Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19445960616263646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1429

Thread: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Default Re: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

ok thanks this helped a lot

Hello,

I've just had a quick campaign as England with your mod and had a blast. I haven't played empire for a while and your reworking of things I overall much approve of, but I thought I'd give you a little feedback on some things I noticed that I thought may be problems:
    - The ranger unit in Moose Factory only seems to have 50 men when the units should have 100.
    - In the Tech tree, there seems to be some issue, as I could just build all the military buildings without researching the required technology first. And I had a similar issue with the metal industry tree, where for some reason it thought I had built the top level, when that was not the case (I only had a lv2 version of the building anywhere in my empire when this screenshot was taken).
    - The Native American factions all seemed really feeble, with the exception of the Cherokee who managed to capture Florida and had a decently sized army when they decided to attack me (while most of my troops were elsewhere dealing with the Spanish). But all of the rest were unable to scrape together a stack and seemed to have negative growth on all of their settlement's economies. Even my allies the Iroquois seem unable to muster any significant economic growth or an army when left totally war free for 100 turns. I don't know their settlements enough to really know what to suggest to improve this, but I think something needs to be done to make them at least a slight threat.
    - Both the French and Spanish seemed to have a real problem arranging any kind of resistance in the Americas. Probably part of the problem is that I rushed them both a little bit, but other than a stack France started by attacking the 13 colonies with, they mostly just sat inside their settlements to wait for me. Though iirc that was always a problem with empire, so I can appreciate there's probably nothing you can do about that.
    - While I like the idea of growth coming from roads/minister and a flat wealth growth from industrial buildings, I do concur with an earlier poster that it can lead to some odd outcomes if you realise how the system works. When you can have growth of around 60 or more a turn from focusing on that line of research and getting roads/schools/good ministers, a flat increase of a few hundred or even a thousand doesn't count for that much if you can hold on to the settlement for a while. Again, maybe this is an outcome of me rushing across America too fast, but after the initial 10 or so turns, I never found myself particularly wanting for money, so I've ended up building colleges everywhere to improve the research progression, as the money from industrial buildings are mostly just unneeded. At turn 98 I’m making 60K from tax and 20K from trade .
    - Everything seems a bit static in Europe (I'm playing on h/h), other than thing's I've taken in my war against Spain, the only change of territory I've really observed is a few German states being absorbed by Austria.
    - I've noticed all of the riflemen seem to have the same range as the musketeers. I take it this is just to engender good AI use and reactions? It irks me a little, but as greenjackets still seem to outshoot light infantry at their extreme range I suppose it all seems to be working as intended, but I do feel in my heart that people with baker rifles should be able to actually meaningfully outrange people with muskets

Anyway, thanks for the hard work you’ve clearly put into the mod. While I think you may have gone a little too far in making battles slow, volleys low in casualties and units easy to break, it undoubtedly feels far more like what I imagine this combat was like than anything else I’ve played.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TT.png  

Regarding rifle vs musket range - maximum range was not different. Both weapons used spherical bullets, while muzzle speed was relatively similar, therefore from ballistic point of view, they would have very similar max range. From combat perspective, it was not uncommon for Musket armed unit to try to respond on enemy fire, even at ranges such fire would be completely ineffective. Large majority of engagements were fought on extreme ranges (100-150m or even more), which also explains the amount of bullets spent per casualty ( lowest mentioned was 500:1, highest 3000:1)

From gameplay perspective - same range means AI will never stood at exact max range and snipe player outside of their max range... AI in this game is written quite ridiculously, and AI is checking for max range for its decision process... with same max range for all small arms, AI behaves more consistently, and doesnt try those silly dances around max range border.

Rifles have a lot higher accuracy compared to Muskets, so they will deal a lot more casualties within effective range.

Hi JaM, thanks for a challenging mod. ... What is a scripting lua and is it something I need to do, and how? I'm about to restart a campaign and was looking for solutions to some of the problems I ran into and found mention of such.... 5.0, Grand Campaign, Prestige Victory, Poland-Lithuania but maybe Ottman for this next one. Thanks!

nothing complicated, just if you play main campaign as Britain, France or Maratha, just go to campaigns folder, enter main, and unzip the appropriate lua file and overwrite existing scripting.lua that is in the "main" folder.

I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled this mod about three times, but no matter what nation I choose to play as, the game crashes on turn 1

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I hanother mod, in the ad this kind of problem with another mod, in the end the problem was as simple as updating my graphics card driver?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I had this kind of problem with another mod, in the end the problem was as simple as updating my graphics card driver?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

I sieged a fort with settlement fortifications (+9 to siege holdout time) and government chambers (+6 to siege holdout time) yet the turns till surrender was 5. Is it supposed to be like this? Also has anyone experienced the portraits of their units on the campaign map glitching out and showing up as green or white boxes?

Its a bug of base game, seems no matter what + siege tim you might have, maximum time is hardcoded..

Thanks for the response. Great mod by the way! It took a while to get used to but I am really enjoying how it promotes a more active style of play with your troop formations.

Is Portugal available as a playable faction?

only original factions are playable.

Hi. There is something weird regarding campaign difficulty. In UK campaign Hard the recruitment/upkeep costs are higher. turn 0 starting balance is negative. Going VH campaign , the recruitment/upkeep values are similar to Normal difficulty, money balance goes from negative to +1900 each turn.

thanks for feedback, ill check the files, maybe some values are swapped. I'm preparing small update in next couple of weeks so i'll definitely add this to my list to do.

Hi there!

I Wasn't here for a while... long one. Anyway, I've just started new campaign, for the first time with v. 5.0, with Prussia - gush... this is hard... I'm only about 8 years into game. Still, I have some first impressions.

1. I would consider to make even early dragoons an cavalry unit, and not a high mobility infantry unit. This is vanilla issue, but they tend to stuck between mounted and dismounted phase. After first deployment (dismounting) it is extremely risky to try to mount them back. If the'll stuck, they become useless nad vurnarable to enemies actions.

2. I appraciate most changes in v. 5.0. Battles are more interesting and it is harder to exploit BAI stupidity. Still, I had impression, that enemies infantry lost it's cohesion only after its first salvo, and after that they stay at 'lightly disordered' status, while players units loose cohesion quite rapidly. Maybe this was just speciffic situation. I don't know.

EDIT! 3. I've just conquered Poland region with Warsaw capital. As expected, Poles are not very happy because of it (hey, the've started ) and I have constant rebellions. This is fine. Still, it is anoying that peasant rebellion can enlist some elite footguards out of nowhere. This have no sense. Is it possible to reduce possible roster of rebellion armies to just "basic" units for peasants rebellions?

That's all for now. By the way, after all this years I plan to buy Napoleon finaly, so I'll have chance to try out NER 5.2 soon.
    Last edited by Sherab; February 18, 2020 at 02:05 PM.

thanks for feedback, ill try to adjust these in next update (just cant tell when it will be released).

btw regarding rebellions - its common misconception that rebel armies are always formed from peasants.. its game decision CA made in TW games but as such its far from actual reality. in 18.century, there were several uprisings where nations risen against usurper. Yet, without Nobility and Middle class support, there would be no rebellion to begin with as weapons were not really available to common population.. Most rebellions were actually organized by local nobility who had enough or money to recruit relatively quite effective combat forces.

Hi there. First of all, I still think your mod is the best one released so far for Empire.

You are of course right about uprisings. Still, if as oppressor I've decimated enemies army and I've overtook administration of a province, I don't know how those noble rebellion leaders would be able to recruite elite infantry. Theu power could be in numbers, but not necesserily in equipment's quality and training.

Perhaps my view is somewhat blurred by the fact, that I'm a Pole in real life, and in my current campaing as Prussia I've been attack by Poland-Lithuania Commonwelth. I've repelled the invaders and I've took from them Western Prussia and Poland regions instead. And I know from my countries history, that while big hit to nobility, foreign occupation was often liberation for peasantry. It wasn't that easy to start insurrection, it seems. And most of them was unsucessful in the end, despite of the feel of alianage towards new masters by common folk.

By the way - I've fought a capple of battles with them at the moment. I still think they (battles) are better than they were in previous versions of the mod, but at least at normal battle difficulty, I had no trouble in defeating even numericaly overhelming opponents simply by keeping batallions rotation. It seems that AI is simply not able to use properly cohession and morale system despite your best efforts. Or maybe this is only because of clear superiority of Prussian troops over Polish. I don't know. Should I play on harder battle difficulty for balanced gameplay?

In description of changes in v. 5.0 you've mentioned AI recives bigger bonuses from economy buildings and technology, than a player, but besides this it has no 'magic' money no more. Still, it feels somewhat annoying, while you are struggling to sustain even a small army, while AI with single province have half stack land army, and developing it's fleet at the same moment. I understand CAI stupidity needs to be somehow compensated, but it is still annoying.

power of small single province states is necessary to prevent bigger countries to easily wipe them out.. in the past i tried to adjust behavior for certain factions to not expand certain way and follow more "historic" approach in terms of their expansion.

and regarding rebellions - this is quite hard coded mechanic, there is not much that can be done to change what units are used. There is a simple weight system based on type of population that is rebellious (lower, middle, upper) and their preference towards certain units. Elite units are usually linked with Middle and Upper classes, so if you see these units, it means it was rebellion of upper class. Lower class doesnt have any weight for these.. Yet, as I said, its hardcoded, sometimes game choses things by some hidden behavior i cannot influence..

Hi! Regarding your problems with high quality troops in rebellion-stacks: Try to dismantle beforehand every military building which provides for such units in this province. I had success with this approach. For example: I took Paris and razed its buildings to the ground. After three turns a half-stack of rebellious militia turns up, which are easy to dispatch. Another example: I had several rebellions in Austria. The first did not include high end artillery, the latter did, as I completed upgrading an Ordnance Board building in Vienna in the meantime.