Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Default Re: Reporting Bugs or Crashes (v3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kartaen View Post
    1. I have snowy Mordor mountain pikes for some reason...
    2. I cant play properly at weathertop (I can move to hill but there is no building or any ruins of weathertop, just hill and grass...).
    I'm probably a bit late here, but I know the answer to this one.

For some reason, the file that changes "Mordor mountain pikes" (to avoid snow) must be placed in the main rometw folder. It does not work from lotrtw folder, nor when packed (the only damn file that did not work in my modding experience). And so, it is the only file from the mod that is placed outside lotrtw folder, and it is probably deleted by steam checks.

You would need to intall the mod again, and prevent steam from removing this file from rometw data folder.

Quote Originally Posted by badass7 View Post
    When trying to play a siege battle against Barad-Dur as Isengard, I keep getting the attached error message. Is anybody able to help at all?
    I admit I don't understand the error message, but looks like a bug related to 3d models. I'm not sure there is anything you can do.
    I understand it is a year late, but I just check this bug topic from time to time...

In these cases, where the game always crashes when you launch certain battle, the easiest solution is to auto-resolve that battle.

I have the 3.2 version of this mod.

If I use any of the addons, like the troll fix etc, the game crashes at start up. It gives a warning that there might be a conflict with some of the addons. The problem is that my game crashes with trolls, so I would need the troll fix to work.

Quote Originally Posted by lareth View Post

If I use any of the addons, like the troll fix etc, the game crashes at start up. It gives a warning that there might be a conflict with some of the addons. The problem is that my game crashes with trolls, so I would need the troll fix to work.
    Yes! This is unfortunate and I think probably could be better explained. Many of the sub-mods modify the same files and I doubt there is a mod manager that can integrate these all together on its own (I could be wrong though, does anybody know for sure?)

So, for example, two sub-mod which both add or remove units will inevitably fight with each other and probably crash.

Good new though is that the trollfix is included in the 3.2 release so no need to worry there.

Quote Originally Posted by lareth View Post

What addon does the troll fix conflict with? Is it CapnDan's campaign addon? If so, I can make a compatible version, it'd be simple.

CapnDan, I read somewhere that you fixed some troll crash by editing their texture file. Is that right? Could you tell me more about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    What addon does the troll fix conflict with? Is it CapnDan's campaign addon? If so, I can make a compatible version, it'd be simple.

CapnDan, I read somewhere that you fixed some troll crash by editing their texture file. Is that right? Could you tell me more about that.
    The Campaigns Addon includes and builds on all the most recent bugfixes, troll fix included.

One additional update to the troll fix in the Campaigns Addon was to adjust the distances at which sprites are used so that most players won't even notice that they're being used.

The other trollfix item was re-generating the texture mip maps for all the troll-type units (all trolls, sauron, elephant gandalf, and a few others). I came by this accidentally while working on something else but it looked like many of the texture files for these units either had mip map errors or simply did not have them generated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    The Campaigns Addon includes and builds on all the most recent bugfixes, troll fix included.

One additional update to the troll fix in the Campaigns Addon was to adjust the distances at which sprites are used so that most players won't even notice that they're being used.

The other trollfix item was re-generating the texture mip maps for all the troll-type units (all trolls, sauron, elephant gandalf, and a few others). I came by this accidentally while working on something else but it looked like many of the texture files for these units either had mip map errors or simply did not have them generated at all.
    A bit late to this conversation but the only way to properly fix troll style units for it to work on any windows version or cd/steam is to use the elephant skeleton as a base and move the bones (while keeping the hierarchy) into a postion such that it has a humonoid appearance. Then you'd need to make new animations. The reason the trolls crash is because there are hardcoded parts for each unit type in the rtw engine and the moment a certain action triggers something that enforces these bones to exist in the model the game crashes. Bones like the 'elephant_back' or 'saddle' are not present in the human skeleton used for these trolls (human skeleton uses pelvis, abs and torso instead). I used to have similar problems until I opted to use the elephant skeleton as a base, now I have flying humanoids in my mod.
    There's a good reason why fellbeast do not crash and trolls, sauron etc does. If you wish I can send you my own setup which is suitable for trolls, ents and sauron.
    Here are some useful tools: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrh9wd11v...tools.zip?dl=0
    The 3ds bone skeleton script automatically exports a list of numbers and bone positions and the python script converts skeleton files to text so you can paste this info in it and the use this python script again to convert it back to a skeleton file.

Quote Originally Posted by KurdishNomad View Post
    A bit late to this conversation but the only way to properly fix troll style units for it to work on any windows version or cd/steam is to use the elephant skeleton as a base and move the bones (while keeping the hierarchy) into a postion such that it has a humonoid appearance. Then you'd need to make new animations. The reason the trolls crash is because there are hardcoded parts for each unit type in the rtw engine and the moment a certain action triggers something that enforces these bones to exist in the model the game crashes. Bones like the 'elephant_back' or 'saddle' are not present in the human skeleton used for these trolls (human skeleton uses pelvis, abs and torso instead). I used to have similar problems until I opted to use the elephant skeleton as a base, now I have flying humanoids in my mod.
    There's a good reason why fellbeast do not crash and trolls, sauron etc does. If you wish I can send you my own setup which is suitable for trolls, ents and sauron.
    Here are some useful tools: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrh9wd11v...tools.zip?dl=0
    The 3ds bone skeleton script automatically exports a list of numbers and bone positions and the python script converts skeleton files to text so you can paste this info in it and the use this python script again to convert it back to a skeleton file.
    Well no kidding, you're right, that is a thing which causes hard ctd no doubt!
    Have you made a version with totally re-done skeletons and animations for the funky big units!? I wouls surely take a look!

I will send you a message

Thanks for the input KurdishNomad, it sounds like the possible cause of our troubles with the trolls.
    Although I never modded the skeletons or animations, and I would be unable to fix it myself.

Capndan, if you try to fix it, I just want to point that the only models that cause crashes in lotrtw are:

type troll
    skeleton fs_trolla

type troll2
    skeleton fs_trollb

type troll3
    skeleton fs_trolla

type troll4
    skeleton fs_trolla

type sauron
    skeleton fs_sauron

type ent_a
    skeleton fs_ent
    No other unit has ever caused those kind of CTD in our tests.
    Saruman, and Gandalf the Grey, are elephant units, but they use standard human models and animations that never caused troubles.

I also want to confirm that the "troll fix", included as optional submod in the latest release, does avoid those CTDs, at least is 100% effective in my pc.
    It is a workaround to avoid the crashes caused by these Troll units on some computers. It reduces to zero the distance at which these units are rendered in 3d, so they are always shown 2d sprites (with much lower quality), but this way they never cause crashes.
    In order to work, the unit detail, in video settings, must be any value lower than "highest".
    I'm still curious to know why this troll crash affects some pcs and not others. In my old laptop, when a troll enters the camera view, it is almost sure a crash (unless I use the "troll fix"), while it is rare to see those crashes in my desktop pc, and I know people who never suffered such crashes.
    Last edited by Bardo; March 14, 2021 at 04:04 AM.

The thig is, is that the troll has a set of actions mentioned within its skeleton, whenever an action calls for a bone to exist that doesn't within the model RTW decides to crash. Possibly renaming the bones may work but to effectively fix this issue on all PCs without the need for sprites is to simply make a new skeleton based on the elephant one. I have already made one, it's just a matter of finishing the remaining animations. If there's any other unit you need something special for let me know.
    Last edited by KurdishNomad; March 15, 2021 at 04:13 AM.

[CITA=Bardo;12688269] Informes de errores para v3.0

Este tema está destinado a informar de errores o bloqueos al escritorio. Por favor, no publicar aquÃ* si usted ha modificado los archivos por sÃ* mismo.
    Voy a tratar de mantener una lista de errores confirmados, por favor léalo antes de publicar uno nuevo.

Gracias.

Buenas, tengo un problema al iniciar una batalla con sauron o saruman, el juego se bloquea y no da mas. tengo instalados los archivos trollfix

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lista actual de causas conocidas de Crash To Desktop (CTD) y solución sugerida: 1) CTD al inicio de una nueva campaña, justo cuando aparece el mapa de la campaña.

Si las campañas estaban funcionando y más tarde comienzan a bloquearse, la causa es un archivo de "consejos" dañado. Se corrige eliminando estos
    dos archivos:
    ...\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\Alexander\map.rwm ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\advice

(no te preocupes, el juego generará uno

nuevo) 2) Trolls (y unidades similares como Ents o Sauron)pueden causar un accidente en la batalla en algunos ordenadores (en otros ordenadores sólo hay un fallo visual).
    Las posibilidades de accidente son más altas en las batallas nocturnas, asÃ* que trate de evitarlos cuando hay trolls / ents en algunos de los ejércitos.
    Hay posibilidades de accidente sólo cuando algunas de estas unidades aparecen en el campo de visión de la cámara. Una solución alternativa es minimizar el tiempo que los trolls/ents aparecen en la pantalla.
    3) Los CTDs durante las batallas solÃ*an estar relacionados con los ajustes de
    sonido.
    Establezca los sonidos en las opciones de Miles 2D Audio,y el problema debe solucionarse.
    4) Los CTD justo después de una batalla (mientras se carga el mapa de la campaña de nuevo) deben ser causados por una configuración de resolución de video
    incorrecta.
    Si elimina el archivo de preferencias, el juego creará uno
    nuevo basado en las especificaciones de su computadora: ...\alexander\lotrtw\preferences\preferences.txt[/QUOTE]

loseless's Avatar Civis

I've been experiencing a great deal of crashes at the start of battles. As soon as I click Start the Battle, the game CTD's without any error message. I have the graphics at their lowest setting. The only pattern I can find is that this seems to happen when I station the troops at the top of mountains or hills. Quite strange, really.

Well, after playing a few more days and testing some things, it seems that the moment the enemy troops spawn, the game crashes. Turning the camera away from the enemy troops' position helps, but not always. This is quite an issue, as I've experienced hundreds of crashes. About one every three battles, and some battles crash multiple times until I learn how to position the camera or just give up and auto-resolve.

This makes the mod borderline unplayable, so I would appreciate any help.
    Last edited by loseless; August 01, 2021 at 04:26 PM.

Love this mod more than Third Age Reforged. However, I am crashing alot when I am making contact with Noldor and Mordor with Gondor. Are there any fixes to this? I have the Latest full game version and the addon from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul_Rat View Post
    Love this mod more than Third Age Reforged. However, I am crashing alot when I am making contact with Noldor and Mordor with Gondor. Are there any fixes to this? I have the Latest full game version and the addon from last year.
    Most of the causes of crashes I've heard of have been due to people using more than one sub-mod. Generally speaking they do not play well together as they tend to modify the same stuff but in different (incompatible) ways.

Any chance you have more than one sub-mod active (Improved Vegetation + Addon for example)?

Otherwise do you have -show_err active (in target line of a launch shortcut, after the mod path)? The error popups would otherwise help to ID a potential problem. But, my first guess would really be incompatible sub-mods.