Thread: Most awesome maneuvers or attacks you have done in a campaign, multiplayer...you have done in a Total War game

Laetus

Default Most awesome maneuvers or attacks you have done in a campaign, multiplayer...you have done in a Total War game

Do you guys have some?

I have one.

My 4 slingers are pelting every Julii unit they get in range of from the northeast, but they just aren't putting down enough men, my three warbands and three swordsmen are dangerously low in numbers but are still holding out in a line in the bottom center of the map, my general had just killed the other army's general but I ain't willing to risk him because the number of bodyguards were in the single digits already...and I still had three British Light chariots that are good to go.

So...I disabled the skirmish button, and then double clicked all the way to the northern edges of the map, and had those 96 men re-enact the Charge of the Light Brigade.

And it worked on the Julii mob! While the three Light Chariots only had 36 men left by the time they had run to the spot I had double-clicked.

Default Re: Most awesome maneuvers or attacks you have done in a campaign, multiplayer...you have done in a Total War game

In the campaign as the Julii I had a small army of three units of legionary cavalry with one unit of early legionaries heading towards Londinium (it was looking likely to rebell and I wanted a larger garrison). It did rebel before I got there and so I ended up being attacked by a full stack of mixed chariots and infantry. The Legionaries got swamped immediately but using the woods around to split up their army and combining charges I actualy managed to win the battle. There were only about seven of my cav left at the end but the British rebels were routed. It remains my best tactical victory and meant that a serious revolt was dealt with easily a couple of turns later by an army from Gaul.

Default Re: Most awesome maneuvers or attacks you have done in a campaign, multiplayer...you have done in a Total War game

My best tactical maneuver was actually on the campaign map. Using the brutii i spied on sparta and saw that they were a very strong garrison so i recruited a unit of onagers in my small army about 1/3 stack. I attacked and took Corinth from them and then retreated to the laconian border to the west of Sparta leaving only a unit of velites behind in Corinth. They sent almost three entire stack to retake Corinth so i attacked Sparta on my next turn. They only left three Spartan unit and a peasant unit behind! Easy victory! Their next turn they attacked Sparta and since hoplites aren't great on the offensive i was able to beat back the charge killing cleomenes in the process and basically eliminated the last powerful army the greeks had left

The entire stack not three stack stupid autocorrect

It is not tactical but it is my herioc standing.
    I was Playing Eastern Roman Empire the Goths attacked by the Vandals horded and attacked Thessalonica.
    My garrison was 1 General 1 Equite auxilia or something 1 Eastern Archers 1 Legio Lancerii and 2 Cominatenses against 6000 men using large scale.
    in the fight in the streets i killed 5000 men of them but i finally couldnt manage to win R.I.P. Lucius Flavius Governer and General of Thessalonica.

I was playing as Greek City States and fought against Pontus. They had two stacks consisting of Pontic light cavalry, skirmishers, archers, scythed chariots and eastern infantry. My four Hoplite units were forming a noob box on a small hill. The Pontic scum attacked in wave after wave, and two of my Hoplite units were breaking under the pressure, so I took the two remaining ones that were almost intact and flanked the two Pontic armies.
    I won almost instantly, my Hoplites got an incredible amount of XP an thanks to the Heroic Victory I earned a new general that conquered all of Asia Minor and Syria for me.

BullWarrior's Avatar Laetus

*No idea why it did that* out.
    In the end the Gauls had lost something like 1800 men and I had lost a meagre 71.

BullWarrior's Avatar Laetus

So I was playing as Spain and I had around 400 Skirmishers, 500 Iberian Cavalry, 50 Scutarii and about 100 men in a General's unit. I was fighting a Gallic
    force roughly around 2000 men. I divided my Skirmishers and cavalry, while putting my Scutarii behind a rock. But, what I did not realize was that the gauls
    had spawn right in front of my skirmishers, not my cavalry, so my plan had to be changed.

It was a Slaughter.

The gauls attempted to full-out charge my skirmishers, but I put them back to a safe position. While the gauls were reforming, they left a gap, straight to their general's
    flank, right in the center of their army. So I charged in all my cavalry, which near instantly killed their General and routed their men from the inside out.

In the end the Gauls had lost something like 1800 men, while my losses were only 71 cavalry.

Demetrius Poliorcetes against the Seleucids

I played Macedon (in Rome Total History) and had just lost an important battle in Lycaonia. The Seleucids were marching with a large army against my outpost Side in Pamphylia. Reinforcements had a long way from Sardes and so I sent the only available unit, my faction leader, to slow the advancing enemy in Isauria.

The valley descending from Iconium to the coast is a narrow canyon with high mountains on both sides. Demetrius started high on the south-western edge of the battle map. As faction leader he had more than 50 bodyguards, but the enemy came with over 1500 men, mostly infantry. Their problem was that they had to descend from the north-eastern heights, cross the valley and climb the south-western slope, so when they arrived, they were already tired.

My first plan had been to wait for their arrival and quickly retreat. But then Demetrius noticed a weak spot, where only light infantry was standing. So he charged and forced his way through the enemy line. Then he rode to the north-western edge of the battle field where he had time enough to take a rest. The Seleucids turned on his heels, but when their slow infantry came up they were completely exhausted. So it was an easy game for Demetrius to repeat his feat, riding back to his starting place.

He played the trick three more times, but his next move was towards the south-eastern edge of the battlefield. The enemy had to descend again into the valley and climb the opposite slope. When they arrived on top, the light troops were in front and Demetrius was able to kill many skirmishers. Afterwards he rode to the north-eastern edge. The heavy infantry was still in the valley and now they slowly climbed up to where they had started. This time, after taking a good rest, Demetrius crossed the enemy line right in the center, routing every unit in sight and killing many more in the process. Then he rode to his starting point where he waited for the night.

The Seleucids were too exhausted to make another attempt. Demetrius had lost half of his bodyguards, but they had killed over 600 enemies. The Seleucid commanders canceled their offensive against Side and went back to Iconium.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

I am in love with the cavalry so therefore I didn't treat my infantry that well. In a massive battle between me (romans) and the Greek City states I had to defend Sicily. They had a full army of hoplites and only I had a half army of archers, some infantry, and my general unit. This was on hard difficulty by the way. So we met on an open field and within the first few minutes my army was routing. only my general survived and one small unit of equites. They had around 8 hoplites running around trying to kill those two units. So Overall I had 3 (General) + 7 (Equites) = 10 cavalry vs 650 hoplites ! So this is what I did, basically my equites came up to a hoplite, and then I would charge with my general from the back. After the hoplite unit would try to change direction, I backed off with my General, and charge with the 7 unites of equites. I repeated this pingpong until that one unit started routing. I also waited for a unit to be isolated from the group, that was my prey. Basically I had to sit through that battle for around an hour, and everyone was exhausted. I completed over 70 charges. I must add that the enemy did not mass rout so I had to isolate individual units and take em out piece by piece. My General had over 500 kills and Equites had around 100. They did not have casualties and they got promoted really good after the battle. 40 turns later, Greek city states was conquered.

This happened in 2008, but I remember this battle to this very day. Not even my Napoleon, Empire, Medieval, and other Rome battles make such an impact on me.

One that stands out from a long play session is a siege of Thracian Thessolanica by the brutii. I basically thought the battle was lost until 160 Falxmen came in as reinforcements on the roman's left flank. they charged around the outside and basically Ripped and Teared through one unit at a time sparing the city defenders from the roman onslaught.

Playing XGM as Seleucids and this one is a campaign map maneuver:

Ind. Greeks attacked from Pergamum to the Ephesus and Ipsus, leaving only the general to the city. Then my assassin from Sardis killed him, followed by Seleucid family member entering the city. I just love capturing settlements without a siege .

I havent had a truly game epic moment on RTW, except one time playing vanilla, where the brutii AI had amassed a good 15 full roman armies on greece, and i had only one in the area, with 3 more coming. That one army resisted 5 constant attacks before succumbing to 2 more attacks, and bought me enough time to send my other 2 legio armies to crush the brutii there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

On the strategic map, I sent only my general to siege the enemy settlement, with the rest of the army right behind him. The enemy sallied forth. Bam. <-- Classic strategy.

On the battle map, Phalanx charging the romans as the selucids, while turning on and off phalanx mode twice, making the legions run into the pikes. Bam. Mass route in the center.

During a defensive siege battle I had my faction leader wipe out the ladder units and him + barbarian cavalry took out other cavalry. This was as the julii vs gauls.

A square. I tried it twice, once when outnumbered 3:1, and once when outnumbered 4:1.
    The first time, I won.
    The second time I lost, but for every 1 men I lost, the enemy lost 3 men.
    So although I lost, the enemy lost more men.
    First i put my weak infantry in a large square, behind that my heavy infantry in a smaller square. I then put my archers as a diagnal and my general in the middle and my other cavalry, out of the square, hidden.