Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Various Info from the San Francisco Event

Default Various Info from the San Francisco Event

First of all I'd like to thank the guys at CA, Sega, and TWC and other forums who were there, they were all very nice and it was a great event! Here's some info that was confirmed/explained further:

1. Flaming pigs are confirmed!

2. Armies on the campaign map can be set to certain stances. For example, an army set to forced march will be able to go further, but the various drawbacks include a vulnerability to ambush. Other stances include the ambush stance, and there was another that I can't recall.

3. Someone asked about city-view, and they said that if there was enough demand they would put it in. Mike Simpson mentioned that he personally wouldn't use such a mode, but if enough of the player base wanted it then it was doable.

4. I asked about sea-regions. They explained that yes, the sea will be divided into several regions, and that a navy in a particular region will have dominance over that region. However, it was mentioned that a zone of control effect would still be in play in some ways, such as raiding trade routes. Like armies, navies can be placed in certain stances (raid, patrol/defend, etc). I think this will make more sense as we get more previews and some campaign map footage.

5. They reiterated the previous info about line-of-sight and scouting. Craig made a point to say that heavy infantry are bad for scouting, not that he was speaking from experience or anything.

6. The end game depends on how you have decided to play throughout the campaign. If you are wary and appease contending families/nobility/etc within your faction, your end game will be different than if you choose to defy all of them. For Rome, you could choose to either defend the Republic and the Senate, or challenge the other families and the Senate yourself. It was also noted that other factions would have similar, yet unique iterations of this idea.

7. The four seasons will be in the game, even though it is one turn per year. How exactly this will be implemented is still up for debate. Battlefields will 100% have different seasons. I think this will be elaborated on later.

8. It seems as though there will be a blood pack similar to Shogun 2, due to the ratings issues, but I don't believe anything was confirmed yet.

9. I asked about Armenia and Pontus as possible dlc candidates, and mentioned that "The Poison King" DLC pack would be a catchy title. Unfortunately there is not answer to this just yet. I also asked if Armenian legionnaires would be making a reappearance, but this was not confirmed either.

10. The CPU/GPU usage will be more efficient to a degree on the low end, but on the high end things will be pretty similar to Shogun 2 in terms of CPU/GPU usage. I'm not that much of a technically minded guy so perhaps someone else can explain that better than I can.

11. You will be able to see your cities grow more progressively on the campaign map. As you build individual buildings, you will be able to see them appear on the campaign map.

12. The map for the Battle of Teutoburg Forest will be available on the campaign map if you are fighting a battle on that particular tile.

13. The game looks GREAT! I'm sure animations will be made more smooth as we get closer to the release date. It was great to see the Roman soldiers raising their shields to block arrows.

14. The Eastern edge of the map MAY extend farther than Bactria. Perhaps I misunderstood but they said that the Eastern edge of the map has not been revealed yet.

Well that's all for now I think.
    Last edited by Drtad; March 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Various Info from the San Francisco Event

Your an absolute lad for doing this.

Sounds great.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

HOW WERE THE SNACKS?

Thank you for sharing.

I am guessing this was a closed event with no footage allowed?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Did they allow you to play ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Oh my face!

One of the soldiers screamed this when he got hit by an arrow, the entire room laughed. There is a lot more ambience like that in game.

The battle overview map looks pretty handy. It gives a really good overview of the tactical situation and you can issue movement orders from the battle view though you cannot give formation or weapon orders from battle view. Line of sight has been reworked so you have to scout much more effectively.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

You were there as well? Ninja.

Is this game "the one"? It sounds sweet from what you say.

Also how were those darn snacks?

I like the news about scouting It'll make my light cavalry zerging even more fun

In regards to number 6 on your list; did they go into specifics in how it would change? Are we talking "simply" civil war versus no civil war and thus becoming emperor/keeping the republic or is it something more elaborate? Did they say if it was possible for one of the AI-controlled families to try to make a grab for dictatorship?

Did they say anything about the northern end of the map? Will parts of Russia etc be included or will we see a boundary at roughly the place as in Spartan_Warrior's map?

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I like the sound of the ambiance/atmospheric approach.

Soundsgoodman.jpg

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Oh thanks for posting!
    Tell us about the snacks!!! we must know!
    Last edited by Rijul.J.Ballal; March 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

we need a tell us about the snacks meme already it seems! Who's gonna get on it?

That's good news about the city-view. As they've said, we need to show support for such a thing, so let's get on it!

interested in the possible eastern edge of map extension too.

I wonder how many "sea-regions" there will be. This could be a maker or break aspect to the naval side of the game... interested to find out! .. he exclaimed non-chalantly
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

No...seriously, how the **** were the snacks?

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

I think people worry too much about the naval system...
    And someone please tell me about the snacks! CA i will not buy the game if the snacks you give are not adequate!

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

1. Flaming pigs are confirmed!
    yesh.
    12. The map for the Battle of Teutoburg Forest will be available on the campaign map if you are fighting a battle on that particular tile.
    I hope it works out like it used to.
    3. Someone asked about city-view, and they said that if there was enough demand they would put it in. Mike Simpson mentioned that he personally wouldn't use such a mode, but if enough of the player base wanted it then it was doable.
    Yesh.

Juraj103's Avatar Foederatus

Verry GOOD

Did they show the campaign map at all?

Anything unrelated to the battle of Teutoberg that is?

Is it a joke? Please say yes...

thank you for sharing and asking about the naval regions. hopefully we would actually see it one day.

I just wish someone also asked about the battle map thing (is it like shogun 2 or is it like medieval 2?)

Oh yeah! The unit cards were artsy and stylized in a Greco-Roman way as Shogun 2 (sengoku/rots) unit cards had Japanese art style unit cards. I thought they looked great (though perhaps some people wouldn't like them), and I noticed little bars on the unit cards that could have something to do with morale? Perhaps troop numbers. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Did they allow you to play ?
    Nope, they played the Battle of Teutoburg real time for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Oh my face!

One of the soldiers screamed this when he got hit by an arrow, the entire room laughed. There is a lot more ambience like that in game.

The battle overview map looks pretty handy. It gives a really good overview of the tactical situation and you can issue movement orders from the battle view though you cannot give formation or weapon orders from battle view. Line of sight has been reworked so you have to scout much more effectively.
    Yes tactical view! Mike Simpson mentioned that they could change tactical view so that you couldn't make any movement decisions from there either, but they are still debating. It was nice meeting you.

And I second that the ambiance in terms of battle sounds were much improved from Shogun 2 (and I thought Shogun 2 was great in that regard). The graphics were also stunning... the environment and the Roman legions both looked fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    HOW WERE THE SNACKS?
    They were nice! I enjoyed the assortment of cheeses...

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Swede View Post
    In regards to number 6 on your list; did they go into specifics in how it would change? Are we talking "simply" civil war versus no civil war and thus becoming emperor/keeping the republic or is it something more elaborate? Did they say if it was possible for one of the AI-controlled families to try to make a grab for dictatorship?
    I'd imagine that AI families would be able to choose if they want to seize power if they so choose and are strong enough. Since we haven't seen exactly how this will work I'm not ready to speculate.

Did they say anything about the northern end of the map? Will parts of Russia etc be included or will we see a boundary at roughly the place as in Spartan_Warrior's map?
    There weren't any questions about the Northern or Southern ends of the map, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    That's good news about the city-view. As they've said, we need to show support for such a thing, so let's get on it!
    Yes Mike Simpson stated that it was doable but seemed surprised that people were so interested in it. I suppose he never liked city view too much, and possibly even forgot about it.. Honestly I never really cared for it myself, but that's just me.

I wonder how many "sea-regions" there will be. This could be a maker or break aspect to the naval side of the game... interested to find out! .. he exclaimed non-chalantly
    I imagine they'll have a sizable number of sea regions. I liked the way it worked in Med 1 (not the troop transport aspect), though looking back it was a little constricting. Again, too early to speculate I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nochyan View Post
    Did they show the campaign map at all?

Anything unrelated to the battle of Teutoberg that is?
    Nope.

I just wish someone also asked about the battle map thing (is it like shogun 2 or is it like medieval 2?)
    About that, they mentioned that the Battle of Teutoburg map (which was quite epic, large, with diverse areas to fight) was available on the campaign map on a particular tile on the map. This in itself is a departure from Shogun 2, which didn't have the historical battle maps on the campaign map (I don't think it did anyway).
    Last edited by Drtad; March 27, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast