Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Vikings - New History Series

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    They spat snots and saliva into a bowl of water then passed it down for the others to use. Disgusting. The only "sources" that they did that comes from christians who wanted to paint them as savages.
    They are in the raiding era and they dont know where the **** england is? cmon. They were tradesmen that traded way farther then that before they started raiding.
    Corrupt leaders, the vikings even killed kings if they didnt do their job well, a cheiftan would have gotten raped if he acted like he does in the series.
    I mean seriously, killing a ****ing blacksmith and his right hand? That **** wouldve traveled and he would have been killed the day after.
    Who the **** is this cheftain anyway? Doesnt he answer to a moot? He acts all high and mighty like some fuedal king yet he commands a village making him a cheiftan.
    The cheiftan owns all the boats? How the **** did he manage to buy them off everyone? This isnt the ****ing fuedal age were he gets massive taxes and can treat the villagers like slaves. He doesnt seem that good of a raider either according to the series.
    Raping a blacksmiths daughter without repercussion like she were a slave? Seriously? The retard who wrote that have somehow managed to avoided the word "family-fued" in his ignorant life.
    The vikings valued honor, family and friendship above all else but if you look at this serie then you would start to think the opposite.
    The priest looked ****ing disgusting and asks people to do queer gayass **** for him. These were the wise men of the village, not some kind of ****ing clown.

That was all the logical flaws that i could think of right now, i am uncertain about that Froki, but his character seems out of place too. Building ships were a team effort done by those that were gonna sail the boat. Like when we youths in sweden fix up a boat or housecar to go on a party trip. Raiding was like partying for vikings.

ps. most of the actors are ****ing ****.
    1. Seems like a ritual, ritual cleansing and bonding.
    2. This is the beginning of the "Raiding Age".
    3. He raped the slave of Floki, not the daughter of the blacksmith.
    4. Oh yes, the friendly, glorious and honorable vikings, that's how we remember them, not as a raiding horde that raped, killed, pillaged and burned, not necessarily in that order.
    5. A seer. IIRC there weren't that many priests. For most religion was a private matter.

But please, don't stop your rant, it's amusing actually.

That said, it seems to me that the Jarl isn't accurate.
    Last edited by torongill; March 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    1. Seems like a ritual, ritual cleansing and bonding.
    2. This is the beginning of the "Raiding Age".
    3. He raped the slave of Floki, not the daughter of the blacksmith.
    4. Oh yes, the friendly, glorious and honorable vikings, that's how we remember them, not as a raiding horde that raped, killed, pillaged and burned, not necessarily in that order.
    5. A seer. IIRC there weren't that many priests. For most religion was a private matter.

But please, don't stop your rant, it's amusing actually.

That said, it seems to me that the Jarl isn't accurate.
    1. ... Yes?
    2. So they would have known where England was and their ancestors would have had gone there a number of times.
    3. You got me there.
    4. Are you really so incapable of understanding foreign cultures? I guess beta males have a hard time understanding an alpha society.
    5. That changes some things, still done without any sense of history though, just hollywood.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

I agree that the killing of the blacksmith was bad writing.
    In the first episode it is established that the leader needs unanimous consent (even the kid had a vote) to sentence someone to death. They showed the viewer that he isn't an absolute ruler. But after that he goes around and killes whoever he wants and nobody cares.

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    1. ... Yes?
    2. So they would have known where England was and their ancestors would have had gone there a number of times.
    3. You got me there.
    4. Are you really so incapable of understanding foreign cultures? I guess beta males have a hard time understanding an alpha society.
    5. That changes some things, still done without any sense of history though, just hollywood.
    4. You guess wrong. And you seem to have a hard time understanding it.
    Foreign cultures are foreign cultures, but we are all humans, slaves(or masters) of our vices, desires and dreams. King Harald died trying to crush a rebellion led by his own son. The father of king Eric the Victorious died from poisoning and I'm pretty sure there were more examples. Honor, family and friendship were valued among all societies, not just the Vikings. That's what I'm trying to tell you, there are bad apples all around.
    2. Usually when you begin to do something, you haven't already done it. Do you get it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Blacksmiths tend to hold a special position in more tribalized societies, and that's fairly clear in Celtic and Saxon lore.

IIRC, Dwarves and giants tended to create most magic items.

Last edited by Condottiere 40K; March 15, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

^ 13th Warrior is hardly a good source on Viking social life. I'd rather see some academic sources.

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    I think you're mis-interpreting here. Valuing honour, family and friendship sounds great on paper, however you have to remember the Mafia values these things too. Meaning: that alone doesn't make you a good person. In fact, I can name you many people who're all about "honour", family and so on, and yet they're the worst scum of this planet. Not saying Vikings are among those, but values such as these can be way more morally ambiguous than you might think, depending on context.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I agree killing a blacksmith would constitute a unusual step, blacksmiths being valued members of most societies of the period.

We see the troll ask the blacksmith 'what do you see' (in the flames), he replies 'I see my own death.' Then the troll begins to push the smiths head toward the flames.. We didn't actually see him killed. He might not have been killed at all, just a little crispy...

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Actually considering the situarion of hundreds of petty king in the Vestlandet at the time, that is exactly what he should be.
    Where did you think Ragnar was from? Since he was buried in Denmark i would think he might be Danish.

Its interesting that the same Ragnar also raided Paris and was given Danegeld by Carl the Bold in the 9th Century, but that will maybe happen in season 2, hehe.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

No, he conquered parts of Denmark But a few things point towards him being Norwegian in the show: 1: The raiders on Lindisfarne came from the Fjords in Hordaland. 2: Anyone who has ever been in Denmark and Norway can see that the Viking village is not Danish (There is no mountains, or any other sort of height differences whatsoever in Denmark) 3: The Swedish did hardly sail west at all, which eliminates them. 4: Lagertha, his wife was supposedly from Norway. 5 They tried to film the show in Norway before finding it cheaper in Ireland

Thus in the show Ragnar is from the fjords of Vestlandet where the original raid on Lindisfarne was launched from. Besides nationality matters little, as the states known as "Norway" "Denmark" and "Sweden" does not exist yet.

Great news though!

According to actor Clive Standen (Rollo), future seasons may feature characters such as Alfred the Great, Leif Ericson and Ivar the Boneless, as well as travels to Iceland, Russia, France and across the Atlantic.[11]

[edit]
    Last edited by Påsan; March 15, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Season five finale being the Battle of Stamford Bridge.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Did I mis Harald Hadrada?

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sweden had two major "tribes" of vikings. Dont know what their english names but the swedish ones are götar and svear. Götar being renowned tradesmen and richer then svear. Yet svear had the fiercest warriors of all the vikings by all accounts. I do not think it was highly unusual for vikings to intermingle(beowulf) with tribes though, so if Ragnar was big and fierce he may have been a svea.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Great news though!
    This series can only get better and better! Can't wait until tomorrow's episode, really anxious to see how that raid will go down.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; March 16, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Agreed, he should be a king.
    I don't care if they call him king, jarl or chieftain. I care about them portraying him as some kind of medieval king whom all were forced to obey, the Viking society was not that static and allegiance was based on gifts and respect.

Actually considering the situarion of hundreds of petty king in the Vestlandet at the time, that is exactly what he should be.
    Early Viking kings didn't rule due to some divine order. They were the first among the chieftains and could be de-throned without much ado.

Examples, please. The only thing I can think of is the Earls treatment of Ragnar. And that will bite him in his ass, obviously. Beacuse they had a code of conduct does not mean everyone followed it.
    A chieftain/king not following the code of conduct /honour within the tribe/area would causes him to lose his leadership position. Other parts of dishonourable behaviour, him murdering a smith for no apparent reason, him using his wife as some sort of prostitute.

They were senseless murderers.
    There are no evidence suggesting that this is true, modern scholars now think that it is quite the opposite and consider this is a contemporary fabrication.

Huh?
    In the series the thing is clearly controlled by the jarl, in reality one man did not control it like a modern day judge. It was a collection of lagmän and chieftain who presided over it.

Plunder were all given to the king who would then divide it among his men. It was how the bonds of loyalty worked. The earl in the show have failed to be fair and generous, which will be his downfall.
    No, the plunder was divided among the ships crew with a part sometimes given to the chieftain (who usually owned the ship and/or supplied the manpower). The lions part was given to the owner/captain of the ships. A chieftain/local king who did not come on the raid did not have any right to keep and divide the whole hoard.

Well if you want to have the fictional Ragnar Lodbrok in a TV show, might as well include his wife.

I know, I just debate the historical correctness.

I suggest you read some sagas if you go by the dilution that Vikings had some chivalic code

No, but as all de-centralized societies without a clear social contract the Vikings based their social status on honour, gifts and reputation.

ackstabbing and sneaky, resourcefulness and cleverness was very valued traits, hell Thor himself dressed up as the goddess of beauty, Freya and married a troll to get back his stolen hammer Mjølnir as a wedding gift (and then proceeded to kill everyone at the wedding)
    I agree, this is precisely my point. The Vikings valued resourcefulness and cunning, however they did not look to kindly on it being used to further ones goals within the tribe and the Vikings legal system made this more or less impossible since doing that would get you challenged to a fight. Using it against enemies however was deemed useful and would give you respect.
    Last edited by Cyrus Da Great; March 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

I thought there would be a new episode tonight but it seems they are simply doing a re-run of the second episode.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    I thought there would be a new episode tonight but it seems they are simply doing a re-run of the second episode.
    Nope this is the third episode.

I agree with Poosan all the way! I am also looking forward to future seasons as this is the only show on history channel worth watching. Everything else is low culture

Very captivating episode.

Nice flow of events,no rushing

Ragnar for earl!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

So there is an episode. Nice!

I will watch it over dinner later tonight

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Nope this is the third episode.

I agree with Poosan all the way! I am also looking forward to future seasons as this is the only show on history channel worth watching. Everything else is low culture
    Yep, my cable provider lied to be. Still a re-run though. Saw episode 3 last week.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Yep, my cable provider lied to be. Still a re-run though. Saw episode 3 last week.
    Nope it isn't. You saw episode 3 on the internet not on TV. It was the first time it appeared on tv, thus it is not a re-run