Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Map WIP (Massive Campaign Map Preview added, first post!)

what no waterfalls!?!? (i'm joking ofc )

it looks good and very defensible , you really are working like a trooper

good job
    i personally can't see anything wrong with it then again i don't care what stuff looks like as long as it looks good

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Map WIP (Imladris Preview added, first post!)

Excellent

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Map WIP (Imladris Preview added, first post!)

The valley looks great, really really nice. Constructive criticism? I'd texture the little plateau bit to the northeast, or raise the landscape to the north and gradually slope it down to sealevel so it feels more valley-ish (if you had something like this planned or simply haven't heightmapped that area yet, sorry in advance! ). Maybe through in some landscape feature like sparse woodland or something on those higher bits so it feels slightly differentiated from the nearby mountain. The river also seems to be slightly defying gravity in bits, so maybe you could look at smoothing out the height as well.

That aside though, it really looks brilliant. Keep up the great work.

Awesome work on the map can't wait to see final

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Those are all good suggestions, polish which is needed . So for the plateau you are suggesting raising the height and then smoothing it down from the center (a more northern center) so that is looks more like a sort of slope than a flat plateau? I was thinking 'Yeah, someone will notice that plateau' . Sparse woods will be added around the place in Imladris as it gets polished up.

Just making sure, I welcome any criticism that isn't pointless bashing, as nearly every time it betters my work. Don't feel scared to suggest, critique or correct.

This is looking really great, FireFreak!

Will there be space for only 1 army between imladris and the bridge?

Also, will there be only 1 valley open between Rohan and Gondor?
    I mean between Druwath Iaur and Pinnath Gelin, where in the previous versions there were two ways through the mountains...

Wow! It's great! Greatly improves aesthetics Rivendell Valley before seemed very flat.
    One suggestion is, if possible, make the bridge out of the same settlement, as I have drawn here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...adebitsyr.png/

I have a doubt about the High Pass, is north of Rivendell or accessed from the Valley?

Keep it up, the new map will be perfect!

@Glamdring
    1 army will be able to fit. Its one hell of a chokepoint.

So far the pass at Durwath Iaur is in, but I have a alot of deliberation to do on the Oathbreakers and that path.

@Dronin
    The reason I am doing it as it is is for this reason:

High Pass is just above the northern river of Rivendell. If this isn't correct then please say so

Ah!! Ok!
    I'm just not sure if the path they took Thorin and company in The Hobbit is the High Pass or another and I think that the book is not specified whether the Bruinen recross to cross the mountains or if access to that pass from Rivendell.
    I put a quote from The Hobbit of when they take the pass, to see if in English do you find something clearer than me with the translation into Spanish:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There were many paths that led up into those mountains, and many
    passes over them. But most of the paths were cheats and deceptions and
    led nowhere or to bad ends; and most of the passes were infested by evil
    things and dreadful dangers. The dwarves and the hobbit, helped by the
    wise advice of Elrond and the knowledge and memory of Gandalf, took
    the right road to the right pass.
    Long days after they had climbed out of the valley and left the Last
    Homely House miles behind, they were still going up and up and up. It
    was a hard path and a dangerous path, a crooked way and a lonely and a
    long. Now they could look back over the lands they had left, laid out
    behind them far below.

I really do not know how many ways there were to cross the Misty Mountains. I have read some, High Pass, Gap of Rohan, Redhorn Pass, Moria and pass at the source of the Gladden River. There may be some further north, but no idea.

I think that you are going in the wrong way because the Hidden Valley is more like a hole in the plain than encircling mountains ...
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

I clearly read the bottom part of the map wrong . It's easy to fix, and it will be.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    @Glamdring
    1 army will be able to fit. Its one hell of a chokepoint.

So far the pass at Durwath Iaur is in, but I have a alot of deliberation to do on the Oathbreakers and that path.

@Dronin
    The reason I am doing it as it is is for this reason:

High Pass is just above the northern river of Rivendell. If this isn't correct then please say so
    glory days with Merp games
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Hidden Valley 2.0 (with basic polish)

Still needs more work, such as fixing its elevation and more, but the concept is better executed now.

@Thorin
    I will do some research on the valley more, and rework it for a 3.0, with the same layout but the elevations fixed up to be like the gorge it's meant to be.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 28, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    Hidden Valley 2.0 (with basic polish)

Still needs more work, such as deciding its elevation and more, but the concept is better executed now.

@Thorin
    I will do some research on the valley more, and rework it for a 3.0, with the same layout but the elevations fixed up to be like the gorge it's meant to be.
    WONDERFUL!

I think you could probably lower the elevation of the settlement some, and add some elevation to the mountains around it, and it would be perfect. Then again, I am by no means a loremaster

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Updated Imladris Preview added, first post!)

Nearly already done, the base re-elevation is done, with the valley having the same elevation as its left, but having the foothills of the mountains elevated to keep the cliffs intact, all while keeping the walkable and nearby elevation at 80,80,80 to 84,84,84 RGB max to prevent the black mini-map glitch and definetly under 100,100,100 so that the heights don't glitch and become flat.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Updated Imladris Preview added, first post!)

Sorry about the late reply - looks like you fixed it to pretty much what I had in mind anyway. The update looks absolutely fantastic - aside from the polishing of elevation we've already covered, nothing seems to jump out at me as glaringly obvious. Seriously, combining lore accuracy and good aesthetics in a limited style is REALLY good work.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Just a question about fords / river crossings (the places on navigable rivers). Will they all be lore accurate or will there be additions that affect gameplay (such as the lower crossings of the Anduin in the vanilla TATW map)? Personally i would prefer if armies could only cross at certain points where Tolkien mentions fords/bridges since they seem to be important. It's such a pity we can't have river crossings where you have to build boats in order to cross (like how you build siege weapons).
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

90% lore accurate. There will still be the single Pelargir crossing, as I have witnessed the AI boost from it. In the previous map it was removed, AI basically just died on the east bank, Gondor couldn't defend and just went straight at Harad. I will do the same test without the crossing on the new map, and if the AI are still retarted or gain a boost from the land bridge, I will implement it. When it comes to rivers, where it was stated that it was important the crossing will be implemented. One good example is on the Bruinen the Ford was stated the only crossing, which will be implemented as the only one. Many places will become more strategic due to this, such as the Sarn Ford, Buckland (no bridge except the Brandywine bridge which is above it), Fennas Drunin, Gap of Rohan (Fords of Isen and a crossing next to Isengard being the only two crossing in the Gap.) and many more.

Imladris 3.0

Here is the third version of the Hidden Valley with a fixed elevation, being a gorge rather than a gap in protruding mountains. It also has more polish and better surrounding terrain.

Yes, I do notice the floating tree
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 28, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Imladris 3.0 Preview added, first post!)

hahah... then I was seconded...
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...