View Poll Results: Wich faction should take the Hattori's place ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • IGA SOKOKU IKKI ( peasants , few armors , hit and run tactics )

2 9.09%
  • ASAKURA ( proud clan , few but deadly )

9 40.91%
  • HOSOKAWA ( Nobles and rich, chinese influence , not so skilled )

5 22.73%
  • TOYOTOMI ( will rappresent a generic little clan that rise to power )

4 18.18%
  • NANBAN FACTION ( a bit less historical ..but interesting )

2 9.09%
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUE SAMURAI final

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: TRUE SAMURAI

Nice preview with the Honda troops . I look forward to the other region specific units (especially Ii Red Devils!)

A quick bug to point out. I've noticed that in your mod, the background music has been "shifted" so that Spring sounds like Winter, Summer sounds like Spring, Autumn sounds like Summer, and Winter sounds like Autumn (I may be mistaken on a couple of these since I didn't write it down, but I recall Spring definitely sounds like Winter). I'm guessing this is as a result of the 12 turns per year, but I've never had this bug with another 12 turn per year mod so something may be "off".

It's just a little weird to have my primary war season sound so barren, is all .

Otherwise, very nice mod! The battles seem a little fast (at least compared with TROM3), but I've only fought small skirmishes of 6 or 7 units so far. Also I've noticed in my defending battles that the enemy Samurai tend to run headlong at my line and the ashigaru just wait in the back behind their archers. Specifically, I've had my lines charged by a general unit followed by a retainer samurai unit. I was able to quickly dispatch them before the rest of the army thought to engage, making for a pretty easy battle. I'll play a few more battles though to see if this was simply a fluke .
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

As you know the BAI cant be changed much so was the AI trying to be smart

regarding the music ivent payed attention but i will !!! something maybe that can be adjusted with version 2 ( i would have liked to make a 8 turnsxyear but i had problems so i switched to 12 )

Regarding the battles is difficult to find a balance between making them last some time but without losing the possibility to rout the enemy with a tactic .... i hope to have found the right balance but its also a matter of personal tastes .

let me know more !

SHIBA-TA YARI SAMURAI

It's always difficult to find historic references , the main are from the battle of Shizugatake and from the portraits and descriptions of Katsuie .
    Surely not a rich clan but with fierce and proud warriors ive decided to portray them as a bit "retro'" and not uniformed , they will only partially get the colours of the clan who own them .

The 2 units of Shibata Yari Samurai are better in melee and charge than the average yari samurai but they lack the same protection and training ..also they are not that good against cavalry charges .
    Their main advantage is that they tire less in battle .

They will be a very good and cheap addition to whoever conquer Owari

Last edited by Fra70; February 09, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Hi, I read what the mod intends to do and it really interested me. However, when I try to play the campaign I have a problem with ... difficulty?
    So first time I try to play as Uesugi faction, cant make anything but ashigaru, cant make other buildings until I have upgraded my keep. Long story short, by the time I've teched and researched and started to create some yari samurai units my closest opponent (jingu? to the left) appears with a stack of about 4 yari samurai and wipes my army of around 10 sets of ashigaru my archers doing next to no damage and my yari getting destroyed 2-1 by the samurai, I could not attack him sooner due to him having the garrison and it taking longer to reinforce my army and move it than for him to reinforce his castle. Game one, Defeated.
    Second game I decided to start with takeda and amass some horses, same problem as first where it takes forever for me to defeat the enemy I start at war with (I ended up intercepting his army inside my territory and my horses charge it to death, continued by a quick b-line to his castle, bad AI is the only way I won that.) After this I spend a long time teching and trying to get buildings, and keep an army size large enough to defend an opponents attack, the next enemies castle I come to has 8 samurai units to my now 2 (he started with yari drill yard, compared to my horse stables), a quick reload sees me attack another enemy (uesugi no doubt) I see he has 3 samurai archers and a force around my size, I now have 2 samurai bow horsemen so I decide to take the fight by unmounting my few horses and generals. So my archers do nothing to whittle down his forces before I start to climb his walls, where the samurai bowmen arming the wall while I climb proceed to destroy my ahigaru, and by the time my samurai arrive (next wave after them) I am too heavily outnumbered and my 4 generals and 4 samurai units slowly die to attrition.

Basically I agree with the whole "make archers like in DM idea and also.... am I doing this right? I dont see any other way to winning apart from getting samurai asap before the AI and taking a few towns with samurai spams, or just wait around 40 turns until I can make them...
    Also sorry for the long post I love the ideas you talked about but I don't see them working when the early game relies so heavily on rushing more samurai than my opponent or waiting for him to attack my garrison.

Thank you for your opinion ...i will compare it with others ive

Level of difficulty ? Ive tried to optimize it for HARD but of course depend also about how one play.
    For example i prefer to play at hard and never to very hard or legendary , but i impose myself also to never reload from a saved position .

Ive played 2 campaign ..one with tokugawa and i was around 1565 and i was in fairly good shape with many little kingdoms around ( now uprisings in AI controlled provinces are more likely to happen )
    Another with Odo i was beaten around 1563 in a decisive battle for the control of middle japan ( 2 cland vs 3 ...the new reinforcement radious can create very big battles ) but probably because i did care the battle as i should But of course its even possible that the game is set too difficult , i will check and recheck !!

If i can suggesto something ... : RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE !!!!! Rice now is the economic key
    Last edited by Fra70; February 09, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Bravissimo! Sono molto impegnato in 'st giorni, ma vedo che il lavoro è di altà qualità

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

'Scuse the newb question, but how do i install this?

Unzip the True_Samurai.Pack into the DATA folder of your shogun 2 installation
    when you will start the game a white window will appear will all your mods , just check TRUE_SAMURAI mod and nothing else ...run the game !!
    To be sure that my mod is loaded go in custom battles ...in units pool you should not see anymore ninjas , nuns , bomb throwers and you should see many new units ( levy ashigaru , late ashigaru , nanban samurai etc )

ASAKURA BOW SAMURAI

2 of them can be build in Echizen ...they are normal samurai archers in every aspect except one ...they never retreat . Of course they are cheapers than standard samurai archers .
    There are very FEW references to have an idea of Sakura troops so i went with the classic armours of the period and tried to stay close with the "probably" accurate clan colours .

Hello, played a bit with the Oda on hard today, everything went good. had some awesome battles today your mod makes really all more tactical.

After some turns Hojo declared war to me ( wrong side of my expansion plans and i dont have so much money for a second army,even with my farmbuilding ) so i builded the fort up and add a ronin unit and oda nobuyuki to the castle. all went good, i was able to defend his attacks, so nothing really special.

Out of no where the yamana declared me war, too. Would be no problem if not this army would siege one of my castles:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Looks not really like an "most ahsigaru and samurai are elite" army

PS. The new units look really awsome, pretty cool to have something rare and special in your army, looking forward to version 2 of this mod

Thank you !!
    Do you think that money are too few now ?

From you image i like to see that 2 more armies are called in your support even if far away :p
    Last edited by Fra70; February 09, 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Do you think that money are too few now ?
    No, i have to see what to build next and have not really money to build up my fort to big castles, because army costs are really expenive ( i wonder how the yamana get a samurai-only army)

From you image i like to see that 2 more armies are called in your support even if far away :p
    yeah, but just my nobuhide/nobunage army with 2 yari samurai, 1 yari-hatamoto and rest ashigaru. Tokugawa support are only 2 ashigaru units, so since the samurai can kill hundrets of ashigaru and the generals are not really a unit wich can match so many enemys, i will see if this is a winnable situation .

You never really answered to the Bowdamage threads, would you try to mod it?
    wether or not, my favorite shogun 2 mod

The mod shows up and i ticked it, but nothing changes in the game. Strange.

The mod shows up and i ticked it, but nothing changes in the game. Strange.
    this mean that in your DATA directory there is another mod .pack but set in a way that basically it start without your control ... you shoul delete it ( beware to delete only that mod !!! )

You never really answered to the Bowdamage threads, would you try to mod it?
    i really dont know i need more testing

UKITA YARI ASHIGARU

The rise of power of the Ukita clan was really incredible and if not for betrayals they would have become one of the two-three leading powers of japan ....
    That rise must have been a merit non only of leadership but also of great troops ( and at Sekigahara they were absolutely the best in my opinion ) .
    A so fast rise hardly was also a merit of Samurai ( the starting domain was so little ) and then i decided to rappresent them with a great ashigaru mochi ( short ) yari unit.

they are recruitable only after a couple of advancements in spear tactics but are absolutely 2 sturdy and valuable units , the best ashigaru units of the game . And cheap too ...
    Last edited by Fra70; February 09, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Great unit previews, it'll add some needed flavor to the armies.

Playing as Shimazu and Chosokabe ("tutorial islands" ), it seems like I have plenty of money. These two clans are also particularly easy in your mod, though, since they get many cheap early Samurai. That's not to say they're unbalanced, though. When AI controlled, for instance, the Shimazu were wiped out within 10 turns! What I really enjoy is that although I have a lot of money, I still must think proactively on how to spend it. It would be wasteful, for instance, to keep a large levy of Ashigaru raised if I didn't have any plans to use them.

Then, once my little army is assembled properly I take the war to my enemy after defending for a while. I love how decisive the battles feel. I fight one or two large battles (thanks to reinforcements) and the enemy is basically defeated - it's a great sense of accomplishment . When you release your next version I'll definitely start a Tokugawa campaign (I love Honda and Ii). I imagine that will be much more difficult since I'll be surrounded, but that's what his diplomacy bonus is for, right?
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Nice Unit preview looking forward too it !
    But the reason im posting is becuase i absolutely adore this mod!!!
    Today i fought as Date against the Mogami clan (left from them) and it was absolutely amazing! They ambushed my army with 2 General 3 spear samurais, 2 Yari ashigaru ,5 levy peasants and 2 Bow ashigaru... I just recruited a sword samurai and got my starting army (general, spear samurai, 2 levy peasants, bow ashigaru)! My Whole army died besides the sword samurais they survived with 22 brave men They fought totally exhausted against the spear samurai one after another and won the battle for me!
    Really nice work dude!

MAEDA LIGHT CAVALRY

The Maeda were always a mix of wealth and tradition and i tried to rappresent that in this unit , an homage also to the favourite toshiie weapom , the yari.
    They are similar to ordinary light cavalry in many aspects except 2 , they are far better that regular ones when dismounted and they have a far better morale.
    You can find 2 units of them in the Noto province .... are very cheap and useful .

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Mazza *-* Meraviglia! +rep

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

KURODA YARI ASHIGARU

Its the only unit of the clan of which ive found some references . They are in clan's colours and the are just slight better than a 2nd level ashigaru unit ....so whats the deal ?? That they are capped at 3 instead of 2 and they are almost free even in upkeeping !!

They can be recruited in the Harima province