Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Eriador preview, first post!)

Looking really good.

The passes in the Misty Mountains and Ered Luin turned out nicely.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Eriador preview, first post!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    I am not willing to. That map of Mordor is perfect for a new TATW campaign map.
    Mordor is good as Firefreak made it , as is the rest.

He does an amazing job , and i cant wait to play this lovely map

Massive work here FireFreak! Impressive! Rep to you!

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it more than you could believe

I have spent a day polishing the map, fixing bugs, adding the last of the landmark resources and adding ports. Moria got a 100% remake, works now, looks nice IMO. Will remake it slightly for the expanded map when the additional Mines of Moria settlement is in, not now though. Had to redo all of yesterday's region/settlement name work as I overwrote it with an older file, didn't take too long though. Polished the big forests, adding small routes, small inlets at the edges of the forest to break up the monotony of dense forest. Added two more ambient rivers in Eriador, one at Lake Nenuial and one at Cameth Brin. Updated the Eriador Preview with a few image updates soon. Also added a small ambient river at Andrast.

I spent more time than I likely should have on ports (3 or so hours)... but it was worth it. I made sure that the ports are on absolute edge shorelines, to prevent some of the ports looking like they got beached (where they are far too inland). Every region with access to a lake or the ocean has at least a fishing village, except for Cair Andros (just doesn't and shouldn't work). The heightmap even got edited to make sure they generate on the battle-map properly and to make sure the roads next to them don't break on the battle-map.

Mountains are polished now, had to remake some from scratch to ensure they don't look rubbish. No miniature mountains now. Will have to add snow-caps soon. Added the last of the important land-bridges for AI (Gulf of Lune, Umbar and Celduin Mouth).

Uploaded a Rohan/Gondor/Misty Mountains/Rhovanion preview, might as well get them all out of the way . Next up is adding trade-resources, fixing the few likely region border bugs, then fixing coordinates in the campaign script. Then bug-testing, fundamental AI testing and a beta/alpha.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; February 20, 2013 at 06:26 AM.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Gondor, Rhun, Misty Mountains and Rhovanion preview, first post!)

What Bridge? Where?
    Attachment 267133

I love the new Rohan btw...
    Could we have a triple peaked Gundabad? (it is thus shown in the Wilderland map)
    And add the resource for Durin's Tower, at one of the peaks? (to show that it was once a Dwarvish site of Importance???)
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Gondor, Rhun, Misty Mountains and Rhovanion preview, first post!)

My fail, its a label not a bridge To be honest, it does help AI, but I have to say only one source has the pass there, and Tolkien's own work completely contradicts it. Sorry Dutch-Balrog, but I will remove the pass there.

I like the idea of a triple peaked Gundabad, not sure if its possible but I will try.

Durin's tower is in, look at the Moria preview It would be wrong to put it on one of the two non-settlement mountains, it is stated it was on the peak that Moria is under, which I can't do.

Nice eye for details, FireFreak, those chopped and burned trees between Isengard and Fangorn!

BTW: Could you consider naming Isengard region Isengard and the settlement itself as Orthanc

The Misty Mountains look hard to defend, will this map make the OotMM weaker or am I missing something?

It looks awesome, can't wait to battle on this new terrain!
    In it for the rep.

Quick preview, the Rammas Echor is in, last major resource (nearly forgot about it).

Any suggestions for placement of trade resources around the map are welcome.

@Glamdring
    Orthanc is the tower, Isengard is the entirety, including the wall, the pits, etc. The Vale it is in is called Nan Curunír.

@Wizad
    Its pretty easy to defend from the east (Gladden river for example at that pass, Lothlorien blocking access and the Redhorn pass to surround attackers at Moria). Imladris will be a tug-of-war, both can use the pass, and the Orcs are normally more aggressive. Also, taking control of the entirety will be hard, taking each pass is challenging. Especially the High Pass (taking one means being attacked by the other). Then Gundabad can reinforce it from the north. With the expanded map there will be a couple more settlements (rebel) on the west side, for the Orcs to control. Defending the west at Gladden is another story.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; February 20, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

I meant to place the same resource (aka dwarven ruined tower) upon Gundabad mount...
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Playing on that map will be awesome what about rest of the modding, how it goes ?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Couldn't the model for the tower of Durin and the model for the city itself be combined so it would just be the city? Or, place the resource very close to the city/mountain and raise the level of the tower model so it floats above the model (which would mean it would look like it was sitting atop it.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

arnach is out? ... dam i loved those swarthy axemen...

May I ask, where do the unique standard Gondorian settlements come from? Is that a DAC feature? (The white circular towns I mean.)

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

I found them in the original Third Age files and decided to implement them

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Nice eye for details, FireFreak, those chopped and burned trees between Isengard and Fangorn!

BTW: Could you consider naming Isengard region Isengard and the settlement itself as Orthanc
    No : Isengard means Iron fortress ; that name is thus for the fortress and not for the valley.

Oh, and ther shouldn't have burned trees in the south of Fangorn : Saruman had not do that when DAC starts .
    And Mity Mountains looks lower than other mountains ...
    Does Pelargir have a port ?

Otherwise, best map ever !
    Last edited by Thorīn II Oakenshield; February 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Looking good!

Right... It's been too long since I've had Tolkien's books in my hands...

Anyway, I really, really like your work on Dagorlad and Rhovanion!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Is the hornburg working alright after the change of the orientation in the map?

So much positive feedback, thank-you everyone

@Aromez
    Wouldn't be right, the stair was a unique trait of Moria.

@smoesville
    I was thinking of something of the sort, the tower model would have to be reduced in size or it would look awkward, but I think it would be the right thing to do.

@knight of meh
    Lossanarch is still in the game, just a different settlement.

@Thorin II
    Would it be right to likely place some dead trees near Isengard, but not near Fangorn yet (it sort of is just a cosmetic feature)?

I will polish the Misty Mountains more, make sure some of the peaks are taller.

Pelargir has a port, its a bit west.

@paradamed
    It works.

That's the good news. Even without rotating the battle-map settlement, it works, with the only oddity being the surrounding landscape of course, but the valley (surrounding cliffs) and the Hornburg work. I tried rotating the settlement, it worked, but I don't have KK's terrain settings so it sort of didn't work that well. I have requested them and permission to include a rotated settlement, but of course no reply yet.