Thread: help with re skining modles

Laetus

Default help with re skining modles

i am planning on creating a new unit based of Morgan's provisional rifle corps and just changing there colors to green and white to look like the continental marines the only problem is i don't know how to make a new unit or change a models color please help thanks

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: help with re skining modles

Hi oblivion blade,

First of all, I'd suggesting really poring over and reading all tutorials available on site, using the Search function.

Secondly, let's take this piecemeal, because you're really asking for two very different things.

Creating a new custom Unit
    Check out the tutorial below, it pretty much has everything you're looking for
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...complete-guide

The tutorial explains how to create a new unit in-game. This involves heavy text-editing and having the right software in your hands, to do so. I mostly use PFM. I really only use DBEditor for the initial copy and paste of a table I want to edit. After that, all new entries I add or remove in PFM.

Second concern of textures is also touched upon. This is called TEXTURING, and not SKINNING. SKINNING technically is a different method/function altogether. SKINNING is more akin to RIGGING (assigning vertex weights) and that is more geometry modelling (changing the 3D FORM of the unit) vs. TEXTURING (changing the 2D LOOK of the unit).

LASTLY, and this may just be the CRUNCHER here. Morgan's provisional rifle corps SOUNDS like a DLC unit... as far as I know, editing them doesn't work... meaning taking their model for a new custom unit and retexturing them. It may even work in campaign mode... but as soon as you use your new custom unit (derived from DLC materials) in BATTLE MODE... the game CTDs. It's some form of inanely draconian anti-modding measure by CA to claim their creative superiority. And probably has something to do with DLC protection, but at the expense of modding.

So, if it IS a DLC unit... then I'd suggest editing/modding most similar vanilla unit instead. I'm saying this just to save you the hassle, the frustration, and the ultimate disappointment with CA. Needless to say, I'm still fuming about this

Well, I hope I was helpful

Good luck and plenty of patience,
    You're gonna need it, buddy
    Last edited by TuranianGhazi; May 01, 2013 at 07:53 AM.

Laetus

Default Re: help with re skining modles

Thank you so much