Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: (updated 2/26/2019) My new and improved AI errr 3.0

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default (updated 2/26/2019) My new and improved AI errr 3.0

BIG Edit: It has come to my attention that the newer versions of "Skynet AI" found here https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...5596-Skynet-AI incorporates my own AI changes amongst the far more rigorous and up-to-date research that the good people in the AI forums have been up to. I would recommend that any folk go and use this AI rather than my own, as I have great faith in those folk and frankly its been a fair few years since I was even lightly active.

This AI shall change your game greatly presenting you with a much more intelligent opponent on the campaign map.
    it's suggested you do not play it on veryhard difficulty unless you like pain.

Feature List

• Smart Defensive AI. will defend key cities and sue for peace when losing or outnumbered.
    • Attacking with more than one army at once and at multiple points.
    • Supports Allies with force.
    • Less pesky declarations of war from naval blockades.
    • Aggressive Rebels that WILL fight you and won't leave their cities unguarded.
    • A new and improved battle AI! (Watered down version of G5RBAI)
    • Tiny little file size and high compatibility. you really have no reason not to try this out!

Overall I would say it is an Advantageous AI. Not Aggressive because scripts stop it from fighting on too many fronts and not defensive because it will take advantage if you leave your back door open.
    I had a dream. a dream of competent AI!

Download and Installation
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just copy over into your Data file AFTER setup, really that simple. if you want a different link then just ask but for now mediafire will do. you may also need to unzip first. REMEMBER TO BACKUP INCASE FOR SOME REASON IT BREAKS EVERYTHING. shouldn't though

I have also included an advice file below which includes a list of things I haven't included in the file, and just general AI advice to people making mods that anybody can implement, here is the advice file if you don't want to download the misc pack.

In the important sections of descr_campaign_db are the attack modifiers under the AI section.

<att_str_modifier float = "0.85"/> <!-- modifies the effective attackers strength when determining the priority of making attack decision (i.e. att_def_strength_ratio = ((att_str*att_str_modifier)/def_str) -->
    <siege_att_str_modifier float="0.75"/> <!-- modifies the effective sieging attackers strength when determining the priority of making attack decision -->
    <crusade_att_str_modifier float = "1.0"/><!--modifies the effective crusading sieging attackers strength when determining the priority of making attack decision -->
    <sally_att_str_modifier float="0.85"/> <!-- modifies the effective sallying attackers strength when determining the priority of making attack decision -->
    <ambush_att_str_modifier float = "1.25"/><!--modifies the effective ambushing attackers strength when determining the priority of making attack decision -->
    <str_limit_weak float = "0.75"/> <!-- min ideal strength ratio modifier for determining when an army is far too weak for an attack ( att_def_strength_ratio < (ideal_str_ratio*str_limit_weak) ) -->
    <str_limit_strong float = "999.0"/> <!-- max ideal strength ratio modifier for determining when an army is far too strong for a fair attack ( att_def_strength_ratio > (ideal_str_ratio*str_limit_strong) ) -->
    <merchant_min_survival_acquire int = "75"/><!--the minimum survival chance for a merchant to consider attempting an acquisition -->

for the core buildings, I advise these lines

construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 100 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 100 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1

it bypasses the need for lengthy finance scripting, it means the ai will be constantly upgrading their infrastructure.

on a similar note, the following hidden traits are amazing for boosting the ai and its level of competence.

Level GeneralAI
    Description GeneralAI_desc
    EffectsDescription GeneralAI_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect Fertility 10
    Effect Command 4
    Effect LineOfSight 20
    Effect Loyalty 10
    Effect BattleSurgery 33
    Effect HitPoints 2
    Effect TroopMorale 10
    Effect MovementPoints +125
    Effect Combat_V_Faction_Slave 10
    Effect TaxCollection 50
    Effect Trading 50
    Effect Law 10
    Effect SiegeEngineering 60

it's up to you how much of each is reasonable but all of those lines are perfect for the ai, I advise attack and not defence as it allows
    the ai aggressors an advantage. and we should be rewarding their proactivity.

in the character file, the following is good.

starting_action_points 500 ; default value for all characters and pathfinding calculations
    - This high value (not used for any specific character, but instead written before the characters themselves) effects the pathfinding. You must delete map.rwm for them to take effect. It will take a long time to load but it will be worth it.make the wage of generals nothing and captains high, makes the ai use generals more.
    same with every unit, but I only recommend doing this to generals, maybe also admirals 0
    also, lowering the wage of diplomats has a similar beneficial effect.

in SM Factions, give everybody naval invasions, it helps a tonne.
    put all rebels on as low a spawn as possible, you don't have to but DEFINITELY, reduce the pirates chance of spawning as all they do is discourage
    naval invasions by the ai.

in descr_strat make the faction fortified Knud instead of balanced Smith (or whatever is there) as that seems to be the best label for recruitment and war.
    For the descr_strat file, a few things can be done.
    firstly the necessary bit, put every single ai_label to default (except papal states unless you want them to be aggressive)

In the units file, you can give units up to 7 'fake' hit points, please do so with your own scrutiny to help the auto odds in the way you wish. (i recommend 4hp for cavalry units)

removing night battles is awesome, the ai screws itself too much with it and the human can abuse it super hard.

as far as starting armies and infrastructure goes, I advise you give the bigger starting nations (ie Byzantines) a super centralised production to both
    hinder their expansion and also to make the centralised zone way more important.

for very spread out factions (ie Cumans) I recommend giving them high amounts of recruitment slots or just, in general, a better military infrastructure.

on that note, the final things I advise is removing all free upkeep from the game as the human player can abuse it and the ai doesn't realise it exists.

If you have third age I would like to shamelessly advertise alreadyded's fantastic sub-mod

Permissions

feel free to use it just give me a mention in the credits
    Last edited by beermugcarl; December 03, 2022 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Just wanted to give a shout out

Default Re: My AI Project (courtesy of alreadyded) Alpha

I'll give it a shot.
    Save-game compatible, or no, no big deal if not though.
    EDIT: No more silly AI naval blockades for no reason?
    Count me in for the long run, lol

EDIT: Is this AI compatible with HURB, or will it be?
    Last edited by Silver Legionary; March 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

at this stage it's compatible with everything. third age, w/e. but in the long run i plan on making it for HURB and SSMAP with a more basic one for just plain old stainless.

EDIT: oh and it is save game compatible but for full effect a new one.

it's not letting me edit my post for some reason or another. so here is the new version in this post http://www.mediafire.com/?aaq5b8g0hh6h606

just a quick patch to give the papal a seperate AI. my bad i just remembered everyone else likes a passive pope

New CAI is always interesting. I pretty much only play with Gracul or Soulson but neither are quite perfect so having another choice will be nice.

i'm mainly after feedback. i'm very interested in AI and how it acts. I plan on taking ssmap and hurb and creating a 'helping hand' submod for each incorporating small changes in descr_strat campaign_db settlement_mechanics etc and possibly some sort of scripting similar to carl the taxman to make everything ai friendly at the loss of some historical accuracy (what i mean by that for instance is land bridges and slight territory changes)

Obviously all of the above can't happen until a) I sort out the AI and b) i get permissions (which in turn needs the original developers to be happy with what they have and to be happy with my ideals of 'AI friendly > historical accuracy [should point out you won't lose MUCH historical accuracy as would only be slight changes, i'm sure you get what i mean])

ANYWAY! feedback on expansion and how the AI reacts to wars is what i'm interested in.

BUT I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS ON SOMETHING NOW. which is simply, do you think nations of different religions should actually dislike each other? at the moment the AI is one size fits all so they won't treat each other any different and relations rely on your actions or actions of your allies (if france is allied to germany and germany invades genoa then france would try to invade genoa)(this works in the case of ceasfires and alliances too)
    anyway, my point is that i like a reactant system with initial relations set but i noticed that all the current ai out there goes 'i hate you because you are different religion!' and i don't like this because as i said i like reactants and choice. plus i think that religion was used as an excuse to get the common mass marching but didn't create war unnecessarily.

anyway, what are peoples views on that system? should i buck the trend as i currently am or should i do what everyone else does?

Default Re: My AI Project (courtesy of alreadyded) v0.1 (30/03/2013)

I hate double posting but I added in some ceasefire scripts and tweaked EVERYTHING.
    Completely new diplomacy and faction relations because i hadn't focused on them before. I basically had a full day of editing.

anyway, it's the weekend so have fun guys.

I do not think religions should affect relations constantly. Some factions should certainly dislike others at start and often based on religious problems but in the interim diplomatic penalties should be quite rare and only to 'guide' some historical rivalries. Between wars, border crossings, and Crusade/Jihads there is sufficient mechanics that naturally increase dislike between different religions.

Before the Crusades there wasn't as much idea that religion was the main reason to oppose a foreign power, any invaders were opposed and different culture/language naturally has some inherent biases but ERE made good use of pagans and different religion soldiers when they were able. So did many other opposing religions if the circumstances required it. Normans in Sicily, Rus with steppe peoples, ERE, Almohads, Fatimids, Georgians, etc made compromises with other religions most often because ruling mutli ethnic/religious peoples but sometimes just from political expediency where there was no Pope or influential religious figure or political opponent (usually the same) condemning such behavior.

Factions with historical rivalries would be;

France vs England- it requires a showdown as Normans can't be King in England but vassals to French King at same time.

ERE vs Turks- centuries of migrations by the time campaign starts make these natural enemies with ERE not forgetting the lands it controlled while Turks see a weaker opponent in ERE during any period of political troubles which happened frequently.

Crusaders vs all Muslim factions except Fatimids and Almohads... Fatimids as Shia dynasty have no natural allies amongst Muslims and while peace with Franks/Crusaders was not desirable neither was unceasing war. For Almohads simply due to distance- Jihads or map expansion will eventually bring them into conflict anyway but negative diplomatic modifiers make that a bit slower. Also usually capturing Egypt for Crusaders is easiest path to victory... if Fatimids are the only ally with Abbasids, Zengids, Turks, and even ERE possibly being a threat in the north that makes it much more difficult.

Spain vs Almohads- different religion is not the cause of all the fights as they fought plenty amongst themselves but routinely for ambitious men who needed an appeal to higher power to wage war and also easier to keep their gains from fellows afterwards as 'holy' warriors the temptation was strong.

Mongols vs Khwarezmians/Sultante- Mongols might have invaded anyway but the Khwarezmians actions provoking the invasion require war until 1 is eliminated.

Lithuania vs Poland- biggest action in the Baltic for centuries was converting remaining pagan peoples and trying to crush militarily the only strong center of resistance around Lithuania. Danes and Kiev might possible share the antipathy to a lesser degree due equally to religious reasons and sphere of influence.

Probably Cumans vs Kiev and Novgorod though as often individual clans participated on either side the lifestyles and religions made frequent wars inevitable. Also to make Cuman attacks vs Rus more likely than in east or south towards ERE.

Not sure about any others... Venice vs Pisa, Papal States vs Sicily, Sicily vs ERE, Venice vs ERE, Georgia vs Turks... most of the time those due to map positions will probably clash anyway. Only ones might need encouragement are Papal States vs Sicily and ERE vs Sicily.
    Last edited by Ichon; March 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

well as it currently is. if they are supposed to outlive a faction then they won't ally and relations deteriorate every turn. it's a force script and it appears to be working however their are conflicting scripts (i have a forced random alliances, above neutral relations 10% random chance each turn [personally i really like that system as anything that adds random chance is good])

the way i currently have relations working is a dynamic method, real hate if you are the enemy of an enemy. love if you are a friend of a friend. transgression of course annoying people. and military power being a factor in relations as well.

most AI have natural deterioration just for being opposing religions and i removed that entirely because I like the whole dynamic thing.

Default Re: My AI Project (courtesy of alreadyded) v1.0 (31/03/2013)

Just installed this in vanilla TA with the new DaC map v1.1.1, got a CTD (it was working just before I overwrote those files), any idea or just s sloppy installation by myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    Just installed this in vanilla TA with the new DaC map v1.1.1, got a CTD (it was working just before I overwrote those files), any idea or just s sloppy installation by myself?
    hmm. well. you shouldn't get a CTD (because none of the files mess with anything that would cause a CTD). try to run it without the AI first. its probably an issue with Dac.

though here, use this. its not released yet as i don't have the permission but here is my own edited version of this AI specifically for third age http://www.mediafire.com/?tdg2x0ljq9jkxii
    Last edited by beermugcarl; April 01, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

thanks I will give it a shot, thanks for trying to create a better AI.

DELETED no longer relevant. can a mod clear up this post?

I posted a link here because i couldn't edit the first post (forum issues) but now its working again.
    Last edited by beermugcarl; April 03, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

I'll take a look at this in a bit, been busy lately but have some free time coming up.

Why not relevant anymore?
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I'll take a look at this in a bit, been busy lately but have some free time coming up.
    it's cool. i figured out the faction_Standings thing anyway (or i think i did...) just that that file seems to need to be more specific per sub_mod (even though i didn't think it had to be...) so i just removed it from the pack.

Well, third age crashes when I try and use these three files, its kicks me back to main menu when i try to start a campaign.

When I put the OEM back in, it works.

Ahh, Vanilla Third Age with DaC map works with your AI files but MOS 1.41 dont work..

Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    Ahh, Vanilla Third Age with DaC map works with your AI files but MOS 1.41 dont work..
    hmm that is strange. i will have to ask them why.

is it a straight crash? (what happens when it crashes) was it working without the AI?

It was working without the files, then backed up the original files and installed your modified files and it kicked me back to main menu when I tried to start a campaign. I put the original files back and it worked.

But vanilla with DaC workes fine

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast