Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637385378 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Vikings - New History Series

Sorry

Ragnar is crazy...Lagertha is way more beautiful and sexy compared to Aslaug.

Series looks good but disappointed with History channel this channel is about history and documentary. Now is turn to reality Tv show and some series. It will be ok after the series there will be some FAQs about the viking like what do they wear, religion, tactics and etc.

Indefinitely Banned

We watch it on RTE2 HD over here in Ireland and it seems like a drama more than a history show.

At least the series is about history.

Is MTV still about music?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lol is there anyone still, in this day and age that cares about TV channels, or watch TV?
    I thought by now everyone would watch what they realy want, when they want. If you dont, you are doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Carswell View Post
    Ragnar is crazy...Lagertha is way more beautiful and sexy compared to Aslaug.
    Not only is Katheryn Winnick one of the world's most beautiful women, her strength and acting really make the show excellent. But this is following history which is why the show's great. Read up on Lagertha and her ultimate loyalty to Ragnar Lothbrok, and I think every historian is hoping to see that happen on the screen. Which would make her love for him all the more poignant. The only problem is I believe they're meddling with the story because I don't think the divorce happens this soon. Maybe they get back together because something happens or there's a twist in Aslaug's allegiance. There's probably lots of versions of this Viking saga so without reading several I have no idea what's going to happen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha

Can you imagine loving someone even after they divorced you for a younger woman and royalty so a title claim and then doing what she did to help Ragnar? Now that's heroic and noble.

Tiny spoiler
    A third woman enters the picture to make it even more complicated. Ragnar got around to spread his seed! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thora_Town-Hart http://books.google.com/books?id=Mmw...rhjort&f=false In this version of the Saga, Thora Borgrhjort is his FIRST wife. In other's she's his second wife with Aslaug his third.

Major Spoilers
    A whole ebook on Ragnar and his lineage. Lagertha rescues Ragnar at a critical juncture with a mighty fleet of ships, so we haven't seen the last of her at all. http://books.google.com/books?id=7f8...thbrok&f=false
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 04, 2014 at 04:36 AM.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by gyabo View Post
    Series looks good but disappointed with History channel this channel is about history and documentary. Now is turn to reality Tv show and some series. It will be ok after the series there will be some FAQs about the viking like what do they wear, religion, tactics and etc.
    The idea, which I think is a good one, is to use the dramatized version of events to get people interested in the actual events. The drama covers the main bullet points with enough action and drama to keep people interested and the hope is that they'll dual screen during the show or do follow up research. And then money is, History channel ups it's viewership, increases the possibility of keeping those viewers for follow up historical videos and content, all of which means more $$$.

There's a real trend now for historical dramas. Rome was proof of concept and since then we've had Tudors, Brogias, Reign, White Queen, etc etc.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Ugh Reign sucks ass. Rome is extraordinary. Borgias middling but Holliday Grainger is smokin' hot. White Queen was worth seeing mostly.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    The idea, which I think is a good one, is to use the dramatized version of events to get people interested in the actual events. The drama covers the main bullet points with enough action and drama to keep people interested and the hope is that they'll dual screen during the show or do follow up research. And then money is, History channel ups it's viewership, increases the possibility of keeping those viewers for follow up historical videos and content, all of which means more $$$.

There's a real trend now for historical dramas. Rome was proof of concept and since then we've had Tudors, Brogias, Reign, White Queen, etc etc.
    Don't forget pseudo-historical dramas as well. Spartacus, Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, hell even Game of Thrones is based (partially) on history.

Tis a shame that Rome only got 2 seasons though.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Pillars of the Earth, Copper, Hell on Wheels, Deadwood, the list goes on.

The thing is, who knows who these shows will spark the interest in to attempt to learn more about the era.

Vikings would make good content for a pop-up video. Having historical notes pop up as the show plays. Not on the first playing of course, but between seasons.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

1066 The battle for middle earth..
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329539/

Great docudrama..

The Devil's Whore' was pretty good too..
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1050057/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1050057/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Hey this was a new one. Hadn't heard of it, plus it has several highly rated actors including Fassbender. I'll definitely watch this.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

For anyone who is interested.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Looks like its going to be a battle-ritch season

Good. There have not been a good historical action series since Spartacus ended.

Blog Entries

Take note GoT, take note...

TheBlackTower's Avatar Tiro

Today I watch the first episode of "Vikings" along side with the first episode of "Black Sails", both are pirate story, but they are never like "Spartacus", "Game Of Throne", and my most favourite "Da-Vinci's Demons".

IMDB are very weird, it show "Reign" as equal to "Game Of Throne" and that something is not even close, so are those two series Good or not

1066 The battle for middle earth..
    Great docudrama..
    “History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.”

Blog Entries

Best way to find out is to watch them and make up your own mind..

I like both Pillars of Earth that someone mentioned and World without End they are really underrated, but you can find them on netflix still. Especially if you have not read the books they are worth checking out as they have some great performances in them.

Of course if you are like Pasan, etc. and don't care about anything but the "BATTLEZ!!!" or think Spartacus was the best historical drama ever made they will not appeal to you at all as they only have a few actionzzzz scenez.

Back on topic, I actually like Vikings regardless of the action which doesn't really seem all that ramped up from last season and I think some of you are going to be disappointed if that is all you are watching for. I can't imagine the kind of shows some of you would produce if you had your way, battle scenes are fine but without context and caring about the characters involved I really haven't seen the point of watching something for the "action" since I was about 10.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Accusing me for being one-dimensional action junkie with bad English is rather rich, considering the sheer breadth of shows I watch. Which of course you would know absolutely nothing about by casually scrolling my posts and making erroneous assumptions based on my opinions in a few threads. I suggest being a bit more careful with pointing fingers in the future.

Personally I think the best made Historical Drama on TV is Downton Abbey. Both in terms of consistent quality, acting and accuracy, closely followed by Rome which I also immensely enjoyed. Compared to them, Pillars of the earth and its sequel are not underrated, they are just bad. I would not waste my time.

Of the current bunch on TV, I feel Game of Thrones is the best due to its sheer ambition in size and quality actors, although the series does make mistakes. However Vikings is better in the action department but lack the story that made Spartacus so exiting. Black Sails sadly lags behind on both accounts lacking both exiting drama and any particularly enthralling action (so far)
    Last edited by Påsan; March 04, 2014 at 09:45 PM.