Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Thank you, Bran Mac Born, for a brilliant mod! I'm using Bran's Empire Campaign AI (not the ++ version as I'm using a minimod which adds units), playing as the United States and attempting to take some Iroquois territory.

Battles feel more challenging and more historically authentic. The US army has faced two well-executed Iroquois ambushes. I thought that, with the longer ranges for musket units in your mod, fighting the Iroquois would be easy (as many of their soldiers are melee infantry or cavalry) - I was wrong.

In the second ambush, my US army had a similar experience to the British army in the Battle of the Monongahela in the French and Indian War. As in that historical battle (depicted in an in-game video in the second part of the Road to Independence campaign), my infantry held the line for a while - but, when their general was hit, they broke and ran. Your battle AI defeated me - I'm impressed. I look forward to seeing whether the US can recover from this setback.

I also look forward to seeing how your changes to campaign AI will affect the actions of other factions - so far, I've noticed the Thirteen Colonies and the French colonies recruiting larger armies than usual.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

UPDATE: Fixed file bug by CA causing military building not being upgraded. Post one.
    Thank You for your report and have fun.

Patrician

UPDATE: New diplomacy factor strings tables and diplomacy factor tables- added new string effects so you will see more diplomacy and AI will give offers and demands and accept offers and demands more Re did naval priorities for fleets so they protect ports more with bigger fleets but balanced with attacking enemy ports too. Added trade to fishing fleets and major fishery buildings so there will still be some trade for poor nations too. Post one.

Hi Bran,

i am looking for a stronger/better BAI and CAI but i dont want any other changes to the game, so are there any other changes in the your normal mod?

Patrician

It is for the vanilla game and it is just campaign and battle ai stuff and related files associated with it. The ++ version give each unit more men = better for AI.

You mentioned the changes to trade and diplomacy in the new version. I think you've allowed trade ports to have more trade routes (as well as allowing fishing ports to trade), is that right? The difference in my income is significant. Presumably AI factions benefit from a similar increase in income, which (as you said) should help poorer nations. That sounds good - in the vanilla game, the minor factions seem to inevitably fall (with rare exceptions). So far, it seems to me that AI factions are making more diplomatic offers (and more reasonable offers) to the player, as well as being more likely to accept offers, which I like. Your new version makes diplomacy a lot more satisfying. I haven't played for long enough to see the effects of your revised naval priorities, but they sound good - especially the increased tendency to defend and attack ports, since (with more trade going on) ports will be even more important.

Last night, I was reading David McCullough's book 1776: America and Britain at War. McCullough wrote about a powerful British fleet which arrived at New York and landed a large army; General Washington's soldiers fought hard, but were forced to retreat. This morning, I loaded up the new version of your Campaign AI and started a new game as the US. In 1704, Britain declared war. One British army, starting from Philadelphia, made a determined attack on Albany. An American militia army just managed to hold them off. After the battle, my troops were in sufficiently good shape to advance and liberate Philadelphia. Then, unexpectedly, a powerful British fleet arrived at New York and landed a large army (exactly the British strategy that I was reading about last night!). This British army marched on Boston. Here, both armies had a mix of infantry and cannon. My demi-cannon got lucky hits against their artillery. My infantry, on the reverse slope of a ridge (following the well-known tactic used by Wellington at Waterloo), remained unhurt by enemy artillery fire as my cannon hit the advancing enemy. I won - but only because I got lucky. (edit) if you're wondering why I'm including those details, the point is that - with your mod - I'm thinking much more about battle tactics and campaign strategy, which is good.)

What particularly impresses me about your mod is that, both on the battle map and the campaign map, playing against the AI feels so much more like playing against a human opponent. While I've seen the British land troops in America before with vanilla AI, I would not expect a landing so early or so well-executed. I was surprised and impressed by the prompt and decisive landing by the enemy in New York and their determined attack on Boston with a strong army. I was especially impressed that the Campaign AI did this in 1704, so early in the campaign - this seems exactly the kind of bold move which a human opponent would have made.

(edit) Ottoman Empire turns seemed to be taking longer than usual in the 1710s. Could this be a side-effect of the extra money for factions which comes from the extra trade routes -which might be causing them to recruit more units, possibly triggering the well-known 'Ottoman turn bug'? Alternatively, maybe I'm just unlucky and the Ottoman Empire happen to gave got some units stuck in the usual crossing point in this campaign? I'm still enjoying the campaign a lot .
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 28, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

Hi Bran,

without any expections i tried your ai++ with a few additional mods/changes, to get a better performance ingame

+ Preferences-Script-Setting-for-better-Battle-AI-behavior
    + Epic-Performance-Mod-up-to-50
    + Shokh-Hates-Sieges!
    + 4 turns per year

To make sure i could test the ai in every way i picked sweden and didnt rushed anyone. So i just waited for denmark declaring war before i started.
    Right after the first battle (fullstack vs fullstack) i would agree that the Ai is working fine in battles, because i got suprised in the battle by a huge flank and barely hold it.

Around turn 30 some smaller stats disappeared and a few bigger nations been on the map & the mogul didnt died vs the maraths but it didnt looked well for them. So i decided to invate india to prevent the orange plague.
    Also Ottoman managed to stable and got a few trade agreements and the ottoman turnbug appeared in a small way. I had to make sure this would ruin my campaign later so i started another attack on them too.
    In India my first 2 Armies got splitted and stomped by several orange fullstacks in 3 turns. Later in the campaign i managed to hold some ground in India but every 5 turns the Maraths tried to push me back with 2-3 stacks.
    My lonely army that battled for Istanbul managed to win against the small forces over their...but ottoman came back with 4 fullstacks(!) and i had to send 2 more armies to finaly conquer and hold Istanbul.
    On both fields i underestimated the AIs ability to build armies like this, but the Ottomanturnbug could have ruined my campaing:
    - Is there any option to prevent the Ottoman turnbug with your mod?

While i tried to deal with Pirates i had to fought some naval battles on my own and these battles are realy boring and take a huge amount of time. It seems like the accuracy and speed of the ships is to low.
    Another bug i got, in every capital that got more than 10 armybuilding slots, i cant build armies direct in the city, i have to buy a general to produce armies. (like stockholm, istanbul). The last thing i have seen, every artilery uni is reworked in range, but not the puckle guns.

My ideas, try to prevent the ottoman turnbug and balance the naval battles pls.

Overall a realy good mod.

Patrician

UPDATE: Ship top speeds raised 20% in ++version, new trigger event table, minor nations small money boost, changed non_euro factions defensive priorities. Puckle gun range increased.
    Thanks for the reports. Ottoman turn bug is random. In any case it is caused by the campaign map flaw made by CA. Unless they will release map editing tools for this game it cannot be fixed. So you will have to take that region and hold it.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; June 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM.

I am still in my sweden campaign and tried to test the Update:
    First, Puckle guns work fine with the higher range and are almost as "good" as in the vanilla game, another opinion about them might be good.
    The bug where you cant build units in the cities disappeared for me, did you changed anything about this bran? (if not, i guess just reloading solves this problem)
    I also tried a few more naval battles almost each bigger battle between 2nds or 3rds took like 45minutes and are still as boring as before. The ships are way to slow, also the low accuracy of the ships are realy annoying, 1/40 cannons hits a ship. For now i keep autosolving these. ( i always thought that the vanilla naval battles are pretty ok)

Right now i am around turn 120, a few minor States are left and almost all of these with a capital got pretty huge armies of 5+ stacks. The 4 major European States like the east Russia or Poland got Armies with 15-20 stacks. Spain and France conquered/splitted America, i got no clue what kind of armies they got. The pirates are still active on the see and appear from time to time raiding with 10-15ships.
    To win the campaign i have to conquer regions from Russia/Poland, i ll try to give an update if something important is going to happen.

The AI-mod is still awesome

Patrician

UPDATE: Tweaked projectiles file to give naval gunnery a boost in accuracy and more deadly grape shot Post one.
    Rubinson- play naval battles with speed counter at x2 and wait till you are in range and then put at normal speed then when out of range again turn on x2 speed.
    Vanilla ship movement was way too fast. Naval gun tweak will give you faster battles as your ships will be in danger Play naval battles on normal difficulty-anything higher and your navies will be sunk. Land battles very hard difficulty.

Patrician

UPDATE: Fixed typo in projectiles tables. Post one. Thank You Alwyn.

You're welcome. The increased money (from trade) and the more reasonable diplomacy seems to be having interesting results. In one campaign, Austria gave Silesia to the Mughal Empire in exchange for Gujarat. (This exchange was in the interests of both countries. Austria gained a Mughal 'buffer state' on their border with Prussia. Similarly, by establishing a friendly and neutral Austrian-controlled Gujarat, the Mughal Empire narrowed their long front line against the expanding Maratha Confederacy.) I was happy to see this, as an example of the more unpredictable unfolding of world events which happens with your Campaign AI.

Meanwhile, I've started an AAR, Empire of Liberty, which will (I hope) illustrate the benefits of Bran's Empire Campaign AI in a US campaign.

Patrician

The point was to make it interesting and fun not predictable you never know what will happen next

Patrician

UPDATE: New campaign personalities table, new trigger events table. Factions will protect ports better, France will have better naval tech research. Post one.

The naval battles are still no fun to play. I tried different ships, razees, 2nd, galeons, but all of these ships are just way to slow. I keep autosolving these for now.Second, seems like the ottoman artilery got lower ranges than their european brothers. The orgal cannon and 64er could be reworked (probably the other states like mugal & persia need a look too)

Thank you for the new version, I look forward to trying it.

I'm intrigued by the differences that we could see with the new version - I wonder what sort of effects the updated campaign personalities and trigger effects will have. I'd like to see how AI factions will protect their ports, for example (in the Empire of Liberty campaign, my navy is at an early stage of development, so it may take a while before I have the ships to do that. Maybe I should use small, fast ships more, to see what other countries are doing?).

You mentioned that France will have better naval tech research - it sounds like you are able to cause particular factions to make different choices, which sounds like it could lead to some very interesting effects.

Patrician

Rubinson here is a ++ version without Naval Stats so you can play with vanilla naval settings. Fix for Ottoman and 64 pounder siege gun too SEE POST ONE.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; July 11, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Thx you

The important infos, the ottoman organ gun and the 64lb need to be reworked, the ranges are to short compared to the normal artilery

Patrician

UPDATE: Range change for Ottoman great gun and 64 pounder siege gun and mortar ranges and howisters too. Post one
    Rubinson see post 197 for your fix.

Patrician

UPDATE: Major overhaul of campaign ai personality junction tables to make ai stop making small stacks and make big stacks instead. AI faction will have more religious unrest if you try to convert them. post one