Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide: Turtling in TATW and MOS (hints & tips)

Default Re: Guide: Turtling in TATW and MOS (hints & tips)

Good guide Flinn. Normally I don't turtle as it makes the game more difficult and the AI will have a tedious amount of armies to kill in the mid-game if left unchecked, but I do enjoy fighting with pretty high-tier troops. Maybe I'll do a High Elf boat game, where I invade Harad by sea to save Gondor in the midgame.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

tnx for the compliments and for reading it

actually HE was my first true turtling campaing with TATW and the most exciting, it's pretty awesome when you finally field that shiny stack and start to steamroll ME ... you are going to enjoy it

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

update:

- Added Gondor Turtling Guide, you can find it just below the General Evaluation of factions

I had in mind to make a separate one, but finally I decided that it is probably better to have it included here (I also changed a little bit the style, I hope it is now more readable); I think this guide can be considered finished, there is little more I can add (mostly just espanding on specific factions), but if anybody has questions or doubts I'll be at his/her disposal!

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Awesome Gondor section, I may undertake this as my next campaign. Imrahil an average general?! Does he still have 2X size Swan Knights bodyguard in MoS? I forget, my computer struggles with that mod. Imrahil is usually my main raiding general in Harad, mopping up half-stacks every 2 turns then regenerating his bodyguard.

I'm curious why you don't take Cirith Ungol. The extra ~400 income is nice, plus it removes a recruiting center for big black. I understand trying to manipulate pathing around to the river crossing (which is my favorite defense in the game), but whenever I have a linear chokepoint I conquer it through until I reach a point where more garrisons would be required (Minas Morgul or Cirith Ungol, either way you have to maintain 1 garrison stack. Beyond Cirith Ungol you must split). Although I have gotten Boromir trapped and killed there before defending a siege.

Gondor has such a delicious choke defense against Mordor, I almost always expand against Harad first after securing this position. Being close to retraining centers is also a great benefit.

Blog Entries

Imrahil an average general?!
    sure as a general , as a unit they are awesome of course!! ; furthermore, in my playing style I seldom rely on cav only and when I plan for the future I also consider that the general can die and you can lose his bodyguard
    Furthermore, in later MOS versions it has been tuned down a little

I'm curious why you don't take Cirith Ungol.
    because if you siege Ungol when they only have there 2/3 units you can avoid them from salling out with just 3/4 of yours, while if you'll take it you'll be forced to defend yourself both in Ungol and in Hannun, thus going to cost you much more than the 400 gp you can get from it; later on, when you have a better economy you can take Ungol too, but I usually do it only when I'm ready or very close to cross into Mordor with the One in my pocket (or finger ); actually this siege/non siege of Ungol is the biggest trick you can play with Gondor to give yourself a lot of saved money and to force Mordor to assail you on the worst possible spot for them.

thanks again for reading it mate

Aha, I get the part with Cirith Ungol now. Very clever.

I still think Imrahil is wasted if not being played on the field, but then again this begins to break from the 'turtle' directive. It's very easy to train him up to 7-8 stars and beyond in short time. That bodyguard produces easy Heroic victories.

Blog Entries

absolutely, and I use him in battle but as a matter of fact as a general he starts out as nothing special

yep that Ungol trick is great, not my invention anyway .. but what's good is good !!

Libertus

hi, what is the point for Mordor's economic growth? At the beginning I don't recruit any troops and despite that fact, my economy goes to be bankrupt due to constructing hunting lodges&food resources and roads.Are there any detailed guidance for Mordor's economy (in MOS)?

Blog Entries

Hi onurlu06, weel met again

for Mordor, please have a look here: this guide is for TATW 3.2 and is pretty old at the moment, still it can give you some good food for thought about what to do with Mordor.

Furthermore, let me add few lines on Mordor as an experienced MOS player.

- start to save money since the beginning, from the very first turn, you need to:

1. move all the generals you have in Mordor (Nazguls included) to Ithilien;
    2. disband all the regular units you have in Mordor that are farer than 4/5 turns from Ithilien, move all the rest to East Osgiliath;
    3. use Kamul and the other buddy to conquer the rebel settlements between Dol Guldur and the Morannon, but do not take any other settlement in Mirkwood;
    4. take the fort south of East Osgiliath and take Hennet (be careful about ambush);

so far for the first moves, then:

1. build only mines, hunting camps and roads to increase income
    2. do not recruit any regular unit as long as you still have the ones you begin with
    3. orc generals are bad governors, therefore only use them in battle and use cheap snagas to garrison your settlements
    4. do not accept/adopt more generals as long as you still have the ones you begin with
    5. rise taxes at the maximum you can, everywhere. No orcish village or town into Mordor will ever grow to something interesting, better to get some extra money now and use them to build up an army to conquer Gondor, where the money is.

then, it depends on how you want to develop your campaign, but if I intended you well you like to turtle, therefore:

- Nazguls are AWESOME troops, they can help you crush Gondorian troops easily, especially if backed up with your swarming orcs. Have two half stacks with 4 nazguls each and 6/10 orchish units in the Ithilien, use them to crush any army Gondor might send in.
    - Nazguls works the best in open field battles, therefore do not take Cair Andros yet (but camp in front of it), same with East Osgiliath, retreat if they outnumber you during a siege and defend south Ithilien with another half stack.
    - there is a lot of half stack fighting in this stage; you'll need to replace often the loss from regular orcs; do not retrain them, it's not worth the time you have to wait, better to group up survivors ("M" key in the campaing map IIRC) and bring into the army new fresh units.
    - basic battle strategy: use orcs (everything you have, even snagas are good if used in loose formation) to block the line of Gondor and charge/retreat/charge/retreat etc with the Nazguls; if possible aim at the enemy general with your charges, but beware that Gondor usually deploy one unit of Fountain Guard in the back and they can butcher your Ringwraights.
    - at about turn 50/60 you should have enough money to maintain two stacks, composed by 4 nazguls each + 12/16 orcs batallions; once more, cheap units works fine (but do not use only snagas), then use Invasions at your advantage and aim to the big targets (Minas Tirith possibly). Once you have conquered the hearth of Gondor (turn 100 or so, depending on skill on battlefield and luck of course), you can plan forward to conquer whole ME;

there would be much to add, but I still hope this will help

Libertus

thanks, obviously the classic total war strategy does not work there that only building roads and farms is not enough as you informed me ////disband all the regular units you have in Mordor that are farer than 4/5 turns from Ithilien, move all the rest to East Osgiliath;/// >>> When I do that red symbol appears in castles of Mordor so I left one unit orc archers per cities, is that true?

Blog Entries

Yes, you cannot completely remove the garrison from settlements, in particular if it's a town/city and you are going to raise the taxes.

If the simbol remains yellow (the face I mean), don't worry they won't rebel, but be careful with blue/red ones. Furthermore, settlements without units inside can be easily conquered by the enemy (not an issue with Mordor heartland anyway). You have to play a little bit and try to see a proper balance between number of garrisoned troops and taxation level.

Let me know if any other doubt

Blog Entries

just checked here by chance and found that some pictures are gone.

Do all of them show for you ? Because I've had some problems with Imageshak recently ...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I only see the images in the spoiler box under "SPECIAL: Gondor Turtling Guide", nothing else.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Blog Entries

grrrr as I suspected imageshack deleted my pictures (the other ones are hosted on tinypic)

well I'll re upload them asap, assuming that I still have them stored somewhere on my many PCs

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Imageshack tends to come and go. With luck they'll return soon and you can save and reupload them then

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Being a Reddit user, I like Imgur for its simplicity and the lack of having to create an account, though I do not know how long images are retained for.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Excellent guide! Instant rep to you! However, you should probably fix two minor typos in the OP, under the special Gondor guide and extra considerations, where it says "unnecessary extra treat". That should be "unnecessary extra threat." LOL. A "treat" is a sweet candy. I doubt that's the sort of thing Harad is doling out to Gondor (although that would be very thoughtful of them before killing everyone in Gondor). This typo is repeated in the next sentence too. I'm sure a native speaker of Italian can't see the difference, given that damned "th" noise in English, but if you'd like to tidy up your OP after all these years, here is your chance!

Sincerely,
    the Grammar Nazi

Blog Entries

lol noted

I'll do all the job in one shot, when I will re-upload the pictures

thanks

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    lol noted

I'll do all the job in one shot, when I will re-upload the pictures

thanks
    Bitte schön, meinen Italienischen freund!

Sincerely,
    the Grammar Nazi

Blog Entries

good Dude is it really almost 5 years since I posted this guide? time runs fast

I miss those times, I had plenty of free time back then to play and enjoy this awesome mod and its submods, today I barely have time to brag here and there

sorry for the necro, but I couldn't resist!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12