Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The structure of Reality.

Default Re: The structure of Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric View Post

Now that is the thesis to an undergraduate paper. Even Descartes would disagree with you here. The Evil Genius thought experiment immediately throws that sort of naive realism into question.

I don't think I can prove it. I'm an existential nihilist.
    Interesting points...are you planning on discussing the structure of Reality at some point other than stating that you cannot prove it?
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; April 09, 2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Personal references removed.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

The structure of reality is sense information, inferences and guesses, looped in that order.

delete
    Last edited by Sphere; April 09, 2014 at 10:29 PM.

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Interesting points...are you planning on discussing the structure of Reality at some point other than stating that you cannot prove it?
    I could explain to you why it is I cannot prove what the structure of Reality is like, but no, I cannot discuss what the structure of Reality is like. That's sort of the whole point of existential nihilism.

I'm sort of curious what was edited out of your post, too.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric View Post
    I could explain to you why it is I cannot prove what the structure of Reality is like, but no, I cannot discuss what the structure of Reality is like. That's sort of the whole point of existential nihilism.

I'm sort of curious what was edited out of your post, too.
    Me too. I don't think it was critical of you. I enjoy reading your posts. I don't believe it was mean spirited.

And yes, one might make the point that nothing is provable. If we cannot, then we're delluding ourselves and existing solely in our own minds and populating that estrangement with artificial beings, rather like sensory deprivation experiments in which one immediately hallucinates for a lack of sensory input results in the mind generating it.
    EDIT:
    When a post is editted, you can click upon the name of the person within the text and compare versions of the text. In this case, what was deleted was not something I posted that was critical of you. It was an observation that you noticed about me, and not my post, and that I quoted. That part of your quote was excised.

To help your belief that Reality is unprovable, here is a description of sensory deprivation experiments.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_deprivation especially see the work of Dr. John Lilly. Of course all reaseach is suspect if we are all delluding ourselves, and figments of our imagination.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; April 12, 2014 at 08:03 PM.

Facupay's Avatar Senator

Reality to me would seem to be the conjunction of sensorial experiences that are processed by our thoughts.

If that is real -or what "real" means for that matter- is another story.

And since we are arguing about reality and existence here I'll just throw my two cents: I don't believe we can even prove that we exist, let alone what is real, at least not through logic since that would imply that logic could prove itself. I cannot logically prove that I exist since existence is an axiom however I cannot also refute logic since the only way to do that would be through logic so maybe I would need to argue illogically which would be incomprehensible.

Anyway I'm a skeptic and before you say that it's contradictory I'll say that it is paradoxical so it seems prettier.
    HUMAN IS FISH ISLAM IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX...

Legourou's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Facupay View Post

I don't believe we can even prove that we exist, let alone what is real, at least not through logic since that would imply that logic could prove itself. I cannot logically prove that I exist since existence is an axiom however I cannot also refute logic since the only way to do that would be through logic so maybe I would need to argue illogically which would be incomprehensible.

Anyway I'm a skeptic and before you say that it's contradictory I'll say that it is paradoxical so it seems prettier.
    Some would argue that since you consistently refer to yourself as "I" throughout your own paragraph response, then that is enough information to prove that you do exist.

However, the form your existence is taking could be endlessly debated and never known for 100% certain.

Reality is real... reality means (etymologically) towards being real... however it takes self-assertion to accept the full picture... it's like accepting evolution... you just have to accept it based on the evidence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12