Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: FAQ

Default Re: FAQ

I have recently started to play your mod a bit. I really appreciate the amount of work you put in the mod to display the period as good as possible to the interested audience.

I do not know if this question has been asked before, but what is the reason for these huge amounts of "forts" with city names on the map ?
    The only reason seems to be the free upkeep but on the other hand they add a lot of confusion when trying to find the "real" cities on the map (at least for me)
    The only historical background I can think of is to display the contributions a region has to pay to keep the army stationed there.
    But in this case I do not undestand why the "real" fully functional cities do not provide free upkeep then.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The forts represent minor cities - if you look closer you will see that the regular cities have a number of symbols under their name whereas the forts have just the name. The models are different as well.

I have actually noticed the difference of course. But they are rather minor (primarily the bastion) and at least I tend to find it hard to get quick overview of my country since my camera isn't usually zoomed in as it is on your screenshot.
    And if you have a garrison in a fort (which I usually have because of the free upkeep) it looks alike from the distance and even when zoomed in, since the flags have almost the same size as the ones of the great citites.
    To sum it up it: it would be a lot more handy to have resized coat of arms/ flag shown above the minor city if this is possible and you actually consider this.

Blog Entries

Well, the models are substantially different - if it's big and pointy it's a regular settlement. Plenty of visual clues. The army banners are exactly the same size, they are just placed lower in the forts.

If I refuse EDICTUM TOLERATIONIS, what's happened?

Blog Entries

Neither accepting nor declining has any far reaching consequences, beyond money deduction on accepting - it is more of an immersion event.

Beautiful mod that I just downloaded.

From which movie are the videos taken from?

Thanks!
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Blog Entries

Monti collected them from a variety of movies and documentaries, mostly German originals. There is a download for sub titled movies on the download page if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Monti collected them from a variety of movies and documentaries, mostly German originals. There is a download for sub titled movies on the download page if you are interested.
    Thanks for replying.

Yes I saw the subtitled videos option.
    But I was wondering if you guys can list the movie sources as they seem cool, and I would like to watch them.

Cheers.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Blog Entries

Just remembered - the credits (see data\text\credits.txt as well or in game) have a list of contributors, that might help. Or try sending him a PM.

I've never played any other mods than the one I'm working on, but this period of history interests me (even if it's a little grim).

How well do pikes and muskets work in the mod?

What is the cavalry balance like (on the scale of overpowered like vanilla to less than that)?

How effective/useful is artillery (is it worth lugging around the campaign map, or only useful for sieges)? What are sieges like?

How different is the combat to vanilla (which admittedly I've never played)? Is the evolution of the tercio from Spanish to Swedish style reflected in the units/combat balance?

How much regionalisation is there of recruitment, or is it done entirely through the use of factional rosters (ie if I take a faction to another region entirely, will there be "local" units to recruit, or only my faction's core roster?)?

In what ways has the vanilla game been modified to fit the historical setting, beyond obvious stuff with choice of factions and units?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; May 02, 2019 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Geoffrey worked extensively on the battle side of things, introducing historical battle formations and behaviour (as far as possible) to make the pike & shot warfare work. See his manual.

Cavalry is mostly the missile type, regular ones have been tweaked to avoid 'tank' like advantages. We also made the bodyguard unit a cav missile unit with long range, lots of ammo and low missile damage to avoid the AI suiciding the good man.

We 'exiled' the heirs of the AI to make really sure that a faction doesn't get killed because of that tendency.

We do have 'global' as well as 'local' units.

Do have a look at Geoffrey's Let's Play (and AAR) to get some impressions of the game.

Senator

Is there reason why the Regiment "Mansberg" has such a ridiculous meele attack?20 is far higher than any other pike unit and they kill everything in seconds.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Blog Entries

That must have been a typo

Edit: the stat_pri value is by far lower then the halberd militia (Badische Hellebarden) so I have to assume it's the spear_bonus_12 value that does the damage.

Hellebarden:
    Code:
    stat_pri         19, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr    ap, long_pike, spear_bonus_4
    Mansberg (Ulmer Lanzen in EDU):
    Code:
    stat_pri         4, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr    spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_12
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 03, 2019 at 09:44 PM.

I get a crash when playing as Prussia

I just installed the mod and runs without issues EXCEPT for the fact that it appears minimized. How do I get it on fullscreen?

Blog Entries

Set the game to your desktop resolution, 1648 runs in windowed mode: options\video settings\advanced settings - then set the battle and campaign resolutions.

Not sure if its the right place to ask/where to actually ask - love this mod, the era, the historicity, the units, the depth of the campaign, the battle ai is very decent for not being configured for gunpowder - the *only* thing that is griping to me is the campaign map textures. ie. it just hurts to look at - if possible could anyone point me in the right direction for how to mod/edit campaign map textures - i don't want to change the *structure* of the map, just the base textures. Like for example i like a campaign map from say SSHIP or Tsardoms or similar mod, I would like to translate those map textures to this mod? is that at all possible, and if so, jut at least the colour of the water!

OKay Ignore this, I manage to figure it out myself, just subbed in different textures in the sea folder.

Another question for the legend himself @Gigantus, if you are still around! Any chance you could do a report of this like you have with other mods to make them steam + mac OS compatible? 1648 works well in campaign, but crashes whenever you load a battle (error=361). Unfortunately you know macs dont keep logs for m2TW, so i was wondering if you had any ideas? Like i said, it is just battle maps, campaign works fine - have played up to turn 50 with no crashes from campaign scripts or turns, only on loading battles (from campaign, custom or instant). I think it may just be a small fix - i.e. a file/folder named with capitals somehwere! I just want to play with the awesome lookiing 30 years war units!

Senator

A bit late....but I wanted to play the mod again and checked the EDU and I have two export_descr_unit files of them titled "export_descr_unit - v203" which is unused and one normal one:

The normal one used ingame has the Ulmer Lanzen with 20 primary attack:

stat_pri 20, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_12
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
    The unused v203 one has proper stats:

stat_pri 4, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0

----------------

A bunch of other units have different stats as well although it is not as extreme.

Tercio-Pikeniere

Normal:

stat_pri 12, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    v203:

stat_pri 11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_8
    Both are far better than normal pikes but I assume that is intended.

---

Also I can't seem to get the 1648 launcher to work and I can't start the 1648 mutation file either.

Edit: I am using patch 6a
    Last edited by Sint; February 21, 2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...