Thread: Scriptorium Editorial for April 2013

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Scriptorium Editorial for April 2013

Greetings all and welcome to the Scriptorium's Editorial for April 2013! We have a lot of exciting news this time around including the winners for the 2013 Winter Writing Competition! A special TWC anniversary segment is also included along with some general Scriptorium news as well as our most recently added articles. We also have reviews of all the medal winners, so be sure to check those out!

Top News

Winter 2013 Competition Winners

We apologize for the delay in getting this Editorial out to announce the winners, but the site instability severely hampered our efforts. In addition, with the number of amazing entries we got this year, it was very difficult to decide on the Librarian's Choice winner. We had so many great entries and the sheer caliber of quality was absolutely amazing! We really had a hard time deciding on the winner, it was very, very close! So, without further delay, here are the winners!

Overall Winners
    1st: Sands of Britannia, by Inarus
    2nd: For My Lady, by General Brewster
    3rd: Golden Spurs, by Heiro de Bodemloze

Librarian's Choice
    - Scipio: The Bane of Carthage, by Dance

Category Reputation Winners
    50 Rep to runner-ups and 25 to second runner-ups
    Themed
    Runner-Up: Aquila Invicta, by Basileos Leandros I
    Second Runner-Up: A Call for War, by Heathen Storm

Long
    Runner-Up: Johnny, by Dance
    Second Runner-Up: Roof Garden, by Justinian

Short
    Runner-Up: Was, by Schrödinger
    Second Runner-Up: Unending Qualms of the Legendary Bandit King, by Dance

Honorable Mentions
    As I said above we had so many great contenders this time, I just wanted to spotlight a few in addition to the winners along with my thoughts on them.

Roof Garden, by Justinian
    A truly awe inspiring piece that will take you on an emotional journey. Definitely check this one out!

Virtual Reality, by alex_shields

A very unique and original piece that will capture your imagination and immediately have you hooked!

Caesar Rap, by Ybbon
    I love this one so much! Seriously, this one deserves lots of love, as I'm sure it took lots of love to compose such epic rhymes!

Total War Center's 10th Anniversary!
    That's right! This month we are celebrating TWC's 10th Anniversary! In honor of this most momentous occasion I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on the history of the Scriptorium as well as highlight some of our earliest additions.

The Scriptorium was established in early 2006 as a place to preserve the best of TWC. At that time gigagaia presided over the Scriptorium, but since then the Scriptorium has seen a number of great leaders including Chloe, jimkatalanos, and more recently, the great Hader. Many of the earliest additions to the Scriptorium were history articles with the occasional Total War Guide interspersed between them. Take a few moments when you get a chance and visit our oldest holdings. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of them. You may find yourself lost amongst these threads, much like visiting old friends.

-Back to Top-

Other News

Art Invasion!
    Some of you may have noticed that the Scriptorium has been managing the Game Reviews forum for awhile now. Well, we are now adding the Art's Review forum to our domain. We encourage you to browse the reviews already in both of these fora and submit your own! There are plenty of great reviews there for your perusal and yours could be among them!

Reinforcements Required!
    The Scriptorium may have a need for a few more librarians. Anyone interested is invited to apply via PM to the chief librarian, StealthFox.

-Back to Top-

Recent Articles

Below is a list of all articles added to the Scriptorium catalogs since the time of our last editorial in January 2013.

Recently Added Articles

January 2013
    Creating a World - Reduced City Textures -added
    Creating a World - Height Map with 3Dem
    -added
    Creating a World - Unpacking the Game -added
    Creating a World - Editable Settlement Faction Symbols -added
    Creating a World - Killing characters multiple ways -added
    Creating a World - Named Forts -added 08.01.13

February 2013
    The Music of the Counter-Culture Era - Added 15.02.13
    [AAR] Julian, Savior of Rome? - Added 06.02.13

March 2013
    Kings and cities in the Hellenistic World - Added 06.03.13

April 2013
    [M2TW Guide] Vampiresbane's Art of Diplomacy

-Back to Top-

Article Reviews

1st: Sands of Britannia, by Inarus - Review by Princess Luna

It is the year 55 BC. Roman ships full of soldiers reached the shores of a far away island. Britannia.

This magnificent story portray that day. When the Romans fight the Britons for the first time on the shores of this hostile land.
    For the glory of Cæsar and the roman republic they slaughter down the natives, pushing towards glory.
    Javelins being thrown, men and horses dying in the sand and water.
    It captures to moment as I would thing it was to the Romans.

The length is good for a short read, the language is used and it seems historically accurate.
    So do not hesitate before reading this! Inarus has by this made himself more than worthy for this years gold medal!

- Princess Luna

2nd: For My Lady, by General Brewster - Review by Princess Luna

This time the shortest entry won! Granted; it might have won the short category.
    But even so it less than a third of the length of the other submissions.
    It is also the only poem submitted this year. And it still won.
    Or, maybe that was why it won?

The writer has by this shown himself as the kind of poet TWC enjoy the works of.
    If that's that a good thing or a bad thing for him, I do not know.
    Clearly these fora are as obsessed with love and romantics as every other place,
    ]and writing a poem about those themes can never seem out of place. Especially if it is good.
    Like I, despite my lack of knowledge about poems, can say this one is.
    It has a fine length and beautiful metaphors. It has a romantic feel to it, but not in a cliche way.
    Therefore we are happy to recognize the choice which the community has made,
    and give the silver medal to the poet General Brewster!

-Princess Luna

3rd: Golden Spurs, by Heiro de Bodemloze - Review by Mhaedros

Golden Spurs is a portrayal of a medieval battle, which focuses on Lord Robert de Artois and his assignment to defeat a Flemish rebellion. It brilliantly portrays the arrogance of the nobility and how fast you can be pulled to the ground that is reality. A reality that is all too easily forgotten.

Golden Spurs is brilliantly written, but rather short. Heiro de Bodemloze seems to focus on less important things and the story has the Russian novel-problem; introducing too many new characters unimportant to the plot. Despite all of these however it is a truly great read and definitely worthy of the medal.

-Mhaedros

Librarian's Choice: Scipio: The Bane of Carthage, by Dance - Review by StealthFox

Like an out of body experience Dance's "Scipio: The Bane of Carthage," transports you back in time to the deserts of North Africa. The vivid descriptions and details allow one to easily imagine standing right next to the great Scipio. Indeed, alongside him as he converses with his troops, surveys the land, and eventually confronts his mortal adversary, Hannibal. You are with him every step of the way, right up to the point of battle. Sadly, though, the one flaw with this piece is that it is too short, and we do not get to stand aside Scipio in perhaps his finest hour. Having been captivated by the words of Jesse James, you'll certainly be wanting more.

-StealthFox

-Back to Top-

Closing Remarks

Thanks to all who entered the writing competition and congratulations to the winners! We'll have another writing competition this summer starting around August.

Also, we're always on the watch for new additions to our collections. If you have something you think is worthy of being saved here please PM any librarian.

Thanks for reading the editorial this month!

Valete!

The Scriptorium Team

Princess Luna - Writer & Librarian
    Gen. Chris - Writer & Librarian
    Mhaedros - Writer & Librarian
    PikeStance - Writer & Librarian
    StealthFox - Chief Librarian & Editor

As you can see we have a fine array of news sources focusing on various aspects and individuals of the Total War Center. Check out our other publications and news sources!

-Back to Top-
    Last edited by StealthFox; April 10, 2013 at 02:12 PM.