashes to desktop after loading without any error message. Is there anything I can do to check the cause of that? (startpos.esf was succesfully made and added to the pack)

Apparently everything in BOB is perfect, but when opening the .pack the DB folder is not there, I looked for it in working and the data folders are but empty, I have already tried in many ways and the same thing keeps happening to me.
    Last edited by Sonatametalera; October 01, 2021 at 04:28 PM.
    Wolves are the souls of fallen metalheads.

I managed to solve my problem by relocating the modding folder, but I have a question, is it possible to create a new region without castles, only with small buildings like smithies or farms?
    Wolves are the souls of fallen metalheads.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789