Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Vikings - New History Series

Here's something my roommate questions, how do they not know the existence of England?

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Here's something my roommate questions, how do they not know the existence of England?
    They were traders so I am sure they came into contact with people coming up through Denmark who would have obviously been aware of further lands to the west and across the sea from France.

No one has answered my question on how long it would have taken to sail from Norway to northumbria.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    They were traders so I am sure they came into contact with people coming up through Denmark who would have obviously been aware of further lands to the west and across the sea from France.

No one has answered my question on how long it would have taken to sail from Norway to northumbria.
    That's not the question. The question is, how did they not know the existence of England?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Just too good. The beach fight was bang on the money, the way it was shot, the formation calling during the battle, reforming their lines. I agree with those who've mentioned that shield wall is generally attributed to Saxon military tactics, but who's to say they didn't first see it used by a small band of Vikings with a very astute leader. It's a small point either way.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Are we sure Eric is dead? He's listed as being in the next episode, maybe a ghost.. Sad to see him killed, though agree with EE's point, no one is safe bar Ragnar.

Sailing times are estimated at 2-4 days dependent on weather/winds and where exactly they were going to. Vikings preferred to spend as little time as possible in open water, most journeys would have been from one point to another and then along the coast until they found inlets to sail inland. I think the show keeps pretty much to schedule in that regard..

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    That's not the question. The question is, how did they not know the existence of England?
    How did nobody in Europe know the existence of three more continents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Episode 4 is by far the best one!

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

The last episode was great! Loved it! Can anyone explain why, when the chieftains wife, and himself were about to "get it on" why they stopped? Is it because the child the chieftain lost or do you think it could be something else?

That tavernkeeper, the one with the blonde hair is the most epic of them all. If I saw their warband I would immediately believe he was their commander.
    Last edited by The Norseman; March 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

only good thing gustav skarsgård has ever done...

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    The last episode was great! Loved it! Can anyone explain why, when the chieftains wife, and himself were about to "get it on" why they stopped? Is it because the child the chieftain lost or do you think it could be something else?

That tavernkeeper, the one with the blonde hair is the most epic of them all. If I saw their warband I would immediately believe he was their commander.
    The way I interpreted it was that he is "impotent" in his old age. In ep4 he also mentioned how his sons are already dead and the whole thing with marrying off his daughter seems to indicate he is very worried about his heir, or lack thereof.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post

Im under the impression he is impotent.
    In anycase good episode this last one.
    I turned my nose at the rape scene a bit but overral great episode. ragnar wil make his move soon. I find the earl a bit too much agressive for my taste, but i get it.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 20, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

I get the feeling that Ragnar is not well liked by most of the other oath men in the series, hence they are taking the Jarl's side against him.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Haraldson holds all the cards, for now. But Ragnar's popularity is growing fast. TBH though I can't see someone as well known as Gabriel Byrne being removed that easily, he's basically the only really well known actor in it. I dare say they'll be a good few twists and turns before Haraldson gets the chop..

It's a pitty that the first season has only 9 episodes, so only 5 are left. I hope they make at least 12 next year.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Yeah they usually start up slow with the amount of episodes in case the show fails. I just hope lots of people are watching this.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Loving this show, though I'm a bit bewildered by the Saxons' appearance.

Did they purposely choose skinny, under-developed ectomorphs with hardly a shade of stubble on their faces? For crying out loud, I have a deskjob, eat too unhealthy and spend way too little time exercising and I have 20 pounds of muscle (and about 40 pounds in general) on them. It makes the Viking victory rather meh, even considering they were outnumbered.
    It seems to be a rather silly trope to use muscular paragons of testosterone for one side and portray the others as wimpy, emasculated and ineffective peasants; in such a fairly down to earth series.

Maybe they were just a levy, or an unseasoned troop of fresh recruits, but then their equipment doesn't make sense from what little I know of the period.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

In case of the ratings the show will be surly get a second season. I read the show has 12 mio regular watchers which an excellent result for History.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post

Did they purposely choose skinny, under-developed ectomorphs with hardly a shade of stubble on their faces? For crying out loud, I have a deskjob, eat too unhealthy and spend way too little time exercising and I have 20 pounds of muscle (and about 40 pounds in general) on them. It makes the Viking victory rather meh, even considering they were outnumbered.
    It seems to be a rather silly trope to use muscular paragons of testosterone for one side and portray the others as wimpy, emasculated and ineffective peasants; in such a fairly down to earth series.

Maybe they were just a levy, or an unseasoned troop of fresh recruits, but then their equipment doesn't make sense from what little I know of the period.
    I think it can be reasonably assumed that they were just a local levy.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post

Yeah I found that surprising too. Anglo-Saxon warfare was little different to that of Scandinavia at the time with the shield wall being a tactic that would've been used by both sides(as was the fashion across Northern Europe at that period in time). In addition, there would've been similarities in regards to weapons, clothing and equipment. The margins between victory and defeat would've come down to whichever side contained the most skill, experience and determination.

I also found it difficult to believe that Ragnar and his compatriots didn't have any idea where England was, despite there being quite a bit of evidence for links between England and Southern Scandinavia during the early Middle Ages. But to be fair these are minor gripes - after all this is a drama series loosely based on history (a piece of entertainment) rather than a serious documentary.
    Last edited by Erebus Pasha; March 23, 2013 at 06:50 PM.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I was surprised that the levy had what looked like really good equipment, more so that the vikings apparently didn't take any of it.

It seems like the earl is going off the deep end, I'm going to guess that his demise is the season finale; still a very good episode though.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

You actually do see them taking swords and spears, or at least you see bundles of swords later on when they're presenting the loot, wouldn't be a stretch to imagine they're taking armour as well
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...