View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%
Page 82 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3257727374757677787980818283848586878889909192107132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3621

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

I guess I am getting a new build as well. I knew initial promises sometimes don't work out. Always hoped it would still have same shogun 2 graphics requirements.

Actually a whole new laptop. Damned Integrated cards.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Any chance the newest MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via BootCamp and 8GB of RAM will be able to run the game?

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    Any chance the newest MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via BootCamp and 8GB of RAM will be able to run the game?
    It depends, are you talking about the one that has only the Intel integrated graphics card or the one with the discrete graphics card? Both will run it, but the first one only on really low settings.

Just tell me what processor it has and what graphics card (it should tell you if you go in "Info on my mac" or something like that), the ram is plenty.
    Last edited by SamueleD; July 28, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    @ totalheadache, I'd wait and see what AMD's new cards will be like. If they're good enough, I'm selling my 780 and buying whatever I can afford with that cash.
    Good joking splenyi
    If I see the small advantage of a 770 to a 670 I doubt that would be reasonable but more experimental. Can't image you have any performance issues on a 780, do you and you can use FXAA I am not sure if AMD use it as well. Any information about that? If they're not this would be a bad deal. And additionally you know NVidia will strike back soon mate.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    and you can use FXAA I am not sure if AMD use it as well. Any information about that? If they're not this would be a bad deal. And additionally you know NVidia will strike back soon mate.
    Don't know about what AMD has in mind, but I know that this exist http://www.radeonpro.info/ and, though not official, has made life easier for many AMD owners, particularly with Crossfire, it also allows for FXAA and a lot of other shiny things.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SamueleD View Post
    It depends, are you talking about the one that has only the Intel integrated graphics card or the one with the discrete graphics card? Both will run it, but the first one only on really low settings.

Just tell me what processor it has and what graphics card (it should tell you if you go in "Info on my mac" or something like that), the ram is plenty.
    I'm talking about the 15in Retina which has the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card and a 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.

Roma Surrectum II

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I hope so we cannot effort to loose a competitor to intel and NVidia. No question they are market leaders but as we see with Total War how technology suffers with no competition.

With that specs your mac book should work fine on low or mid settings because of the "retina" resolution is higher than 1080p
    Last edited by alQamar; July 28, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    I'm talking about the 15in Retina which has the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card and a 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.
    Should do fine, more or less, just don't run the game at the full 2880-by-1800 but at 1920 by 1200.

Oh, and, since it has Hyper-Threading, you should tweak a particular setting in the preference file for optimally running Shogun 2, maybe it will be the same in Rome II.
    The setting is:
    number_of_threads 0; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

and should be set to either:
    number_of_threads 8; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

or:
    number_of_threads 16; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #
    Last edited by SamueleD; July 28, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SamueleD View Post
    Should do fine, more or less, just don't run the game at the full 2880-by-1800 but at 1920 by 1200.

Oh, and, since it has Hyper-Threading, you should tweak a particular setting in the preference file for optimally running Shogun 2, maybe it will be the same in Rome II.
    The setting is:
    number_of_threads 0; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

and should be set to either:
    number_of_threads 8; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

or:
    number_of_threads 16; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #
    Thanks for the tip! +Rep

Roma Surrectum II

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

7970 or the 670?
    I would buy the 7990 but the GPU market is like changing socks and the comp will only be used for Rome 2 anyhow.
    Or will I benefit from a 7990 for Rome2 actually?

I have the 7850 massive OC'ed
    AMD 8350 @ 5GHz
    8GB ram
    256x3 SSDs forgot name tho. Not Intel Im sure of that.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Your card is well enough for Rome a change now will be a vaste Doc. Wait for the game launch and new benchmarks and the new cards in October

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Your card is well enough for Rome a change now will be a vaste Doc. Wait for the game launch and new benchmarks and the new cards in October
    You have any clues on what AMD will release CPU wise in a near future?
    I know of the 5GHz centurion I think it was called lol @ the price.
    I mean can we expect a new AMD CPU in a near future?

Yeah I propably play Rome2 with the 7850 and see.
    But what da are the top cards for? I mean which games?
    Ive been away from the industry for too long it seems

I've a I7 3770k...16 gb RAM...and GTX660TI...

what do you think?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Dunno what the top cards are for. Playing king of the Hill in 3Dmark but definitely not needed for average games like total war lad!

---

Your ivy bridge is ok. Leave bclk at 100 Mhz and push turbo to 45 if you have not a stock cooler and a z77 board
    Use the preferences.script.txt enchantment limit to 16 instances refer posting above with mac book.
    Your 660TI should eat rome easy at full ultra settings then and use FXAA using the NVidia driver settings turn off ssao and msaa in game then.

CPU AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GZ
    GPU ATI Radeon HD 5700
    RAM 4 GB
    HDD 500 GB
    Any problems?

Hey,

Just wondering whether overclocking an i7 2600k really gains that much of an fps boost compared to upgrading the gpu?

For example, based on my experience with Shogun 2...I have to cut back on many ultra settings and the unit size to maintain a smooth experience, but even then my fps goes into the teens when approx 4000 men are in melee. I know TW games are CPU intensive games but I've never really looked into overclocking before and I'm a bit nervous of causing more harm than good lol... I mean as an estimate, how many fps could I look to gain by OCing the processor?

my current rig is below:

i7 2600k not OC
    8gb ram
    GTX 560 OC edition

i've just ordered a new GTX 770 (EVGA SC ACX) which is mainly in preparation for Rome 2, so I'm hoping this will get me decent fps including when melee occurs/zooming in etc.

any advice would be appreciated

Any further recommendations with this build? Its the same as the "Great tier" but with a 500Gb HDD instead of 1Tb. I realized that doesn't save a whole lot of cash, but I doubt I'll ever come close to filling up even the 500Gb Drive, let alone a TB. And If I really do need more space at some point, I could add in another drive with the space available in this case.

Planning to run Windows 8 64bit as the OS, would this make one of the two GPUs a clearly better option? I'm still deciding between the two.

RAM: A friend who is giving me recommendations is really pressing for 6-8GB or RAM, is that really going to be necessary? Again does the OS affect this? With this build would going passed 4Gb of RAM change the necessary power supply, case, etc? Should I decided more is needed down the line if I go with 4GB, RAM is one of the easier components to upgrade / change out correct?

* This PC won't be just for Rome, but other games as well (Diablo 3, World of tanks, War Thunder, and Civilization 5) However Rome should be the most demanding game on the system.
    CPU - i5 4670 - $220
    GPU - HD 7870 - $220 or GTX 660 - $210
    HSF - Hyper 212 Evo - $38
    Mobo - ASUS H87-Pro - $120
    RAM - Corsair 4GB - $45
    SSD - SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB - $110
    HDD- WD Black 500Gb - $75
    PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W - $85
    Case - Corsair 400R - $110

---

Also, any recommendations on a disc drive to go with this set up / case?

Going with the ASUS GTX 660, the cards cost basically the same and the ASUS is slightly better reviewed, and I feel a little safer with it being that it is the same brand as the motherboard I'll be purchasing.

Another question...is there an edit button anywhere on these forums, I would have liked to just add this to my previous post but I can't for the life of me find an "edit post" button

So my uncle needs an extension to a psu to run to his GPU but not sure exactly what he means by it. He has a dell and he said its so compact in the case its hard to add anything to it to run to the gpu. Is there such a thing as extensions to buy to run from the psu to the gpu?
    [CONTENTBOX][/CONTENTBOX]

Troll Face

Intel i5 3570K (4.2Ghz @ 1.215v); ASUS Z87 Gryphon; 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro; GTX 780; Corsair AX760i; Noctua NH-U12S; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB; WD Black 1TB; Windows 7