View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

ok then thanks alot Metallistic

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my video cards to the next level. Here are my current system specs:

Intel i7-950 OC 4.0 GHz
    1 256 SSD
    1 128 SSD
    1 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD
    1 1TB 5400 RPM EHDD
    2x Radeon 5870 1 GB
    24 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 Ram.

I play on a 27 inch monitor that maxes out at 1920 x 1080
    I have two smaller monitors that I use to browse, work on for school / work, ect

First note is cost is not a factor between these cards (do not recommend that I go get the Titan, haha)

I am looking at the GeForce 770, 780, and the Radeon 7990.

Which one would be the best to "max" out Rome 2? I know my CPU is creating a bottleneck.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ALFAJI View Post
    i want a better performance but if i toke the extreme will it perform better than the 4770k or any i7 from the 4th gen ?
    Hi if you like head into my bechmarks thread. Myself was very impressed that the quad channel memory configuration did not help a bit for a better performance. You can safely go with haswell in case of total war.

Quote Originally Posted by ALFAJI View Post
    then thanks alot ) but for gpu is the gtx 780 the best one or theres better than it coz i saw today a 4gb card gpu will it be better for rome 2 than the gtx 780 ?
    You also should check the TW tech myths to get a reliable answer for your graphics card ram question.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

good morning lads,

yesterday I talked to someone about his new rig I would like to build virtually. Who was this? Cleaned my pm store which contained about 400 ones and I deleted to much I think. Cannot find the conversation.
    Whoever I talked I asked him to give me tech details. Please send me a pm again. Sorry.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Metallistic View Post
    The GT 630 is really slow so I would not hope for more than a mix of low and medium settings at 720p. It is the major bottleneck in the specified system.

You should be fine with medium settings at 720p. Also, you might need to turn off shadows completely, as well as other particle effects etc., playing on something like medium unit scale.

The safest bet for both of you would be to give the Shogun 2 demo a whirl.
    Well I have all total war games (except shogun 1) and I run them on a rubbish 1core , 9400GT..shogun 2 works very well on medium settings with medium unit size.(Many said that because of my 1680x1050 res).So yes ,I am the the one that proves that the sys req are exaggerated.
    That computer that i wrote i planned to buy...alqamar will give me some advice.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

hello all.i would like to ask you something for my case.

i ve a packard bell laptop

i3 m-370 2.40ghz
    3gb ddr3 ram
    ati mobility radeon hd 5650 vga

my question is that i ve both win7 64 bit and win7 32 bit ultimate versions.Which of those operating system ll give me better performance for rome2 total war?

Epic28's Avatar Senator

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-Superclocked-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00DMB6C4C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377271742&sr=8-3&keywords=GeForce+GTX+760#productDetails

Go with that one out of the three you sent. Its clocked the fastest at 1085MHz, and EVGA has great warranty service. I know nothing about that Palit brand.

Quote Originally Posted by karaislam View Post
    hello all.i would like to ask you something for my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by karaislam View Post

i ve a packard bell laptop

i3 m-370 2.40ghz
    3gb ddr3 ram
    ati mobility radeon hd 5650 vga

my question is that i ve both win7 64 bit and win7 32 bit ultimate versions.Which of those operating system ll give me better performance for rome2 total war?

Always go with 64 bit.
    Last edited by Epic28; August 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-Superclocked-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B00DMB6C4C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377271742&sr=8-3&keywords=GeForce+GTX+760#productDetails

Go with that one out of the three you sent. Its clocked the fastest at 1085MHz, and EVGA has great warranty service. I know nothing about that Palit brand.

Cheers your a hero.

Sharpe, just to let you know, this is on Scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-m...ores-1344-plus

I bought one the other day specifically for Rome II. It was Ł179 when I bought it but it's jumped up in price slightly. Runs Shogun II fully maxed out at about 50FPS unless there's a tonne of units on screen. AFAIK the 670 beats the 760 slightly, and this one is cheaper!
    | Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 | I5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz| MSI GeForce GTX 670 | OCZ Intel Extreme 8G RAM |
    | Crucial SSD C300 64 | Samsung F3 1TB | Corsair Hydro H60 | Corsair HX 850W | Corsair 600T |

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

@ Epic28 - Palit have improved a lot, and they actually have a DrMos chip on their cards (I'm not sure if other vendors do this, but I don't think so), which improves power delivery and efficiency. They make very cost-effective cards, but certainly not top-end, more expensive designs like the big names.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    @ Epic28 - Palit have improved a lot, and they actually have a DrMos chip on their cards (I'm not sure if other vendors do this, but I don't think so), which improves power delivery and efficiency. They make very cost-effective cards, but certainly not top-end, more expensive designs like the big names.
    Ahhh I gotcha. Well I honestly haven't ever seen any PC hardware for sale in the States offered by Palit, guess they just haven't fully expanded in my neck of the woods.

The EVGA card was actually cheaper tho and everyone knows EVGA is a quality manufacturer and offer great warranty service (3 years on GPUs???). Not to discredit the little guys out there either of course
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

If course, EVGA are one of the top suppliers for Nvidia, and for good reasons, but it never hurts to try another manufacturer
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    What you heard is definitely false, they're very different, and both good for their purposes.

With the PC you mentioned, between high and ultra

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    So do you think I should stick with my current processor or use a different one?

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W
    Power: 500w Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder, 80% Eff’, 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX
    Memory: 10GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic
    Card: 2GB Zotac GTX 760 AMP! Edition, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6208MHz GDDR5, GPU 1111MHz, Boost 1176MHz, Cores 1152
    Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M PRO Rev3, Intel H67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16) DDR3 1333, SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, mATX, VGA

After a CPU/GPU upgrade...I'll have this rig set up.

I may need a BIOS update to integrate the Ivy Bridge into my H67 mobo though...any ideas if that's likely and where I'd download?

Thanks!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♦Assiduus Victoria♦ View Post
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W
    Power: 500w Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder, 80% Eff’, 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX
    Memory: 10GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic
    Card: 2GB Zotac GTX 760 AMP! Edition, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6208MHz GDDR5, GPU 1111MHz, Boost 1176MHz, Cores 1152
    Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M PRO Rev3, Intel H67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16) DDR3 1333, SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, mATX, VGA

After a CPU/GPU upgrade...I'll have this rig set up.

I may need a BIOS update to integrate the Ivy Bridge into my H67 mobo though...any ideas if that's likely and where I'd download?

Thanks!
    Hi there the rig looks consistent for total war.

The easiest way open Internet Explorer instead of any other browser go to www.asus.com support install the automatic finder active x plug in an he heads you to your mainboard bios and driver downloads.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Hello everyone! Super stoked for the release of Rome 2 and its time to upgrade the next bottleneck in my system. So I'll get straight to it.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.8GHz
    GPU: NVidia GTX 660
    HSF: CPU Stock
    MoBo: Not sure how to find this?
    RAM: 8.00GB (Not sure how to find brand or DDR rating?)
    SSD: None
    HDD: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1.0 TB
    PSU: Not sure how to find this?
    Case: No idea

So obviously first I need some help to figure out how to fill in all the blanks so I can properly inform all of you of what hardware I'm using.

Then I'd really appreciate information on where my bottlenecks are and just how far behind they are the current standard/how high their upgrade priority is. Recommendations on what hardware I should upgrade to are appreciated but at the end of the day I'll end up doing my research and deciding how much I'm willing to spend, so all I really need to know is what items actually need to be upgraded rather than what to replace them with.

Thanks so much for your time TWC Community!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

The rig you have is ok and upgrading won't help a lot, at least if is not cost efficient to upgrade. The CPU is bottlenecking but you can easily run at least high settings. If you want to participate on the benchmark thread that would be cool. We could need your results. Also you find out how to get the mainboard and ram info there (CPU-z) have look

If you don't mind installing a third party program, you could install CPU-Z to find out more specifics about your PC.
    The 'mainboard' tab will tell you what you need to know about your motherboard, while the 'memory' tab will tell you more about your memory.

If you prefer not installing CPU-Z, then you can find your motherboard info by going to Windows start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > System information. With 'System summary' selected (default), you should be able to find info about your mobo under "System manufacturer" and "System model".
    For more info about your memory you'll need to open your PC though. There will be a sticker with more info on it; something like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Even if you use CPU-Z, it won't help you find out info about your PSU or case though.
    For the PSU you will have to open your PC. Usually there is a sticker with info located on its side.
    The case will be harder unless it's written on the case. Usually you'll be able to find a brand name at least. Then you could go the their website and look at their cases and check which one it is by the looks.

my computer is:

i5 3570 3.4 GHZ
    gtx 770 2GB
    8 GB Ram

I get 34 fps in Shogun`s CPU benchmark and 77 fps in dx11 ultra settings benchmark

Most of the time game runs great at 60-90 fps but in huge, zoomed in melee (i have all setting on ultra with 4x AA, blood pack and large unit size) perfomance drops to 20s fps

Are those fps drops normal in Shogun 2? It looks like bad CPU optimization