Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Bran Mac Born's DME Mod settings

Sir_Aggelos_GR's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Bran Mac Born's DME Mod settings

Why did you remove FBR?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    UPDATE: Skirmish for all line infantry fixed.-they all volly-mass fire, not fire by rank. Campaign turn crash fixed. Played to 1709-NO Ottoman turn bug!: Tweaked projectile calibration-muskets not as accurate-longer fire fights Tweaked diplomacy and CAI spending for a few faction types for more balance. So test this and report back
    wowowwowo

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Aggelos_GR View Post
    Why did you remove FBR?
    Because it is completely unrealistic (at least the way it works in the game) and it makes units very slow to respond. It sucks when you see the entire unit standing still while the enemy charges because not all men are in ''proper'' posistion. BTW Καλή Ανάσταση.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes it is unrealistic and the ai does not respond when it is in its animation cycle of rank by fire -they just keep doing what they are doing. The main thing is the mass volly fire works better with my BAI settings and that is what is important-better BAI

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Yes it is unrealistic and the ai does not respond when it is in its animation cycle of rank by fire -they just keep doing what they are doing. The main thing is the mass volly fire works better with my BAI settings and that is what is important-better BAI
    I've thoroughly enjoyed your AI mod for Darthmod Napoleon, which still used FBR with your mod when last I played. Does this problem not affect Napoleon as well? I'm also wondering if disabling both FBR and mass volley would not fix the issue instead of having line infantry magically shooting through the backs of soldiers one or two ranks in front of them. Mass volley would also, I think, make even forming a line pointless since there is no need to present a firing line to an enemy when you could just approach in a column and have everyone magically firing through the people in front of them. This would also kill the effectiveness of skirmishers.

I don't mean to complain though. I think you've been doing a grand job. But this latest move has me puzzled.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Did you remove FBR?. If so i am gonna back to original dmpack.
    Last edited by gastovski; May 03, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

I'll give it a try, I want my infantry to be more responsive and fight when I tell them too, FBR or not....

It's so annoying when they all just wait until the stragler gets there in order to fight back against the angry mob charging at them from 100 yards away.

I believe that the way it is right now is the best choice. Troops are responsive and you see the difference in coordination between green and experienced troops, when they fire. If a unit engages some of your men in melee the others will keep firing at point blank range. The accuracy is still too high. A unit of inexperienced line infantry causing 20+ casualties from 100 metres is simply unrealistic. Muskets need to be WAY less accurate unless the firefight is from short range. I also suggest using they pike square formation instead of the hollow square. I hear it works quite well. Really loving the changes so far

Yeah I agree that this release is very nice for the most part, the resposiveness is nice, the battles are more fluid now. I think the accuracy should be perhaps 65% of what it is now

Yeah I was playing a campaign with georgia vs ottoman empire, I bascially raped them with 3 units of Cav and 6 units of militia... I had 1100 men and they had around 1030. I took 19 Casualties because they had mostly melee units and my Cavalry just broke the morale of their units so quickly despite them really not losing that many men.

When it got down to the last few units of their musket troops it only took 1-2 volleys from my militia and they were shredded. The accuracy definitely needs to be toned down as I feel the gun fights are still far to quick and overly effective.

Patrician

UPDATE: Lowered accuracy for militia by 20% and all others by 15% so on average that means marksmanship base for Citizens is 15, Militia is 20, Regular line is 30, Improved Line is 35, and Elites 40-45. I think that is a good balance from my tests. Battle play out better-not too fast and not absurdly long. NOTE: I will make a version with FBR for those who want it Any feedback on the Campaigns?
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; July 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Listen we all know that ETW has many bugs especially in battles and firing drills.Platoon firing has been removed,Fire and advance has been removed,Fire by rank removed.These techs still remain and do nothing.I had suggested putting another effect on these(etc +5% reloading skill,or faster movement..).The problem is can these firing drills be tweaked further?You say they react slow,i have seen these,what can we do about this?
    Because you are among the least they can mod and be active,Can you try tweak the 3 major firing drills?
    In my opinion no removal for all 3.Fire by will/mass fire only to undisciplined troops militia/mobs,tactical army should fire with drills, either 1 of them or more.Can you retry tweak the 3 firing drills and keep mass fire to militia?

PS:i Dont know if it can be done to order them fire by rank from long distance and at very close quarters to switch to mass fire
    By the way i have started a campaign that test the version you make in the end of page 2,i will give feed back when i would have played enough
    Last edited by Sir_Aggelos_GR; May 04, 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Drewh313 View Post
    I've thoroughly enjoyed your AI mod for Darthmod Napoleon, which still used FBR with your mod when last I played. Does this problem not affect Napoleon as well? I'm also wondering if disabling both FBR and mass volley would not fix the issue instead of having line infantry magically shooting through the backs of soldiers one or two ranks in front of them. Mass volley would also, I think, make even forming a line pointless since there is no need to present a firing line to an enemy when you could just approach in a column and have everyone magically firing through the people in front of them. This would also kill the effectiveness of skirmishers.

I don't mean to complain though. I think you've been doing a grand job. But this latest move has me puzzled.
    Yeah, it makes sense. Probably, we need to do tighter formations. Probably to 0.8 or lower. It would give a feel of not all units firing from the back of each other, only when unit can see the enemy in front!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Aggelos_GR View Post
    Listen we all know that ETW has many bugs especially in battles and firing drills.Platoon firing has been removed,Fire and advance has been removed,Fire by rank removed.These techs still remain and do nothing.I had suggested putting another effect on these(etc +5% reloading skill,or faster movement..).The problem is can these firing drills be tweaked further?You say they react slow,i have seen these,what can we do about this?
    Because you are among the least they can mod and be active,Can you try tweak the 3 major firing drills?
    In my opinion no removal for all 3.Fire by will/mass fire only to undisciplined troops militia/mobs,tactical army should fire with drills, either 1 of them or more.Can you retry tweak the 3 firing drills and keep mass fire to militia?

PS:i Dont know if it can be done to order them fire by rank from long distance and at very close quarters to switch to mass fire
    By the way i have started a campaign that test the version you make in the end of page 2,i will give feed back when i would have played enough
    I agree that we should give some bonus to the techs to make them worth researching. Now about the drills: The problem is that units become ''locked'' so to speak in performing the drill and their reactions become terrible. That seems to be hardcoded.
    Also, in-game, volley fire seems to be much more effective. You would have to give ridiculous bonuses to the drills and even then you would see the difference.
    EDIT:I agree that low quality troops should be TERRIBLE at shooting but I think that reducing accuary for all units is not the best way to make muskets more realistic. Perhaps a universal increase on the spread of the projectiles would be better. It is the musket accuracy at long range that needs to be changed.
    Last edited by Elianus; May 04, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

what about reload speeds? last i played, line infantry reloaded at around 8-10 seconds. only elites should be anywhere near that. regular line should be 20 seconds. better, expensive troops like britain and prussia should be 15. elites 10-12.

light infantry should be at 28 seconds, even longer if they're firing rifles. missle cav should also have much lower accuracy if they're firing carbines, and shouldn't be able to mass fire. its ridiculous.

also, while we're on the subject of unit tiers, can you mod it so every nation can recruit superior line infantry? idk why certain nations get them when they were more quantity over quality focused. or at least specialize each countries units. britain should have the best shooting, but most expensive to maintain line infantry. that way you have to augment them with mercs or keep the naval focus and build more alliances, like it was historically
    Last edited by NYG 5; May 04, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    I agree that we should give some bonus to the techs to make them worth researching. Now about the drills: The problem is that units become ''locked'' so to speak in performing the drill and their reactions become terrible. That seems to be hardcoded.
    Also, in-game, volley fire seems to be much more effective. You would have to give ridiculous bonuses to the drills and even then you would see the difference.
    EDIT:I agree that low quality troops should be TERRIBLE at shooting but I think that reducing accuary for all units is not the best way to make muskets more realistic. Perhaps a universal increase on the spread of the projectiles would be better. It is the musket accuracy at long range that needs to be changed.
    Agreed.

It seems that firing drills dont work well,but where that bad at previous versions of darthmod?I bebieve no.These problems started now.
    I dont have a problem increasing reloading times.
    But we have to retry fix firing drills again before we throw them.If once were good they could be done again.
    For me the main <problem> of the game is that had become very easy in battles.Its ok i have improved myself in comparison with the years i started,but at this time battles seem very easy to me even if i play in vh/vh.Give me carcass and FBR and BAI is very easy to beat.
    So far noone can make a BAI that will challange me to lose a battle,unless im heavily outnumbered.
    Last edited by Sir_Aggelos_GR; May 04, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

They never worked well enough and I seriously doubt that we can make them decent.

Yeah I don't know what it is exactly but its just too easy to win battles now. All of the firearms are too lethal and they still reload very quickly even militia units with no experience, I'm seeing men dropping by the dozens per volley even at long ranges. The morale of troops breaks very quickly, Cavalry is way overpowered, to the point there is no reason to recruit infantry, just bring cavalry and you are guarenteed a win with relatively few losses.

I like how you have smoothed out unit firing response times and the campaign AI and removal of bugs is very nice, but for battles in general its just not for me right now. I appreciate all the work you do for the community and I really enjoyed your settings for napoleon but currently it just doesnt feel right in empire.

I think I will hop back to original darthmod for now and try out your later releases.

Patrician

UPDATE: Tweaked morale settings for more realistic effect. Lowered accuracy of muskets at long range. Still working on FBR version so hold on. Tyockell18- I did not make Cavalry more powerful they have the original settings-in fact I have not modded the unit stats land other than marksmanship. The morale of troops is based on experience-green troops should break-Elites will not. I will raise up the morale a little bit and see if that helps out.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; July 19, 2013 at 02:24 PM.