Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Default Re: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

IMHO the early heavy cavalry kind of drives across the point well there's plenty of lingering things present from the previous century. Pikemen with some factions is another amusing example, although they are far easier to use effectively in battle than early heavy cavalry outside chasing units.

Pikemen are gone in next version... completely.

That's a shame, I was quite fond of them in early phases of the campaign.

Pardon the double post, but have you considered looking into the possibility of introducing fog of war that's also present in some other mods (this could also double as request for NER), or is there some other issues that might come up that are not really compatible with ER and NER designs without major alterations? Just got me thinking as I played one MP battle last night with a friend, and while only houserule we tend to have is Generals are not to be targeted with artillery and bit of common sense (obviously it's another story if he is at the line and there's heavy fighting going on), it would sound quite welcome addition in paper, but then again my modding experience is quite limited and I have no idea how well it would go with AI.

Problem is General unit cannot hide.. its hardcoded. Every other unit has adjusted spotting distances, which are much shorter in planned version than they were in 3.7 mostly due to scale change.

In new version, every unit can hide in proper terrain. Based on unit type, they can spot hidden enemy units. Line infantry units are not that good in this, they can be ambushed by enemy quite easily. Light Infantry units are better at this, anyway even them might have problem with Skirmishers which can hide well and shoot accurately at greater distances, which guarantees them few shots before being discovered, but it also depends on terrain they are in..

Setting up ambushes is much easier in next version, and be prepared for AI using it, especially in North America if you face natives..

Campidoctor

Any word on some more changes before release?

not really, all changes are already done, i have file ready but still working on release notes..

edit:

LOL, never say never.. there is actually one last minute change i decided to implement - First tier Roads are now most costly of all and take longest time to built - This is to simulate obvious cost of building road network in wilderness, which was very problematic in 18.century. It will be quite a challenge for anybody to cultivate wilderness provinces, and it will make Russians lack good road network - with its huge initial price it will be not worth building everywhere.
    Last edited by JaM; April 08, 2013 at 06:12 AM.

I tried several times yesterday to upload new version into download section without success, so i have decided to use some external site for download link. Currently waiting for file to be approved at Strategyinformer, once i see it up, i will post a link and release notes.

Where can I see faction list?

Faction list is the same as it was in standard ETW.

I downloaded and installed the current version of ER, before doing so I verified the games integrity. I'm playing as Prussia. While playing I notice that there are blanks in the recruitment slots, is that normal? Also, one of the files installed is Spanky's Militia Mod, but no militias are showing up. Was this a mistake, or did I do something wrong in the installation?

what do you mean by blanks? can you post a screenshot?

Regarding Spanky files ER4 is using their textures for certain militia units, like North American Militias, American Minutemen, etc..

I can't really post a screen shot, I'm too inept for that. But the way the recruitment panel is displayed you have the following: 1. Regiment of Horse; 2. An Infantry unit; 3. Blank; 4. Blank; 5. Another type of unit; 5 Blank; and so on.

First of all congratulations on version 4.

Now I don't quite understand the idea of provincial line infantry. They're, for most factions, worse than standard line and can be recruited anywhere, like standard. For Britain they're available in England but not Ireland. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were available only in one/two slot provinces while standard line were only available from barracks?

Some other things:

Austria starts with one cuirassier unit despite they being a tier 3 cavalry unit.

Poland have to tech a lot to get to Winged Hussars, when it should be the opposite. Currently they only get other cav than Dragoons at tier 3.

Coldstream guards are available from London's government building, yet if you uppgrade it to full you can't recruit it. It becomes available however at later barracks.

I'll update this post if I find more.

that is strange, i'd say you probably have some other mod active together with ER4 which is causing this.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusHealth View Post
    First of all congratulations on version 4.

Now I don't quite understand the idea of provincial line infantry. They're, for most factions, worse than standard line and can be recruited anywhere, like standard. For Britain they're available in England but not Ireland. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were available only in one/two slot provinces while standard line were only available from barracks?

Some other things:

Austria starts with one cuirassier unit despite they being a tier 3 cavalry unit.

Poland have to tech a lot to get to Winged Hussars, when it should be the opposite. Currently they only get other cav than Dragoons at tier 3.

Coldstream guards are available from London's government building, yet if you uppgrade it to full you can't recruit it. It becomes available however at later barracks.

I'll update this post if I find more.
    Provincial Infantry is there to give occupying force ability to recruit unit in conquered province. Ireland has separate unit that is always available for whoever is holding the Ireland, same with Scotland. England is different - If French manage to capture England, they wont be able to recruit English Line Infantry,but only Provincial Line which is inferior. Same situation applies for every faction.

You may be right. I ran my registry cleaner and I'm in the process of moving all the mods I have the data folder to their own "mods" folder, out of the way. I'll let you know.

It worked. The culprit was the AUM mod.

Campidoctor

Looks great JaM! And btw, when I mentioned if there was any word on changes, I just meant the ones that were already made if you could let us know what some of them might be before the release, I wasn't trying to tell you to make more.

i have mentioned those bigest, anyway there are so many changes, full change log would be too big to write down... (anyway i will post updated unit guide which will mention a lot of new features)