View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
    Hi, can you tell me if i will be able to run Rome 2 on ultra with my PC?

1. Intel Core i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.0Ghz
    2. 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    3. Dual 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 AMD CrossfireX Enabled
    4. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, w/Media
    badass
    To offend us is to offend God

What about me?

Thi is my computer:

http://www.acer.com.ph/ac/en/PH/cont...t/DT.SJPSP.003

My system!:

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits.
    -Intel 4 core i7-3770 3.40 GHz.
    -8GB DDR3 SDRAM.
    -Nvidia GeForce GT 645.

Default Re: Building a PC for Rome 2 tutorial

Hi i would like to know if i should try running this on my laptop. It is a dell latitude D830. here is a link to the specs http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-lat...-32451950.html. now i have a computer that can play this no problem but i wont be able to play using it all the time. My dad gave me this laptop and the only thing i know he changed is adding more ram. he put the max amount inside. If the game might destroy my computer i wont play it and just settle for every once in a while.

DELETED
    Last edited by Aruberikku; July 31, 2023 at 05:02 AM.

lokomoko's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramesses II The Great View Post
    I think your system is good. I don't think your 8BG Corsairs will matter since your GPU already has dedicated memory, but 8GB Corsairs are very good in general. Also, generally speaking, with graphic intensive games like Total War games you might just want a graphics card with atleast 2 GB of memory. THe one i bought yesterday has 6 GB so that should be sweet for the upcoming ROme II.
    Yeah, the GPU is definitely the bottleneck for me in TW games, I'll be trying to upgrade that + PSU ASAP.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Where would I find the benchmark tool?

Here is something to consider..

I use my laptop for everything: itunes, school, rtw, m2tw, modding and mods, and other programs. I bought the new desktop solely for R2. I have downloaded Spotify so I can listen to music on it, Steam for activation and dlcs/updates and that is it.
    I recently installed Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (a game that was super choppy on an older CPU) and it worked amazing, super smooth. I uninstalled it, and I do not plan on ever putting anything on this CPU except for R2.

Will that make a difference in performance at all?
    Download the Shogun 2 demo from steam on your desktop and see if it runs on your PC, this will give you a decent estimate of what you can expect from Rome 2. A couple of things to note is you spent money on a rig that can barely run Rome 2, if at all. To compare a game like Medal of Honor PA running versus Rome 2 is like trying to play a PS3 title on PS2.

You should of done a little more research before you made your purchase. Bottom line.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruberikku View Post
    Yes, you should do fine.
    badass
    Thanks! Do you think I will be able to get >60 fps on ultra with this set up?

Btw I also have a 120 hz monitor FYI

Yeah, you are right. I guess I was little over my head with my expectations that day. I took it back and got a refund. And I have researched and found a few sites that offer customized desktops. Looks like I'll go that route to get the hardware needed to play R2. It's a real shame that we have to spend x amount of money to just play one game, but for this game it's worth it.

Currently, that will probably run the game on medium settings. With an upgrade of the GPU you should be able to go for high settings.
    What's your budget?

About 150 €. What do you recommend I do?.

Thx gor all.

Geniuswas's Avatar Civis

Where would I find the benchmark tool?
    Use a free program called Fraps.

Here is something to consider..

I use my laptop for everything: itunes, school, rtw, m2tw, modding and mods, and other programs. I bought the new desktop solely for R2. I have downloaded Spotify so I can listen to music on it, Steam for activation and dlcs/updates and that is it.
    I recently installed Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (a game that was super choppy on an older CPU) and it worked amazing, super smooth. I uninstalled it, and I do not plan on ever putting anything on this CPU except for R2.

Will that make a difference in performance at all?
    Hardly. If you overload your computer with unneccesary programs running at once then that will have a performance drop. Otherwise installing many programs will not nearly cause the same amount of performance hindrance. Make sure to close unneccesary programs and applications!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

In Shogun 2 you would find the benchmark tool by launching Shogun 2 through Steam, then you would get several options. Can't guarantee it will be included with Rome II though.
    The Bechmark for Rome 2 is definitely included in the options menu where you can choose the graphics settings so you can more easily testdrive your settings made.
    However based on the information I have it does not have a cpu benchmark (melee close up) there. If this would be same in the final we could not compare if the promised optimisations apply.

This would then be a really sneaky way to cover facts under a veil of mystery. Let's hope we also get a cpu benchmark for Rome 2.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

badass
    Regarding my benchmark thread this system will not perform better than a way cheaper 3770k with dual channel ram. Waste of money for Total War sadly :/.

Feel free to run the benchmarks in my signature.

Thanks for adding positive facts about SLI barbarian. Still I think SLI is some kind a waste of resources for a single monitor solution and as Rome 2 does not support Multimonitor scenarios I really don't see much sense and less return on investment.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 31, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    If this would be same in the final we could not compare if the promised optimisations apply.
    I don't think we are going to see any significant improvement in that area. Even their own video in the 'How to play' Wiki is choppy in the same places as Shogun 2. Just watch from second 11:

And that's even without any fighting action going on.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

At least this video shows us DX 11 graphics this time.

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Default Using SSD for only Rome II not for Windows

Loading times in TW games are long. SSD is the solution but they are expensive.

While Windows installed on my old HDD, can I install and play Rome II on a small SSD (I think 60GB is enough for Rome II and mods) without problem?
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

DrEvil's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Using SSD for only Rome II not for Windows

When the SSD is installed properly, there shouldn't be any problems with that.

Why not go 120GB? They are not that expensive anymore, CPUs and GPUs cost often way more. Think of mods and addons for Rome 2 and plan with a little reserve.

I bought nearly a whole new computer for Rome II and of course I bought a Samsung SSD 840 Basic 250GB for 149€, its a difference between day and night. The system starts in 8-12seconds and Rome will run smoothly

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

I have a friend who plays Rome II review. He has SSD, he insalled Windows and Rome II on SSD and a big battle (40vs40units) loaded in just 8 seconds. My loading time of a battle in Shogun 2 was more than a minute.

Using SSD with Windows installed on it and without; does it make difference?
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;