View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

I think there is a good chance, that 1.35v for 24h will reduce the lifetime of your CPU. I have a 4770K and I will not go above 1.3v for daily operation because for a 22nm CPU that's pretty high and I have already seen reports of chip degradation. 4.2 with 1.2v would defenitely be more healthy or maybe 4.3 with 1.24v if that works. Your fan will also run much more quiet I guess

Btw, which synthetic test did u run? You need one using the new AVX2 instructions because there is an extra automatic voltage bump in the CPU when using those instructions (recent versions of AIDA64, Intel burn test or Prime95 use those instructions).

Quote Originally Posted by Innos View Post
    I'm about to buy a new PC with an Intel i5 4670. Do you think I'd need to buy an aftermarket heatsink for it?
    If you want very quiet operation or you want to overclock (you would need a 4670K model though), then u need an aftermarket cooler, otherwise not. You can just try the default cooler and if it's too loud you can still replace it afterwards.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; August 22, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Would A MSI GS70 Laptop run Rome II

Quote Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
    Yes.

Why do people think you somehow need top of the line supercomputers to run Rome 2?
    Because most would like to play on high or ultra settings ?
    I've built a 500 € upgrade here so that's not a supercomputer really.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Hadro's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    I think there is a good chance, that 1.35v for 24h will reduce the lifetime of your CPU. I have a 4770K and I will not go above 1.3v for daily operation because for a 22nm CPU that's pretty high and I have already seen reports of chip degradation. 4.2 with 1.2v would defenitely be more healthy or maybe 4.3 with 1.24v if that works. Your fan will also run much more quiet I guess

Btw, which synthetic test did u run? You need one using the new AVX2 instructions because there is an extra automatic voltage bump in the CPU when using those instructions (recent versions of AIDA64, Intel burn test or Prime95 use those instructions).
    I ran Prime95 and then AIDA64. Both gave similar results. Based on what I have read around the net, 1.37v doesn't seem too bad. Are you playing it extremely safe? I will probably replace my CPU in 2-3 years.

I ran the STW2 CPU benchmark with 4.2Ghz and had an average frame rate of 42.3

Then I ran the STW2 CPU benchmark with 4.5Ghz and had an average frame rate of 43.4

So I am thinking that I will reduce back down to 4.2-4.3 @ 1.27v (1 fps doesn't make much of a difference)

What are your thoughts?

CPU:
    i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz OC (Cooler master hyper evo 212)
    Mobo: Asus Z87-a
    GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC edition

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

I personally wouldn't touch above 1.3v, that should be the absolute limit for everyone on haswell, but I still stay well below that because I don't have extravagent cooling.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

nord13's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by nord13 View Post
    hi...im upgrading my cpu..i guess unit size and animation of units related with cpu(!?)...you guys think is there alot difference beetwen i3 3220 3.3 ghz vs i5 3570 3.4 (stock) ? btw my gpu is gtx 660ti..i just want to play everything at high(maybe few ultra witout aa filters) and max unit size for Rome II....
    Any idea pls?

Any idea pls?
    At high/ultra you'll want an i5 get the one you can afford

Any idea pls?
    Please run the Shogun 2 CPU benchmark and tell us your numbers (please switch off blood pack DLC before if u have that). Then we can compare that to a i5 3570.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    At high/ultra you'll want an i5 get the one you can afford

thx for feedback mate..but why exacly i should go i5...because of 4 core over Hyper T. 2 core of i3 ? or cpu clock (3.3 vs 3.4)..maybe there is something different about their tecnology for games..?at OP look like overclock is necessary for max unit size which i dont like..because my previous e7200 exploded for overclocking issues dont want overclock anymore

@nord13

Just run the CPU benchmark. Without your numbers we can only do guesswork. Shogun 2 (and probably) Rome 2 don't have very good multi-core support and performance scaling above 2 cores is pretty bad.

Please run the Shogun 2 CPU benchmark and tell us your numbers (please switch off blood pack DLC before if u have that). Then we can compare that to a i5 3570.
    i cant..need buy a working cpu first my old e7200 broken because of stupid overclockin attempts

i cant..need buy a working cpu first my old e7200 broken because of stupid overclockin attempts
    Ah, what did u do? I als had an overclocked e7200 for 2 years and no problem. Although it didn't overclock much, just sth. like 20%.

I guess u are aware of the fact that for newer CPUs like the 3570k u also need a new motherboard and stuff.

Ah, what did u do? I als had an overclocked e7200 for 2 years and no problem. Although it didn't overclock much, just sth. like 20%.

I guess u are aware of the fact that for newer CPUs like the 3570k u also need a new motherboard and stuff.
    ah yes im comp tech just try to understand what this game actualy demand from me
    btw i just set cpu voltage to high..i mean max lol by accident ofc (when try to find nice balance 3.2 ghz or so...for my old mobo which somehow cannot go beyond 9.5 multp.333 fsb )...then its dead literally..shogun 2 was unplayeble with default e7200 clock...again need right answer i3 or i5 with same clockbecause price drop is huge for my country..if i3 3220 perform good as i5 3570..i might thinkin upgrade my 660ti to 760 gtx

An upgrade from a 660TI to a 760 doesn't make much difference. In this case I would rather go for the 3570 instead of i3 + 760.

MonTeZuma's Avatar Semisalis

Silly question when upgrading th graphics card is it as simple as swapping them out? Hypothetically if I was changing a Gtx 680 for a 780 or the new 8 series when they come will it be a simple case of change the cards, check drivers are up to date as they tend to use the same and that's it?

Obviously if its Nvidia to amd I am aware it's completely different drivers.
    Drink Whiskey and you'll feel better.

Hekko's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    You shouldn't be intimidated by building a PC on your own. With all the youtube guides, simple visual installation instructions, and one way install components it is a very easy task given all the parts needed to run it. Saves $$$ in the end.

But if this is something you are absolutely sure you don't want to try then my only recommendation is getting the i5-4670, you have no need for the K because thats only for overclocking, and since you arent comfortable building it, I doubt you'll be comfortable trying to overclock either.

That is a beast of a rig and some components (16 GB of RAM) aren't completely necessary, 8GB max for RAM. Your PSU doesn't need to be 850W either, can be suitable to find a cheaper one around 600-750W.

Short answer, the PC as is now, will max out anything that you throw at it and any games to come in the future...
    It's not that I am entirely uncapablr of building a PC, I've changed my PSU when the old one fried for instance. It's just that I am not really a DIY kind of guy. I don't mind poking about in the BIOS to change the multipliers around though since that calls for less screwdriver action.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MonTeZuma View Post
    Silly question when upgrading th graphics card is it as simple as swapping them out? Hypothetically if I was changing a Gtx 680 for a 780 or the new 8 series when they come will it be a simple case of change the cards, check drivers are up to date as they tend to use the same and that's it?

Obviously if its Nvidia to amd I am aware it's completely different drivers.
    Yeah, you pop one out and replace it with the new one. Then plug back in the PCI-E cables, update your drivers with the software the GPU comes with, and you are good to go.

The only thing is now a lot of GPU's are massive, due to their manufactured cooling systems, so if you have a small case make sure the dimensions on the card will fit it. My Gigabyte GTX 760 is practically the length of my forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    It's not that I am entirely uncapablr of building a PC, I've changed my PSU when the old one fried for instance. It's just that I am not really a DIY kind of guy. I don't mind poking about in the BIOS to change the multipliers around though since that calls for less screwdriver action.
    The only things that needs screwed in will be your Mobo to your case (impossible to mess up) and CPU cooler, which I personally find to be the only challenge in the entirety of building a PC. If you can change a tire you can build a PC, and I promise, once you build one you'll never go back.

If you feel overclocking is something you'll consider trying later down the road then get the i5-4670K, but don't get 16GB of RAM, get 8GB and spend half as much. The PSU price can be decreased as well. Me personally, I'd never spend over $400 on a GPU either. Check prices for the GTX 760 in your area and see how they are compared to the 680.
    Last edited by Epic28; August 22, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

thx for feedback mate..but why exacly i should go i5...because of 4 core over Hyper T. 2 core of i3 ? or cpu clock (3.3 vs 3.4)..maybe there is something different about their tecnology for games..?at OP look like overclock is necessary for max unit size which i dont like..because my previous e7200 exploded for overclocking issues dont want overclock anymore
    A core is always better than a thread, especially for gaming. 4 cores is better than 4 threads.

You can get max unit sizes without an overclock, but you'll get lag once there are a few full stack armies, although most people don't even care about that

Baltizar's Avatar Civis

I notice that some new desktop systems have HDMI to connect direct to a TV. Does this mean that if you connect the pc to the tv will the sound as well as the picture come out of the TV as well

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Baltizar View Post
    I notice that some new desktop systems have HDMI to connect direct to a TV. Does this mean that if you connect the pc to the tv will the sound as well as the picture come out of the TV as well
    Yes. Almost all motherboards now come with onboard audio. I plug my HDMI into my GPU and am currently playing FarCry 3 on my 55' LED LG flatscreen. 1080P. Its glorious.

Saved me from spending $200 on a monitor.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Well it's all good I suppose, but why the Xeon? Also, is there any chance you could invest some more cash into the GPU? A GTX 760 would be a fairly good improvement, and if you can't afford it, just get 4GB of RAM instead You also don't need a PSU that large, get something around 550W, like this Seasonic for $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151094
    It's because I heard people say the e3-1230 v2 has the price of an I5 but works like an I7, that's why I am buying it.
    What kind of graphics and unit sizes do you think I can handle with this PC?