Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: MLB Discussion Thread

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default MLB Discussion Thread

I guess its time to make a new MLB thread so let me start off.

Felix Hernandez gets a 7 year 175 million dollar deal from Seattle. Its good to be the King:
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: 2013 MLB Season Thread

Let's hope he doesn't end up spending his career like Ichiro did.. 1 year of post-season and then close to 10 years of losing.

I know he has a nice home in NY or Boston in say 4-5 more years...........
    1962, 1989, 2002

As good as Felix is, I honestly don't want him with my Yanks. Too many players crack under the pressure and scrutiny of the NY media and expectations of the fans. We currently have a few killer prospects lurker in the Minors and hope they get called up either next year or the one after. BTW PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!! Spring ball is upon us!!!

Let the practice games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1962, 1989, 2002

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Yup pitchers and catchers report today if I'm not mistaken. Whoo-hoo!! Seems kinda funny because I'm looking at about 2 feet of snow outside the window lol. I really don't know what to expect out of this year's Red Sox, I guess I would be happy with an 82-80 if they are 'competitive' and not feel like they are just going through the motions like last year. I mean, it couldn't possibly be any worse than the Bobby V experiment.

Also stickied.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

LA's won't be hard to root against this year with the massive over the top desperate to win $$$ means championship spending going on there. So bad there making the Yanks blush. I wonder how the Bluejays will fare, every time teams go and get alot of supposedly upgraded talent it normally takes a season or 2 for them to get it together.
    1962, 1989, 2002

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Any Tigers fans here? Should be a great season for them and all of baseball, can't wait only 47 more days!!!

AL East is up for grabs this season, going to be an exciting baseball season! Hope my Yanks come out on top in the AL East!

Also, anyone know if that King Felix deal went through? I heard there were some issues that arose because of some elbow problems he his having.

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
    Also, anyone know if that King Felix deal went through? I heard there were some issues that arose because of some elbow problems he his having.
    You probably heard by now, but yeah it went through. They made some concessions because of the elbow, but he still got a payday of 7 years 175 million.

I have never been less optimistic about a Yankees season in my life.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Baseball season for me in a nutshell:

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

I'm pretty exited to see what Jackie Bradly Jr has to offer in the big leagues. It's looking more and more like he's going to open the season as the starting left fielder considering Ortiz' injury. Less talked about but just as important will be if Jose Iglaseas can actually hit MLB pitching. From all accounts he has all the makings of being an Omar Vizquel type SS but he's gotta hit better than .200, even in the 9th spot.

It will be interesting to see how the Sox pitching staff shapes up. I've never really been a fan of Lackey but he lost a bunch of weight and has looked decent this spring.

Oh and WTF (why) is Houston moving to the AL?? The NY, Chi, KC/StL and LA teams are separated by league, why the hell did they move Houston into the same division and league as Texas? I mean I get why they did it (6 NL central/4 AL west) but if anything they should have move the Brewers back into the AL.
    Last edited by Darth Red; March 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Wow. I thought this year the AL East would be far better than in previous years, even though it's been the best division in baseball by far since '07 (three straight different teams in WS)

This year I'm really not confident in our chances.

This is our opening day lineup. The first 3 batters and CC are major league starters. Sure, those are fill-ins because of injuries, and some will come back, but how many games do you think we'll win in the early season AL East? I mean, we've got Youk batting clean-up!!! And evne if A-Rod does come back, I think he's done anyway. His last good year was 2010, and the last two years clearly showed he's done. Ciombined 34 HRs in two seasons. Jeter's losing range (only got those Gold Gloves a few years ago to make up for fact he hadn't back in early 2000s when he was worthy), although hopefully he has another season like last year. Teixeira hasn't been great since his first season here, as he's batted like .240 since 2010, and Granderson's Ks and averaged have been hurt too. I have a feeling the short porch has turned them into only pull hitters, unwilling to go the other way, even when there's a shift. The team's a mess, and I see only a 3rd place finish a best (which is still a possible Wild Card, but probably not with Houston in AL West).

This is coming from someone who usually predicts a WS win every year.

New York Yankees
    1. CF: Brett Gardner
    2. RF: Ichiro Suzuki
    3. 2B: Robinson Cano
    4. 1B: Kevin Youkilis
    5. DH: Ben Francisco
    6. LF: Vernon Wells
    7. SS: Eduardo Nunez
    8. 3B: Jayson Nix
    9. C: Chris Stewart
    SP: CC Sabathia

Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

I was browsing through Yahoo! Sports page and found this...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's the reality of the beast, but that's quite astonishing. The increase for the Dodgers is mind-boggling, and how do the Nats and the Jays increase their overall payrolls upwards of 40-50%, when they were considered lower to mid-market teams last year? Economics was never my thing, however, two teams who had payrolls last year ranging from between $75-85 million, suddenly have them well north of $100 million. Everyone here knows me as an Orioles fan, though people in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area must have a hard-on for the Nats, because the O's got chump change by comparison.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

I too am hesitant about my Yanks this year. The injuries are a testament to the age of our team. I hope we're not entirely washed up, but it definitely seems that way to me.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

I don't recognize half the people in the Yankees lineup. Their team is decimated. Yet somehow it's probably for the best, hopefully they'll shy away from overhyped players and big contracts now.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

I have to admit it gives me great pleasure to know the Yanks are giving A-Rod 28 million this year (more than the whole Astros payroll) and you're paying him 86 million over the next 4 years. For a 37 year old. Albatross seems like an understatement.

I guess after enduring Bobby V last year I need something to smile about. Oh thank GAWD the league voided the Sox deal with the Rangers all those years ago.

I'm a little hesitant to anoint Toronto just yet. Yeah they look great on paper but that doesn't always translate well. I'm still pretty impressed with Baltimore and what they did last year. As weak as the AL east is this year, I think they have the best shot at the division.
    Last edited by Darth Red; April 01, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Considering half of Toronto's lineup is the Miami Marlins last year, who were extremely overhyped and then were below .500 at the All-Star break, and eventually finished way below .5000 after trading away a few roleplayers. Personally, I think the Yankees and Red Sox will be a mess this year. I mean, John Lackey might actually be your team's version of AJ Burnett, BUT WORSE. I see the Yankees getting a little better, if only because of their top 3 pitchers having good years, but their offense is a mess. I see a year around .500, somewhere between 75-85 wins, with the Red Sox doing slightly better. I think the AL East will lose Wild Card spots simply because the Orioles and Toronto are relevant again, so all the teams in the division will bring each other down, unlike a year like 2010, where the East would have had both Wild Card spots if there had been two that season.
    Last edited by Darth Red; April 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

for-profit death machine.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast