Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [RELEASED] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: [WIP] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

well i wait for ur release.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

I have been planning on creating a unit pack for Fots myself. But I will have to wait until I get my new pc, which could easily be a month.
    Until then I have read through the tutorials and I had done some research on units.
    I focused mainly on western troops stationed in the pacific erea from the 1850s to 1880s.
    My idea was to add an extra 2-3 units to every foreign faction, which would make the decision of which foreign supporter one choses have more impact.

I have some historic info and uniform pics, and since I am only a beginner and still have a month to wait before actualy getting to start at doing anythin, I will share my research here.

Great Britain:

The 99th Lanarkshire regiment:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is a highland regiment of foot which was raised in Edinburgh and spent most of it`s time in the pacific. It was deployed to Australia, Tasmania and later to New Zealand where it was ingaged in some vicious fighting with the Maori in the New Zealand wars ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_land_wars ). Later they where sent back to Australia and then to Ireland, where they gained a reputation for being an extraordenary well trained and drilled regiment. In 1859 in they were deployed to Cina and fought in the Opium wars, in 1860 to Calcutta where they joined a expedition into northern China and in 1965 they were deployed to South Africa.

Now the unit was never deployed to Japan and during the Boshin war they were actualy deployed in South Africa and they would stay on the African continent fighting in the Zulu war. But Since they were mostly stationed in the Pacific and Fots doesnt exactly bolster with historic accuracy I though they would be a good enought addition as a "elite unit" with a recrutement level of 1.

Here`s the uniform they had during the expedition into northern China in 1860:

The headgear I tought would be very simple to create by removing the "imperial flower" from the vanilla french foreign legion kepi. Additionaly to that, placing a "99" on the backpack, using the line infantry uniform and giving them white colored pants, would create the unit.

Here is an image of the units officer uniform:

Now the image is from 1889 but I think it could still be accuratly used for the 1860s unit. The detailes on the the jacket would be a pain in the ass to paint, aswell as the "red white" pattern and the golden "99". But I think it could be done with alot of patience, using the "Tosa rifles kepi".

Naval Brigade:

Now the naval brigade actualy saw action in Japan during the battle of Shimonoseki ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shimonoseki )
    A naval brigade is a body od sailors which is used for ground combat (a kind of naval landing force).

Concerning the uniforms I found a pic of the battle of Shimonoseki:

The naval brigade is to be seen on the right side (on the left side one sees royal marines which interestingly wear the white french foreign legion kepi, so I also thought of changing the royal marines uniform for historic accuracy).
    You aswell as several other modders have managed to create the "sailor" uniform (your Landing Force unit):

and I would have attempted to take it and color it in a darker blue (with the exception of the pants which were white) in accordance to naval brigade pictures I found from the Zulu wars:

Naval Brigade Gatling gun:

Adding to that, I would have added a naval brigade gatling gun as an additional artillery unit, after seeing this pic:

Sailor Garrison:

I also wanted to create a garrison unit of British sailors for the castle which had the British trading port.
    The sailors would have been modeled from the picture I posted above with the gatling gun.

France:

French Foreign Legion:

Concerning the famous french foreign legion I found no picture of them from the 1860s because their deployments were to Algeria, Mexico and Vrance back then.
    From the 1880s there are some pictures showing them in an "Asian" uniform due to their deployment in in the Sino-French war.
    Yet I would have gone with this picture:

Looking at the headgear, I would have tried an experiment by trying to combine 2 different kepis. The vanilla "royal marine" kepi and the one you had used for your Kobusho rifle men:

puting both of those headpieces together and coloring the japanese one white, whilest leaving the royal marines kepi red, I thought might create the kind of kepi depicted in several images of the french foreign legion.

For the legions officer`s uniform I would have tried using the vanilla french foreign agents 2nd level uniform, due to it`s sholderpads, in combination with the double hat (royal marine kepi - japanese headgear) :

I also wanted to create the legion as a elit unit with a limit of 1.

Troupes de Marine:

I couldnt find any french naval uniforms pre the 1880s french wars in the far east. So I took some of those and thought over how they could still be used.
    Thereby I focused mainly on the Troupes de Marine:

The units wears the "Pith Helmet" which doesnt exist as model in the vanilla game and new models can currently not be added.
    So the main question for me would have been which headgear to use.
    I would have chosen to create the troupes de marine, by giving them the vanilla french foreign legion kepi and replacing the "imperial flower" with the helmet badge of the troupes de marine:

Also, I was thinking of changing the color of the kepi to eighter black or a dark brown as depicted in the second image.

Artillerie de Marine:

I also wanted to add an additional artillery unit for France. The image depicting a soldier from the Artillerie de Marine is also from the 1880s and includes the "Pith Helmet".

I would have replaced that helmet eighter with the vanilla "infantrie de marine" kepi, which I would have colored eighter red, black or white.
    I wasnt completly sure which piece of artillery to give them, but I would have probably gone for the gatling gun, since the game has no Mitrailleuse ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitrailleuse )

Fusiliers de Marine:

I would have chosen that unit for creating a Garrison unit for the French trading port. Considering that chosing French military support gives you access to better infantry, I thought that simple sailors wouldnt be good enought. But again I only found images from the 1880s with the damned Pith Helmet:

I thought the uniforms of the recruts and the officer wouldnt be that hard to create, except for the blue and white striped undershirt which looked like the Russian "Telnyashka" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnyashka ). I couldnt think of a single vanilla uniform model which made it possible to see the undershirt.
    Other than that I would have replaced the Pith Hemlet with the "US Marines" kepi, eighter colored blue or red (because a completly white unit might give me eyecancer).

The United States:

Concerning the US, I have and had no Idea what to use. I only found civil war sailor uniforms which I would have probably taken to create a naval artillery and sailor garrison unit on that basis. Other than that, I would have probably created the US cavalry as special elite unit (which you already have), but had and have no Idea what to use for the remaining unit.
    Generaly, the US didnt have any colonies in the pacific back then and was occupied with it`s own civil war and native americans. Other smaller nations had more missions in Japan (including Italy) than the US, so in the end I am simply hoping that CA will release a DLC adding the Netherlands, Prussia and Imperial Russia as factions for military assistance.

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Heh...Just wait till He finish Them Mod...Then You can send Your own Modmodded Tables to him...

Okay guys, the mod is unfinished and has problems, but it is pretty presentable, so I'm trying to upload a beta version tonight. Lots has changed recently...I'll update the main post eventually, but in the meantime if you're interested you can check it out for yourself once it's up. Would have had it up earlier but I had some computer problems this weekend.

@The Germans Are Coming,

There are certainly some good unit ideas in there. Foreign units are especially tricky, partially because the uniforms require some extra texture work (which I'm not very good at) to make accurate. Also, CA made the foreign heads bigger than the Japanese heads, which makes them clip through many of the helmets (which are very limited to begin with). I do think you could do justice to those uniforms though.

I'm not really planning on putting any more foreign units (or really, any more units at all) into my mod here, at least for now, but I would be happy to help you out if possible.

You may also want to check out General Cornwallis's "foreign invasion" unit pack for more ideas and technical guidance (I think he has even allowed people to use his units in their packs, if you're into that kind of thing...I would feel funny personally). To my knowledge it hasn't been converted for balance in darthmod yet.

*EDIT* For the life of me I cant get this file uploaded to the site. 10 MB is too much!?

*EDIT AGAIN* One more glaring issue I want to fix a bit, then you'll have it dudes*
    Last edited by evilspleen1213; April 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM.

I am really looking forward to trying this out! can;t wait.

If you are having trouble uploading, just upload it to mediafire, cant go wrong with mf.

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

If you want upload Files bigger than 10 MB, Go to Downloads, than add File in the right Category: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...p?do=cat&id=44

Any updates?.

Okey dokey I'm back again.

If it was up to me, it would be like 20 more years until I released anything lol, but what the hell. I'm attempting to upload the version I currently have for you guys, in all its messy glory, as we speak. The download section is telling me 10.2 MB is "too big to process", so I'm using my filefront account, and if that fails I'll try mediafire.

But yeah, feel free to play around with this, its not perfect. You can try campaign but I don't know how it will play out at all....the testing I have done was mostly just messing around in custom battle. Making a mod is much harder than I anticipated...newfound respect for Darth, Radious, and all you other guys who make stuff! I'm not sure how much further I can take this, but with some input from you guys maybe I can polish it up and whatnot! And definitely at least let me know if there any technical problems.

*edit* Okay, upload is done, should be working so you can download it if you'd like. Just don't throw anything at me if its bad!
    Last edited by evilspleen1213; April 27, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: [BETA] NEW UNITS for FOTS (DMS) by evilspleen1213

Aw, you're welcome.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Aw, you're welcome.

Alright so I've gone through and given units I think should have bayonets bayonets. Most units have swords but reservists, recruits, and other modern standard line soldiers have bayonets. Light units and more irregular and traditional soldiers still have swords. I do think that the Revolutionaries should use western clothes instead of standard Japanese clothes to represent the significant western influence of Republics.

Sorry my ingles, link might not work please reloading¿

Can you upload mod somewhere than gamefront ?

Quote Originally Posted by preussen6 View Post
    Yes

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by preussen6 View Post
    No upload mod the gamefront

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

Does this work?

http://www.mediafire.com/?2hkc2bsn3j851tb

@cathedralsquares
    Cool dude, I was thinking about not giving bayonets to fortress units like reservists and domain guards, but yeah you get the idea. Interesting idea with the Revolutionary thing...my original thought was just like youthful, radical activists or something. I must admit I don't feel like doing the icons again lmao. Idk when I get some free time maybe I'll do some kind of tweakin'
    Last edited by evilspleen1213; April 29, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilspleen1213 View Post
    Gracias...:-)

This mod is for shogun 2 o shogun fall of samuray? No see the unist en shogun 2

Google translator.Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by divoletta View Post
    This mod is for shogun 2 o shogun fall of samuray? No see the unist en shogun 2

Google translator.Sorry
    First don't use google translator, second it's for fall of the samurai.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast