Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Default Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

It stares at me, a blank page; I don’t so much wonder what to write, as I have no thoughts at all. Its back, the wall that is, the thing that’s hits all writers at some point, is it a lack of motivation, inspiration or talent? Perhaps it’s a combination of all three? Perhaps a lack of imagination is my real enemy, I may have finally run out of ideas, the well-spring of my mind may have run dry.

Interest is another problem, or rather the lack of it, I have all these wonderful (at least in my own opinion) stories that I write and update when the mood takes me, but at the moment my interest had waned and I’m not quite sure if and when it will return.

Being at a loss to write anything constructive or even remotely interesting, I thought why not write about the wall itself? So I am kicking off this blog.

As for the wall, I shall attempt to describe it; as you may well have been lucky enough to never have experienced it, it’s that terrible block that hits your mind and stops your thought processes from delivering anything remotely worthwhile. Even this rambling start to my blog strikes me as rather bland and self-obsessed, still I am going to endeavour to make a go of this, in the vain hope that I can maybe find the lost ‘spark’ that I need to get my actual writing back on track.

Rex

Default Re: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Well I figured as I’m at a loss to talk about anything worthwhile I would mention the weather.

Yes that’s right the weather. For those of you not fully acquainted with the intricacies of a Briton’s mind I will give you an insight. We love to talk about the weather, in the summer we complain it’s too hot, in the spring we moan that it’s too wet and as for the winter, well of course it’s far to cold.

Nether the less we do like discussing it, in fact the first think I do when I stumble bleary eyed out of bed in the morning is check out the weather forecast on the TV, and at the moment there is one preoccupation on all our minds, snow.

Now those of you from cold wintry places like Canada, parts of the USA and Scandinavia etc are used to snow, you run your cities and transportation systems all year round with hardly a problem and make your way stoically through 50 ft snowdrifts, but us Brits well we have to contend with a transportation system that is not only massively overpriced but is also stopped in its tracks by an inch of snow, and sometimes just by the prospect of snow and a little bit of ice.

Still that brings us Brits onto another subject we like talking about, that’s called ‘rip-off’ Britain, what this basically means is that our cost of living is frankly ridiculous, everything here is expensive, housing, gas, electricity, travel and the weekly shopping bill. But one thing is for sure even though we gripe about our Islands we do love them.

I thought I’d ramble on about games for a while.

Rome II

Does the mere mention of that title whet your appetite?

Personally it’s about the only PC game I’m looking forward to getting this year, but that shouldn’t be a surprise on a site that’s dedicated to the franchise! Still it’s a great reason to think about investing in a new laptop, well here’s hoping anyway.

These days I don’t have a lot of time for gaming I’m either working or writing, if I do game it tends to be on Football Manager, Crusader Kings 2 and of course all things total war. I’ve downloaded lots of mods in my time but I always seem to come back to Invasio Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum and Stainless Steel.

At the moment I’m playing as Portsmouth in FM12, as you can imagine a pretty hard challenge, somehow I managed to get my side promoted rather than relegated, using a combination of off loading the dross and shipping in a couple of ageing but still rather good players. I now face a season in the Premiership with not much money; it’s going to be pretty tough, still it’s a lot harder for the club’s fans in reality. I wish them all the best.
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; January 17, 2013 at 07:04 AM.

Citizenship - as in becoming a citizen of TWC

There has been a lot of discussion on the boards around this subject for a while now; people have different perspectives on how to achieve this worthy goal.

Some members view citizenship as pointless or even as something only awarded to those who are in the ‘in-crowd’; or, are even of the view that people have to write a fantastic mod, complete an epic AAR, take part in 900 political or philosophical discussions, all whilst riding a unicycle with an orange balanced on the end of your nose, and only then would you be judged good enough to achieve the reward on offer.

Well from my own personal experience that could not be more wrong.

To me getting the citizenship badge was a nice reward for publishing some stories, entering a few Tales of the Weeks and being (I hope) a decent and constructive poster. I never actively sought the citizenship but when approached by my would-be patron I thought why not?

Another argument that I see recycled is that it takes ages to achieve, well although I’ve been a member since 2008 I’ve only really been active since last year. When I became active my patron noticed, I applied with his backing and I got the badge on the first attempt, and I didn’t even have an orange on my nose at the time!

The other argument is that once people have achieved citizenship that they then take they’re foot of the accelerator. Well again from my own perspective and from the observations that I have made of some very active and very friendly people on the boards, this is not the case, in general if someone has been an active poster, modder or writer, once they have the badge it spurs them on to either sustain that effort or even increase it.

Personally I think that citizenship is a nice reward for contributing to the site.
    It’s a sign that people who have in the past and who continue to make this place, fun, workable and interesting have seen and appreciated your efforts.

And don’t think that the level of effort is enormous, I didn’t increase my output to get it, I just kept on with what I was doing, citizenship didn’t seem that hard to obtain to me, but then perhaps it felt that way because I was not actively seeking to obtain it, it’s still nice to have it though!
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; January 17, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Birth signs?

Is there anything to them, do people really have the typical traits of a Sagittarius, Taurus or Pisces?

Personally I don’t really believe in them, although they can make for interesting reading when you are stuck on the tube or train in the morning, and your only other alternative is to read the adverts stuck on the carriage about toothpaste, on-line dating or the latest charitable campaign that needs your cash. But do people actually give credence to this stuff? Well I guess some must do.

I mean there are 12 signs of the zodiac, so if you believe what’s printed in the newspaper of the morning every single person who shares the same birth sign will have exactly the same day? Not very likely statistically, I’m sure an astrologist would have an answer though.

Still its not very likely is it? But I still find myself on the odd occasion that I can be bothered to read a newspaper, (and that’s not often as they all read like propaganda depending on their own political perspective), still turning to the horoscopes page, after reading the sports section of course…

Thinking about horoscopes takes me neatly onto the other subject that irritates me, the so-called clairvoyants…

Ugh, the very word sends a surge of distaste to register in my brain. I’ve actually known two of these people, and all I can say is if you are thinking of going to one, please don’t. You may as well throw your money out of the window and hope that some poor soul catches it instead, at least that way you might be lucky enough to benefit from some good karma.

Now I know that some people have found comfort and solace from the information that they have been given by the ‘gifted’, especially those who have been bereaved, but quite a few (maybe nearly all?) of these ‘spiritualists’ are only in it for the cash. So be very careful if you do want to chat with one them.

On a lighter note, I do sometimes watch some of the paranormal shows that are on TV, you know the ones with a team of ‘experts’ a presenter and an infra-red camera, they are so bad they are good. Watch one of them for entertainment value and you will see what I mean!

Being an Englishman means that once more my thoughts must inevitably turn to the weather, I know what you’re thinking perhaps old Rex will ramble on about the snow and travel problems yet again….

No actually I’m thinking about umbrellas

You see the umbrella presents an age old dilemma to the average Englishman of the 21st century, the dilemma being should I carry one to protect me from the elements, or as a friend of mine says, ‘they’re for girls, just get wet.’

Now I can see his viewpoint quite clearly the average working class Englishman would not bother with an umbrella or brolly unless there was a torrential thunderstorm outside, and even then some hardy blokes will still go outside with a t-shirt on, however these men are mostly Geordies.

But the issues don’t stop there, there is the issue of size, colour etc, if its too big it makes you look like you’re compensating for something else or that you work in banking or that you like to play golf at the weekends (nothing wrong with that, but those massive brollies invariably poke other pedestrians eyes out as you saunter along obliviously)…and if its not black then its just not manly, and do not ever go for one with patterns on.

Then there is the crux of the problem, class.

Not shall I pay out £70 for a brolly cause’ it has a nice label on, oh no, the real issue is, if I carry a brolly then does it make me middle class, I mean you never see a blue collar worker with a brolly, have you ever seen a builder carry one?

And that means if you’re like me and from a long line of working class manliness, the moment you wield this instrument of weather-proofing that you have crossed the line into middle class effeminacy…and your mates won’t let you forget it.

So the next time you reach for that brolly stop and think about it…

Today I finally had some inspiration, so I have posted chapter 41 of the ‘Tale of Rome’, I must admit I was beginning to despair of doing an update but over a month since the last I have done it!

Yeah!

Maybe I’m through the block now? Who knows!

Normally I have a burst of creativity and so a few chapters may be imminent….I hope.

What do you like in an AAR?

I had an interesting conversation with a friend about AARs and what they actually are?

Meaning?

Well an After Action Report that is, he was of the view that an AAR should be exactly that, just a break down of the game play with a little narrative and characterization thrown in. As far as he is concerned the growth of the more novel/novella/book style narrative had almost turned him away from reading the genre.

My argument is that there is room for both; after all some readers like a nice meaty read to get there teeth into whilst others prefer a screen shot heavy AAR with only some underpinning text explaining plot and tactical reasoning – some like a mixture of both.

So what do you think?

I don’t believe I’m an expert, after all I’ve never even written an AAR, though I have been tempted, but I’d always felt that the game leads the plot and you had less room for imaginative plot development, but then after reading some of the great AARs that are around I figured that was a pretty narrow minded viewpoint.

Maybe I will write one day…
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; January 24, 2013 at 08:09 AM.

Following on from yesterday's flow of inspiration, I’ve updated my new story ‘March for God’ today with chapter three; the story itself is set during the lead up and during the first crusade.

I’ve tried a little experiment today and used a little Italian in the text, let me know what you think, if you follow the story that is!

Should I stay or should I go? Or the story of a very British dilemma…

Of course it had to be mentioned.

Does Britain stay in Europe are does it leave.

Well let’s face it we’ve always regarded ourselves as a little different or special; of course if you’re a mainland European you might think we are just a little odd.

Or that we want all the best bits of Europe without the bad bits.

Well wouldn’t you? If you’re French, German or whatever wouldn’t you like the best bits without the bad bits too? Perhaps if Britain does get its own way and it only has to stick to the bits of the treaty it wants then it will stay in.

But how long will it be before other countries clamour for the same deal?

We have some interesting times ahead.

This is the first time in a very long time that I have had an urge to write something other than work related material.

I’ve been flat out for months now….now I know what you’re thinking I shouldn’t be complaining there are millions out of work etc…

Yes I totally agree.

But it’s against human nature not to complain isn’t it, well my nature anyway.

A few moments ago I was sitting at my desk after yet another meeting followed by yet another piece of technical material that I had to put together and I had the sudden impulse to write something else.

Else

Not funny, not technical, not fictional, not even that interesting, just something else and this is it.

Great isn’t it?!

Well I know its not, but for those of you who have wanted my return to these beloved boards and for those of you who thought thank god the old boy has moved off to annoy somebody else…..sorry, but I’m back.

The Sun’s back and with it so am I.

For some reason my writing had just dried up, now I could just blame work, which has been manically busy, but in all honestly it’s not that straight forward.

I lost the impulse, the impulse to write, the inspiration to put a string of words together, even my characters that had always managed to keep my interest no longer made me feel like spinning a plot.

So here’s my ‘plan’ for want of a better word, I’m going to start a new story. I don’t know whether it’s going to be long, short, good or bad but I’m starting afresh.

Now for those of you who have read Tale of Rome or one of my other works and you hope to see a finish of those tales, I will at some point get back to them with an ending. But at the moment I want to write something new.

So creative writing section you may see something from me a little different in the next few days….

Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...Well, its been months since my last update...I have been busy...what can I say.I know you have all heard it before!Well I do hope to be a little more active; partly this is due to the sparkling reviews of my work in CQ39 for which I am very grateful, and partly due to me finally finding some time to post!But mostly its down to the 'server 500' message finally letting me post in peace!So I may be posting again, a little story here or there...we shall see.

Finally, finally, finally.

Finally....got you guessing???

Well the 'finallies' are all about Tale of Rome, at last I have written an update for it!

Maybe just maybe I will write a little more in coming weeks, but don't hold me to it, RL has a habit of distracting me!

Rex

I have updated 'To March for God' today, I was very pleased with the chapter so please check it out and let me know what you think if you get the chance. I couldn't believe that it had been nine months between updates!

Its great that the site is now firing on all cylinders once more and that I'm also able to have a little free time to post. I have missed writing immensely, as for months now I have been fully preoccupied with my working life. To me there is nothing quite like writing, I know that I'm not the most talented writer, nor the most educated, but I do love to write and I hope that comes across in my pieces here on the boards.

This week's update of a Tale of Rome was a milestone moment; I had finally reached the end of the story, at least in terms of book one of a planned series of three???

My flurry of activity continues, for today I posted this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-updated-06-11 its another metal tale.

For those of you who have not read them they are stories normally along the horror, supernatural or science fiction lines. Although today's tale is slightly different, there is horror in there.

I would love to have some feedback, so if you have read any of my work and have any comments, good, bad or indifferent please let me know.

Rex

Today, after another mammoth hiatus that had affected by productivity, I finally managed to update 'A Whale Riders Journey'; for those who have not read it, its based in the 8-9th cenenturies during the times of viking raiding.

As always I would love to have some feedback, so if you have read any of my work and have any comments, good, bad or indifferent please let me know.

For those of you who are tempted to write, but never quite get around to it, give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised with what you come up with. Then you can post on here and annoy people too!

Rex

A very quick post today, I penned a sci-fi tale called 'Sky Demon' back in July, I have finally updated it!

Check out the creative writing section, you will find it lurking there.

And have a great weekend too.

Rex

And Lo, let Christmas begin....part I

Well the Christmas season is upon us with a real vengeance now; everywhere you go your ears are assaulted by cheery Christmas tunes, by far the worst selection of musical Christmas fare served up to me so far this season was in a card shop on Sunday.

It was puketastically awful.

In fact it was so bad I left my wife to shop without me, while I waited outside, giving the evil eye to anybody who dared to look enthused at the tortuous din that was being played from the inside of the shop.

Still, it did achieve something; it made me start thinking about some plotlines for stories to come, so I suppose you can say the muse can strike from the most unwanted of musical inspirations.

Plus all the Christmas shopping has now been done; and what’s more if the internet has ever done something positive it’s to prevent me from having to hit the stores to buy a load of unwanted crap for people who don’t want it in the first place. At least now I can get said crap posted to me direct from the comfort of my sofa while I drink tea and eat chocolate biscuits.

So I have now decided to post on a Christmas theme for everyday that remains of this year, who knows where that will take us, but at least when you read this you can congratulate yourself for having a superior Christmas to old Rex here.
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 20, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast