Page 16 of 85 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Mordor preview, first post!)

actually he said he would release it as a modders resource so in theory , hopefully no unforseen issues, you could just treat it as another mod and apply it to vanilla

Default Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Mordor preview, first post!)

Using this map with vanilla TA would be like....damn, cant think of any good comperisent. Would be a step-back in my view (but I have many strange view on this game like the stupid AI)

Anyway, to code this map for the use in MOS, they told it would take ALOT of work/scripting so I guess that applies to vanilla as well?

Divide and conqure will base on this map (i guess?) so...maybe that will be avalible sooner?
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Mordor preview, first post!)

1) your view on the AI is not strange to those who have experienced the issue (me included... it's just not brought up in conversation because no one knows how to fix it)

2) MOS has a colossal amount of scripting compared to vanilla honestly i can't for see a problem adding this map to vanilla if Firefreak releases the relevant files(spoken from my admittedly noob experience levels concerning modding) , if you have an average computer the amount of script increases you turn time compare Vanilla and MOS -vanilla a few seconds MOS a few minutes i think that says it all

3)yes i see divide and conquer using this map before MOS why? because it's not certain that MOS will use this map they already have 2 and the amount of work would be immense for there small team... also firefreak is on the DaC team so i think this was started because of that and will be implemented

Bela's Avatar Ducenarius

2) MOS has a colossal amount of scripting compared to vanilla honestly i can't for see a problem adding this map to vanilla if Firefreak releases the relevant files(spoken from my admittedly noob experience levels concerning modding) , if you have an average computer the amount of script increases you turn time compare Vanilla and MOS -vanilla a few seconds MOS a few minutes i think that says it all
    Changing all coordinates in all scripts takes lots of time and needs testing, and there are some more things (like hidden resources, for example) which must be added to an extended map and so on. But it is doable
    Also, it will take some time for the AI to play the turns of 30 other factions, even without scripts, so it won't be too quick either in DaC. And there are some scripts which will be added...
    "No Rest until the Blood of Greenskins flows like Dark Ale upon the Earth!"

+++ Josef Bugman +++

Quote Originally Posted by Bela View Post
    Changing all coordinates in all scripts takes lots of time and needs testing, and there are some more things (like hidden resources, for example) which must be added to an extended map and so on. But it is doable
    yes but will the MOS team have that time or am i going to have a crack at it and mess it up (probably am you have to start learning to mod somewhere..)

Quote Originally Posted by Bela View Post
    Also, it will take some time for the AI to play the turns of 30 other factions, even without scripts, so it won't be too quick either in DaC. And there are some scripts which will be added...
    the turn times increasing when there are many factions can be dealt with by having a decent computer more so than scripts (i think... )

also i wasn't really commenting on this i know DaC will eat my computer resources for breakfast and i'm not to worried about that , i was commenting on the fact that if your just adding this new map to vanilla it would be easy (relatively)

There will be a vanilla version of the map, it will be realease earlier than the Dac version. The second one will include 199 settlements. The codding and scritping had been redone, nothing really complicated. For MOD, if they will they can use it, but we will not "help" them to implement it.

Default Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Mordor preview, first post!)

Anyway, we will just have to wait and see, lets not take to focus away on this amazing work :-)
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Yes Arandir tells it basically.

We will first release a vanilla version with most vanilla regions + perhaps some more. It'll be free to use, also for submods but they can implement it themselves.

Then we will start on the DaC version which will use all regions slots and be perfected for all our factions.

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Yep, EoH and Arandri speak the truth. Only difference is that a version of the expanded map may be released for vanilla and modders too.

Uploading a massive Eriador preview to Photobucket, taking some time. Massive progress has been made, all regions are fixed up, both name wise (no settlements names being the name of the area, proper names for many places), border wise and placement of settlement wise. Polish all around the place, cleaned up river crossings (so there isn't 10 in a row in a diagonal line at some points), added all major roads (they sort of just came naturally, North-South, East-West, Old Forest Road, and alot more). Did some nice effects with water-colours, including making sure the south branch of the Forest River is a sort of black (special Lore reason), water passing through swamps is a shade of green, Mordor water being a shade of black and far north water being a much lighter shade.).

Sound is finally fixed up (some stuff I missed, no swamp sounds in Nurnen (Mordor) for example), geography file complete (last of the distant terrain colors implemented, so that means NO distant terrain being black on the battle-map). Fixed alot of issues with custom settlements (checked many to ensure they worked) too.

Eriador of course received alot of refinement, with many ambient rivers from this map: http://greywulf.net/wp-content/uploa...rdolan1650.jpg being included to break up the endless wilderness and boring look in Cardolan. Did work on Gondor, finished Rohan (massive overhaul, next preview), removed the strange road that went from the center of Mirkwood to Dol Guldur (its not a highway, its a forest....), put work into Fangorn, and finished many regions.

Finally, I did some tweaks to many of the things the community has pointed out and I have delayed doing, such as fixing the Amon Eithel hill . Pass of Seregost in Mordor is in, Mount Dolmed is in, and many small fixes around the map.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; February 19, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Eriador preview, first post!)

Great previews.
    If I may I would swuggest some details:
    -There should not be a pass connecting Durthang with the Vale of Udun, As shown in the RotK map the Ephel Duath were really steep there.
    -The Orc Camp near the Black Gate could be moved a bit north and become Isenmouthe. Or else add Isenmouth as a settlement.
    -Why change Gram with Shedun?
    -Since Cameth Brin is used could we use its geographic surroundings? (according to MERP)
    meaning: placing it upon a cliffside: http://merp.wikia.com/wiki/Cameth_Br...amethbrin2.jpg
    and adding the small hills around it: http://merp.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cameth.jpg
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Eriador preview, first post!)

i'm not going to say anything constructive until i can see the pictures better..(stupid wifi )
    but... when you look at the new height map look at Tol Fuin remind anyone else of space invaders

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Arǭmēz View Post
    Great previews.
    If I may I would swuggest some details:
    -There should not be a pass connecting Durthang with the Vale of Udun, As shown in the RotK map the Ephel Duath were really steep there.
    According to thelandofshadow website, which is all about Mordor, there is a pass connecting Durthang with Udun at the northern end of the Morgai: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/ragat...map-of-mordor/

Why Tuckborough and Bucklebury gone ?

And could you make Carnd Dûm closer to the mountains (like Minas Tirith) ?

Otherwise, great, great map ! And Rivendell is a masterpiece !
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

As Firefreak says, this Shire will be redone. And this cities are perhaps only for the expended map version.

Ah, OK .
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    According to thelandofshadow website, which is all about Mordor, there is a pass connecting Durthang with Udun at the northern end of the Morgai: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/ragat...map-of-mordor/
    Yet the site is non-canon
    using non-canon stuff to fill the empty spaces is one thing, changing the canon stuff if favor for non-canon is another.
    In the RotK map there is no such path, Since we have a detailed map of the northmost parts of Gorgoroth there does not seem to be a reason to add new stuff...
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Still this map is the best availeble source for the Mordor region.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Still this map is the best availeble source for the Mordor region.
    unless you are willing to put the cretive part of your brain to work using some logic and the sources

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Just a word on the expanded map I keep talking of, it's main purpose will be to provide combat in regions that need it or are completely empty. Examples being North Arthedain, South Ered Luin, Cardolan, Enedwaith, Andrast, Rhovanion, Rhun, East of the Celduin, Mordor (should be a massive conquest to completely take it) and more. Gondor won't get many (its already very cramped), namely Edhellond, and a region at the mouths of the Anduin. Khand maybe one extra region, Harad some to the south-east, Rohan will get two. It won't make areas a siegefest (only one that may become hectic is the Shire, which should be a hard invasion, and very hectic).

@Arǭmēz
    - If you look at the map there is a sort of bridge there (where the pass is), it looks really wierd. http://www.strangehorizons.com/2010/...3/tolkiens.jpg
    - Isenmouth will definitely be in the expanded map.
    - Gram is a mountain. If there is a chance to replace it with a settlement next to it, I take it. If I could have a model for Gram I would put it back in as an actual settlement. Gundabad will remain simply because there is no alternative. (I will look into a mountain model there too.
    - I will experiment with the cliffside, but the small hills will definitely be in.

@Thorin II
    Tuckland, Eastfarthing and Buckland will be in the expanded map.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; February 19, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    unless you are willing to put the cretive part of your brain to work using some logic and the sources
    I am not willing to. That map of Mordor is perfect for a new TATW campaign map.