Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Proposal] Return of TD forumplay elections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Icon3 [Proposal] Return of TD forumplay elections

Recently I sent a private message to Hex, requesting permission to re-start a form of Thema Devian forumplay a bit like we used to have until February of last year. Having gained a little more in wisdom from the bubbling excitement of those days, what I was proposing this time around was a return to the 'bare bones' style monarchy we had before February and the 'constitution'. The new kingdom would be bare in that there would be no 'powers' of any kind, responsibilities or exclusivity. We'd start a thread, get some nominations, elect somebody and then voila, our kingdom/empire/people's republic would be restored.

As a side note, I added in the PM that if not we could just turn to the old party elections, so it wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, I was politely informed a while later that not only had our dear leadership remained adamant on the monarchy forumplay, but it had decided to prohibit the party elections, too.

I was a little confused by this. I'd like to think that any such activity should be perfectly fine as long as it doesn't break the ToS or have any additional structures like the old system did. A monarchic election is a sugar-coated popularity contest. A party election is a fun way of finding out what ideology, forum group, nationality or alcoholic beverage is in the vogue in TD. Who doesn't like elections? They're fun. You can posture. You can gesticulate wildly. You can pretend you're still free.

I'm not trying to throw mud at Hex here, but is it necessary to so strictly define what is and isn't permissible in Thema Devia beyond those constraints imposed by the ToS? Sure, there is a role-play forum already. But forumplay is quite a different animal. It's a unique style of game that adds a new dimension to the Devia. It's not 'dedicated' or professional as such, it's embedded in the everyday conversation in TD, and to separate it geographically would basically kill it off. In a survey launched last October, I found that the majority of Devians found the effects of forumplay positive.

Input from several supporters of this proposal:

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Luna
    The RP in the TD was at its height just after I started hanging out there, and I have only good memories off it. It definetly strenghtened the community spirit there.

And the elections got to continue! They have been there longer than I!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian
    As Elector incumbent of the Games Activities and Chat and diplomatic representative of the Shummite Emperor Diamat I agree with your proposition and therefore sign the petition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamat
    I know exactly what many a citizen will think upon seeing this: "this is just stupid Thema Devia crap with no value to the site." Well, dear gentlemen, as a member of CdeC, I have to disagree. Before I chanced upon the Thema Devia and its monarchy, I was a rather inactive, non-contributing member of TWC. I only came to download mods, nothing more. Then, one day, I visited the Thema Devia, and was intrigued by its factional struggles and light role-playing. So I stayed. No, I didn't just stay, I began actually caring for TWC, getting into modding, etc. The Thema Devia monarchy inspired me to become a citizen. Without it, I never would be on CdeC right now. I'd just be another guy visiting only to download mods. Honestly, the monarchy was a truly fun part about TWC. And as long as it does not violate the ToS, it should be permitted, not just for the sake of Thema Devia silliness, but for the sake of the general TWC community. It may look silly, but it has value far beyond such silliness, as you can see by my example.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin
    You know once I even reported my mother. The moderators will know that something is not right five minutes before something will go wrong, now we are that responsible. Some will have fun, and maybe the community will be strengthened (some they say this are bad times for Thema Devia, before there were more fun/users around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad
    As a former King of the Coliseum I see nothing that can go wrong with the reintroduction of the TD monarchy. It was one of the highlights of my TD career and all the new devians should be able to experience the glory that is the TD monarchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarity
    Most do not consider myself as a full Devian, neither do I. But to be honest, I enjoy visiting the Devia everyday I'm here, hoping to see the craziness as one or two year back, but it mostly regular chats these days. Any forum has it's place for silliness, why not TD for TWC? Bringing back the RPing should just be the trick to bring this place back to it's golden days. And what is Thema Devia, if not another light forumplaying, for another time?

What did I just say?
    I heard of how things like "King of the Devia" can give the impression of someone with mighty power within TWC to new members. Impressions like that won't last long though to those who would stick one or two days, and they will soon find the fun behind it.

I needed, perhaps a stickied guide to the TD would do?

So, no point saying any more. It would be great to see forumplay rights returned to TD. Comments from all members are welcome - I'm hoping that if people are open to the idea, in this thread we could establish the do's and don't's that forumplay would include.

List of previous forumplay threads:

Create a Party 2012
    Create a Party 2010
    Create a Party 2009
    Create a Party 2007
    Royal Election for the successor of Arch-Mistress Xand the Defiler
    Royal Election for the successor of King Meloncat I, or Dictator Cahoma
    Last edited by Inkie; May 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Default Re: [Proposal] Return of TD forumplay

Meh.

If I'm honest, I have to admit I'm unimpressed by 'TD' culture. Its based on selection and exclusivity and an arbitrary system of appointment to its vaunted ranks by a popular clique of members.

The RPG forum is here

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    The RPG forum is here
    I offered it once and was told "what we're doing isn't roleplay"

As an elected CdeC member I would like to make an official statement: This is all roleplay!

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    As an elected CdeC member I would like to make an official statement: This is all roleplay!
    As an elected CdeC member I would like to make an official statement: This is not simply roleplay!

There is no structure to this interaction, unlike in a real roleplay. It's more of a cosplay than anything, but not roleplay as such. Therefore, it does not belong in the RPG section, and would never get accepted there anyway, because it simply has no structure.

Inkie is not asking to revolutionize the TD into some sort of RP Heaven. All he's asking is to allow election stuff. TDers are already cosplaying there. So nothing much would change.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    As an elected CdeC member I would like to make an official statement: This is not simply roleplay!

There is no structure to this interaction, unlike in a real roleplay. It's more of a cosplay than anything, but not roleplay as such. Therefore, it does not belong in the RPG section, and would never get accepted there anyway, because it simply has no structure.

Inkie is not asking to revolutionize the TD into some sort of RP Heaven. All he's asking is to allow election stuff. TDers are already cosplaying there. So nothing much would change.
    Cosplay? So your all wearing a costume while sitting behind your monitor?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Cosplay? So your all wearing a costume while sitting behind your monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Meh.

If I'm honest, I have to admit I'm unimpressed by 'TD' culture. Its based on selection and exclusivity and an arbitrary system of appointment to its vaunted ranks by a popular clique of members.
    That was one of the criticisms levelled against the old system, but the same can't be said about forumplay in general. Anybody who wants to 'play' can do so, there's no central control of it like you suggest. It's completely pluralistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    The RPG forum is here
    Yet it's a Devian phenomenon that purely concerns the Devia itself and doesn't exist independently as conventional RPG's do. Besides, its location in TD doesn't seem to have been a problem for the 5 years it lasted. Why is it suddenly irrelevant to the TD now despite its having been engrained in the place's identity?
    Last edited by Inkie; May 07, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Oh god people are taking me seriously. I hadn't anticipated this. ABORT ABORT

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I have to ask, since hex has said no, what makes you think anything said here will have any impact on the decision already rendered?
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I fully support Inkie's motion and offer my assistance, if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I have to ask, since hex has said no, what makes you think anything said here will have any impact on the decision already rendered?
    The voice of the proletariat must be heard. Besides, "no" can also mean "convince me it's a good idea".
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 07, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    The voice of the proletariat must be heard. Besides, "no" can also mean "convince me it's a good idea".
    I guess I wasn't clear, no is no. If that's too confusing try absolutely not, never, will not happen and nope as alternative meanings for my post.
    Last edited by Squid; May 07, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

@Squid There's nothing wrong with opening something to discussion. I think that it's perfectly acceptable, if Hex has made a decision that people disagree with, that suggestions are put forward which Hex can evaluate. After all, if members simply told themselves 'it has been decided', we would have never requested the rebooting of the Describe the Person Above You thread, which was passed and concluded amicably, without issues.

@Hesus the avatar is the costume
    Last edited by Inkie; May 07, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

No. Go and play in the RPG forum.

It's off topic chat.

As I said in another thread it's only a certain clique that consider themselves "devians" (ridiculous name by the way) For most people it's just another sub forum.

Most of you are citizens anyway so why can't you carry on the roleplay that is the Curia? Pass amendments and rights and whatever ridiculousness you want.
    Last edited by Sharpe; May 07, 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    No. Go and play in the RPG forum.

It's off topic chat.

As I said in another thread it's only a certain clique that consider themselves "devians" (ridiculous name by the way) For most people it's just another sub forum.

Most of you are citizens anyway so why can't you carry on the roleplay that is the Curia? Pass amendments and rights and whatever ridiculousness you want.
    Three of us are citizens. That's not a majority. It's not that hard to get into this so called "clique" Lastly, how is it not off topic?

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

As a former devian I might be biased, but I don't see the it hurting anyone. If it's only one or two threads every couple of months, what does it matter if they have their little fun? And as a former player I can also say, it's not roleplaying. It's pretending to have authority
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Well role-play is not implicitly off topic chat as far as I'm concerned.

There is a specific sub forum for "roleplay" so go and do it there.

I have made it clear before but I cannot stand this rabbit/bird empire and my little pony nonsense littering the off topic.

Last edited by Sharpe; May 07, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: werds werds

That's incorrect, 'Devian' has become widely used throughout the site.

As Derpy said. Sorry but it doesn't seem that you're very informed on what you're talking about.

I have made it clear before but I cannot stand this rabbit/bird empire and my little pony nonsense littering the off topic.
    Gee, I'm real sorry for putting forward a proposal that would offend your sensitivities by meaning that you would have one or two additional threads not to click on in the Devia main. Let's abandon this idea, everyone.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Agreed
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Good.

Can you not make a group for it?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast