Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: !!! 3.5 Open Beta - Released !!!

Default Re: !!! 3.5 Open Beta - Released !!!

Can someone help me install 3.5? I downloaded the ZOR and subs power launcher. I ran the subs power launcher setup and unzipped the ZOR file. Whenever I try to select ZOR submod on the acw launcher, it says "mod is not yet available." Is there supposed to be a launcher for the ZOR, because I don't see anything like that in the file folder?

This may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between this open beta 3.5, and the 4.0 version? Why is 3.5 the newer version? This is the most up to date one, right?

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by johnhudd View Post
    I ran the subs power launcher setup and unzipped the ZOR file. Whenever I try to select ZOR submod on the acw launcher, it says "mod is not yet available."
    You need to launch the "setup.exe" file located inside the ZOR folder you unzipped in order to install ZOR in the ACW/SubMods folder.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between this open beta 3.5, and the 4.0 version? Why is 3.5 the newer version? This is the most up to date one, right?
    You indeed are right to be confused.. well the issue is that the 4.1 is the last official announced Update of This Mod after this shokh and the other members of the team left the mod as it was. But Minas and Chief made submods one of this submods was/is ZOR and the last version of ZOR is 3.5 so it is a submod still. Even if it easily could be the new 5.0 version of the main mod it still is getting installed as a submod so that should answer your question.. a bit at least!

There is no setup exe file in the ZOR folder. Do I need the last full update of the ZOR, because the 3.5 is just adding stuff to it? Sorry, I don't understand a lot about modding and submods.

yes you need to download the 3.5 version of zor not older versions

No, I mean do I need the 4.0 version, which is the last full update, I think? The 3.5 doesn't have any setup.exe. The only files in the folder are .pack files and an RTI and Warpath file. The older 4.0 has a setup, but not the 3.5. how do I make sure I am running the 3.5 and not just the 4.0? Do I need to put the 3.5 files somewhere?

You need 4.0 you need 4.1 and you need Sub Powers and after installing all that you may coppy the ZOR files as said in the install instructions!

People need to read again !

Hey guys, just wanted to say that y'all did a great job with this update! The AI seems much smarter, i'm loving the new units, and the game seems to run alot smoother. Very glad that you guys decided to continue making this mod! I've always wished that they would make a Civil War total war game, but with you guys I guess they really don't have a need to! Also way less crashes and bugs in this update. Once again, great job!

A couple of questions. First, I'm having an issue playing the acw mod. Whenever I try to start a custom battle or continue a campaign, it stops working and closes. It worked earlier. I know you need the warpath map to play the new campaign, and I disabled the ZOR before I tried to continue campaign. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the acw mod. Is there anything else I can try before I reinstall empire, because it takes days for Empire to update on steam? Next, I want to play the new campaign for acw, but I don't have the warpath map. Do I need to buy the entire warpath campaign on Steam, which is $10, or can I buy the map separately? If I can, then where can I find it, because I didn't see it on Steam?

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

@ OP, what steamship did you base the ingame steamship off of?

Also are you using the campaign map from ETW or the Warpath map?

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

the steamship is vanilla steamship model with different weaponry. that is the course we will take with future additions of the steamships...
    Currently we support only the Warpath map, but I'll do the RTI3 map also...

Patrician

Nice, I was hoping it was for Warpath

Also a long time ago i made an ironclad model to be used on the campaign map to replace the sail boat. I dont believe they ever actually used it. I can upload it for you guys if your interested, heres the post about it...

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Hey guys i decided to make a low poly version of the CSS Virginia to be used as a campaign map model, check it out...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Let me know if you want to use it, its about 1100 polys (which is about the same as the current campaign map model at this point) but its not quite done yet as it also needs to be UV mapped.
    Last edited by B-DizL; March 29, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

@B-Dizl
    well we would be interested... but I'm not sure if we can change even the campaign model of the ships. plus, the css virginia would fit only for cs, us would have to have some type of monitor vessel. also, I think that better course is to take a current campaign map ship model and retexture it to more ironclad appearance as such could be used by all the factions...

Patrician

The campaign map model should be able to be changed as we have been able to do it in NTW. Its understandable not wanting the Virginia to represent the fleets of the north however i dont think there is a way to have 2 different models based on which faction you play as. In the Great War Mod we have made the HMS Dreadnought as the default campaign map model for fleets even though it is only a British design because in the end it is still better to see a ship of that era instead of a sail boat on the campaign map.

Let me know if you decide to use it and I'll get it UV mapped and game ready. Also if a way is ever found to have 2 different ships on the campaign map i can always make the USS Monitor which is about ten times easier to make than the Virginia.

The campaign map model should be able to be changed as we have been able to do it in NTW. Its understandable not wanting the Virginia to represent the fleets of the north however i dont think there is a way to have 2 different models based on which faction you play as. In the Great War Mod we have made the HMS Dreadnought as the default campaign map model for fleets even though it is only a British design because in the end it is still better to see a ship of that era instead of a sail boat on the campaign map.

Let me know if you decide to use it and I'll get it UV mapped and game ready. Also if a way is ever found to have 2 different ships on the campaign map i can always make the USS Monitor which is about ten times easier to make than the Virginia.
    Haha your jokes are quit good Editing Campaign Map. You can edit it a bit thats true but no regions nor citys nor anything usefull can be added proov me wrong but i guess you just don't know enoght no offense but hopes like this are anyoing because since 2009 we know its not possible if it would be possible in a good way someone would allready done new regions citys and so on.

we would be more interested in the Ironclad Surface ship of the era (like french La Gloire and British counterpart), or a side-wheel steamer... It would be (at least to me) very wierd seeing the ironclads (as virginia and monitor) going over the "deep sea" (as they were mainly coastal vessels) and even more weird would be to see nations like mexico, haiti and vanezuela to sail them...

@[NC] I think you completely missed the point of B-Dizl intention and work, and as such I find your comment out of place and not necessary.

However, if you close in with the enemy, or manage to attack him from the flank, smooth-bores will prove as an extremely deadly weapon because of their faster reloading time and bigger calibre bullet.
    My understanding is that with Minič style ammunition reloading time would be about the same of smoothbore muskets, as the bullets relied on expansion to engage the rifling instead of patching and being a tight fit. The only technical advantage left to smoothbores would be buck and ball at short ranges, but the terminal effect of the new bullets was nothing to sneeze at. So the only advantage should be extra lethality at short ranges but no faster ROF, if I did not miss anything; I will look for references if people are interested.

we would be more interested in the Ironclad Surface ship of the era (like french La Gloire and British counterpart), or a side-wheel steamer...
    Side-wheelers were on their way out as surface warships in the 1860s, though they were still used. For ocean going work the USA and CSA resorted mostly to wooden screw warships armed with few large pivot guns and conventional broaside guns, think CSS Alabama and USS Kearsage.
    Last edited by marcello; March 31, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

the reloading time of the smooth-bore would be slightly faster back then. considering the fact that after few shots fired, fouling of the smooth-bore-barrel would not affect the possibility to reload the gun as much as possible fouling of rifled weapon (though decreased significantly by 1855, fouling still good be a problem especially if weapon wasn't properly maintained). however, you are correct that historically, both types of ammunition needed approximately the same time to reload... that being said, there is something called game-mechanics we have to consider also. if we indeed keep everything 100% historically accurate then player or AI when facing the smooth-bore unit would have too much of an advantage. that is why generally smooth-bore units have higher morale (to get in close), slightly faster reloading speed (to be able to put as many bullets as possible) and virtually no value in maximum range combat. That is why you should use such units as ambush force where hit of their bullet (which is bigger and does more damage) will really come into play. or use ravines etc to shield their movement and then release them on the enemy.

game-play wise, players will experience probably more problems caused by mismanagement of their Minie equipped troops than smooth-bores as they will (hopefully) take in account warnings that we have given. if not, they'll learn it the hard way.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by [NC]Master View Post
    Haha your jokes are quit good Editing Campaign Map. You can edit it a bit thats true but no regions nor citys nor anything usefull can be added proov me wrong but i guess you just don't know enoght no offense but hopes like this are anyoing because since 2009 we know its not possible if it would be possible in a good way someone would allready done new regions citys and so on.
    Not the campaign map, the campaign map models and yes they are editable as the original Blue and Grey team have already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    we would be more interested in the Ironclad Surface ship of the era (like french La Gloire and British counterpart), or a side-wheel steamer... It would be (at least to me) very wierd seeing the ironclads (as virginia and monitor) going over the "deep sea" (as they were mainly coastal vessels) and even more weird would be to see nations like mexico, haiti and vanezuela to sail them...

@[NC] I think you completely missed the point of B-Dizl intention and work, and as such I find your comment out of place and not necessary.
    Ok fair enough.