Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012-13 Modding Awards

Default Re: 2012-13 Modding Awards

[QUOTE=Bethencourt;12912623]
    /YouTube removed

[QUOTE=Muizer;12915102]
    /YouTube Removed

Bethencourt and Muizer: I honestly do not understand what you're trying to say. Is there a meme here I don't know about?

The relevant part of my previous post was this:

re this years modding awards: I would like to se a modding award for the best Mod Leader and/or a team-based award. Some mods are one-man shows and others are made by a team of modders. One of the really satisfying things in modding - in my opinion - is to create an awesome mod together with others who share your interest. This can be really difficult, so a Team Work and/or Mod Leader award could maybe be an incitament for other to get involved in modding. We sure as hell need some more bright people to tackle the warscape engine.

I will Give my personal Opinion on the modding awards :

Frst of all they shoul dneed to be standardized according to the moddability of the game themselves ...

Researcher and tutor arent' in my opinion worth awarding , a lot of people make researchs and doesn't require a special ability to find stuff on google wich is what most of time is happening , the same for tutoring that eventually shoudl get its own award category endependantly from RTW .

Coder and scripter are very similar I wold merge them , Mapper is a very generic term , I woudl split this into Battlefield mapper and Strategical Mapper, wich involve two different roles and technology to be known .
    Texturer is too generic Modeller is ok but it could be distinguished in Animation , and modeling . The texturing could be defined as Skin maker and Interface .
    Mod improvements , expansions , combinations , and many other doesn't make much sense to me ...

So my proposition is to have the most coherent possible list of modding awards and apply them whenever possible to the moddable game according to the moddability .

Mod Specific

Best Overhaul ( a mod that completely changes the scenario of the game )
    Best Looking ( a mod that features the best overal graphic look )
    Best Gameplay ( a mod that features the best and most balanced gameplay )
    Best Compilation ( not sure if this shoudl be worth a mod award because it uses other peoples works and is just a rehack but anyway I listed )
    Best Historical fidelty ( this I woudl also skip because especially on those forums the history is subject to incredible debates and so it usually ends in popularity contests .
    Most Popular mod

Modder

Code/Editor
    Modeller
    model texturer
    Generic artist and UI
    Tool creator
    Strat mapper
    Bettlefield mapper
    Animation
    Sound and FX

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I like the idea of "tutor" awards.
    Creating tutorials and helping "would be" modders is a crucial task to keep the modding community alive.
    So, rewarding those who take time to write such tutorial look good.

On the other hand, I have to agree that it would be better to separate 2D and 3D artist awards as their work are quite different.
    • 2D artists work on textures (model's skin) and ui (user interface)
    • 3D artists work on 3D models (creating shape, rigging model and eventually creating new animations)

It could be difficult to find 3D artists for S2TW/FotS, even if CA provided a converter with its Tool pack.
    It could be interesting to note that, with ETW/NTW/S2TW-FotS, modding animation could be considered as txt editing (animation and fragments) or as "modeling" when working on .anim files (create from 3D tools such as MilkShape, Blender or 3ds max).

Depending of TW titles, I agree that Mapper award could be separate between Mapper - Battlemap and Mapper - Campaign map.
    ETW and NTW should only reward Mapper - Battlemap as it is still impossible to modify the campaign map.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Totally agree with wangrin.

Also, I'd like to wholeheartedly nominate wangrin for such an award. His help, guidance, support, and pointers have been instrumentally invaluable in my beginner and ongoing modding. I'm finally getting close to finishing my Crimean Khanate Realism (CKR) mod for Empire Total War.

Best regards,
    Peace,
    TG

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Most Popular mod ? I don't think that's needed because all the winners on every category are basically base on the most popular.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I agree on the tutoring award , but not on one formeach category , Imthink one is more than enough . Most popular mod , well I am against it too , but seems there is always a most popular now ?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I like the idea of "tutor" awards.
    Creating tutorials and helping "would be" modders is a crucial task to keep the modding community alive.
    So, rewarding those who take time to write such tutorial look good.
    Great idea. Maybe it could be folded together with a Mod Leader/Team based award. One thing is being helpful on the forums, another is to take a new modder in to the team as a trainee with the extra workload this means to team members/Mod Leader. Maybe it's a generic award title depending on what it's awarded for? I don't have any good ideas for such a title, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Most Popular mod ? I don't think that's needed because all the winners on every category are basically base on the most popular.
    Not sure if you replied to me, but I never mentioned "most popular mod". There are a couple of legacy flagship Mods out there e.g. EB and RTR so to me it looks a little weird to award a single member for a very specific job when not awarding the final result. If I provided some amazing units to a piss-poor mod, then it would just be a piss-poor mod with some nice units. Just my opinion.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Tutor awards should be, at least, separate between pre-warscape game engine (RTW/M2TW) and warscape game engine (ETW/NTW/S2TW-FotS).
    Tutor are not limited to 3d and 2d modding that can be common to all TW games. Coding and DB editing are not the same.

Personally, I think that tutor awards should be given for each game because, if base mechanism are common to ETW/NTW/S2TW, mechanisms are different in details (not the same tables junctions, new tables, new features, etc.).

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

LestaT is right: whatever is decided for categories or the procedures, the fact that it's all decided by popular vote is crucial. No point splitting categories if players can't tell the difference, no matter how "unfair" or "incorrect" that may be from a modder's perspective. You can't force voters to make informed decisions when they aren't informed.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Strange, always thought that a sign of a healthy, real democracy is that voters take the time, effort, and resources to get informed on all issues at present.

Imho... there is no REAL democracy in the world... since the above is never fulfilled
    Last edited by TuranianGhazi; June 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Democracy works well in Denmark i.e. like mentioned in your first paragraph. The US needs another few hundred years before your notion of democracy has matured enough to actually call it a democracy. Theocracy would probably be a more correct term. Currently about 15% of americans are atheists yet there are NO atheist senators. The reason is $$$ which is the second issue you need to resolve before you can call yourself a democracy.

I agree with you completely King Philip II about American democracy being nowhere near true democracy, except the atheist bit... I see that as irrelevant to being a democracy or not.

Religious people can be just as democratic, if not more, than atheist people. Islamic shura, followed in Sunnah fashion, (Arabic word of council and from which the word Shariah comes from) does not adjourn until the LAST member agrees to a decision, resulting usually in compromises among all individuals in a meeting... Shura/shariah is better than the ancient Athenian democracy by majority-rule, but is exactly akin to modern-day Greek-derived forums, like this one.

Lastly, This convo is off-topic... to the topic at hand... Modding and Tutoring awards and nominations

Last bit about American democracy... I believe it works up to a certain level... up to county level, American democracy works beautifully... everything is transparent, records are public, budget is clear, objectives are clear, no backdoor dealings, little to none specialty group fundrolling, etc. On the smaller scale, American democracy is gorgeous, and is how Muslim shurah SHOULD but is NOT implemented! Mash'Allah!

aye - we're getting a little off-topic here, but i'll still risk a response since I have plenty of credits on my infraction account - not

Religion IS a big issue in American politics. It does not matter if it's gnostic atheist, christian, muslim, agnostic or bulimic beliefs. They are all fanatics if they use religion as an argument. We are in 2013 - not 1013.

I also agree that the "Tutor" award should be a general award and not specific to one area only.

While a general "Tutor" award would be most convenient, if it's possible, I'd still support a specific "Tutor" award... For example, texturing, modelling, coding, and animations are vastly different, presenting different skill sets and talent.

I'll risk a response too, tee hee... I like stimulating discussion like this, though it would have a more fitting abode in an aptly appropriate thread

Exactly, if "religious" or "atheist" people use their beliefs as an argument (though I'd wager bulimic people wouldn't have much of a running platform lol), this presents all sorts of problems. For example, say in a country of athiests, a theocratic government and morals is forced upon. This is wrong. Similarly, in a country of relgious people, a secular, atheistic governments and morals are forced upon. Similarly wrong. And yes, we are living in 2013 and not 1013, to begin to look past theist or atheist... and instead join together as truthseekers

Quote Originally Posted by TuranianGhazi View Post
    While a general "Tutor" award would be most convenient, if it's possible, I'd still support a specific "Tutor" award... For example, texturing, modelling, coding, and animations are vastly different, presenting different skill sets and talent.

I'll risk a response too, tee hee... I like stimulating discussion like this, though it would have a more fitting abode in an aptly appropriate thread

Exactly, if "religious" or "atheist" people use their beliefs as an argument (though I'd wager bulimic people wouldn't have much of a running platform lol), this presents all sorts of problems. For example, say in a country of athiests, a theocratic government and morals is forced upon. This is wrong. Similarly, in a country of relgious people, a secular, atheistic governments and morals are forced upon. Similarly wrong. And yes, we are living in 2013 and not 1013, to begin to look past theist or atheist... and instead join together as truthseekers
    Well said Sir, the forum for this very interesting debate is here: EMM http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...s-et-Monastica

/off-topic

Thank you kindly, dear Sir, for such a treasure trove of intellectually energizing discussion. I'd take that over any cliche trope sitcom, TV show, or Hollywood movie

/off-topic

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Ishan will be handling this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12