Thread: Unit size discrepancies

Default Unit size discrepancies

I was going to increase unit sizes on my own in the EDU, when I discovered that many unit sizes have no correspondence to in-game unit sizes.

For example, units that have 16 in the EDU should have 64 units on Huge scale, but they only have 40 in-game on Huge.

What's doing this? Is it a script?

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Unit size discrepancies

How do you know that's how it's supposed to be? Are you sure you're not thinking of another game? On huge scale units have 150% more men than on small scale, not 4 times like you say, and I don't think it can be modded, I didn't see it change in some mod at least.

RTW has 0.5/1/2/4 progression of unit sizes, M2TW has different.

Aowwwwwwwww you jerks. So then what is the maximum unit size level? Also, this would undoubtedly throw it off balance, though I did notice that many of the smaller units have 2 hitpoints. Would doubling their unit size and giving them 1 hitpoint serve? Would I also have to increase the unit size of units with 60 men and 1 hitpoint as well?

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    Aowwwwwwwww you jerks. So then what is the maximum unit size level? Also, this would undoubtedly throw it off balance, though I did notice that many of the smaller units have 2 hitpoints. Would doubling their unit size and giving them 1 hitpoint serve? Would I also have to increase the unit size of units with 60 men and 1 hitpoint as well?

Yep. It's mostly knights/dismounted knights though. I think it simulates their rarity (is this a word?) and more effective training compared to lowly infantry.

(I cannot answer the original question)

I understadn that fully. My problem is just the unit sizes. Since I'm already doubling them up, does it throw it off balance if these knights have 80 instead of 40 and still have 2 hitpoints?

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

It shouldn't if all your other units are doubled as well. If you were to removed the 2 hitpoints you'd be making them overly weak as compared to their number and rarity. Or at least that is my take on it.

Feel free to add me.

Speaking of which, I noticed that Anglo-Saxon huscarls had 2 hitpoints, while their unit numbers were comparatively high (90). Considering they seemed to stand alone in the EDU and all other huscarls had 1 hitpoint, I figured this was a typo so I gave them only 1 hitpoint. Was this intentional or was I right?

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

That'd be a question for SV or Da Vinci. I honestly don't know.

Feel free to add me.

huge units size in M2TW is 2.5x normal units size.
    Last edited by napoleonic; January 23, 2013 at 06:06 AM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

OP ... changing (here doubling) the unit numbers influences the default strategical campaign-flow(-balance) in regard of the pop-growth and economy.
    And ie. in case of AI for small settlements (ie. villages), they might be empty-recruited, just in case villages can recruit (slots). There are possible other points (disadvantages), too.

I personally cannot recommend that approach, despite the kind of unrealism in this regard.

Technically: edu unit number changes should work per era-campaign setup (also with the launcher), it needs then a new campaign start (at best, remove map.rwm file prior to new campaign).
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I've already gone around 150 turns into a campaign with doubled unit sizes. Don't know what sort of unrealism you're referring to, as I've not had any problems with regards to settlement growth, and the AI seems to be building up stuff fine on their own (based on the buildings standing after I take their settlements)

Patrician Artifex

Fine, then go ahead
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

but what problems are you talking about that would be caused, and stuff related to realism? The main problems/complaints I've encountered thus far have nothing to do with population/troop numbers.

Patrician Artifex

Kind of unrealism is, that medieval conflicts were done with small armies (without to discuss here the consistence of them), the known (big) battles via written history are the very exceptions.

Next point is for the whole view in this regard, if we Chiv2 developers would have had another unit number approach as we have realised with the released files, we would have done it, the unit numbers are a design choice, and we did a lot testing/balancing, simple as that.

However, no problem at all, as long you have fun with that kind of alteration (and it works properly for you), as fun is the common goal.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM.