Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DUM Generals Mod (50 new generals)

Miralem's Avatar Libertus
    " This :wub: they call a country " - Bosnia and Herzegovina

Default Re: DUM Coming soon ...

@plumes
    Use the standard Russian one or the Austrian one made into black
    And I just noticed, those are retextured French Marshal hats, that type was never used in Russia xD Simply use the Austrian generals bicorne but retexture the yellow outlace into white ( like feathers ) and their plume into black

@Aide-de-camp skin

You do know that's an 1805-6 uniform, don't you?

The Russian army stopped using shoulder "boards" for all officers ranks in 1809 when they introduced the epaulet. All officers ( not NCOs, but COs only ) under Colonel wore the one without laces while Colonel and up had the laced ones. Some colonels and above also had Alexander I's imperial monogram made from silver attached to them, while some carried their regimental numbers.
    Kutuzov's Aide-de-camp originally was Kaisarov, and here's a nice portrait of him.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now, for the epaulets, there was a lot of variations, heavy cavalry ( all ranks ), guard cossacks ( all ranks ) and dragoons ( officers only ) wore the silver-colored lace-less epaulettes ( except the colonels, who wore the laced ones, colonels preferred the golden ones though much more than the silver ones ), hussar officers did not wear epaulets at all, and infantry and artillery ones wore the golden ones according to their rank ( all officers below Col. the non-laced ones, all above - the laced ones, exception to this goes to the Guard Artillery and Infantry <Preobrazhensky, Semenovsky, Yegersky, Izmailovsky, Litovsky and so forth, so forth> where all officers wore the golden laced one with Alexander I's monogram ).

Here are the types worn by officers less-in-rank of Colonel

And what all officers, Colonel and above wore

The Russian general's uniform looked pretty much like this

The 1812-onwards adjutants ( which the game uses ) uniforms for those such as generals were looking like this :

The generals ( and adjutants ) wore pretty much the same uniforms, it was mainly the medals that were a sign of rank, those having the St. Andrew order were the highest classed ones, while those having such as St. George big neck medals ( even up to 10x10cm ) were a bit less than them, with regular officers having anything up to the Order of St. Anne

^^ General's uniforms

And in this picture you have posted

Left : up - 1802 adjutant, first modernized uniforms; below - 1805-7 adjutant ( also can be seen in the Russian 1968 movie War and Peace, this uniform is worn by Bolkonsky during the 1805 campaign, mainly at Hollabrunn and Austerlitz )
    The green-panted one is probably a man from the Life-guard Yegersky, as he is a private only ( epaulets state so ) though he has a real sabre, and not a briquet, which was only acquired by the Life-Guard Yegersky regiment, not actually an adjutant xD
    Right : up - 1809-1811 uniform for adjutants; below - 1812-1820s uniform for adjutant-generals

Members of staff's torso looked pretty much like this
    [spoiler]

But, due to the fact that the Russian officers that were available to afford it, they could have a uniform made for themselves by a tailor made out of luxury materials, though it had some regulations to follow. Here is some variations of the uniforms of staff officers

And a few....paintings.... to back it all up, of generals with their staff guys

@medals
    Well, you could try and insert more of those generic rounded medal thingies, just retexture it into 2-3 different medals???

Well, if this text above was of any use, REP+ pleez, took an hour to write and sum up everything

Knyaz_Agovich
    Russian Field Marshall
    Spoiler for Mods I use

Thanks Miralem for all your efforts + rep.

I truly appreciate your passion for 100% historically accurate Russian generals and you most certainly have my respect as our Russian expert. I really do not wish to discourage you in any way, but there are many aspects of which I simply have not the skills to help you realise. I don't know how to mod mesh, so I cannot make as many medals as I wish nor place them anywhere I like on a unit's torso. If the 'flickering' plumes is a mesh issue then I'll require another modder's help.

I hope you're not offended by... well... my lack of modding skills . I started off DUM with some grand ideas just like you, but when I tried to put them into practice there are just too many variables and limitations with the way CA designed this game. I was forced to scale back, make concessions & be practical with what resource I have (time, modding knowledge, tools & trying to keep DUM small enough for smoother gameplay).

what you've written above are still invaluable and I shall continue to find ways to accommodate your ideas where possible. But I cannot promise to include all your concepts given my limits as an average modder. There are so many things I agree with but have not the skills (or in some case, time) to make.

I have a limited number of slots to dedicate an uniform to. Russian and Prussian ADC thus share the same uniform slot given how similar their white ADC uniforms look. To make room for a separate Russian ADC uniform would mean sacrificing another faction's uniform slot...and that's just one of many modding limitations I've encountered. Currently DUM is at a whopping 29.3MB for just 72 units compare to AUM's 14.1MB.

But if you have any questions about modding, its possibilities and limitations, I'll do my best to answer them. At the end of the day it's the kind of passion you've shown for Napoleonic warfare that makes this forum so productive / creative.
    Last edited by Sacrebleu!; February 22, 2013 at 04:07 AM.

Aaah...:

Knyaz_Agovich
    Russian Field Marshall
    Spoiler for Mods I use

Mayor's Avatar Tiro

Most interesting reading about Russian Generals and Staff officers uniforms, Miralem +Rep
    Last edited by Mayor; February 22, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Here are the portraits Sacrebleu! is speaking about

These are just the main factions. I also have portraits for some minor generals, but I have not integrated them in the mod yet.
    I played, liked and appreciate your mod MOE, but the only problem is there are no trees on grand campaign... :/

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I have trees, so maybe you installed it wrong

agunter999's Avatar Senator

MOE
    little off topic

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

These are just the main factions. I also have portraits for some minor generals, but I have not integrated them in the mod yet.

I'm very interested in these for my own needs; I have a modest private mod that changes all the art to original period paintings. This would go well with it.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

I'm very interested in these for my own needs; I have a modest private mod that changes all the art to original period paintings. This would go well with it.

Are you still working on the mod
    it is all very quiet

Sorry for my extended radio silence folks....I'm once again caught between real-life workloads and family commitments.

To all who've patiently waited for NTW mods...sorry to keep you waiting, I haven't forgotten DUM and am determined to see this project through to completion - and that's a promise!

Libertus

OK. Don't worry. Thank for you promise.

And EUM FUM

Wonderful, simply wonderful, thanks for +REPs

Knyaz_Agovich
    Russian Field Marshall
    Spoiler for Mods I use

mennelik's Avatar Civis

hopefully not only staff officers, it would be great to have it like the mod Steph is working on, each genral with his own specific bodyguard.

Grumbler's Avatar Foederatus

This looks to be a great mod and I am looking for to its release. Is it possible to put some Chassers a' Cheval of the guard in Napoleons unit?

I take it you gave up

Nice graphics I forgot to say

Hi all. Just a short heads-up: DUM will be released a few days before this Christmas.

- France, Britain, Russia, Prussia & Austria will each have more than 10 new generals.
    - Spain will have a smaller list of 7 new generals.

DUM will probably be my last NTW mod, my professional life has finally caught up with me and like all modders who came and went, it's my turn to pass the torch to the next cohort of young modders.

It has been a great experience making BUM & DUM...thanks everyone for all your good patience & warm supports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast