Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Space RB's Act III World-Building Thread

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: Space RB's Act III World-Building Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    That thing is a paper tiger.
    That's only because nobody ever uses it. It helps that the Old Guard rarely ever has disagreements of any importance, too . I think we posted it up during BaB when we had an influx of new guys who weren't used to IH moderating styles, resulting in a lot of complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    That's only because nobody ever uses it. It helps that the Old Guard rarely ever has disagreements of any importance, too . I think we posted it up during BaB when we had an influx of new guys who weren't used to IH moderating styles, resulting in a lot of complaints.
    I did not mean offense when I said that.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Oh none taken! You and Dan resolved your dispute excellently anyways. I just don't want people to think that the Tribunal thread is a mothballed, useless relic, as Gunny and I envisioned it to be a place to keep disputes from blowing up in game threads. In fact, I'm kind of proud that it's so desolate in there, because it means the community has gotten a lot more understanding and reasonable when it comes to game issues (with a few distinct exceptions *cough* Rodina *cough*)

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yes. Rodina.

I still blame Barry for that one.

Oh, that Rodina. Not the one I was thinking of. With the fighting in the Duma.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I still blame Barry for that one.
    Do you generally think about these kinds of things before you say them Aggy, or do they just kind of hurl themselves at the keyboard?
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Let's all just forget that game. I personally don't feel like listening to the flame it caused again.

Some further analysis of the Diomedes Act III states, namely degrees of the third one :
    Amestrian caused : Millions of zombies inhabit the planet, any recolonization attempts face 5,000x2d20 zombies. Or toxic clouds of gas cover most of the planet, leaving far and few human remnant societies hunted by the zombies.
    Amarthan/Republic caused : Nuked. Recolonization attempts highly risky due to mass radiation.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

I think number 2, because zombies could probably be wiped out by airforce.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Well, as I said there's another Amestrian option using the non-zombie causing superweapon of a highly toxic gas. But the second can be countered by anti-radiative suits or technology of sorts. As for the zombies, some could, but could an airforce get them all, and what if they are like the Zerg and evolve on their own to have a air strain? Hm...that gives me an idea..

Content Emeritus

It's fair to say that the former parts of the Republic have been glassed and certainly aren't fit for settlement. Perry will have to decide for the Amarthans, I guess.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Yes. Rodina. I still blame Barry for that one.
    Real funny, Aggy

@Ongoing discussion If you're aiming to render Diomedes uninhabited, maybe a combination of some or all of the above? UR wipes itself out as already outlined. Amathrans lose their last war to the UR pretty badly, with heavy casualties inflicted over the course of the conflict (conventionally or otherwise) and a pretty huge hit to their sociopolitical psyche-->Emperor who presided over the disaster is offed by dissatisfied subordinates-->civil war ensues between various warlords until they wipe each other out (unless ofc Perry still wants to play the Amathrans and not the Krill). Maybe this happens in ~8,500, just a thousand years after the events of Act II, to give y'all more time to develop your societies & weapons to the point that this is not only possible but probable?

Meanwhile, conflict between Amestris/Fortuna and FPDU culminate in Fortunan nuclear strikes to be followed by Amestrian zombie waves, but the FPDU intends to take their enemies down with them and before leaving the Diomedan atmosphere they launch their own WMDs in a desperation strike that mauls Fortuna, renders most of the surviving Amestrian zombie hordes (barring advanced varieties that are more likely to be kept at home as a reserve or whatever) uncontrollable and wrecks the planetary atmosphere to an extent that surface life will be unsustainable within ~10-20 years; the out-of-control zombies might adapt, but the actual living humans sure won't. This forces the Fortunan & Amestrian governments to abandon Diomedes as well. This is probably most effective if combined with or set just after/before the above situation with the UR/Amathans, so that Diomedes is rendered totally uninhabitable without any power capable of saving it in time.

If they haven't left by this point, the Jasperids & Silent would have to after this lol.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I think what happened in Rodina was the fact I was looking forward to this grand Robin Hood-esque plan Aggy, Kip, and I were building, I was undergoing a bout of teenage angst over something (plus the fact that in the game I became an outcast), and really the death of one of the deepest characters I ever created just iced the cake. Especially since it was over a couple typos and a completely ridiculous priest, too...

There was some romantic aspect of being a gang of outlaws acting as the only core of justice and good in a world of all blackness.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

That's a shame, but you should have clarified it then instead of exploding. I still maintain that I'd been more than fair at that point, for one thing Agg should've died like three times before we even got to the point where your allies were shooting at you (lying to the noble leader's face twice even after he had warned Fred about that exact thing in front of him, flat out admitting to the whole mess with the Patriarch) and he would've if I wasn't being lenient but from what I saw, that apparent attack on your fellow Tsarists was the last straw.

In any case, we've gone over this already, it's history and should remain such. I see no point in reopening old wounds that threw us into one of our darker ages, especially now that it's been almost a year since that mess.

Also - the RCW really wasn't as black as you might've thought. Very dark gray yes, but despite their flaws and atrocities each faction had some good deeds to their name and good reasons to fight, and yes even A-vich himself had very good reason to be the homicidal maniac he was, though obviously this still doesn't change the fact that he was a lunatic who had to be stopped one way or another. (not a word Dan/Fred ) You would've found out what drove them if R93 had gone ahead, but alas.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I have decided I will be keeping the Amathran. Just a heads up for the overall history building to keep in mind.

8,500 AD : The Desturction of Diomedes
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ongoing Events : The War of the Corpses(Amestris), The Amarthan Civil War(?)

Following several centuries of civil war in Amarthan territories following their near complete defeat by Xavierist Republican forces in the final war between the two states before the Republic's downfall and abandonment of the planet to form Vesperon after their own civil war ended. Several border incidents between the Republic of Fortuna and the Ulkadov State, one of the members of the Confederation of Sigma Draconis leads to a war between the two breaking out, with the Republic of Fortuna being joined by an irate Imperial Union who divert several fleets under Grand Admirals Kenshin Kurosawa and Jacob Warcliffe to attack Confederation space with the specific instructions to resolve the conflict as quickly as possible, and the Diomedian Military District's governor, Enrique de Teruel-Moctezuma, along with the Twelth Army's Marshal, Geralt von Geothe to engage the Ulkadovian and Confederate forces alongside the Fortunan Military.

The war quickly becomes a stalemate, with neither side able to make any notable gains, although multiple territories are exchanged within war zones over the course of weeks. Tired of the stalemate, Fortunan High Command authorizes Operation Doolittle, named for one of Fortuna's past Air Marshals. A nuclear strike combined with carpet bombings allow for a push across the entire front, although surviving Ulkadovian forces do retaliate with their own nuclear missiles, levelling major Fortunan cities and causing the state to go into a near collapse. The Military District of Diomedes is nuked as well, with Governor de Teruel-Moctezuma dying in the inceration of Tessare, the provinical capital. Marshal von Goethe responds with a massive strike of Amestris's infamous gas weapons, the newly created Amythest Blossom and the Crimson Blossom, either zombifying it's victims or killing them nearly instantly. Combined with the massive amounts of nuclear radiation, the zombies mutate out of control, and no longer respond to Imperial controls. They quickly begin to swell into the millions, and overrun positions of any army they reach. Civilians in the Ulkadovian state begin a mass evacuation, and then the Fortunans as the zombies begin to spread northwards. Suprisingly, some zombies show a degree of basic intelligence and pilot mechanized armor, armor, planes, or any other military vehicle in their advance foward, although not with any skill, more like if one stuck a neanderthal in these vehicles and let him pilot them.

Nuclear Radiation spreads across the planet, heralding a change of climate for the worse as humans begin to be exposed to the radiation in lethal doses, or succumb to the zombie horde spreading from the warzones or wherever the gas was carried by the wind. Evacuations begin en masse, and the war between the three powers that started all this is hastily ended with a ceasefire pre-bellum, after eight months of war. Meanwhile, back on Diomedes, 87% of the human population and likely a similar number of the alien populace have evacuated to celestial territories of their home nations, succumbed to the radiation or other toxic elements in the environment, or be reanimated as a part of the growing horde. Military forces attempt to fight back, but eventually are overwhelmed by the massive wave of flesh the mindless horde sends against them. Marshal von Geothe's 12th Army holes up in the former Amestrian capital city, and oversee the evacuation of Imperial citizens who have not already gotten off the planet, as the Grand Admirals assigned to the conflict arrive in orbit over the planet to take refugees to Archades. The 12th Army holds out for another month, but a single breach becomes a flood, and a panicked race for the shuttles begins in the military and remaining civilians. von Geothe, in his personal mech is able to engage it's VTOL engines and hover above the ruined city and escape shortly after. With nearly two thirds of Diomedes fallen to the horde, made into a nuclear wasteland, altered for the worse, or otherwise, the planet is abandoned to it's fate by most factions. Amestris occassionally sends small teams to the planet to try and harvest the unique zombie strains on it, but most of these fail.

Losses :
    Diomedes becomes uninhabitale for the most part
    40,000,000+ civilians
    1-8,000,000 military personnel of all factions totaled
    Millions of civilians displaced.

Note : Anyone not mentioned is likely off the planet by now.
    Last edited by Xion; April 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'd rather the Amathran descend into civil war not because they lost horribly(really not because they lost at all), but because deep into the bloodiest and most economically draining UR-Imperial war the emperor died in battle, or perhaps the UR nukes an Imperial army he happens to be leading, ofcourse with some dramatic reason as to why that would be a unexpected choice for the UR, may be they had to nuke a city the Amathran were holding(that still had UR citzens in it) or they nuked them as the Amathran engaged a UR army taking out their when with the invading Imperials for extra angst, but the UR couldn't push their advantage(however slight) because they fell into chaos aswell. Could you live with that Dan?

Edit
    Also despight the **** state of this planet the Amathran will still hold a clean zone in the Vally of the Lords(more or less their ancient temple grounds). And maybe use survival on the planet for a day or two as a test of worth for Battle Masters and Warlords.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Content Emeritus

I'm cool with that, Perry.

As for all of the planet being a wasteland, is everybody actually okay with that? Vesperon wouldn't care because they want absolutely no part in Diomedean politics any more, but what does everybody else say?

I dunno. It removes the arguing over the planet aspect.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

I say the War of the Corpses is good for the Wasteland argument.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."