View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%
Page 1 of 182 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Icon1 Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?678089
    come here to the Attila TW forum for advice unless it specifically regards Rome2
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; January 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Adreno's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Building a PC for Rome 2 tutorial

there already is a special forum section for this

I will be getting a new pc prior to the release of Rome 2. A youtube video detailing the best builds at around the £800 mark would be useful for me. Don't mind reading either but youtube videos tend to be more engaging.

Overall, I will be looking in here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...8-The-Basement

For advice. Also, seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjxMG4OLdE

The guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Maybe this thread should be moved to that forum then, but I thought I need to catch the attention of an audience outside of that forum, and more to the general public.

@ Numidian Mercenary - that guy on YouTube is fairly knowledgeable, but there are a few things that I would call him wrong on/think is un-unnecessary. He also doesn't give much of an option, and the graphics card he chose IS NOT the best bang for the buck, no way. Also, that video if 4 months old, and believe it or not, but a fair bit has changed since then
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 11, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Maleventum's Avatar Decanus

We should wait for the official requirements before to buy a new computer............

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Maybe this thread should be moved to that forum then, but I thought I need to catch the attention of an audience outside of that forum, and more to the general public.

@ Numidian Mercenary - that buy on YouTube is fairly knowledgeable, but there are a few things that I would call him wrong on/think is un-unnecessary. He also doesn't give much of an option, and the graphics card he chose IS NOT the best bang for the buck, no way. Also, that video if 4 months old, and believe it or not, but a fair bit has changed since then
    Haha, sure. However, to be frank, I wont be building a gaming pc until the end of summer 2013 at the earliest. So recommendations timed around then will be most useful for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleventum View Post
    We should wait for the official requirements before to buy a new computer............
    They already did say that the minimum is the same as Shogun 2, and that's all we need to know, the ABSOLUTE minimum to run it at

Quote Originally Posted by Numidian Mercenary View Post
    Haha, sure. However, to be frank, I wont be building a gaming pc until the end of summer 2013 at the earliest. So recommendations timed around then will be most useful for me personally.
    Well I'll be happy to continuously update my videos and information. Would be nice to see how much has changed in that time. Also, I'm in Australia, and our Summer just ended I guess America's summer is 6 months away.

Hey there guys,

I've done a tone of research into computers, all the different components and what all the specs actually mean. I was wondering if people would like me to compile some tutorials on quickly understanding what all these parts do, how to choose ones right for what you do (and to play Rome 2 at the best you can with the budget you have), and how to build your PC.

Would people be interested in me doing this? I'm fairly confident that you can play Rome 2 on medium settings with a PC under $600, and I help you pick the components of a PC anywhere from this price range, all the way up to extreme-enthusiast price range of $3000 + depending on your budget.

I know what specs will be needed because CA said that their minimum requirements will be the same as Shogun 2, but the max settings will be more demanding.

One more thing to say before you give your answer to my question; DO NOT BUY A PRE-BUILT PC! They are generally over priced for their parts (I promise you can make the same system with half the cash). DO NOT buy "high quality" pre-built PCs either, like Alienware, because all that pricing is pretty much for the custom case alone, it is far too expensive and you can get higher quality cases for half the money. It's just the branding, it's like buying some cheap sunglasses for $20, but as soon as you smack an Oakley label on it, the price changes to $200.

Ok, so tell me if you guys would be interested in this. Building your own PC is very fun too, because it's 100% your own, and you know the system like the back of your hand.

Also, would people prefer these tutorials as written posts, or as YouTube videos?

I've got a poll up.
    I'm sorry but since you're from South Australia, and affirming certain SA stereotypes, I thought I'd help you out and point out that:

1) Americans say ton, we say tonne. No one says tone
    2) The coloured-clicky-choice graph is a Poll, not a person who hails from Poland - a Pole, as your reason for edit says

Couldn't help myself.
    Perhaps this is the Sydney way of saying G'day.
    How Australian, right? OK, I'll pack my bags then....
    Germany? Any room for a grammar Nazi?
    Last edited by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠; March 11, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Just a couple of typos, thanks for pointing them out.

PS. In regards of PC components evolution from now until the release of Rome 2, there will be a few things that will not change in performance, but might only get a little cheaper, like graphics cards, hard drives (SSDs are going to quickly take over in the next few years). Intel and AMD will be releasing a new chip set soon enough, but those CPUs will offer only a small difference to Desktops, and are mainly focused on mobile platforms. Intel is also going to release their next enthusiast CPU set sometime this year (apparently Q3), but people should only consider waiting for this chip set if they're prepared to spend $3000 minimum on their PC.

EDIT: So far there seems to be more interest in written form of these tutorials, but I suppose only 5 people have voted at the moment.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 11, 2013 at 07:33 AM.

Adreno's Avatar Senator

but people should only consider waiting for this chip set if they're prepared to spend $3000 minimum on their PC.
    Ehh 3k? the replacement for the now popular cpus will pretty much cost almost the same as the old ones, as they always do, hell its usually the outdated and older ones that are more expensive, 3570k's are cheaper than 2500k's right now.. a good gaming computer never has to cost more than 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Adreno View Post
    Ehh 3k? the replacement for the now popular cpus will pretty much cost almost the same as the old ones, as they always do, hell its usually the outdated and older ones that are more expensive, 3570k's are cheaper than 2500k's right now.. a good gaming computer never has to cost more than 1200
    I was talking about the Enthusiast chip set, and not necessarily for gaming PCs. Obviously no one will need a 2011 chip set for gaming, it's primarily for the ultra-high end demanding programs, like video rendering, 2D art and 3D art (but only for people that are very serious about it). So yeah, a system costing 3k will not be gaming system, but a business/media one. I didn't recommend it for gaming at any point.

Everyone should be getting the 1155 chip set, and look no further than the 3570K, best CPU on the market, period (not in everyone's budget though). i7s are for multimedia purposes too, not for gaming, but I guess you already know this, so I'm wasting my breath
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 11, 2013 at 07:57 AM.

This would be great, I've been thinking about building my own but tbh I have no idea what I'm doing. It would be good to get an expert opinion!
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Thanks for showing interest tell your friends. If this gets enough demand, then I'll start it up ASAP.

I can't vote because I don't have enough posts.

I would vote for youtube videos but would also read written advice as well.

Well I'll be happy to continuously update my videos and information. Would be nice to see how much has changed in that time. Also, I'm in Australia, and our Summer just ended I guess America's summer is 6 months away.
    That would be useful. I'm British so summer is June, July, August. Rome 2 is coming out in October so I plan to time my purchases not too far before then.

Well I think these videos will still help you, because you can get a few things early (like your graphics card, power supply) whenever you see them on a good sale. That's what I would do, actually that's what I did do. I spent $500 on the first 3 parts of my PC, but they were worth $700, but I was just lucking with some deals and good timing.

Price is subject to change and differs from country to country. Parts I buy in the USA will be a lot less costly than parts bought in Germany and those will yet be a lot cheaper than parts bought in let's say Belgium.

OP is offering advice on different computer parts with an explanation of why picking on over the other or taking the best quality for its price at hand. He's not saying that you HAVE to spend 3000 dollars, nor is he saying that you have NOT to spend 3000 dollars. What he is stating though, is that one should never buy a ready-made pc. However, not only because they're overpriced, but also because they're less good. Pre-build pc's leave as good as no room for improvements or changes. Everything is puzzled in each other to their bare minimums. The PSU is often not strong enough and will fail out after a year or two. The MOBO's are usually not from a high standard and won't last that long either. Even though they might house a strong GPU, the lack of power and also cooling will often cause overheating issues or artifacts during gameplay.

It's indeed better to custom build your own pc. You can build it exactly to your own needs at the price you've chosen. If someone is willing to spend 3000 dollars on a pc, that's entirely up to their own. What is important is not the price they spend it on, but the quality vs price they get. " a good gaming pc never has to cost more than 1200.." that's all subject to opinions. A good car never has to cost more than 10 000, yet people still buy some of over 300 000$ .. It's all a matter of what you want to do with it and how long you want it to last and, moreover, how good you want it to look like.

Will that 3k pc be that much better? At current, probably no. Over time? Surely it will. Though, the good thing with a good custom-made pc is that you can always throw out some out-dated stuff, and fit some new in it without having to throw away everything (like you have to do with pre-builds).

Whether or not such a guide is a good idea? Don't know, I haven't read the guide as it's currently nonexistent. You'll have to compare AMD's vs Intels proc. and nvidia cards. It's easier to just have people come up with their preferences and price range, and give them specific advice in accordance to that. That way you don't overrun them with a flow of (redundant) information that will only confuse them.

I've build my own pc (1,600 euro's, incl. 2 screens, surely I could build that very same pc right now for nearly 400 euro's cheaper and that in a timespan of no less than 7 months - prices change, so does technology), with just the help of newegg youtube video's, a forum and some google research, it's all a matter of how much time you want to invest in it or if you just want someone to sum it up for you whilst you're playing a game at low settings on your current system.

Things like going for an i5 rather than the i7 is helpful information most people will not think of because what most people do is: i7 > i5, obviously i7 is the best. Which it isn't, not for current games..
    People stuffing 16 GB ram for the sheer numbers to boast around with, but running w7 32 bits.. stuff like that.
    Last edited by DeadlyPhoenix; March 11, 2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: i.e. ram addition

I too will most likely be upgrading my PC around the time Rome 2 comes out. I really need to upgrade to 64 bit windows as 32 bit is really dodgy when it comes to shogun 2. As you said get all the pieces individuality to save lots of money, it makes the warranty better as well. I've got a local computer shop near me that have been really good with their customer service so I'll be ordering all my parts from there. If any one has a local computer shop that isn't a mega store it would probably be better to visit that because the staff will actually know a thing or two about computers instead of people who work at places like PC world.

DeadlyPhoenix, thank you for saying that and I want this to be not more of a flexible guide line then a strict 1-option build. Many different people have different preferences, and some PC pieces run better on different games. I just want to help people build a PC for EXACTLY what they use it for, for the least amount of money needed, and without going over the board with certain things (eg. 16GB of RAM in a gaming PC, or a GTX 680 sitting in there when you could have got a 7970 for nearly half the price and out-performs it for games).

@BigHairyMelon - yes, 32-bit systems are rubbish for gaming. They restrict some of your RAM too, so you can only use a certain percent of it. Also, 64-bit windows can emulate 32-bit windows if needed, but not vice-versa.

EDIT: I would like to ask mods not to move this thread to the more necessary forum, because the point of this thread is to grab the attention of the majority, and it will not do so in the other forum.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 11, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

come to the basement if you want us to do you builds...thats exactly what's it's for.

there's also links to helpfull websites.

i would stress we need to know more from CA about optimisations to the engine. this is a bit of an unknown factor. generally speaking though shouldnt really mattter because there is always a good balanced build whatever your budget.

£1000 to play on a single screen is perfectly doable for high/ultra settings (perhaps less as you can cut costs in certain areas). a big factor is whether you need a new screen as that will eat in into your budget as I think around £200 is what's required for something quality.

@ Totalheadache - these tutorials are going to be aimed at the majority of the community, not the ones that regularly visit the basement forums. It's going to be aimed at people that are totally clueless on their PC and are not confident building their own PC. But I also want it to be aimed at a more knowledgeable audience on this matter too. I also want to enlighten people on all the specs of a PCs components, and show that higher Mhz/Ghz is not always better, and how to build a perfect system without over spending or "bottle necking" any of your components.

A new quality monitor definitely shouldn't cost 200 pounds. In Australia a really good monitor cost about $160, in USA it's about $140, so I doubt you will need 200 pounds in the UK for a quality monitor.

So far there have been 27 votes; 6 don't really care about this, 11 want it in written form, 10 want it in youtube videos.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 11, 2013 at 07:31 PM.