View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%
Page 12 of 182 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Building YOUR Own PC for YOU and "In Anticipation" for Rome 2

Yeah, I have most of my games on the 1TB HD. My OS HD is about 80% full (too many Steam sales, lol). In addition, some games which I play frequently I have on a separate SSD. Since you already have a SSD, you obviously don't need the caching feature. Caching is great if you have a large OS partition for which a dedicated SSD would be too expensive or if you want to have less hassle moving/reinstalling Windows on the new SSD. Adding a cache SSD is relatively simple with the Z68/Z77 chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Yeah, I have most of my games on the 1TB HD. My OS HD is about 80% full (too many Steam sales, lol). In addition, some games which I play frequently I have on a separate SSD. Since you already have a SSD, you obviously don't need the caching feature. Caching is great if you have a large OS partition for which a dedicated SSD would be too expensive or if you want to have less hassle moving/reinstalling Windows on the new SSD. Adding a cache SSD is relatively simple with the Z68/Z77 chipset.
    But how will the normal HDD benefact from the SSD? =)

The Z68 chipset can use a small (up to 64GB) SSD to cache the most often used content of the HD. That will especially speed up the Windows startup and loading of your desktop, together with the most commonly used programs. Programs which are used rarely don't benefit much/at all from the caching. If you want, you can also cache the writing to the HD which will make it much more responsive for small/medium amounts of writing.

In practice, when I disable SSD caching, I can clearly see the progressive loading of all my 100 desktop icons, taking maybe 4-5 seconds in total. With the cache enabled, all icons are there at once, when the desktop is displayed first.

Quote Originally Posted by Raftermandk View Post
    I hope i can recieve some info from you experts

I just upgraded my rig with a new GPU. The rig is 1½ year old so most of the hardware is pretty new. I hope to be able to max out Rome 2 with most of the settings. Can someone give their opinions?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 OC - 2 GB GDDR5
    Intel Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4)Vengeance
    Corsair Gaming Series GS600
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 1.0)

oc that cpu should give u at least a 10fps boost from stock to around 4ghz. (i'd say more like 15fps).

(u'll need an aftermarket cooler).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 25, 2013 at 09:25 AM.

If it's a straight 2500 without the k, overclocking won't be easy though.

I'd rather not oc it. I know it isnt brand new anymore, but i guess i gets the job done quite allright?

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Ok guys, I thought that I would finally get this thing started up, properly....

I want to recommend products that are both reliable, available across 90% of countries, and not just focused to the super-high-end-enthusiast (eg. Evga Motherboards), but definitely focused on gamers in general. So, below I'll list a bunch of manufacturers for all the different components, and I want others to tell me what they think of it so far:

CPU : Intel, AMD
    Mobo : ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock
    RAM : Corsair, G.Skill, Samsung (are others really necessary? I would suggest Mushkin but they are no where in Australia)
    Kingston's quite good, I don't know about international availability, but that said, no one can match G.Skill's price and warranty. I reserve Corsair only for people who are willing to pay extra for the brand name and slightly better performance, but you can't beat G.Skill in terms of value.

GPU : Gigabyte, ASUS, Evga, MSI (best cards), HIS, Zotac, XFX, Sapphire (other good cards)
    ASUS has gone to hell lately with their defective cards, bad warranties, and terrible RMA process. I don't recommend them anymore, there's much better options. Also, I'd add PowerColor to that list. They have some DOA but their cards are incredibly powerful and have amazing coolers for much cheaper than the competition.

PSU : Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (best), Antec, Silverstone, Cooler Master, OCZ, Rosewill (other good ones).
    Corsair's still good, but I think I'd recommend Cooler Master over them. (Or whoever CM's OEM is now) Corsair's PSU quality has dropped a bit over the last year or so.

Air CPU Coolers : Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Noctua (I've course there are others, but these are the best for the intended price points)
    Xigmatek makes some really nice ones too, for pretty cheaply.
    Water CPU Coolers : NZXT, Corsair (I haven't heard much about the others, but these are the best as far as I know)
    The Thermaltake Water 2.0 is one of the best coolers for the money. I'd probably take it over an h60 or something along those lines. Also the Swiftech h220 is supposed to be flat out amazing.

Cases : So much choices...... NZXT, Corsair, Antec, Bitfenix, Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Silverstone probably the best choices.
    What I've found is that if you don't care about looks, Xigmatek has the most features and cheapest prices for ATX cases.
    SSD : Samsung (#1 choice right now, no reason to get any others, unless your running a server, then Intel has something like 0.01% more reliability)
    The new OCZ I think, doesn't use Sandforce anymore and is supposed to be pretty reliable.

The thing is, I wouldn't want to recommend just blanket parts since some things will always be more value for money because of sales, rebates, package deals, etc.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Well, same as usual regarding the prices. Sadly, in that region, there is essentially no competition from AMD. What's most annoying is that Intel never lowers the prices of it's older generation. Just look at the price of a i7-2600K, it costs the same as 2 years ago.

hollowfaith's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi guys, I'm building a new computer as a gaming rig/audio workstation. I've read a lot of boards and seen tons of benchmarks on both CPU's but I'd like your opinions on these two builds.

INTEL
    Asus z77 Sabretooth
    3770K CPU
    8gb G.Skill ripjaws pc1600
    WD 500gb HD Sata 6.0gb

Total cost=$692 USD and change

the other...

AMD
    Asus Sabretooth AM3+
    8350 Vishera
    16gb G.Skill ripjaws pc1600
    WD 500gb HD Sata 6.0gb

Total Cost=$536 USD and change

I'm running windows 7 64bit and have 2x Radeon HD 4870's that'll be running in crossfire. I know they're way outdated and will be replaced in about a year. I'm trying to keep the budget under $700 but also trying not to ramp up right to the limit.

My current rig still can play skyrim on max settings, and shogun on high settings with a few options turned off.

My current rig...
    AMD x2 4400+
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    4gb G.Skill

Thanks for your opinions!
    Rome II Total Realism (TW:R2) - Music composer.
    Rome Total Realism Project (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.
    Rome Total Realism: VII (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.

Authentic Ancient World: (TW:R2) - Music composer

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Are you guys ready for this?

Machine name: LAPTOP
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B815 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 5996MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Display Memory: 1760 MB

What a beast. Maxing out SimCity 2000 like a boss.
    Last edited by Sharpe; March 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Are you guys ready for this?

Machine name: LAPTOP
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B815 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 5996MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Display Memory: 1760 MB

What a beast.
    You wont even be able to install Rome II. Steam will pop up a big WTF message if you click on Rome II install button.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I know.

Reppin' that Celeron processor. I must be the only person in Europe to still have one.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

What's 6GB of RAM doing in that?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Waiting to be harvested for my next computer.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Is it 3x2GB DIMMs?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I have no idea.

@hollowfait
    Why do u want a Sabertooth? It will add $100 over only slightly lesser boards.

And regarding the CPU choice, which software are you using which would use all the cores of the AMD CPU?

Maiden_Ante's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Building a PC for Rome 2 tutorial

Okay so I've got what I think is a decent graphics card, processor etc BUT will an SSD perform so much better that it's worth buying? And can I run it with a 750W net part (not sure what it's called in English)?

The parts;
    Graphics: XFX Radeon HD6940 2048MB with dual fans
    Net: Corsair AX 750W 80+ Gold ed
    Processor: Intel core i7 2600K 3,5GHz
    MB: MSI P67A-GD55 REV B3
    Internal memory: 8GB RAM of Corsair DDR3 "CL9 1600Mhz XMS3".

So, what do you think, could I run an SSD for my OS as well as games, if I use my old HDD for media storage?

Default Re: Building a PC for Rome 2 tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden_Ante View Post
    Okay so I've got what I think is a decent graphics card, processor etc BUT will an SSD perform so much better that it's worth buying? And can I run it with a 750W net part (not sure what it's called in English)?

The parts;
    Graphics: XFX Radeon HD6940 2048MB with dual fans
    Net: Corsair AX 750W 80+ Gold ed
    Processor: Intel core i7 2600K 3,5GHz
    MB: MSI P67A-GD55 REV B3
    Internal memory: 8GB RAM of Corsair DDR3 "CL9 1600Mhz XMS3".

So, what do you think, could I run an SSD for my OS as well as games, if I use my old HDD for media storage?
    only worth getting a 120gb ssd. just got a plextor one and it doesnt run at full speed. you need sata3 for that and my i7 920 board is sata 2. still it's noticeably quicker and I have bioshock infinite installed and darkness2 which load in an instant.

have 40gb left which i'll install company of heroes2 and rome 2 to. that said as it stands i dont think ssd makes that much difference in re total wars. so expensive they are but I am not regretting getting one over a wd caviar or similar (cost me £100 for the plextor pro and a 1tb wd caviar would have been in the region of £60..

some reviews

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_categ...dd|ssd%29.html

p.s and yeah am using my normal hdd for storage and a few other titles (like world of tanks).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM.