Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 631464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1429

Thread: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

Default Re: Empire Realism - Feedback and General Discussion

dude, 1704 3 years before french revolution? The french revolution started in 1789. And if your'e talking about the american revolution and are confused, that is 1775. So shame on you dude.

what are you talking about?

I would like to say that this mod got me excited for ETW again. I am a stickler for history and it's accurate depiction in historical strategy games. The battles in this mod, both at land and at sea, feel much less arcade-like compared to vanilla (that being said, that is not an inherent fault of vanilla as it is after all a video game). The diplomatic interactions between AI factions is much more believable. There are no more random wars between distant countries and that dreadful 3-way brawl between Poland, Prussia, and Austria has been solved. The mechanics of the Holy Roman Empire feel much closer to history too; The Austrians can count on the loyalty of the minor German states for a time, but the more powerful ones like Bavaria can find themselves siding with France and Spain in the impending wars. I really like the new victory conditions and slower pace of this mod as well. Keep up the good work.

Laetus

I want to play late campaign with this mod and I know how to use esf editor to unlock in late campaign...but i want to know if the scripting file for each faction in the main folder will be useful for the late campaign or not

yes, these files are useful to have in any campaign.

Laetus

thanks , it really helps

wow guys, thanks for voting in 2015 modding award, where ER4.7 got the second place! and because i want to thank you all for your support, i've decided to release an 4.8 in next two weeks (definitely before new year!).

planned changes for 4.8:

- rework of ship sailing mechanics, maneuverability, naval gun accuracy
    - different firing mechanics for land unit, using single rank fire only, with each soldier firing 2 bullets to simulate for double rank fire, for proper formation depth mechanics
    - tweaks to CAI

Naval changes:

- artillery will have increased dispersion, but increased accuracy, therefore will be much more accurate at short range. Getting close will now be a real benefit, close range broadsides will be quite effective.
    - speed and reload rates will be reworked towards typical rate of fire (1 broadside in 5 minutes for average crew), and distance sailed at that time. This should make combat more tactical, with holding fire to the last moment a valid and effective tactics.
    - sailing speed will be slightly increased, as speed effects to wind angle will be higher. Optically, ships will sail slightly faster, yet only with favorable wind. Speed effects are increased to make much bigger difference between sailing against the wind and sailing with optimal wind.
    - sail angles will be reworked. Yards will be able to turn up to 60 degree, while sails will stay set a bit more even at angles sharp against the wind.
    - turning the ship will be now faster, especially with the optimum speed. turning into wind will be faster than turning against the wind.
    - morale impact for being under fire will be increased, while morale of trade ships decreased a bit. Trade ships will be slightly easier to rout or capture.

Combat Changes:

- Line Infantry will now use single rank fire, with every musket firing 2 bullets to simulate the 2 rank fire. Thanks to this change, there will be proper firepower difference between regiments formed in 3ranks and 4 ranks, where previously was no difference as a lot of men were able to fire even from the fourth rank.
    - infantry rotation speeds will be drastically reduced, turning the regiment deployed in 3 ranks will be much slower than turning a same unit formed in column. Deeper formations will benefit form maneuverability, while thinner from firepower.
    - charge mechanics will be reworked, when ordered to charge, unit will receive large morale penalty for a very short time period. If actual unit morale is too low, this charge penalty might cause unit to rout, so practically, this penalty will work as a simple check if Infantry morale is high enough to commit to charge. It also means that it will be possible to stop enemy bayonet charge by reducing enemy morale by musket or artillery fire, before it gets into charging distance.
    - flanking melee attacks will be now more effective than frontal attacks. Similarly, being attacked from flank will now result in larger morale penalty than before. Directing a musket or artillery fire to enemy flanks will be very effective way how to break enemy units.
    Last edited by JaM; December 20, 2016 at 08:09 AM.

Exciting changes! I can't wait.

I don't suppose you can slip in (make available to recruit) an Irish regiment or two? If not now, perhaps later?

isnt there already an Irish Brigade? ill have a look.

Scots and Welch, but I'm not locating the Irish.

oh, maybe because they are French units Irish Brigade fought for France, English only formed Irish regiments late in 18.century.

Another thing i'm considering reworking are Light Infantry units. These will be most likely converted into companies(50 men), instead of battalion (100), and will be working as standard skirmishers in open order, as that was their main battlefield usage in 18.century.
    This will allow me to adjust the whole combat model, and make all units have clear role instead of having few multipurpose units that are a bit hard to balance out. This way, i can adjust musket range for Line infantry to be same for all units, so it would only differ by accuracy depending on weapon quality, while light infantry and other skirmishers would have longer range, therefore will be able to snipe out Line infantry units from distance, but would not have same volume of fire. yet they will be useful at engaging enemy units, and lowering their morale so main infantry force can come close and charge. (which was the French concept of Column attack, with Light infantry providing fire support.)

Out of curiosity, why not feature Light Inf as 100 man open order troops for sake of testing?

I honestly liked how they colonial infantry was 50-50 but obviously, anything that helps AI to force the player to adopt is always plus. What prevents 100 head open order troops from existing when combined with some unit limits and whatnot?

Also at this rate I ought to send new ER beginner's FAQ so you can edit the post, since the old one was already kinda byproduct of switching between ER3 and 4

Its hard to say how it will work with 100 men in open order formation, will need to test it out, and if there are some issues, i might leave them as they are. Technically, i could just simplify the Infantry into base groups - Grenadiers, Line infantry and Skirmishers, where Light Infantry would be a bit more maneuverable Line infantry for example, with actual skirmishers detached from the regiment, and present as separate unit, which will be always fighting in open order. At least that was how French Light Infantry Regiments worked in Napoleonic Era, Chasseurs fought as standard Line Infantry, each regiment,Line or Light had skirmishers detached and fighting in open order.. Yet of course, Empire should not follow early 19.century setup for Light infantry too closely, as it was something that developed from 18.century use..

One thing i'm considering is also slight adjustment to unit cost, and adjustments to AI to boost recruitment a bit. Might also look at Eastern factions units, making Ottomans a bit more of a thread for Russians, or to each other (Ottomans vs Persia)..

and regarding naval changes, first tests look quite interesting, i might experiment with yard angle a bit more, as it is the main determinant if sails get reduced once you are too sharp against the wind.. thing is, sailing ships could turn in spot, by turning yards on front mast to one direction and yards on main mast to other, practically forcing the ship to turn with sails alone.. (check naval action videos on this) only problem is ETW naval model is not built for that, yet i think with some adjustments i can at least get as close as it gets with this...

Oh, and yes, i will try to update FAQ to new things, but my priority will be the release, which i'd like to do early next week.

Strictly speaking all infantry units should have the option to detach about one third of their strength as a skirmisher screen, whether light infantry or not. The remaining two thirds were retained in close order as both a rallying point, a source of replacement for the screen, and a counter-attack force for any major attacks by the enemy. As such there should not be any dedicated skirmish units at all, merely units that are better trained at skirmishing. Austrian and Prussian battalions did not even have designated skirmish companies, they merely detached men from the rear ranks of their fusilier companies to act as a screen as and when necessary.

4.8 is up, let me know if you find any bugs.

Sixt's Avatar Civis

Happy New Year :-)
    Can i ask, what cai tweaks you have done?
    I hope it will be alittle more Agressive?

minor ones, just decreased minimum chance of success for AI, so it will take more risks, as well as adjusting some priorities for nations. i will be uploading few updates in next coming weeks too.
    Last edited by JaM; January 02, 2017 at 12:13 PM.

Hello people and happy new year

I am a bit confused about the scripting... which of the folders that are in the campaigns folders should I choose? And should I extract the files to the data folder or another one?

Thanks for the advice.