Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: FAQ

This may need a few posts to fix: please open your own thread in the error report forum. Read the sticky there on how to submit a report.

Copy your posts into the opening post and please mention there what you did between the game at least starting and now.

Cilician Pirate's Avatar Libertus

Hey guys, sorry to bother again, but you never got around to answering my question from before.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The disabling of the 'better water' sub mods can be reversed by restoring the correct folder name (data/globallighting) and restoring the 3 descr_water... files from their back ups.
    ....... So what does that mean exactly?? I have been holding off on installing Patch #3 because I am not sure what to do about what Gigantus said in this quote...

Blog Entries

Patch 3 provides back ups of the 3 original descr_water... files in the data folder (new ones are being installed) in case you wish to carry on using that feature. And it renames the global_lighting folder - that way the game will use the original (vanilla) files.

So don't fear and go head installing patch 3.

Patch 3 provides back ups of the 3 original descr_water... files in the data folder (new ones are being installed) in case you wish to carry on using that feature. And it renames the global_lighting folder - that way the game will use the original (vanilla) files.

So don't fear and go head installing patch 3.
    Okay, so after I install the Patch, I DO NOT have to make any manual changes to the data files??? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not very good with computers, lol

Blog Entries

You DO NOT have to make any manual changes to the data files! Only if you want to continue using those two sub mods (which are very likely the unfortunate reason for the loading screen crashes).

You DO NOT have to make any manual changes to the data files! Only if you want to continue using those two sub mods (which are very likely the unfortunate reason for the loading screen crashes).
    Okay, I understand. Thanks a lot for the help!! .... Now I can finally start my Swedish campaign!

hi there!
    Can i ask you the name of the song in the background of the video when swiss get attacked and pop out from the mountains ^^?

Renatuz's Avatar Foederatus

Dear Monguntiacum,

my compliments for this beautifull mod! The atmosphere and all the correct details make this mod fill in the gap between Kingdoms and Empire. Sofar I could not quite understand why this period in which war was so Total was not covered by Total War. But now it is covered in a grand fashion!

One question; I just started a campaign for the dutch (utrecht) it seems as if the AI is not interested in attacking me. After conquering most of Flanders cities (all by sieges) it surprised me that no ferocious counterattack by the spanish or austrians followed? Will this change if I restart the campaign at the 'difficult' level?

Thx & rgds,

Renatuz.

Blog Entries

We may have to tweak the descr_faction_standings file, in fact right now the mod uses the 'vanilla' one - we had problems getting all desired triggers into it without crashing the game.

@
    Duc De Gruyère
    that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9sVcRxopJU

@Renatuz
    Sure, we recommend "very hard / very hard" for both options. At battles because AI is something overwhelmed with pike&shot. At campaign because the very big map we did.

some relations: the map of vanilla onto 1648 map:

Characters on map at beginnging:

Vanilla - 285
    1648 - 1.891

map size in pixel (descr_terrain)
    Vanilla - 55.755
    1648 - 260.100

So please help the AI
    Last edited by Monguntiacum; June 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatuz View Post
    After conquering most of Flanders cities (all by sieges) it surprised me that no ferocious counterattack by the spanish or austrians followed?
    As Monti said, and especially if you prefer a more aggressive campaign, play at the very hard level. Later in the campaign as your faction begins to dominate there are going to be problems with the CAI which are part of the way total war games were designed, as Gigantus hinted. Normally as the human player becomes stronger, the AI starts becoming more cautious and adopts a defensive stance, especially for the weaker factions.

Maybe the AI started already the ferocious counterattack, but that armies are somewhere on the map, and will reach you in 4-6 turns

Renatuz's Avatar Foederatus

OK, thank you both for your advice.
    I have now restarted the campaign, both at level 'hard' and I am getting some more resistance now from the spanish. I read both articles in Wikipedia on the 30-yrs and the 80-yrs war. And yesterday I experienced the historical accuracy of the campaign as in the first field battle the AI refused to pay ransom with the correct remark that Spain could not afford it! This probably also explains some of their inactivity as they simply doe not have the funds to mount a counteroffensive.
    The thing is that I just really wanted to see how a life batle in the field looks like.
    Tonight first a custom battle and then a campaign restart in 'very hard'.

Thanks again !
    Rgds,
    Renatuz

Playing some custom battles can help decide on the level of difficulty that you like. However, battles in campaigns can be different, for example because the AI rarely has very well balanced armies. It does take occasionally better tactical decisions, such as if outnumbered to place its units on a hill, but these rarely outweigh the disadvantages.

Ich hab auch mal eine Frage und stelle sie auf deutsch, da der Mod hier ja auf eine deutsche Community aufbaut.

Wenn ich das Spiel starte, dann ist das Hauptmenü in Englisch. Auch wenn ich dann eine Kampagne starte sind die Optionen wie Schwierigkeit usw. auf Engisch. Auf der Karte selber und auch die Sounds sind deutsch, aber gut fände ich, wenn alles auf Deutsch wäre so wie bei 1648 v1. . Kann man das umschreiben oder eine alte Datei von v1 nehmen ?

hyretic's Avatar Decanus

Wenn du die Mod startest, kommt ein Bildschirm, wo du die Auswahl zwischen Englisch und Deutsch hast. Wenn du da deutsch wählst, hast du die Textdateien von V1. Allerdings werden dann viele Texte, Gebäude und Einheiten etc., fehlen, da V2 komplett in Englisch ist. Daher empfehlen wir die Mod in Englisch zu spielen.
    Falls sich jemand findet, der sie in Deutsch übersetzen will, gerne.

Is there a way to start the game without the launcher? I have activation problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatuz View Post
    And yesterday I experienced the historical accuracy of the campaign as in the first field battle the AI refused to pay ransom with the correct remark that Spain could not afford it! This probably also explains some of their inactivity as they simply doe not have the funds to mount a counteroffensive.
    The above is the biggest problem with this mod, and I don't think it's intentional. Unfortunately, many of the CAI factions go broke within the first couple of turns and never recover. And a bankrupt CAI nation is a passive CAI nation. I've started a number of campaigns with this mod on VH and all of them have quickly degenerated to me taking one barely garrisoned and undeveloped city after the other with little or no AI resistance.

What's the problem? Is it the CAI's inability to handle the very large map? Is the CAI confused by its starting with large and often far-flung possessions? Do too many CAI nations start with armies that they can't afford? Does the CAI going on a merc recruiting spree with its initial funds and instantly going into the red undermine it for the rest of the game? Or is it just the plain fact that M2TW's CAI quite frankly sucks? Unfortunately, I think it's a combination of all the above.

This a beautiful and colorful mod that obviously took an immense amount of work, but the CAI is barely functioning with it. It's a shame.
    Last edited by MKeogh; June 22, 2013 at 08:51 AM.

How do we know when to change the option in the launcher about who is Emperor? Does it tell you in a message to do it? Or am I missing something else.

Reichsmutation? - The factions you can read in the reichsmutation window are protestant factions. these factions have the possibility to gain an event to transform into a new faction: German Empire. Its the idea, what if the protestants win majority in electors and the power in the empire? They would elect a new protestant emperor. So if you play one of these factions and get the final event, your faction transform like eriador to arnor in third age. But the calmar script used for these transforming isnt enough, the old colour remains and things like that. so if you get the event and your faction is now the german empire, you save your game and leave it. than launch the window of reichsmutation and choose your faction, if you load now your savegame, the colour is now correct for empire. but do not activate the reichsmutation before getting the event, your faction would be partly transformed what would be not very nice.