Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Thread!

Default Re: Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Thread!

Another fix!

Version 2.5
    -Corrected some minor armour calculations
    -Corrected settlement growth messages

DOWNLOAD LINK (Released 2/25/2015) NEW!
    Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.5
    Visit the first page in the thread for the download link.

Redownload and reunpack into the same location overwriting all files...

Save games are 100% compatible.

Good games everyone!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 08, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

IN HELLENIC FASHION!
    (Rome is conquered...)

Macedon

Hard/Hard
    Long Campaign

An update on my Macedonian campaign.

My beast of an empire...

Here is where I train what I call my "Gold Bows"...

Bronze Bows, Silver Bows, Gold Bows.

Since Athens has deposits of Iron... With the right buildings I am able to create these improved "Bows + Arrows" that deal 10 Missile Attack Damage as a base WITHOUT EXPERIENCE!

27 more regions to go...

Good games everyone.

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 05, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

by iLeeT_PeeP

SSaS Version 2.5 pulled offline!!

SSaS Version 2.6 coming very soon!!

Good games everyone...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 04, 2015 at 02:01 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

SSaS undergoes a MAJOR update I had been working on!

Version 2.6
    -Implemented new culture specific campaign map music
    -Added shrine bonus descriptions
    -Added in one new surprise type mercenary
    -Modified parthian starting armies
    -Retagged all mercenary units
    -Slightly increased founding settlement happiness bonuses
    -Improved graphics on world map in faction selection screen
    -Corrected all mercenary ack sounds
    -Buffed up rebel settlements to make them seem more faction-like
    -Buffed up some rebel army compositions
    -Corrected some rebel settlement cultures
    -Slightly modified roman starting armies
    -Improved eastern general armour calculation mathematically
    -New system in place for mercenary costs
    -Corrected all rebel sounds
    -A few other unmentioned fixes/changes

DOWNLOAD LINK (Released 3/4/2015) NEW!
    Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.6

It may be best to remove all traces of SSaS before installing this new version.

Save games are no longer compatible, and a new campaign will have to be restarted in order to properly take advantage of the new features poured into SSaS Version 2.6.

SSaS is thoroughly tested so play your campaign's with ease. However, it is intended to be used in a sole manner and is not tested with any other mods in conjunction.

Good games everyone!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 08, 2015 at 09:03 PM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Another improvement!

Version 2.7
    -Further enhanced mercenary concepts

DOWNLOAD LINK (Released 3/8/2015) NEW!
    Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.7

Redownload and reunpack into the same location overwriting all files...

Save games are not compatible.

Good games everyone!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 09, 2015 at 09:05 PM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

PeeP's RTW TIPS!
    (Where are those blueprints...)

Let me share with you all a helpful tip.

Tip #2
    Building Browser Model

This tip is going to be in the form of an image.

It displays for you all, a very basic building browser model I have created in the hopes of helping newcomers along...

The Model

While there is an exception or two to the rule, this pretty much summarizes the building concepts in SSaS.

Good games to all!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 12, 2015 at 12:49 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Why are Dacia and Scithya exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Kitten View Post
    Why are Dacia and Scithya exceptions?
    Hello Kirila.

Well, Scythia for example, actually gets "Horse Archers" or "Cavalry" in that Light Infantry slot.

There are a few other exceptions to that BB Model... but not many.

Good games!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; March 14, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

I like this mod too, and I have subscribed to this thread almost at the very beginning of SSaS development. Thank you very much for sharing your work, iLeet_Peep!
    By the way you definitely should play some others "modern" "vanilla-styled" mods like, for example, Rome Total History. It has very pleasant features such as detailed strategy map, balanced factions starting position, amazing complex family tree and lots of new 2D graphics for enjoyable stratmap experience: buildings, ancillaries and other stuff.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Yay! That's amazing mod, I like the balance in last version very much. However, you definitely should tweak movement points so armies can march further in the campaign. Realize: one turn is half year in this game. Six months... I may give you an example from my personal experience. Last year I have a pilgrimage in Belarus, from Baranovichi to Budslav. It's 273 km ve cross in 9 days - so average 30 km in a day, and we still have a lot of rest, much more than soldiers could have in a force march. In your mod, armies can barely move 200 km in a half year period, it's just ridiculous, even when we keep in mind it's ancient times and there weren't any good roads around. So, I tweaked movement points to 240 from 80 and now the campaign is going perfectly.
    A screenshot of my Iberia progress on Hard/Hard:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I fought all battles myself, didn't autoresolve, and didn't hire any mercenaries, because they are too expensive. Slingers showed the best performance in this campaign, even better than generals bodyguards. Actually, they did most of the kills. All my settlements are very small: in Gaul they only have 400-500 population, and in Iberia around 1500-2500. Really love such way of playing RTW, taking care of population, slow growing and developing. Big battles are rare event, at least yet. Britons seems to have only one "stack" around, and they are now besieging Alesia. However, they are lead by silly captain, not family member, and that would be easy to deal with them.
    Last edited by Lanjane; October 08, 2019 at 08:10 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

As expected, briton horde was totally vanquished

The battle itself was mainly a series of skirmishes, as my slingers and cavalry harassed them heavily while my main forces and reinforcements from Alesia slowly outmanevered their position on the hill. The critical moment was when one group of their chariots suddenly attacked my isolated squad of iberian infantry. I'm curious how my men managed to survive this charge as they routed the chariots! Britons then decided to retreat, but too late, as my own united charge of all my troops didn't leave them any chance to survive that day.
    So... The next turn I'm going to make is to take all british towns on the continent, to isolate them on the island, then leave a small garrison in Gaul to repell any posiible threat from german tribes, and invade Cisalpine Gaul.

**Later**
    The situation in Italy is desperate. As soon as I attacked remaining gauls there, Julii started siege of Narbo Martius - they get there by sea. Another roman army cut my supply line to Massilia, and Scipii joined as well. Just look at this mess!

P. S. > Hmm, maybe british chariots need some armor? Because ingame model suggests so.

P. P. S. > I attached my savegame to this post if anybody wishes to play this interesting situation. And my file descr_character.txt with increased movement too. Drag&drop to SSaS/data.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lanjane; October 08, 2019 at 08:14 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

The Chariots are (weirdly enough) supposed to be so. You must not let them stay in fight or vulnerable to archers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post

P. S. > Hmm, maybe british chariots need some armor? Because ingame model suggests so.

The way the game is written... That 0 armour value actually does not reflect the "passengers" of the chariot...

The riders on the chariot have proper armour values as their in-game models suggest based on mathematics and a complex/organized system that I wrote up and drew out...

I triple check my work.

However, of course, the possibility of a bug existing is there even for the most extreme perfectionist.

This however, is not one and there is not one present.

All is in order.

Very nice work on that Iberian campaign!

I have never played with HUGE unit sizes.

Roman "columns" if you can call them that were in sticks of 80 and not 160.

I guess I just got used to playing with LARGE unit sizes and have never changed it or bothered to try it with HUGE.

Also, if you want a TOUGH challenge... Try the Gaul campaign on Hard/Hard.

I have attempted and failed it 3 times... It is a tough one!

The Iberians are only "semi-barbarian"

I really enjoy the challenge the mod offers.

*Also feel free to share any future campaigns with us... I rather enjoy reading up on it as I am sure others will as well...

Good luck and good games to all!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Hi, iLeeT_PeeP!
    Here is the last picture from my iberian campaign:

I think the main challenge in this campaign is over since I've totally destroyed two best armies in the game - the SPQR ones, and conquered Rome. The future seems nice and easy for me, since now I can train Bull Warriors there.
    If you want to know how did I beat golden hastati and principes on HARD... Well, that battle near Arretium was one of the toughest battles I ever have in RTW. Truly heroic! The field was plain like a table, and offered no advantages for my army. Here is what I have: 3 slingers (silver, 4-5 chevrons), 4 peltasts (3 chevrons each), 4 generals bodyguards (8, 6, 3, 2 ch.), 4 mirmillo gladiators (with silver weapon upgrade from Alesia), one mercenary archer warband and remaining slots filled with decently experienced "meat shield" - iberian infantry.
    I have all my troops concentrated in one corner of the map, so romans get very tired when they reach my positions there. Then I quickly killed their general and started to rout their units one by one, the tactics was to pin and distract them with mirmillos (very tough guys, their armor is so good and they have two hitpoints!) and iberian fodder, and to shoot them badly from flanks and rear with slingers and peltasts. Slingers are best solution for such long battles, much better than archers, since they have 40 projectiles each, and archers only 30 (as a result, 6400 ammo vs 4800 on huge settings), and slinger bullets are somewhat more effective against armor, even if technically they don't have "ap" attribute. And the peltasts... They don't effectively kill, but their volleys offer a VERY good drop of an enemy morale. So, with luck and trick, fighting in such dishonourable way (romans don't deserve honour anyways), I defeated them. My losses were mainly iberians killed by roman pilums, some generals bodyguards and some slingers which weren't careful enough to run away from pilums too.
    Gauls you say? I can try them, but are you sure? They have amazing forester warbands, naked fanatics, noble cavalry... So many good units compared to poor Iberia. That means easier campaign, or I'm not right?
    Last edited by Lanjane; October 08, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Gauls you say? I can try them, but are you sure? They have amazing forester warbands, naked fanatics, noble cavalry... So many good units compared to poor Iberia. That means easier campaign, or I'm not right?
    Hah. You will see...

Nice work on conquering Rome with the Iberians!

Good games!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Oh my, the gallic campaign is very tough indeed! So many little strategic decisions to make, and so many possible mistakes to avoid. The briton threat, the lazy iberian bull sleeping behind cold Pyrenean mountains, and finally, bold, stubborn romans. That's what I call a challenge! Thank you, iLeeT PeeP, for this!
    A picture of my current progress:

As you can see, the fate of my so-callen empire is to be decided on Iberian peninsula. Once again, a fragile position. I staked my all there to conquer all Iberia or die. You need to be agressive with gauls, if you want to be successful early on.
    Last edited by Lanjane; October 08, 2019 at 08:16 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Are you sure your playing on H/H without cheating!?

If so, nice work!

I think a future "Let's Play" from you is in order!

Amazing...

Good games!

-iLeeT_PeeP

EDIT - Try playing on LARGE unit sizes...
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Yes of course I play without any cheats, and on H/H.
    The only difference from "pure" SSaS is in movement points, I already mentioned this a few posts above. In my installation I tweaked the distance armies can cross in one turn. Such tweak was a vital part for me. The other things like the balance, costs, starting armies etc. - remained unchanged. And you can see on my screens that cities and map textures look different from vanilla - that's because I use dolfi's graphic minimod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4130). That's all.
    There are many reasons why I always choose huge, not large unit scale. On huge, battles are more epic. Cavalry are somewhat nerfed a bit because you can always suppress cav with numbers: wider formation, more men. Missile units get an advantage because of more ammo total. It's harder to maneuver because of not very clever pathfinding, but at the same time easier to give orders since your tactical mistakes are easier to fix. Etc. etc. And with campaign, especially yours, playing on Huge gives additional, critical challenge named Depleted Population. You need to be much more careful with casualties and more focused on growing your settlements since it is so important for your survival.

P. S. > Could you please explain that string?
    -Adjusted game mechanics to neutralize grain bug
    Last edited by Lanjane; April 08, 2015 at 03:11 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Yes of course I play without any cheats, and on H/H.
    The only difference from "pure" SSaS is in movement points, I already mentioned this a few posts above. In my installation I tweaked the distance armies can cross in one turn. Such tweak was a vital part for me. The other things like the balance, costs, starting armies etc. - remained unchanged. And you can see on my screens that cities and map textures look different from vanilla - that's because I use dolfi's graphic minimod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4130). That's all.
    There are many reasons why I always choose huge, not large unit scale. On huge, battles are more epic. Cavalry are somewhat nerfed a bit because you can always suppress cav with numbers: wider formation, more men. Missile units get an advantage because of more ammo total. It's harder to maneuver because of not very clever pathfinding, but at the same time easier to give orders since your tactical mistakes are easier to fix. Etc. etc. And with campaign, especially yours, playing on Huge gives additional, critical challenge named Depleted Population. You need to be much more careful with casualties and more focused on growing your settlements since it is so important for your survival.

P. S. > Could you please explain that string?
    no.

EDIT - Tweak yer unit sizes... You might find yourself in a more challenging simulation.

Good games.

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; April 08, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

"No"? Well, that was unexpectedly rude of you.
    Anyways, I figured it out myself. Can't appreciate such strange behavior though.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices