Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Unit multiplier is let's say standard unit size on ultra scale 3 that is the vanilla setting 160 unit multiplier at 1.6 would be 256 per unit. DarthMod multiplier is 2 so that would be 320. To large a multiplier and the unit is too large and that causes formation and path finding problems.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    "I still can't get used to the whole create a line and wait for the enemy to die thing... not exactly the best tactics."
    What does this mean. Is it the formations bin file? Is the Ai army not giving you any challenge. Make sure you play with the largest unit size your PC can handle-this make a huge difference in battles. Do you use any other add on mod for units?
    no no no, I was talking about my lack of skills in gunpowder based TW games

I bet that the changes you made for CAI are not working. I posted a comment in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...95-Campaign-AI

Higher values apparently do not affect AI's behaviour that much, at least I didn't get any. I tried out changing some manager and personality values in my mod taking yours as an example.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

This was a very rude post.

Patrician

Well you just cannot just change those values alone- it is in combination with other files working together. So be rational and test the mod and see and play on hard campaign or very hard.

@Dracula: why has that been a rude post? At least this was not intended, and I don't see any atttacks in my post. I just mentioned that it apparently doesn't work for me. I tried the following:
    1) Apply values not related to battleAI und Unit stats to my mod.
    2) Clicking through ~50-70 turns of a campaign started regulary with Bran's mod playing Plains, so I could go through it as fast as possible without being bothered by AI and battles.

What I have seen is that AI recruits way more and France tends to expand faster. But I definitively have not seen more naval invasions (none of them cross theatre), GB even camped with fullstacks of both armies and navies in ports but didn't board them on ships. If they did so, the respective navy was used as a "normal" navy raiding trade routs.

I feel really sorry if that offends you - as I mentioned, this was absolutely not intended and I'm still not aware I did so. But I simply didn't experience the observations you obviously made in your campaigns. I was, by he way, playing vh campaign difficulty.

Because even if some things are so and so, it is not to be said. And I think there is much improvement. At that one has to bear in mind the AI cannot be fully changed, it is improved in some ways, percentages maybe, but it's not thought and cannot be a new AI, as this game is generally conceived brainless. Just play with what is better and don't expect miracles.

Patrician

Secundus-These settings work fantastic in Napoleon Total War. They work great with DarthMod. Maybe not so well in Empire? I have had a lot of PM reports that they do work well. Maybe you should use DarthMod. In any case it is an improvement on the Vanilla game and that is what is important. SO you have not used my BAI settings?

@bran: hm, these settings working better for NTW may be a good point. Have only tested them for Empire Vanilla, where it is actually an improvement (that's what I said in my previous post), but I wasn't able to figure out better naval inv. and cross theatre things. I didn't use your BAI settings, indeed. Not cause they're bad, but I'm quite content with vanilla settings (apart from some issues on skirmishing and melee-ranged combat attitude, but that doesn't bother me that much).

@Dracula: I didn't use any offensive words, I just stated (very pointedly, I'll give you that) that the mod ON MY COMPUTER doesn't work the way it is described in the first post. Thats's called critic, and Bran handled it well. If you have a problem with people writing dissenting opinion, or think that any negative points must not be said, then that's quite a pity for you. I never postulated a completely new AI (how do you get that???) and I'm well aware that's not possible. I've been modding myself long enough to have a grasp of what to expect. I was, however, quite disappointed about the AI not being visibly smarter in the cases I mentioned above; at least that's what one had to expect after reading the first pages of this thread. If you would have read my posts properly, you would have noticed I absolutely appreciate Bran's work. But ETW is and always has been some kind of enigma, running perfectly and doing things on one's PC, ehile on other's it keeps/kept crashing.
    Last edited by Fridericus Secundus; June 18, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Patrician

These setting were originally from my Napoleon mod. The BAI improves line coherency. It all really works better in Napoleon as that has a tweaked code from Empire. I do not know why CA did not do a final patch for Empire using the lastest build they had for Napoleon. You cannot make the the AI smarter but you can help push it into the direction you want. It does develop its regions and builds upgrade buildings and the minor nations are more active. The main thing is to stop the campaign map from being static and make it active-that was the goal. You should try out the BAI it will give you a better fight.

With the words "I am disapppointed" and "it is not what I expected" is rude, because noone wanted to please you particularly in first place. It is there in general for people to enjoy. Nobody cares how pleased you are. Dissenting oppinions and criticism are of course always OK, as long as you direct them to the points you don't like. But to assess the work in general as disappointing and ineffective is above your prerogative so to say.

Then again, you CAN start hitting everyone on the street with a baseball bat, or doing the same with words, you can, but it is not expected from you to behave so in the civilised world.

Biarchus

Bran, would this work with the TAR mod? Which is powered by Darthmod. If it would work, could you please instruct any additional installation instructions if they are needed. Thanks

Patrician

What is the TAR mod? Is that some submod of DarthMod? There is already my version for DarthMod you can use.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    What is the TAR mod? Is that some submod of DarthMod? There is already my version for DarthMod you can use.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1340-American-Revolution-Mod

Patrician

Well yes you can use this with that mod. Make a back up of the main file for the mod then use the Pack file manager to replace the TAR files with the Bran files.

Biarchus

Thank you for the quick responses, "you are a gentleman and a scholar!" +rep

@Dracula: you have a PM

Patrician

UPDATE: Changed regional defense and recapture behavior-factions will defend regions more, tweaked diplomacy and BAI settings. update in post 1.

Which unit scale in the preferences do you change, there is more than one? Do you change both to 3?

Patrician

Rick-Make sure your unit scale is set for ultra(3) and the campaign unit multiplier to 1.5 or 1.6.