Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 436883848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1942

Thread: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Vikings (Season 5 Trailer)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Why is the Bishop guy Atheist? Nothing in the show so far has made me think that he was secretly Atheist.
    What I meant is that his religiosity is clearly developed from a modern atheist point of view. It is not convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The helmets which the Saxons wear are not the Italian Morion, everyone has been saying that since season 1 for some reason. They are actual helmets used during that time.

Here are some Frankish troops wearing the "Morion".
    The show helmets do not look like Carolingians helmets.

I made a mistake when I said Morion. It is more exactly Burgonnet Helmet like this one :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Good for Rocroi but terrible for Wessex.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Not sure what you mean by that. It just seems to me like he is religious but is also "prone to sin".

The Burgonet was probably something that they got off of another set. Maybe from the Borgias or something like that. I mean realistically they also would have used a lot of mail and Spangenhelm, so would the vikings, but they don't have the budget for it or whatever.
    I don't get why the Saxons and the Norse wear the same clothes either, their clothing would also be pretty different at least until the Danelaw when the vikings began to adopt certain Saxon things.

I personally don't have an issue with the anachronistic Burgonet because there did exist some of those Spangenhelm that were modified to have the rim like the Frankish helmet on the front and then the face guards on the side. It would have looked remarkably similar to the Burgonet with the key difference being the very specific round shape and the neck guard at the back particular to the Burgonet.

Few complaints: Why do they call the Byzantine Empire the "Holy Roman Empire"?
    Ziyadat Allah did not rule in Cairo, he ruled in Tunis.

Something which was only made possible by the decline of both the Umayyad Caliphate and the Abbasid Caliphate and the subsequent power vacuum in Africa. The Abbasids were not in a position to push west where as the Umayyads were busy trying to control Iberia (most of the population was not Arabic or Moorish, what is more they constantly had to put down revolts from their underlings in Spain in Africa) while simultaneously waging war against the Franks and the Asturicans. It was actually in the reign of Charlemagne that the Spanish March was established (later to become the County of Barcelona and the Kingdom of Navarre) in opposition to the Umayyads at the behest of the Abbasid Caliph Harun al-Rashid and several rebellious Umayyad lords. Anyway point being that Egypt was still controlled by the Abbasids where as everything west of Tripoli was a total free for all between the two claimant caliphs and the local lords.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 17, 2017 at 02:47 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oda
    It just seems to me like he is religious but is also "prone to sin".
    Catholicism's in built caveat, all sin can be forgiven through acts of contrition. The Bishop runs through thorn's to purge himself, acts such as flagellation or wearing Cilice were common place (amongst nutters)..

Few complaints: Why do they call the Byzantine Empire the "Holy Roman Empire"?
    Ziyadat Allah did not rule in Cairo, he ruled in Tunis.
    Didn't thought they did call the byzantine empire the holy roman empire.

Sidric tells as much not to worry about the holy roman emperor, a he might not be the same tomorrow etc.

Sidric also mentions Africa. I didn't get the impression they went to Cairo. Africa was knowned to be Tunis Lepics Magna etc in ancient times. And Egypt, just Egypt.

Patrician

They said Michael II was the Holy Roman Emperor in Constantinople and that they used to rule Sicily. They are definitely talking about the Byzantines for some reason.

Also my mistake they actually said that Ziyadat Allah ruled in "Kairouan" which is in Tunisia.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I imagined it meant that Sindric kind of knew what was going on but not as much as they think. The end of that plot line was certainly underwhelming though...
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

MacCarthy's Avatar Miles

Was expecting more than the "Mediterranean Misadventures of Bjorn and Halfdan"

Bit of a wasted story arc that could have been intriguing on it's own.

Patrician

It will probably come back later but the execution in that instance was fairly bad.

Blog Entries

There is the promise of a serious tear up in the next episode, might even save the season, which hasn't been a total disaster.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

So they mucked around the medditerranian a bit, saw a town in sicily and got screwed over somewhere in sahara. Then rowed back with their tails beneth their legs. Really fast too. Great adventure Bjørn!

Although the showdown might be pretty epic. They've been building it up all season. Gimme a grand shield wall battle on land, or gimme battle of havfrsfjord on sea.

Blog Entries

Yeh, I think they focused on Ivar while Bjorn already had a lot more depth as a character. Now the tear up between the sons is pretty much all they have left, though I am enjoying the little side cuts of Alfred's pilgrimage, but that's probably just nostalgia for Athelstan... Floki's arc has potential, but they don't give him much screen time.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; January 10, 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Patrician

So no one saw the end of the season?

... meh it kinda sucked.

Blog Entries

Yep and Yep...

Patrician

Feels bad man.

That battle scene was so confusing. What the heck was even happening?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I only watch the first episode and somehow it does seems that I kinda lost interest in the series compared to the first 4 seasons. Should I continue watching ? Maybe I am to harsh to judge by that single episode but I somehow feels the show has lost some of it's magic, maybe because no more Ragnar ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Patrician

It feels as though every character who isn't Lagertha, Floki, Beorn, Ivar and maybe Harald is completely worthless. Now they are hinting that we will get an entire Iceland arc separate from the main story, with new characters... why?

The only arcs that need to be resolved at this point are the Beorn Arc, the Ivar et all Arc, the Kattegat Arc and the England Arc. But I really don't want to sit around for a History Channel version of BBC's The Last Kingdom. If I wanted the story of Alfred I would watch The Last Kingdom. Still I suppose we need to finish with Ubba, Ivar and Guthrum in England so... eh?

So how in the hell did Alfred become king before his brother? That isn't historically accurate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    What I meant is that his religiosity is clearly developed from a modern atheist point of view. It is not convincing.

The show helmets do not look like Carolingians helmets.

I made a mistake when I said Morion. It is more exactly Burgonnet Helmet like this one :

Good for Rocroi but terrible for Wessex.

There is a simple reason why they are used in the show. Budget reasons. Hirst stated that they were reused from the Borgia series. He also used for his Tudor Series cloaths from the Set of his Elisabeth Movies. That is why we see there fashion from a period roughly 50 years later. Its a bit weired but it doesn't kill the show, saves him a lot of money for other cool stuff in the series and i bet that the most people won't even notice it.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I just binged the season this weekend.

What happened to this show? The first 29 episodes (1-3 seasons) were so well made. The the most recent thirty have, with very few exceptions, have been so bad as a whole. And it's weird cause it's most of the same actors, writers, producers...etc. It just obviously has a bigger budget now, but we have a worse product.

I think I might be done. Maybe I'll wait until the series is done but I think I am done watching them for now.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

The show died with Ragnar.

There have been moments and Hirst always said it would continue with the sons. But he couldn't have foreseen Fimmel being so dam good the show would be lost without him. Should have asked the soothsayer...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Is this going to show the varangians at some point?

I stopped watching at halfway through season 2
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC