Thread: Damages

tonymurphy1888's Avatar Senator

Default Damages

Damages Okay, My name is Tony, and I’m a TVoholic *Hi Tony*, I am particularly addicted to American TV drama ranging from the recently finished House, to the still running walking dead, In the past few years I have packed my head with as much TV garbage as one person can possibly take seeing some really cracking TV (like House and The walking dead) and some really poor TV (Like Jericho and arrested development) Recently my addiction to TV has been made worse by the introduction of Netflix to the UK. As you probably already know watching TV qualifies you more than Spielberg to comment on the quality of it, which brings me to my point. I have decided I will become the best TV review dude in the world, Luckily this epiphany has come to me at 2:23 on a Friday morning so It’s got to be a legit epiphany, like the kind you have in a tent you have been coaxed into by a boob lady native American. So the first series I will attempt to review is Damages (season 1); Damages is an American legal thriller (stole that bit from Wikipedia) In which we follow the journey of a young Lawyer named Ellen Parsons who has found her way into the clutches of the brilliant legal mind that is Patty Hewes , Patty Hewes is put basically, a rare bastard (as I’m sure you can imagine all great legal minds are) Who will do anything, even the dodgey stuff to win a case.

Story
    Right the story is basically Arthur Frobisher, aka some rich guy is being a rich guy and ******** on his employees, or I should say has **** on his employees, His company is now dead and after he is proven not guilty at a criminal trial, he is being taken to court for telling all his employees to buy stock in his company because he’s a nice guy and he’s going to look after them BUT!!! He wasn’t a nice guy and he done did some funky stock magic **** and screwed them over. So in this season it is the job of Patty hews and her prodigy Ellen Parsons to catch the big bad rich man using every shady trick in the book. Another story runs parallel to this story and it is the story of Ellen and her boyfriend and how he thinks Patty is not a very nice person to work with and that she is corrupting his beautiful rose. Right, as cheesy and baws as that sounds, It’s actually not bad at all, the director has a very interesting way of developing characters and the way he directs the boyfriend storyline is really good. One of the things I disliked was Patty played a heartless cow, that was her M.O and later in the season after an incident they turned her into a blubbering wreck, I mean that kind of character breakdown is something that should be kept for a later season, I‘d prefer you developed a relationship with the character gradually to find out she has a soft center beneath that rock hard shell like every other series in the history of time. Or maybe I’m just a Timex in a digital age?

Favorite characters
    My favorite characters would be Ray Fiske (Played by Zeljko Ivanek ) Who plays Arthur Frobisher’s Lawyer, early on he doesn’t play a huge roll, but his interactions with Patty are very good and his performances later on in the series are very solid also Uncle Pete (who is played by Tom Aldredge , who is apparently dead now *sadface*) Is a ****ing boss character, he basically does all of patty’s dirty work for her, he plays his character very well.

**** characters

Her boyfriend. Wow! I wanted to beat this guy to a pulp almost every time he was on screen. And not in the way you just want to beat King Geoffrey in Game of thrones because he’s a heartless little smug-faced rat. Or the way you want to punch anyone of the Malfoys in Harry Potter. No the reason you want to beat these people is because the writer wants you to want to beat them. This boyfriend chap is just such a whiney little *****, he genuinely has some serious concerns to raise about various things but every time he comes on screen you can’t help but shouting at the screen in an American accent “Why don’t you go cry about it, *****!!” also his sister (maybe it’s a family thing) she is… well she is him!!! She is everything I just said, she has quite a significant role to play but she just seems to be one of those self-centered blonds who focuses on her stupid problems while people are being utterly ****ed all around her, and the kind of person who is gullible to the point of annoyance.

To summarize I was pleasantly surprised by this series it held my attention and I have started the second season, if you feel you don’t want to commit to a series that is still running and will probably run for 3 seasons more than it needs like most series are nowadays (I’m talking to you lost) then I feel you could watch one season and then just leave it at that I didn’t feel pressured by very interesting storyline to chase it into the second season ( see I feel this review is a bit bare but I don’t want to spoil ****.. this reviewer **** is harder than I thought, damn!) Well Big Tony’s Review would be a solid 6/10 Why? I don’t bloody care why, I started writing this 20 minutes ago, I’m over this bloody fad!!!
    Last edited by tonymurphy1888; April 13, 2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: A wee bit fixed? You blood sucking grammer nazis...
    Yes, friends, governments in capitalist society are but committees of the rich to manage the affairs of the capitalist class.
    -James Connolly

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Damages

Paragraphs are our friends.

If I've read this correctly it's a review? there is a sub forum for reviews..

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Oh God man! Havnt you been to School?

I wont read a block of text. Hurts my delicate eyes.

tonymurphy1888's Avatar Senator

Apologies guys, I tried to post this yesterday, and for some reason when I copied it from word it turned into a ball of text, then the fourm **** it's nickers and I didn't even think it posted. So I apologize for that. Thank you for persevering and reading Halie Satanus, and other guy... You crushed my soul. If an admin would be so kind as to move this to the appropriate place I would be very grateful.

P.s All in all I would say this was a pretty good attempt at my first post in the arts section. *facepalm* (Stick to the mudpit Tony they can't smell blood in the mudpit)
    Yes, friends, governments in capitalist society are but committees of the rich to manage the affairs of the capitalist class.
    -James Connolly

The best reason to watch Damages is the hauntingly lovely and fragile Australian actress Rose Byrne.
    Gorgeous Rose

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Rose Byrne Hngggggggg.