Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] The Antes

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Icon2 [Preview] The Antes

The Antes

Antes

The Antes, or Antae are one of the more mysterious peoples of the world of Late Antiquity, to the extent that we do not even know which century their confederation emerged in. Jordanes is the first to record a people called the Antes, battling against the Goths on the steppes of modern Ukraine prior to the arrival of the Huns in the 370s AD, but it is just possible that references in the second century AD work of the geographer Ptolemy may mention ancestral groups to the Antes. What we do know for sure is that by the 520sAD they had formed a fairly powerful tribal confederation around the north western coast of the Black Sea, and had entered into an alliance with the Roman Empire.

The next mystery of the Antes is their ethnicity. The issue has been greatly muddied by historians from the eighteenth century on being very keen to claim the Antes as their own direct ancestors- hence various Slavic nationalists asserting very plainly that the Antes were certainly Sclavenes, and the greatest of the Sclavenic groups at that. A Sclavenic element of Antian culture seems probable enough, but the picture was probably more complex than that- linguists have suggested that their name sounds distinctly Iranian, perhaps linking the Antes to the ethnically Iranian Alans or Sarmatians. The current historical consensus is that the Antes of the sixth century AD were probably made up of a mixed Sclaveno-Iranian elite ruling over a primarily Sclavenic population, although it is just possible (and has been proposed by historians) that the Antes could actually have had their roots in the Germanic peoples who inhabited the northern Black Sea in the third and fourth centuries AD- certainly, the Crimean Gothic people who finally disappeared sometime around the year 1600 sung songs celebrating the victories of an Antian king named Boz. In all probability, though, an Sclaveno-Iranian background to the Antes seems more likely than not.

If, as is probable, the Antes of the sixth century were largely Sclavenic, they certainly seem to have been one of the largest and most sophisticated groups, possibly due to their alliance with Constantinople, which certainly provided to them advantages that were beyond the reach of other Sclavenic groups- Roman subsidies, for example, and even Roman frontier forts, such as that at Turris, north of the Danube, which was passed over to them by Justinian around 540. This wealth and stability allowed the Antes to develop urban settlements that are not known well for other very early proto-Slavic groups. When compared to the great cities of the Fertile Crescent, Antian towns would certainly have looked small and squalid, but their very existence set the Antes apart.

Archaeologists tend to attribute to the Antes small towns of between ten and forty houses, which are partially built underground, with a central hearth. Some of these are surrounded by defensive fortifications which quite possibly were of Roman influence, since Antes would have fought alongside the Roman army many a time. Recent discoveries in what is now the Ukraine have suggested that the Antes could have built some quite large and sophisticated fortress towns, but as ever, the archaeology is shaky, and prone to misinterpretation.

The overall picture of the Antes, though, faint though it is, is of a moderately prosperous and successful people, who had carved out a secure home for themselves in a turbulent land. With Roman attention now returning to the area the Antes' old alliance could yet bring them richer rewards than ever before.

Officers

Captain |||| King |||| General

The Units

Spear Levies

Spear Levies

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Their precarious position between the Roman Empire and the Great Eurasian steppes has given the Antes slightly more experience than most “barbarians” at dealing with cavalry warfare. It should therefore come as no surprise that spears are prevalent amongst their basic warriors. Spear levies are mildly better off than their axe-wielding counterparts and can afford somewhat better shields and more time away from scratching a living to hone their skills in battle. They are capable, just about, of facing down a less determined enemy attack.

Axe Levies

Axe Levies

The very poor in Antian society can only equip themselves for war with the most simple weaponry. The axe would be something that the majority of men would have had, for simple jobs around the farm like killing animals and woodcutting. The axe can also be quite an effective killer of men, and even hardened warriors may flinch at an axe coming towards them. It should be remembered, though, that these men are too poor to be able to afford anything but the simplest shield, let alone armour, and they will easily cut and run should the going get tough in battle.

Antian Skirmishers

Antian Skirmishers

Another useful division of Antian light infantry are the skirmishers, who are particularly effective against slow moving infantry formations, peppering them with javelins. They are fast moving and can easily evade lumbering armoured footsoldiers. The trade-off for this is their extraordinary vulnerability if cornered- unarmoured and equipped with only the most basic weaponry, they will quickly be butchered if caught.

Light Spearmen

Light Spearmen

Somewhat of an intermediate class between raw levies and the heavy warrior elite, these men can afford decent shields and solid spears, and tend to be more experienced and courageous in battle than levies. Nonetheless, they can be swept aside by a determined cavalry force, and lack heavy armour, making them fairly easy prey for cavalry archers. They can certainly fight if given the chance, but require backup from missile and mounted troops.

Antian Archers

Antian Archers

Though the Antes, settled in their prosperous towns, villages and hill forts, are some way distant from their barbaric Slavic ancestors, the use of the bow for hunting game is still an important skill for the average peasant to have, no matter how prosperous his neat farm may be. Antian bowmen are skilled at supporting light infantry in raids and ambushes, but their total lack of armour means that under no circumstances should they be expected to fight hand-to-hand against enemy soldiers of any sort.

Armoured Spearmen

Armoured Spearmen

The Antes have been allied to the Roman Empire for the better part of a century, and it is no surprise that amongst their wealthier warriors, Roman armour and arms are highly sought after. These heavy spearmen are well able to see off all but the most ferocious cavalry attackers, and are armed with Roman-style armour and helmets too, to limit the damage caused by horse archers. While it would be unwise to rely on them totally in battle, these infantry form a solid and dependable base for any Antian army to operate around.

Antian Cavalry

Antian Cavalry

It is in their cavalry that the Antes really stand out as a people marked by the experience of dealing with the empires around them. Unlike the Slavs, Gepids or Lombards, the Antes have been able to preserve their independence partly through developing their own decent skills as mounted warriors. These horsemen are clearly influenced by both Roman and Avar practise, and are armed with long lances, making them devastating in a charge. They lack heavy armour, meaning they should not be used for long in combat, and are best utilised to break up enemy infantry formations and drive away harassing horse archers.

Horse Archers

Horse Archers

A major factor in the survival (for now, at least) of the Antes has been their willingness to imitate successful battlefield ideas from their Roman and nomadic neighbours. Antian horse archers are part of this trend. Slogging infantrymen are frequently vulnerable to swift horse archers and so it is unsurprising that when surrounded by armies using them, the Antes have developed missile cavalry of their own. These men are capable cavalry, with units made up of a mixture of ethnic Antes and a ragbag of steppe peoples. While perhaps not equal to the best Avar missile cavalry, these horsemen are more formidable than anything any other "barbarian" power on the Danube can come up with.

Antian Bodyguards

Antian Bodyguards

These men represent the pinnacle of Antian society, and it is no surprise that they should choose invest their vast wealth in imitating the elite heavy cavalry of the Roman Empire. There is little to distinguish the bodyguard of an Antian general from the very best horsemen of either the Romans or the Avars. Beautifully armoured, brave and skilled, these horsemen are capable of turning the tide of battle in favour of the Antes, if used at the right moment. Their only weakness is their limited number- a wise general will only commit them to battle when absolutely necessary!

Battle Shots
    Antes vs Avari

Credits

Deutschland - Mod Leader - Alkimachos
    Alkimachos - Unit Models
    Pseudo-Methodios - Senior Historian
    Giorgios - Junior Historian and writer

The Byzantine - 2D Art
    TGC Team - Horses and various other stuffs

Last edited by Alkimachos; January 17, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [Preview] The Antes

Wow!!! Marvellous!!!!

This is a piece of solid work of you guys. But still I feel kind a need for whining I miss some unique atmosphere here, I mean those are The Antes and the units names are English... I would request more unique unit names if I was allowed Also you have some nice unit concepts but I wish your rosters were bigger. I guess your limited roster size is an important element of unique EoR gameplay but I can't help it, I love abundance Anyway congrats for another nice preview and thank you for progressing EoR mod so nicely

CReSTo's Avatar Civis

İmpressive work guys,congratz.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Awesome work! Congrats!

glaude1955's Avatar Libertus

Superbe.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

That was a very beautiful and informative preview of a group that history tells us so little about. You guys really did a great job of taking lemons and turning them into lemonade so the expression goes.

The unit names could be a little bit more creative however, just to give the faction more uniqueness. Why not "Antean Cavalry" as opposed to just "Cavalry?"
    Last edited by Darios; January 17, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    This is a piece of solid work of you guys. But still I feel kind a need for whining I miss some unique atmosphere here, I mean those are The Antes and the units names are English... I would request more unique unit names if I was allowed Also you have some nice unit concepts but I wish your rosters were bigger. I guess your limited roster size is an important element of unique EoR gameplay but I can't help it, I love abundance Anyway congrats for another nice preview and thank you for progressing EoR mod so nicely
    Thank you.

I don't know why we didn't care this. Anyway, it will be changed that. About the roster, we made it smaller in order to release a beta version sooner. In time, we will add more unique units and other features too.

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

mayotte's Avatar Civis

Really nice !!!

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Very interesting!

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    This is a piece of solid work of you guys. But still I feel kind a need for whining I miss some unique atmosphere here, I mean those are The Antes and the units names are English... I would request more unique unit names if I was allowed
    Alkimachos has explained the small roster, and I'll just say this now- given we don't even know what language the Antes were speaking, it's pretty difficult to give them unique unit names, sadly!

How about something like Antean Cavalry then?

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    How about something like Antean Cavalry then?
    I already did that my friend. You can check it if you wish...

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

Well done mate)

I am officially very excited about this mod. I am a huge fan of the Roman empire, but once the mod is released, I'm definitely going to be playing first as the Antes or the Avari. You guys are doing a great job!

I guess if I ask approximately when will the mod be released I should expect an answer such as "Once we are ready" right?)
    Last edited by Darios; January 18, 2013 at 01:59 AM.

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

Great preview, eagerly looking forward to release!!!
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

I can't wait!

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

fantastic work!!!!keep up the good work mates

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I guess if I ask approximately when will the mod be released I should expect an answer such as "Once we are ready" right?)
    You would be right to expect that answer!

But, I will be a bit less of a tease, and say that, as you can all now see, we only have one roster still to make, and progress is rapidly being made on that one. After that, we'll be BETA-testing, to iron out niggling little CTDs and stuff- the game is basically playable, with descriptions, armies, buildings, new scripts, etc ingame.

I could be wrong here, easily. But I think there's a good possibility you'll see a release before Easter, and that it's almost certain the DL campaign will be out before the summer.

We'll be recruiting beta testers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    I could be wrong here, easily. But I think there's a good possibility you'll see a release before Easter, and that it's almost certain the DL campaign will be out before the summer.
    Excellent! I will definietelly try EoR out! Better prepare it well as the expectactions are really big

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Excellent work! .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast