View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%
Page 11 of 182 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Default Re: Building YOUR Own PC for YOU and "In Anticipation" for Rome 2

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    So this would be more efficient with and extra GeForce GTX670? I do have more money if need be.

@Totalheadache, Thank you, I'll watch them in my bed tonight.

ok re the overclocking basically it's something u do in the bios but u need a cooler like the one in your build. there are specific guides alone for cpu installation and overclocking.

again enough stuff around the web for this to be relatively straightforward.

p.s dont watch in bed you'll probably fall asleep within 10 mins. best thing is when you're brain is most active so it will remember. luckily i still have a brain that tends to remember most of what it reads, if not i re-read or search for different sources until i understand it.

if you do specific advice from a Danish pc expert am sure i can hunt someone down over @guru3d.com/forum. hell they would probably help u for free..i.e with the build.

gggggggrrrrrr
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 22, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Ok, I just put in an almost identical configuration into the 'system builder' of one popular online shop and the cost is very similar to yours (2.000 Euros) and the assembly costs included are only 25 Euros. Therefore, you probably wouldn't save much money buy assembling the same configuration by yourself. Only changing the components would save you more money (e.g. CPU 500->200 Euros, Motherboard (220 -> 100Euros), RAM (2x100 -> 1x100 Euros), PSU (150 -> 100 Euros). But if you have the money the price seems to be fair. But I would really ask for a Samsung 840 256GB Pro, since that SSD should be more reliable and you might also need an additional HDD as a storage space for all your videos.

A 2nd GTX670 isn't needed yet, if you don't use a 2560x1440 monitor. But maybe in 1 or 2 years, the graphics card might be a bit limiting. In that case, you could add a second GTX670 to almost double the graphics performance (for future games or 2560x1440 resolution). And should you want add a 2nd GTX670 later, the 2GB VRAM of your current card could be severely limiting. Therefoure, you could buy a card with 4GB which costs about 30-40 Euros more but is more future proof. Another possibility ofc is that you buy a brand new fancy card in 2 years which will have more memory anyway.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

So the cooler is a good thing once I get around the overclocking thing. Okay.. Humm.. Many opinions.

I'll watch the videos after this documentary then, its about ants(Strange but interesting).
    Thank you, thatd be nice if you deem it a good thing for me. I'm not Danish but speak it, so itd be cool .

I should maybe mention that the price I showed to you includes building hours and everything.

@Barbarian Samsung 840 256GB Pro. Whats the difference between that and what I have?.

So you're suggestion is:
    Get another Graphic Card, from start or later.
    And get a Samsung 840 256GB instead of... Corsair SSD Force GS 240GB?
    Last edited by Narf; March 22, 2013 at 07:34 AM.

The 'Sandforce' controller in the Corsair doesn't have such a great history regarding reliability and it will also have about 50% less performance when writing video (incompressible) files since the SSD relies on it's own internal compression to reach peak performance.

sorry double post

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

MHmm, thanks!

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Ok guys, I thought that I would finally get this thing started up, properly....

I want to recommend products that are both reliable, available across 90% of countries, and not just focused to the super-high-end-enthusiast (eg. Evga Motherboards), but definitely focused on gamers in general. So, below I'll list a bunch of manufacturers for all the different components, and I want others to tell me what they think of it so far:

CPU : Intel, AMD
    Mobo : ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock
    RAM : Corsair, G.Skill, Samsung (are others really necessary? I would suggest Mushkin but they are no where in Australia)
    GPU : Gigabyte, ASUS, Evga, MSI (best cards), HIS, Zotac, XFX, Sapphire (other good cards)
    PSU : Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (best), Antec, Silverstone, Cooler Master, OCZ, Rosewill (other good ones).
    Air CPU Coolers : Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Noctua (I've course there are others, but these are the best for the intended price points)
    Water CPU Coolers : NZXT, Corsair (I haven't heard much about the others, but these are the best as far as I know)
    Cases : So much choices...... NZXT, Corsair, Antec, Bitfenix, Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Silverstone probably the best choices.
    SSD : Samsung (#1 choice right now, no reason to get any others, unless your running a server, then Intel has something like 0.01% more reliability)
    HDD : Western Digital, Seagate

EDIT: I edited the OP, and now its got a little write up for the GPU.

Opinions so far?
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 24, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Kingston make some decent RAM, and Palit make perfectly good GPUs.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Building a PC for Rome 2 tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    I was talking about the Enthusiast chip set, and not necessarily for gaming PCs. Obviously no one will need a 2011 chip set for gaming, it's primarily for the ultra-high end demanding programs, like video rendering, 2D art and 3D art (but only for people that are very serious about it). So yeah, a system costing 3k will not be gaming system, but a business/media one. I didn't recommend it for gaming at any point.

Everyone should be getting the 1155 chip set, and look no further than the 3570K, best CPU on the market, period (not in everyone's budget though). i7s are for multimedia purposes too, not for gaming, but I guess you already know this, so I'm wasting my breath
    I'm no hardware expert but I think some of your statements like this are not really very helpful for computer shoppers.

People should be made to clearly understand that a new generation (called Haswell) of Intel CPU's is going to be released this June (rumored 2 June) which is only a few months away, and a full four months ahead of Rome II's release date. People who intend to purchase new hardware for Rome II therefore should not be getting the current Ivy Bridge CPU with the 1155 socket.

Unless they prefer an AMD CPU, they should be waiting until June and then getting an Intel i5-4570K or the more expensive i7-4770K CPU. These forthcoming processors will run on a 1150 socket, which means the current generation socket 1155 socket motherboards or other motherboards will not work and they need to buy a new z87 Lynx Point chipset motherboard.

Although we don't know exactly how good these new CPUs will be, they are expected to be more powerful than the current Ivy Bridge generation Intel Processors. They are also expected to be more energy efficient. They will almost certainly be priced in the same range as the current generation CPUs. Do not expect the current generation Intel CPU's to drop much in price, even after the Haswell CPU's are released.

Therefore, if you are going to buy/build a new computer for Rome II, and you prefer Intel for Total War, like most of us here, it makes sense to WAIT until June at the earliest to do your build.

If you wait a little bit longer you may even get to add a next-generation Nvidia graphics card to your build.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 24, 2013 at 08:57 AM.

@ Murfmurf - Sure Kingston is an option for RAM, and Palit is a GPU option too

@ Huberto - You don't need to underline stuff to make it stick out Intel's Haswell will only offer 7% performance increase over Ivy Bridge according to Anandtech's recent review on it, so not exactly something you need to wait for. Concerning the energy saving nature of Haswell, I'd expect it to not over clock as well as an Ivy Bridge (just like Sandy Bridge could OC better than Ivy Bridge), so if I'm right on this then there is nothing wrong with getting an Ivy Bridge. Again, this is called building a PC in anticipation for Rome 2, and I'm one of those guys that can't wait to build his PC for Rome 2. And I am aware than Intel will not drop their prices, they never have and never will, they have a tight choke on that.

But why are you suggesting Nvidia? AMD is currently the king of the castle, maybe not king of highest throne (Titan owns that), but their $300-$400 cards can beat Nvidia almost all the time in gaming.

So yeah. Haswell is designed for the mobile platform primarily, but has taken over those advantages to the desktop ie. more efficient power usage, less power usage, better integrated graphics. It also gives Intel the chance to upgrade their existing desktop platforms for new technologies coming in, because it would be strange to see Intel laptop with more advanced features than their desktops, no?

EDIT: Also, with Ivy Bridge currently at the end of its road, all the hardware developers have finished developing what they have for it, so what is available right now, is all there will be, no need to worry about any upcoming new motherboards to wait on, or RAM specifically engineered for the 7ZZ platform. But then if you get the upcoming Z87, your getting the very beginning of that market, something that will develop for a lot longer. In my opinion, I would go Z77 over Z87 for this year.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 24, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

@ Huberto - You don't need to underline stuff to make it stick out Intel's Haswell will only offer 7% performance increase over Ivy Bridge according to Anandtech's recent review on it, so not exactly something you need to wait for. Concerning the energy saving nature of Haswell, I'd expect it to not over clock as well as an Ivy Bridge (just like Sandy Bridge could OC better than Ivy Bridge), so if I'm right on this then there is nothing wrong with getting an Ivy Bridge. Again, this is called building a PC in anticipation for Rome 2, and I'm one of those guys that can't wait to build his PC for Rome 2. And I am aware than Intel will not drop their prices, they never have and never will, they have a tight choke on that.

But why are you suggesting Nvidia? AMD is currently the king of the castle, maybe not king of highest throne (Titan owns that), but their $300-$400 cards can beat Nvidia almost all the time in gaming.

So yeah. Haswell is designed for the mobile platform primarily, but has taken over those advantages to the desktop ie. more efficient power usage, less power usage, better integrated graphics. It also gives Intel the chance to upgrade their existing desktop platforms for new technologies coming in, because it would be strange to see Intel laptop with more advanced features than their desktops, no?
    I wouldn't encourage people to make a potential mistake because you "can't wait." Obviously, you can build your pc any way you want at any time you want. It's doing members here a disservice not to emphasize the fact that if they only wait a few months they stand to get a better performing rig.

I seriously doubt that Haswell is going to take Intel CPUs backwards in performance. The only serious question to consider here is whether Haswell will justifies an upgrade for people who have Sandybridge or earlier. But if people want a new computer for Rome II, it makes no sense not to wait until June -- unless they are boycotting Intel.

IMO it's silly to make gross generalizations about Nvidia v. Radeon video cards as you have. The reason I mentioned Nvidia is because AMD has already said they're not going to put out 8000 series cards this year. Nvidia may well release 700s the second half of this year.

@ Murfmurf - Sure Kingston is an option for RAM, and Palit is a GPU option too

EDIT: Also, with Ivy Bridge currently at the end of its road, all the hardware developers have finished developing what they have for it, so what is available right now, is all there will be, no need to worry about any upcoming new motherboards to wait on, or RAM specifically engineered for the 7ZZ platform. But then if you get the upcoming Z87, your getting the very beginning of that market, something that will develop for a lot longer. In my opinion, I would go Z77 over Z87 for this year.
    quite simply put if you can wait till haswell, wait.

and Amd isnt king of the cattle. depends on the game, total wars run better on nvidia as it stands.

remember faster isnt always better and that goes for cheaper as well! quite a few people and they are mostly AMD owners will say things like you'd have to be stupid not to get a 7950 when it's say faster than a 670 and cheaper. it might appear simple logic but to those in the know cheaper+faster doesnt necessarily mean better minimum and average framerates.

that said i really must try out a new amd card soon to see how they are, as it stands still good with my 580 till next launch.

Crazeyesreaper is probably the guy to ask though as he has tested both amd+nvidia recently in re total wars. he's on hols atm. i think actually he is now on nvidia which he prefers...
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 24, 2013 at 09:25 AM.

Biggest drawback of current gen Nvidias is the default VRAM size. Even GTX670 and GTX680 only come with 2GB. Already then I was running a 1920 display, I exceeded 2GB in Skyrim with HD mods and some AA relatively easily. Now that I am running 2560 with 2x7970 VRAM usage often exceeds 3GB. And Nvidia has kinda acknowledged that potential bottleneck since they gave their Titan 6GB VRAM.

Apart from that Nvidia seems to handle AA better in Shogun 2. In the benches I have seen AMD leads without AA but gets a big performance hit with AA enabled and Nvidia takes the lead. From personal experience I can also say that I had on average less problems with Nvidia drivers. But if you have a favorite game, you always have to check with AMD and Nvidia for potential driver problems. Regarding Shogun 2 especially, both have a history of big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Biggest drawback of current gen Nvidias is the default VRAM size. Even GTX670 and GTX680 only come with 2GB. Already then I was running a 1920 display, I exceeded 2GB in Skyrim with HD mods and some AA relatively easily. Now that I am running 2560 with 2x7970 VRAM usage often exceeds 3GB. And Nvidia has kinda acknowledged that potential bottleneck since they gave their Titan 6GB VRAM.

Apart from that Nvidia seems to handle AA better in Shogun 2. In the benches I have seen AMD leads without AA but gets a big performance hit with AA enabled and Nvidia takes the lead. From personal experience I can also say that I had on average less problems with Nvidia drivers. But if you have a favorite game, you always have to check with AMD and Nvidia for potential driver problems. Regarding Shogun 2 especially, both have a history of big problems.
    @1920x1200 I dont see 2gb vram an issue at all. I ran skyrim with several mods no issue. (enb texture mods).

that said it is possible to exceed 2gb if you go a bit mod crazy, but that's one game so far I can tell.

the vram thing is a bit of an exageration and overly blown out of proportion atm. with 1.5gb vram i have not once had an issue with any game with 4xaa @1920x1200. that said i'll be looking at min 3gb for my next card.

and Amd isnt king of the cattle. depends on the game, total wars run better on nvidia as it stands.
    As far as I know, they both perform good, but Nvidia is a fare bit better with the 660 Ti and 670 compared to the 7950 and 7970. This difference wouldn't be noticeable anyway if you had a decent processor, which is what Shogun 2 puts all the stress on. Definitely try out a 7970 or 7950 for your next card though, it must be recommended over the 660 Ti's and 670's for a reason on just about every website

As far as I know, they both perform good, but Nvidia is a fare bit better with the 660 Ti and 670 compared to the 7950 and 7970. This difference wouldn't be noticeable anyway if you had a decent processor, which is what Shogun 2 puts all the stress on. Definitely try out a 7970 or 7950 for your next card though, it must be recommended over the 660 Ti's and 670's for a reason on just about every website
    if u can wait again wait. new cards or revisions will be out in summer i think.

nothing wrong with either brand really....atm i personally go for nvidia and would again because of the free in-game currency for world of tanks. (plus i have had less niggles over the yrs with nvidia..really if i had to count on hand it would be around 2 wheras i'd say with amd up to around 10, mainly though when catalyst wouldnt install right and I had xfire issues).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 25, 2013 at 07:05 AM.

I hope i can recieve some info from you experts

I just upgraded my rig with a new GPU. The rig is 1½ year old so most of the hardware is pretty new. I hope to be able to max out Rome 2 with most of the settings. Can someone give their opinions?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 OC - 2 GB GDDR5
    Intel Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4)Vengeance
    Corsair Gaming Series GS600
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 1.0)

@Raftermandk
    Should be fine.

Do you use a SSD for the OS btw? If not, you might want to add a cheap small SSD for the SSD caching feature of the Z68 chipset. I use that myself to accelerate my 1TB main HD and it works great.

Hi Barbarian.

I have a OCZ Vertex 2 Series - SSD 120 GB as my only HDD.

How exctaly does it work? Do you have your games on the 1TB HD then?