Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 533 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

Default RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 533 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

I have been replaying again Rome Total War, and now that I have free time I am starting to think about making a second part of my mod. I have been studying the different possibilities and I am thinking of making a submod starting in 527 AD (basically because Justinian gets to the throne).

The main changes would be that the Rugians, Alamanni, Kingdom of Odoacer and Western Roman Empire would be gone.

The new faction for sure will be the Eastern Roman Empire. I am studying the possibility of including Visigoths Rebels, maybe Gepids, and a Avar horde invasion.

What are your thoughts about it? I would require help on some scripting and some unit creation, the rest I could handle myself.

I have some doubts, for example, if the Jutes should still be a faction or make place for somebody else, or if I should add Danes.

The map would maybe be made a bit bigger to show the territories of the gepids.
    Last edited by Boz; April 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

NEW VERSION OF RUINS OF GLORY RELEASED!!! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 527 AD)

This looks interesting

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 527 AD)

I have been thinking further and working a bit on it and I thinking I will do this:

The new factions will be Byzantine Empire, Gepids, Avars (spawning in 557, I haven't found any info about the Avars being close to Europe in 527) and the Aestii, a Baltic tribe that fought against the Slavs. In the end, I have decided that I won't be making a Visigoth Uprising faction, as they wouldn't be more than Visigoths repainted. Instead, I will be making that the Ostrogoths are shadowing them, so they will have they're characteristic rebellions.

I am not very sure about the Aestii, they would be fun as they were very rich with the amber, and they will make a powerful foe for the slavs that expand too much, besides being allied with the Ostrogoths. By the other side it is the typical faction represented by rebels, as even if they probably were engaged in wars in this period, only with the Slavs and most surely ending in defeat.

Other option are different Berber/Mauri tribes/kingdoms, but I can't make out the differences and importance between them. I could make a very romanised Kingdom of Altava, and a more nomadic Mauri Tribes, but it is very foggy the difference between them, and info is very scarce. (any help would be very appreciated).

My main worry is that the Avars appear too late, and I would need to make another very different campaign just to be able to start with them. I am starting to think I would need to "bend" history and make them appear at the starting of the mod, to the very end of the map, but already there.

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

very good news. i´m a big fan of rog! if you need some historic infos especially about the thuringian, frisian and saxon faction i could help you. in the moment i help the IB II Team.

Here are the first images of the progress made:

From left to right: Byzantine Empire logo, Avars logo, and Byzantinian Equites and Infantry.

I have done a bit of mapping and the map will be extended to show the territory of the Gepids further east till more or less Athens. Most probably the last fourth faction will be the Aesti (Balts), but this will remain open to change till the last minute.

Any suggestion about new units, interesting ideas or some faction you would want to see would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by Boz; April 14, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    Here are the first images of the progress made:

From left to right: Byzantine Empire logo, Avars logo, and Byzantinian Equites and Infantry.

I have done a bit of mapping and the map will be extended to show the territory of the Gepids further east till more or less Athens. Most probably the last fourth faction will be the Aesti (Balts), but this will remain open to change till the last minute.

Any suggestion about new units, interesting ideas or some faction you would want to see would be very appreciated.
    I'm very excited about this and would love to help where I can. One quick comment: Please drop any reference to a so called Byzantine Empire. No such entity ever existed! Belisarius and Justinian considered them selves as Romans.

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 527 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

Yes, it should be referred to as ERE or just Roman Empire (since no more west).
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 527 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

There wasn't any WRE to exist ERE too.

So, just as Roman Empire (Imperium Romanorum).

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

Quote Originally Posted by Alkimachos View Post
    There wasn't any WRE to exist ERE too.

So, just as Roman Empire (Imperium Romanorum).
    Perfect. That is historically accurate. On an other topic: will the new mod use Rio's Roman Glory map? Will the map cover Spain, Gaul, even Britain? How about the east? I have been hoping for something like this for a long time.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Bigger map is always better than small map so thumbs up for that. The time frame you had decided is interesting. The rise of the Byzantine Empire is one interesting thing to watch or even destroy if you play as a barbarian faction. About the factions you can add the Bulgars (they are still tribes) and they are located north of Crimean Peninsula.
    It would be nice if you finish this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    Bigger map is always better than small map so thumbs up for that. The time frame you had decided is interesting. The rise of the Byzantine Empire is one interesting thing to watch or even destroy if you play as a barbarian faction. About the factions you can add the Bulgars (they are still tribes) and they are located north of Crimean Peninsula.
    It would be nice if you finish this mod.
    What's a Byzantine Empire?

Thanks to all for comments and thoughts .

About the Byzantine debate: I was thinking of using it as it is a normal historical term to refer to them (as it is a handy term to differentiate them), but if you prefer I'll leave them as "Roman Empire", as there isn't any other Romans to confuse with.

Lioneljoe, at this time I'am having a bit of trouble finding a suitable Gepid symbol to use as logo, and a bit of historical info for the units.

The map will be the same that before, extending it further east to cover most of Greece (till Athens more or less) but without showing Constantinople nor other cities. Why this? If I expand further the map, I would need to include the Sassanids to balance the Romans, and then I would be in need of creating some other factions to balance the Sassanids, as I am limited for the factions issue I really can't expand it further. I am planning to include a script to reduce the money of the Romans when they entered in war with the Sassanids, to represent the historical lack of funds that affected Justinian's conquests.

GeorgiBG, I was thinking of including the Kutrigurs/Bulgars, but I am not sure if they would be active inside the area of the map. They were allies of the Gepids in 550, but before making much impact Justinian allied with the Utigurs which made yet another alliance with the Crimean Ostrogoths to attack the homelad of the Kutrigurs and they had to retreat, so I am not sure if to include them or not.

Boz, I will reserach my own library for anything about the Gepids. In the meantime I ordered a copy of"An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Uniforms of the Roman World: A detailed study of the armies of Rome and their enemies, including the Etruscans, ... Gauls, Huns, Sassaids, Persians and Turks" by Kevin Kiley (2007)

The book covers the uniforms of the late Roman Empire (including 6th Century) and the uniforms of Roman enemies.

Lioneljoe, thanks, it will be much appreciated as the Gepids are some of the most obscure germanic tribes. That book has a very interesting title. Tell me when you get it if it is a good book!

Here I show you some of the progress with the map, the regions that will be added in Africa.

I have decided for these cities, as they seemed the most important ones. Cyrene was in ruins in 533, and Saragina only appears in a 1907 roman map, but is the only settlement I can put there (there probably isn't any town even now).

I have changed the name of Berenice to Arae Philaenorum, as I discovered it was far misplaced in the original ROG. I have now added Berenice where it should be.

Looks good.... will you be able to squeeze in Constantinople?

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 533 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

Lioneljoe, it would be nice to have it, but I have decided for the sake of game playability to leave it out. If I give the Byzantines so many cities, they would be vastly rich and strong, and impossible to beat, so I have extended the map the minimum possible.

I come with further upgrade, this time with the map coverage of greece:

Methone was quite important at this time and was the port from where Belisarius departed to africa, so that is why I've included it (I haven't yet included the port due to some problems but I'll do it later).

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: RUINS OF GLORY: REBORN EMPIRE (Belisarius campaign mod starting in 533 AD) FIRST IMAGES PREVIEW

Seems very nice!!

If the Roman Capital Constantinople is not on the map, how will new family members be brought on to the map?

Lioneljoe, I will have to choose a capital (renamed to just say "important city"), and I suppose I will choose Thessaloniki.

Looking forward to see next version of your mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast