Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XVI - 05/30)

Default Re: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XIII - 04/18)

Excessive brutality? A very moving chapter, but I can't help but feel Abel's growing a darker side by the day.

+rep
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XIII - 04/18)

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    Excessive brutality? A very moving chapter, but I can't help but feel Abel's growing a darker side by the day.
    Darker, and tormented. Perhaps it's the life he's been thrust into. Not quite what he had imagined it to be, I suppose.

Chapter XIV

The current situation, before the government advance on the junction.

XIV - Calm Before The Storm

It had been quiet since the night Henry, and Leon, had been exposed. Rumors spread in the camp, as they likely would through a bunch of youths. Abel's respect doubled that night, in most everyone's eyes. He was feared. Not a boy in the camp was left to contest, or have the audacity to attempt to deceive him. His core had been built, through calculated maneuvers, stemming from the first day of officers training, over six months earlier.

His leadership core had been assembled, and the strengths, and weaknesses of all the regular youth troops had been identified, and each squad was as balanced as possible, based on their overall abilities. No one squad could fully outdo another now. The

"You little bastard," Innocent said, staring down Grady.

"Two nudey mags, and a pack and a half of smokes. What next? My trousers? The use of my cock?"

Grady laughed, hauling in the chips, along as plucking the pack of smokes from the center of the table. Remy placed his cards down, and grabbed his open beer, he spun the bottle, and picked it up for a last gulp to finish it off. He wasn't one for losing in a card game, being the epitome of sore loser that he was. Toddric dropped his cards, and pulled a cigarette from behind his ear, lighting it, and taking a drag.

"Enjoy it while it lasts, Toddy." Grady had never seemed happier, speaking boldly. "I will be taking all what you three have left by the night's end."

He turned to Remy. "Must chap your ass to see me win again tonight. Lady luck came to me tonight, Rem," he smiled slyly.

"What can ya do ma'n. Ya win some, ya lose some. Jus' grate'fo I win more den not." Remy shakes his empty beer bottle, then tosses it over his shoulder, into the bush. He leans back, itching his head, clearly losing interest for more poker that night.

"Cheat." Innocent uttered, under his breath.

Grady looked up, his expression turned from glee to cross. "What did you say?"

"I think ya heard me, bro." Innocent replied.

Grady stood up, leaning over the table, his fists clenched, used to support his lean. "You got a pretty mouth on you, it'd be a shame to break some of those teeth, wouldn't it?"

Innocent got up, he was indeed larger than Grady, yet had the temperament to restrain himself, in most cases. "Ya gonna do something about it, boy?"

Just then, Silas came from the darkness, walking up the steps onto the porch. He stopped, hesitating to proceed. The tension could be cut with a knife at that moment. He glared at Innocent, the bigger of the two, and back to the young, but fiery-tongued Grady. He knocked on the porch beam, shattering the tension.

Both boys got the message, and seated themselves.

"I suppose the game's over. It's well passed midnight, now. I'm not your daddy, but I suggest you all retire for the night, as training starts early. If you can't keep up with your squads, then what good will you be to the brigade? Get now, not another word from any of you lot." Silas said sharply.

He looked over to Remy, who was getting up, pushing his chair back in to the table, he fixed his camouflage vest, and was reaching for his ray bans. "Rem, a moment, once the rest depart."

Remy nodded, stepping back, resting idly on the porch rail, the others all departing without another word, all avoiding contact with one another.

Silas waited until all the boys had left. He looked at Remy, his disposition was very queer. "The government is mobilizing. Reports from the north show they are dispatching a convoy from Yonibana, headed south, to Bunkababi."

"Ah st, man." Remy says, looking down to the porch floor. "But, we beat them out of this place, we can beat them when they get here too, man."

Silas shook his head. "Na-na, bro. They have armor this time. Reserve tanks, from the former regime. Half a dozen, maybe. About two hundred soldiers. That's just our earliest estimate."

"What's Abel going ta do 'bout it?"

"All that he can, I imagine. He's been talking to high command, on a direct line throughout the night. They're pretty sure this is the army aimed to retake the junction. Strasser's regime has given the boot to lazy, fat field commanders, and it's said he ordered it himself to get these plans underway. There's division, whether to hold, or flee."

"St brah, we got to leave. Dere ain't no choice in da matter."

"The contrary, Rem. We are staying. Abel's committed to this. We've requested RPG's, and more explosive support from Lungi, and other camps in the region. There's no other way. The barriers will only prevent the government for a short time. We'll lose a lot of boys, one way or another, it's inevitable." Silas said, turning to spit into the bush.

Remy leaned back, lowering himself, hanging onto the rail with both arms hooked over it. "Fk, brah. When dey expect it?"

"Three days, at the earliest. We're supposed to be getting reinforcements from Lungi, and other camps in the south. It's going to be a brutal fight."

"Is Abel still conferencing with them?"

"No. He's hit the hay for the night. Tomorrow we gotta be up early for final preps."

The two boys parted ways, back to their quarters, as the camp slept, some would most certainly not sleep easy...

THE NEXT MORNING

Bright and early, the courtyard was full, training started earlier than usual. Not a boy in the camp was not on sentry, or training by this point. The sun had shown, in the distance, much of the wooded camp, still concealed beneath a blanket of shadow, due to the forestation that swallowed the junction.

Abel stood in front of the troops, Silas directly beside him. The officers stood in front of their squads.

"It has come to my attention, that the government seeks to retake the junction. The tedious, but necessary training has bottled to this point. We have an ultimatum before us, gentlemen." Abel scoured the troops, back and forth, looking down the lines.

"We live, or we die. It's that simple, when broken down. I don't know about you, but I prefer to live. We have done all of our training, and prepared for this moment for four months. Our forces have dwindled since we took this junction. All of you served beside me, when we took this from the government many months ago. I ask you now, all of you. I ask will you now serve under me, beside me, as we defend what we fought so hard to take?" He rose his hand to silence them, before they spoke, as he continued his speech.

"I know some of you might still be indifferent to the situation, trusting me as your lead, but I have studied this terrain, and fortified this town to the best of my abilities. We are ready for this. I need each, and every one of you in this. Do this, and we will win." He paused, looking about them. "I cannot guarantee you all will live, in fact, I know that we will suffer losses. But, we are fighting a war. A revolution. This revolution is to free our country of military dictator after military dictator. The army is corrupted. It's infected with greed. The government, infected. Poisoned by their greedy masters in Europe, and the Americas. No more. No longer will this happen. The war is progressing, and the R.U.F. is winning. We will succeed. And you are all a part of this. This victory will solidify our legacy here, our greatness. Your greatness. All of your names will be remembered, cherished, enshrined. One day, they will sing songs of our victories here. We are destined for greatness, all of us." He had clearly been embellishing tremendously, by this point, but being that all his audience were young boys, to teenagers, they were easily convinced of the truth of his words.

"Stand with me. Fight with me. Win.. With me," he finished the speech, swallowing the built up knot in his throat.

*Cheers, cheers, cheers, rang loudly throughout the courtyard*

The boys raised their arms and cheered in solidarity with their new leader. Abel had bolstered their morale, and ensured a steady force for the defense of the junction. It was clear, however, most of these boys will inevitably die in this battle. The superior government force was well equipped, trained, and led.

"Stand with me! For the hand that tries to silence us, shall be swiftly cut down!"

The cheers had grown louder, now aided with chants. "Able. Able. Able. Able." He cared not for their lack of addressing him by his rank, at this moment. He had unified his troops, finally, under one commander.

"Dismissed. Get some chow. Don't be light on the rations, gentlemen," he said, smiling.

As the boys departed, Silas remained in close proximity, with Abel. The officers all closed in, surrounding Abel.

"Use the supplies. We won't leave anything for the government, should we fall. Inno, ensure all supplies are gathered in Cabin sixteen, and seventeen. Should we fail to hold the junction, the supplies are to be destroyed. The buildings burned to the ground. I am officially enacting a scorched earth policy, here. This will be our one, and old chance. Excess explosives are to be placed in each of the important buildings here. The church is to be our fallback. Solid stone, and as solid a stronghold as we have available."

Abel was ensuring as few supplies as possible would remain, should the junction fall.

"The rest of you, rehearse your specified divisions with your squads, for we will go over it again tonight, when we convene again. Dismissed."

And like that, Abel walked away, followed shortly thereafter by Silas, Remy, and Solo.

LATER THAT NIGHT

The officers all convened, Innocent, Barracuda, Jo-Jo, Remy, Solomon, Musa, Grady, and the two new squad leaders, Siddiq, and Cedric. The two were given the position through merit of duties, in recent months, and by their undying support, both replacing Leon, and Henry. All nine squad leaders were seated, as Abel, and Silas entered.

"Okay, boys."

"There's not much left to do, here. We've fortified this position as much as possible. Now, we hope that Lungi sends us proper reinforcements. The government is coming. And coming hard. We estimate... Two, three days, at most. They will make quick work of this task to try and take the junction back. If they can do so, it is our suspicion this is just part of a major offensive, on multiple fronts," said Abel, clasping his hands together in front of him, looking among all the young captains before him.

"This won't be the same type of battle, as when we took the junction, four months ago. Now, our enemies have the upper hand. Their force is stronger, well-equipped, and motivated. They will hit us quick, they will hit us hard. There will be a lot of casualties... On both sides," he said, looking at all the uneasy expressions before him. "But we will prevail. I assure you, we will prevail." His words, he felt, fallen upon deaf ears, empty as they had seemingly sounded, as they were not men. They were boys. Most having not even laid with their first woman, himself included. "Our purity of mind, stalwart dedication to the cause, elite training, and bravado will be our weapons. And we will most surely use them."

Abel moved his right index finger to his head, poking his temple. "This. This is the real weapon." He simultaneously held his sidearm, in holster, with his left hand. "This," he looked down to his sidearm. "This, is secondary. Any fool can pull a trigger, it's their mind that selects the target. Your mind is what decides your fate."

"Lieutenant, take it away," he said, turning away from

"Right. We have devised sections for your squads to man. Sections A to I. Section X, Y, and Z, are fallback positions, designed for retreating purposes." Silas motioned for the captains to crowd around. "Come, now, look."

The boys had scattered emotions. Some were petrified, and it was clear in their faces. Others were hesitant, and exhibited trembling behavior, and clumsiness, as they got up to crowd around the map, strewn out across the table. Silas awaited them to crowd around properly. Abel turned around, and walked over to the nearest window, and looked out, onto the emptied courtyard, lit up by torch posts, and fires.

The boys crowded around, and observed the somewhat complex map.

"This is the junction," Silas pointed. "This is the main highway, north to south, with the splinter."

He brushed the map with his hand, side to side, selecting position 'A'. "Remy. Forefront. Your squad has excelled the best, recently. You can be trusted with the north front. To your aid, at sections 'B', and 'C', Jo-Jo 'B', and Inno 'C'".

Abel turned to walk out the front door, leaving Silas to preparing the captains for their positions.

Outside, he walked the empty courtyard, aside from the occasional sentry passing by. There was a light, aromatic breeze drifting in the air, the sway of the thick bunches of Kapok tree leaves could be heard in the late night silence of the camp. An early curfew had been put in place for regulars, so the majority of the camp — save night sentries, were asleep.

Abel continued his solitary walk, to clear his mind, as oft he did, nearly every night. He would walk the length of the junction, sometimes continuing down the desolate highways, aimlessly walking for hours. He didn't sleep much these days, and refused personal guards, despite his position in the junction.

Tonight, however, he remained in the confines of the junction. He moved towards a nearby tree, and leaned against it, slowly slipping down, seating himself at the base. He rested his arms on his weary legs, his head back against the tree. It was a peaceful night, as most have been since that furious night. But he knew, soon, the camp would be rife with carnage. He dreaded it. Feeling that he had wanted it, yearned for it to happen for so long, but now, he views it with indifference, disgusted by the thought of it now. Many of the boys now sleeping peaceably, would be dead by the week's end. Nothing more than statistics in a war that nobody cared about. The thought of it tormented him.

He had followed Leader Foday Sankoh's mandate — as did most other R.U.F. commanders. But he couldn't help but question himself, in what seemed his every waking moment.Was there a line? Had I crossed it, with no hope of return? Had I misjudged my capabilities? Was it still too late?

Every thought burned through him like hot embers. He was often reminiscent of the simpler days, in Moyamba, and Freetown... Even before Sierra Leone, when he lived in Cape Town. His family, he had not seen in almost a year. Where was Jon? Was he okay? Was he still alive... Pieter, Nora, Mum, Dad. He would lose himself in deep thought, continuously. The never-ending internal struggle to come to grips with his new changes. He was a commander of over eighty soldiers. He had responsibilities now. He had betrayed his new country. He was a rebel.

"C..." A voice echoed, seemingly far away.

"Cap." The voice shattered his trance.

Abel snapped out of it, and back to reality. It was Silas, standing beside him.

"Nice speech, Cap."

"There's nothing left to do now, but wait,"
    replied Abel.

Silas nodded, and turned to leave.

"Wait, Sy." Abel playfully backhanded Silas' leg, as his executive officer turned. "Thanks, eh? For everything."

Silas nodded. "You got it, Cap," he said, turning back, and walking away.

Taking a deep breath, Abel turned over. "Two days. Two days," he repeated to himself.
    Last edited by Dance; April 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Default Re: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XV - 05/04)

8,600 words later, behold, chapter XV. Enjoy! BATTLE SCENE

Chapter XV

Characters (may contain spoilers)
    Legend:
    - In square brackets: The pronunciation of the character's name.
    - In round brackets: The character's nickname.
    - In individual spoilers: The character's current status, as per the current chapter.

Youth R.U.F. Soldiers:

Captain Abel van de Kaans [Ay-Bull Van Duh Con] (Able)
    (b. 1980) (12-13)
    A white African youth, captured by the Revolutionary United Front (R.U.F.), and forced to become a child soldier. The story follows his experience as a child soldier. After his capture, near Lumba school, Abel was selected as a protege and model youth soldier and commander.

Abel has always had a strong passion for history, and the study, and envy of such historical leaders as Scipio Africanus, and Alexander the Great.

He views his opportunity in the war a way for him to live vicariously through the eyes of his ancient idols, and make a name for himself that will stand the test of time. As premature as this idea may seem, it inspires him to move forward, during such trying times.
    Spoiler for Current Status (WARNING: SPOILER)
    Abel fought bravely, with his squad. Tank fire goes off behind him, sending him crashing into a tank block. His status as per the end of the chapter is unknown.

Jon van de Kaans [Jawn Van Duh Con]
    (Age unknown)
    Abel's older brother. He was at Lumba school, when the rebels attacked, and was captured with Abe and a mutual friend.

Jon and Abel have differing opinions of the R.U.F. Abel seeks glory, and sees his opportunity to achieve it through the R.U.F., whereas Jon seeks to return life back to normal. He has a growing disdain for his brother, and his brother's new found 'friendship' with Commander Caesar and other rebels.
    Jon was left behind in Lungi, when Abel and a selection of youth troops were ordered to attack Moyamba Junction, under Major Red's command. In the five months since their departure, his current status and whereabouts are unknown to Abel.

Captain Musa [Moo-Sah]
    (Age unknown)
    A friend of the van de Kaans', and classmate of Abel, and Jon. He was captured outside of Moyamba, with Abel and Jon. He is a timid youth, and holds a lack of authority, which causes him problems with being able to assert himself as a major contributor to the rebel group. He began as a close confidante of Abel, but slowly descended to just another youth captain, replaced by newer aspiring youth captains, to serve as Abel's command staff.
    Musa and his squad fought valiantly in the battle. His current status is unknown.

Captain Solomon
    (Age unknown)
    A friend of Abel's and the other boys. He was a classmate, whom was at Lumba when the rebels attacked. He fled with a different group of boys, from the school, and was captured and brought to Camp Lungi, where he reunited with Abel and the others.

Solomon is an aspiring youth officer, who still serves with distinction in Abel's close group of officers. Unlike Musa, Solomon has the ability to assert his authority when needed, and as such he still holds a prominent position at Abel's right side.

Solomon is a brilliant youth. He is a realist and is not afraid to correct, or enlighten the other officers when the situation calls for it.
    Solomon and his squad had little rest during the fighting. A traitor nearly killed Solomon. He survived the battle, with the help of Silas.

Captain Silas [Sy-Less] (Big Sy)
    (Age unknown)
    One of Abel's squad members. Silas is the biggest teen in camp, he is 6'5, with a muscular body, hidden by his additional stockiness. He is the strongest boy in camp, and most fear even crossing his path, due to his general size. Over the course of his incorporation into Abel's squad, Silas has moved to the front of the squad, and had become Abel's official lieutenant.
    Silas led a mobile assault force, during the battle. His squad was last known to be coming under heavy enemy fire. His status is unknown.

Captain Remy (Ace)
    (Age unknown)
    One of Abel's squad members. Remy is a tall, slender teen, whose is known as a typical joker, among the rest of the boys. He enjoys the luxuries of life (when he can), and is a card game enthusiast, and has an intense passion for gambling. Remy has a thick Crio accent, when he speaks.

Remy is nearly always wearing a pair of Ray-Bans, or other shades, as a coolness factor.
    Remy's squad was on the forefront of the battle. His squad became involved in a heavy melee. His whereabouts and status are unknown.

Captain Jo-Jo
    (Age unknown)
    A youth troop captain under Abel's command.

Jo-Jo is subservient to Abel and Silas' command. He acts without question to their every decision and is unquestionably loyal to the rebel cause.
    Jo-Jo's squad fell back, under heavy fire from advancing government soldiers. His whereabouts and status are unknown.

Captain Innocent
    (Age unknown)
    A youth troop captain. A supporter of Abel.
    Innocent's squad fought in the battle. His status and that of his squad is unknown.

Captain Temu [Tee-Mu] (Barracuda)
    (Age unknown)
    Barracuda
    's squad fought in the battle. His status and that of his squad is unknown.

Captain Grady
    (Age unknown)
    An outspoken, ambitious youth soldier. His trustfulness is doubted, by some.

Remy has a seeming hatred towards him, since a card game had previously put the two at odds.
    Grady's squad fought in the battle. His status and that of his squad is unknown.

Captain Omry (Original)
    (Age unknown)
    Omry is Abel's adversary, in the youth battalion. His dismay for Abel's ascension to First Captain is well known.

He is a fervent disbeliever in Abel's capabilities to lead, and the two are often at odds with one another.
    Abel nearly killed Omry, for treason, before The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. What remnant of life he still had in him, had slowly left the boy, when he was left to die, in captivity. He died of his wounds, shortly thereafter.

Captain Henry (Hellion)
    (Age unknown)
    Henry leads another of the youth squads, like Omry, and Abel. Henry is a firm supporter of Omry, and also disbelieves in Abel's capability to lead. Neither him, nor Omry respect Abel, despite the fact Major Red, and Commander Caesar, among other top R.U.F. leaders have instilled leadership in Abel.

Henry is laid back, and thinks very highly of himself, and believes he should run the youth brigade, a feeling that also puts him in direct conflict with Abel.

Henry was allowed to live by Abel, after Abel chastised and left Omry to die.
    Abel killed Henry in a knife fight, prior to the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, after learning he had malicious intent to kill him, still clinging to the loyalty of his former commander, Omry.

Toddric [Taw-Drick]
    (Unknown age)
    Toddric is an R.U.F. soldier, and supporter of Abel.

Little else is known about Toddric, aside from serving as a torturer, of captives.
    He is fully committed to his position and is completely subservient to Abel and Silas' command. He is currently support staff, and the communications operator, for Abel's company.

He wasn't a combatant, during the recent Battle of Moyamba Junction, instead operating behind the scenes during the battle.

Adult R.U.F. Soldiers:

Cmdr. (Dr.) Cesare Libre [Cee-Zair Lee-Bur] (Caesar)
    (Age unknown)
    A British-educated physician, and leader of the R.U.F. rebel forces. He is the camp commander of Camp Lungi, and the regional overlord. He took Abel in as a protege, and firmly believes in Abel's ability to become a prominent figure in the R.U.F.

Caesar served in the Sierra Leonean Army, in the medical corps. He achieved the rank of Colonel, before denouncing his allegiance, and siding with the R.U.F., for the revolution. He is a highly reputable, and staunch supporter of R.U.F. Leader, Foday Sankoh.
    Caesar stayed behind, to command as regional overlord, from the rebel camp at Lungi. He last interacted with Abel, before Abel left with Major Red for Moyamba, many months ago.

Major Leonidas Ngobo [Leon-Ih-Das Go-Bo] (Red)
    (Age unknown)
    Formerly of Siaka Stevens' regime (1971-85), Red joined the army at the beginning of Stevens' term, and then moved his way through the ranks as an officer in the regime's secret police division. He was lead officer of the torture squads. Following the collapse of the Siaka Stevens regime, Major Red, with other loyalists fled to the thick northern jungles, where they engaged in partisan warfare with the new regime, under Joseph Momoh. Momoh declared him an enemy of the state, and all other former regime officials. Red fled to Angola, with his troops, and turned from a partisan group to a mercenary faction.

Charles Taylor recruited Red to join his rebellion in neighboring Liberia. Red served in Liberia, before returning to Sierra Leone, at the outset of the Sierra Leone Civil War, in 1991. He was listed, by this point, as a war criminal, by the International Criminal Courts. An international warrant was issued for his arrest.

Red runs the 'Reavers', a strike force of the Revolutionary United Front rebel forces. He serves as a direct subordinate to Commander Caesar.

Red lead the reavers and the youth troops to victory over the government forces, in the 'Battle of Moyamba Junction (1992)'.
    led the First Battle of Moyamba Junction, and shortly thereafter departed, with his 'Reavers', leaving Abel and his youth company in control of the junction. Red was last seen alive, leaving the junction.

Administrator Usengi Gtugbo [You-Sen-Gee Tug-bow]
    (Age unknown)
    A former lawyer from Freetown, Usengi aligned himself with the R.U.F., at the outbreak of the civil war, in 1991. He believes in Foday Sankoh's ideals, and believes if the R.U.F. Usengi was imprisoned by the previous regime, for advocating anti-government propaganda. Now, he continues his anti-government ideals through the safety of the R.U.F. He is a prominent intellect in the force, and in the eyes of the outside world, he serves as a chief administrator in the legal, and administrative side of the R.U.F. He currently works directly for Caesar, as his personal adjutant, and his mediator with the rest of the R.U.F.
    Usengi was last seen in Lungi, but had been dispatched by Caesar to another posting. His status is unknown.

Captain Rambo
    (Age unknown)
    The rebel captain in charge of training new 'youth officers'. Little else is known about him.
    Rambo was last seen in Lungi, in December, 1992. His current status is unknown.

Captain Chaos
    (Age unknown)
    The rebel captain whom captured Abel, Jon, and Musa, and brought them to Camp Lungi. Little else is known about him, except he served an older regime, with Major Red, prior to the revolution.
    Chaos was last seen in Lungi, in December, 1992. His current status is unknown.

Rebel Sniper
    (Unknown age)
    The mystery sniper was attached to the defense of the junction, within days of the battle's commencement. Little is known of the person behind the scope.

He scored at least half a dozen kills, in the fighting.

His current status is unknown.

XV – The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction

It was a little after eight o’clock in the morning, when a beat up, and filthy white 1989 Toyota Hilux was racing south down the desolate Bo-Kenema Highway, straight for the junction. There were two vehicle occupants, who bounced with the truck, hitting numerous potholes, as it plowed its way down the unkempt, and barren highway, as fast as it could.

Dotting the arborous edges of the highway, there was a gruesome mosaic of dozens of government soldiers, hanged naked, with only dog tags hanging from their necks, and military camouflaged bandannas and cloth wrapped on their extremities to signify their allegiance. They were hanged sparingly on the strongest branches. The gruesome sight was designed as more of a demoralization tactic, than a warning, but the purpose served in conjunction.

There were signs adorning the soldiers’ chests, hung from their necks – ‘R.U.F.’, ‘Down With The Regime’, and ‘Down With Strasser.'

Eventually, after a rough ride, the vehicle entered the outskirts of the Moyamba junction. It wasn't stopped by the rebels guarding the exterior of the junction, as it had been one of their recognized technicals, though this vehicle was not equipped with heavy arms, instead, it was used solely for transport and reconnaissance missions.

The vehicle barreled through the junction courtyards, only coming to a full stop, at the command headquarters. Abel walked out of the headquarters, with Silas, and Remy at his heels. The driver remained in the technical, as a rough-looking, unkempt rebel soldier exited the vehicle, from the passenger side. The soldier was in his early twenties, and had been one of the newcomers to the junction, within the last couple days. He was dispatched, along with several others from regional rebel camps to reinforce the junction, due to an impending government attack.

The man lightly jogged towards Abel. “Dey comin’, Cap, and dey coming fast,” he said, removing his cap, and wiping the sweat from his forehead, placing the cap back on after.

“Here we go,” said Abel, taking in a deep breathe, looking to Silas. “Battle stations.”

“Sound the alarm,” Silas said to Remy, as Remy hastily ran to the church, where a bell had been replaced upon the top, originally removed by the government when they took the junction. There was a signal boy, in the bell tower, who was responsible for sounding the alarm when the government troops were en route to the junction.

The boy leaned over, peaking his head from one of the windowless outcrops in the top of the tower, looking down at a Remy , who was running toward the church.

“Sound the alarm,” Remy screamed. “Sound the alarm, now! Sound it!” He began to wave his arms, and the boy’s head disappeared from the window outcrop, and within moments, the bell had been rung, several times over. The bell was only large enough to be heard within the vicinity of the junction and its relative outskirts.

Rebel soldiers poured out of the many structures, most of which, were rebuilt in makeshift forms, using manual labor from the troops, to keep them active, after the first battle, when the rebels took the junction from the government, four months earlier.

“Army count,” Abel uttered to the reconnaissance soldier, following him as he geared himself up, his adjutant speedily kept up. He threw on his military camouflaged vest, handed to him by his personal adjutant. Time was essential now, as he was making the last inspections of some of the defenses.

“Two bucks, perhaps two-fifty, sir,” the man said, keeping up pace, as the technical driver drove off to his next assignment. “As well as some heavy armor, no more than a dozen or so vehicles. Including four, maybe five tanks, Sir.”

Abel nodded. “Great, they have tanks this time,” he said as he was handed his knife sheathe, he fastened the camouflaged strap around his vest, and slung it so the fastened sheathe was positioned behind his lower back, making it easily accessible to be withdrawn at a moment’s notice.

A boy, no older than seventeen, had run up to Abel as he headed towards one of the makeshift battlements, a small, roughly built bunker, which had been created using scrap building materials – wood, bricks, and other metals, found in the town’s junkyard.
    The boy, nearly out of breath, frantically approached Abel, dropping his torso, resting his hands on his knees, as he caught his breath, and quickly recovered to ensure he kept up with a speedily walking Abel.

“Strength,” Abel said, cool and collected, as the young boy arrived to brief him on their own numbers.

The arriving boy walked as fast as his legs could carry him, keeping up, “One hundred and twenty, sir.”

“Sidearm,” Abel said, extending his hand towards his adjutant, who handed him the strapped holster, side arm secured inside. He fastened the holster strap around his vest, positioning it, hilt to the front, under his left arm, as routinely done.

Abel drew his Beretta with his right hand, emptying the cartridge into his other hand, then tossing it to his adjutant. He cocked the slide back, dislodging the chambered bullet, into his left hand. He slipped the bullet into his pocket, and drew a cartridge from another pocket, loading his sidearm.

He cocked the gun, initiating the safety, placing it back in his holster, fastening it in as he arrives at the makeshift bunker.

“Where’s Lenin?” Abel asked, inquiringly.

Jerome, one of the boys assigned to the bunker looked up. “He’s in the stter, Cap.”

Just as Jerome had finished his sentence, Lenin came running back to the bunker.

Abel turned, glaring at him. “If you leave your position, short of this bunker being obliterated, I will find you, and kill you myself, Captain.”

Lenin looked embarrassed. “My apologies, Captain Able. I wanted to be as ready as possible, before the battle.”

“Well the time’s come, as you've undoubtedly heard,” said Abel, referring to the church bells. “Is your position up to snuff, Captain?”

“Yes, sir. The boys are ready to defend it at all costs,” said Lenin, assuredly.

“Then how come the front is exposed? You were instructed to position the abandoned merchant stands in the front, to cover the bunker’s machine gun nest,” said Abel, motioning Lenin to follow him to the front of the bunker. “Does this look covered to you, Captain?”

“N-no, sir. I will get right on it, S-sir,” Lenin stuttered. ”Jerome, get Mikko and Teran, and have them move the stall, pronto!”

Jerome entered the bunker, and quickly as the words were uttered, the three boys staggered out of the bunker rear entrance, and hustled to the edge of the courtyard, aided by two others, nearby. They lifted the simple merchant stand, and hauled it over to the front of the bunker. The rest of the junk, near the bunker, made it look like a natural jumble of objects, providing a perfect gun nest, where a surprise attack could occur on the outset, as soon as the government drew close enough.

All over the camp, the boys hustled to their positions, weapons in arm. The new squad, dispatched from Lungi, was trained in RPG usage, had arrived with supplies two days earlier. The squad was divided evenly among the subsections devised by Abel, and Silas. There were seven RPG teams ready.

Abel moved on, from the bunker, towards the town café, located a sixty yards away from the bunker. There, Solomon’s squad was to reinforce the bunker position, in the event the bunker squad needed to retreat. The café was reinforced with bricks, and chunks of concrete debris, gathered from the area.

Sandbags were also collected, both intact, and empty one, which were in turn filled and placed to reinforce positions throughout the encampment. Over three hundred and fifty sandbags, as well as hundreds of bricks, and dozens of concrete slabs, were foraged, and used to fortify these makeshift defensive positions. When overwhelmed, the soldiers were given orders to fall back to their secondary posts, which were pre-decided. Each fallback was to be accompanied by a squad which would provide cover fire, in the event a fallback was necessary.

The government army attacking had an estimated two hundred infantry. Twice the rebel numbers, in the junction, as well as the valuable support of heavy armor. Tanks, and APCs.

Solomon came out of the café. "What’s the numbers, Cap?"

"A lot," said Abel, as he looked around Solomon, to ensure his squad members were accounted for. "They have armor. Is your rocket man ready?"

"Yes, sir," said Solomon, as he turned and pointed up to a second story window, in the apartment above the café, where a window had been reinforced with sandbags, would serve as one of the strategic firing positions for the RPGs.

"Good," said Abel, turning around, thoroughly inspecting the surrounding positions. He looked up into the bell tower, and saw movement, as three boys were positioned there, including a former government sniper, from Lungi, who joined up with the R.U.F. months earlier. The sniper had defected for the same reason many others had, after going months without pay. He was dispatched from Lungi to support the ground troops, during the battle. He was the only rebel sniper, at the junction.

Abel slowly counted each head he saw, looking around to the different positions.

He turned back to Solomon. “Have at it, brother,” he said, nodding. “In this life or the next, bro,” he said, hugging his long-time friend.

A rig pulled up beside Abel, and he hopped in the sidecar. The two boys shared no more than a nod, when the rig took off, speedily down the junction road, towards the courtyard center.

In the center of the junction, where the government was expected to approach, at some point, a flag pole stood, erected in the center of a dried up fountain, with a white flag bearing the letters, 'R.U.F.'

As the rig stopped, and Abel exited the vehicle, he stood there, looking up at the flag, swaying high above the junction. It was a symbol of victory, a flag having flown effortlessly over the junction, for over four months.

"Sir, why keep it up?" The driver of the rig had said.

"Hope,” said Abel, pausing and reflecting. “A symbol… And strategy," Abel replied. "If the army is as proud and bold as I hope they are, they will attempt to lower the flag during the battle, in an attempt to demoralize, and cause dissension. When they draw close enough to the center here, they will be completely surrounded. Action has been restricted in recent days, falsified reports have been dispatched by our 'sobel' ‘supporters’, if you want to call those bastards that. They have been giving false intel to the government for weeks, signifying the encampment had been left to capture, and abandoned, and only a handful of defenders remained, just foolish children, playing army boys. Well, they’re going to be in for a surprise."

The driver nodded, and Abel grabbed the rope for the flagpole, tugging on it, ensuring it was securely fastened.

Abel hopped back in, and they took off to the front of the junction. The army convoy had not yet been seen down road. Remy’s squad was already in place, aided by Jo-Jo’s on the adjacent side of the northern road. The two squads were trusted with manning the front, and to hold as long as possible, for the convoy to enter the junction, first.

Jo-Jo had quickly hustled down the hill, out of the thick bush, to convene with Abel, and Remy.

"You boys ready?" Abel asked.

Jo-Jo simply nodded, uttering not a word.

"Always ready, Cap. This is what we’ve been waiting for," Remy said, pounding his clenched fist on his puffed out chest. "We ready for dis, sir."

"Be patient, be steadfast," Abel said, turning, and getting back in the rig, and heading back to the center of the junction. They soon arrived at the church, where Abel based his command post in the church.

He stood up on a raised pew, to look out a fortified window, with a small peak hole large enough to view across the courtyard, directly up the highway road, to where the government was coming from.

Abel extended out his hand, and his adjutant handed him a pair of binoculars. He looked down road, but no sign yet. All they could do is wait.

Minutes later, a reconnaissance technical swerved up ahead, into the junction, it turned a side street. Abel knew this was the sign the government approach was imminent.

"Soldier," he said to his adjutant. "Dispatch the decoys."

The soldier picked up his radio, and issued a transmission. "Rebels flee, rebels flee."

Within moments, a group of six soldiers, armed with AK47's, with empty clips, pushed a bunch of men dressed as rebels. The six soldiers, and a man dressed as an officer, pushed forward, shoving the dozen rebels into the center of the junction, where they rebels were forced to the ground, as the seven government soldiers stood over them.

Abel smiled, looking back to his adjutant, and then back out to the center of the junction.

It was silent now, the hustle and bustle, the normality of sounds in the camp had ceased. The occasional rebel would be seen hustling around their position, but most were in place for the advance. Up the roadway, deep down, you could see specks of movement, coming towards the junction.

"Have the false reports been sent?" Abel said, looking through the binoculars.

"Yes, sir. The sobel commander confirmed it, this morning."

"Good. Now we hope they fall for the bait," said Abel, smiling, and continuing to look down road.

The church would be the command headquarters, and fallback in the event the government breaches the onion-layered defense system. A dozen soldiers already positioned in the church, two in the bell tower, ten hustled about in the main level, most manning a window towards the center courtyard, prepared to engage when the government is hopefully lulled into the ambush.

"Come on, come on baby. Come to papa."

The tanks were in view now, approaching slowly, and steadily, unaware what they were truly about to walk into. The false transmissions informing the government intelligence of the majority of rebels having fled the junction seemed to have tricked their commanders so far. The one major thing Abel had working for his defense was the element of surprise. If he could cause mayhem in the government ranks, then perhaps they would have a chance to hold the junction, despite the odds being against them.

The first tank had touched the outskirts, over two yards away from the church, but passing the rebel front line threshold. Remy's squad on the right, and Jo-Jo's on the left, were waiting in ambush. The squads made use of the trapdoors designed earlier in the planning stages of defense. The trapdoors provided perfect cover for the prone soldiers, as the government soldiers inched nearer, over the rough, forested terrain. The first tank was followed by a dozen soldiers, followed by a heavily armed armored personnel carrier, which was in turn, followed by another dozen soldiers. Some fifty soldiers were scouring the bush, as Abel turned his binoculars; he could see them passing by his own soldier's hidden positions. The soldiers halted, short of the minefield, while the heavy armor advanced down the main road through the junction. Buildings that were boarded up, and looked near abandoned, had been stuffed with personnel sporadically dotting the perimeter.

“Brilliant idea using government captives for decoys, sir. It is no loss to us for them to kill their own men,” said the adjutant.

“Precisely what I hope for,” replied Abel, still peering through his binoculars.

A steady dripping of sweat occurred now, down Abel's face, as the first line of soldiers inched closer, held back only by their fear of the unexpected. The trip mines were unmarked, and placed behind Remy, and Jo-Jo's squad, with memorized paths through them, for the rebels to fall back. But the soldiers seemed to be inching to close for comfort, as one trip would ruin the entire ambush, if the government armor did not reach the center of the junction in time.

The tank was less than a hundred yards away, now. It was rolling straight towards the group of government soldiers, and apprehended rebel soldiers.

"Steady boys, steady," Abel rehearsed, as the tank veered off the main highway road, pointing directly to the soldiers. The hatch on the top of the front tank opened, and the tank commander poked his head out, looking at them. The dozen soldiers following the tank appeared from behind it, and slowly approached the captors and captives. One army officer in particular could be seen conversing at the outset, with one of the soldiers. The soldier had been wearing a wire, which wasn't strong enough to pick up the other officer's voice, but could pick up the soldier tagged with the wire, so Abel could listen to the conversation, directly from the one with his back turned to the church. The army officer's voice couldn't be heard, but one of Abel's soldiers also had binoculars, next to him, and had proven to some extent that he could read lips, leading to his selection for the position.

"What's he saying?" Abel asked.

"What company are you linked to. Something, something... He's saying...We are... Here for the roadway, or town - junction," the soldier said. "He is a lieutenant-"

"I got that from his insignia, stick to the important matter. At the outset of suspicion, we will initiate the ambush."

"'Where are they. Where are they, which direction,' I didn't make out the next couple words. He says, 'Is the town empty, is this all the captives, and soldiers present.'"

Abel inched his hand closer to the radio transmitter, prepared to initiate the ambush, he rubbed his hand against his pants, to get the sweat off it, and started cracking the knuckles on his one hand, anxiously.

"Something is happening, the soldier is on his radio, he turned his head, I can't see his lips, sir."

Abel took a deep breath, trying to understand what was happening. "What is the tank commander saying, he's talking to him."

"The reports. The reports are... False. The reports are false, sir."

Abel grabbed the radio transmitter, and pulled it to his mouth. "The torch is lit, the torch is lit," the words blurted from his mouth, his mouth parched, causing his voice to crack. "The torch is lit, goddammit!"

An explosion was seen in the bush, Abel had swiveled his binoculars to the direction of the remote mines, and saw the aftermath of two government soldiers removed from their feet, with a tornado of blood, and debris, having been standing on a remote mine line.

And just then, the trapdoors along the front were lifted, the leaves and debris flying everywhere, and the rebel fighters immediately opened fire on the soldiers scattered in the forested area, who were immediately caught off guard, attempting to scrounge a defense, they began to drop like flies, half a dozen having been shot in what seemed seconds, having been caught off guard. The rebels in Remy, and Jo-Jo's squads were now engaged with the enemy, who began to return fire, in the thick bush gunfight.

Simultaneously, in what had seemed to have happened on par with the initial explosions, the sniper in the church bell tower fired a single shot, striking the tank commander straight in the eye, causing a bloody, gaping hole, where his socket had been, as blood erupted out from the wound, with the shot clearing through his head, splattering blood and matter on the bottom of the opened hatch, the commander dropping dead into the tank’s belly.

Several rockets were fired from the surrounding RPG teams, from different angles, with most of the initial rockets striking the idled armor. One of the armed APC’s had been struck twice, in seemingly perfect spots, as it exploded, engulfed in flames. Another APC had the tracks on one side blown apart. A rear tank received a shot to the rear, hitting the gas tank, catching fire after a small explosion. The armor began to scatter, as troops did as well.

A mounted machine gun in the front tank opened fire on the decoys in front that had lulled the bulk of the army into the courtyard. The decoys had gotten up, trying to flee, but were mowed down like grass by the machine gun fire, backed by the rifle fire from dozens of exposed soldiers, who attempted to find cover, at the same time.

Dozens of soldiers in the convoy dismounted the tanks, and APC's, and fled towards the cover of the buildings that rimmed the exterior perimeter of the courtyard.

The sniper, wasting no time, fired another shot, hitting an officer in the upper back, as he was motioning with his arms, for his troops to get cover. The officer dropped to his knees, and then forward to the ground, the shot having cleared through his back and out his chest.

The bunker in the courtyard unleashed a deadly flow of machine gun fire, from beneath the merchant stand prop. Four soldiers had been hit and dropped to the ground nearly immediately, followed by two more who attempted to turn direction and run from the gunfire. Steady firing had already commenced from numerous buildings along the outer rim of the courtyard, at soldiers attempting to flee for cover. All over the courtyard the soldiers dropped, being caught unaware, and overwhelmed by the ambush, evening the drastic odds against the rebels.

"Yes!" Abel yelled, as most of his troops engaged the unsuspecting army soldiers. He held the transmitter to his mouth. "All squads engage! Fire at will! Fire at will!" He said, throwing the transmitter to the ground, jumping off the pew. His adjutant handed him his AK47. He threw the strap around his shoulder, and moved to the side door of the church, leading to the cemetery, joined by a half dozen of his troops, also armed with rifles. Three of the rebel fighters remained in the church, shooting pop shots from the windows, and cracks in the wall, at the disarrayed government position in the courtyard.

A rocket was fired, hitting the lead tank in side, blowing off the tracking, immobilizing it. But the functionality of the weaponry, and mechanics still worked, remaining intact, as the top of it spun around perfectly.

The tank's big gun now faced the bunker, towards the rebel gun nest. Immediately, the machine gun turret, in the bunker had stopped.

Abel had reached the open side door of the church, him and his squad headed out, jumping off the steps, and began to move up the side of the church, through the cemetery, as the bunker, in clear view, less than fifty yards away, had immediately exploded, hit by the tank fire. Abel and his squad members hit the ground, out of sheer habit.

Abel was the first to get back up, and ran towards the stonewall at the perimeter of the small cemetery, it had immediately collapsed, all of the makeshift concrete slabs, and bricks, which were not destroyed, or dislodged outwards, from the impact, had caved in on the interior chambers, and tunneling of the bunker.

One fighter appears to have just squeezed out of the rear bunker door, as it collapsed, escaping. He attempted to run for the cemetery stonewalls, his rifle slung behind his back, as he covered his head, running hastily to the wall.

“Go back, fool!” Abel yelled, trying to turn him back, waving the boy away, as now the boy was completely exposing himself, but the young boy didn't heed the command, and within moments he was lit up with gunfire, in what seemed dozens of shots hitting him, the boy fighter dropped to the ground, rolling twice, with the impact of the hail of fire, before not moving again.

Abel closed his eyes, and cringed. "Goddammit," he said, continuing to move to the edge of the church, looking around the corner, seeing the courtyard littered with the bodies of government soldiers, as well as those of the decoy soldiers, who were shot by the army, as the ambush had been initiated.

There were three soldiers who had made it to the stone wall, the ones who undoubtedly shot the fleeing rebel fighter. Abel saw them and immediately moved to the stone wall himself, in a crouching run, he began firing, as the soldiers then saw him, returning fire. The other rebel fighters followed Abel, but then scattered, returning fire with the three soldiers.

Abel hit one of the soldiers, and the soldier had fallen to his knees, and then backwards to the ground. The other two soldiers focused fire on him, as the gravestones had been riddled with bullets, stone debris flew in all directions. Abel had taken so much focused fire that he dove behind a large above ground tomb, and remained hidden from the consistent barrage of bullets, while his fighters returned fire. One of the two remaining soldiers was hit, and dropped his rifle, staggering and turning his back, and then was hit twice more, dropping to the ground. The other soldier diverted his line of fire to the other rebel fighters, striking one of them in the chest twice, and continuing to spray bullets, as he swayed his gun sideways, striking another rebel, before he was hit himself, and dropped to the ground. One of the other rebels called the clear, and Abel arose from behind the battered tomb, waving his arm to motion his soldiers to continue to the stone wall, and to stay low.

"Keep your goddamn heads down. We need to avoid fire coming from our boys on the other side of the courtyard, as well as from the soldiers," said Abel, as he moved quickly, to the two downed rebels. He put his hand to the pulse of one of them, and the fighter was dead. Abel recognized him, but did not know him by name.

He then checked the other fighter, and he was coughing up blood. He had been struck twice in the chest, once in both lungs. The boy was crying, and gasping for air. Abel clinched his jaw, and drew his Beretta from its holster. "You fought bravely," he said, brushing the boy's hair back, as he stroked the boy's forehead. "You fought bravely," Abel continued, wiping a sole tear that descended from one his own eyes. "I'm sorry," he said, putting his Beretta under the boy's chin, the boy looking back at him with welled eyes, and then, without hesitation, he fired a single shot, ending the boy's agony.

He put his sidearm back in his holster, and picked up his rifle. He removed the clip from it, and cocked the drawback, discarding the barreled round. He took one of the boy's clips, and checked it. The clip was fully loaded, so he banged the bottom of it on a nearby gravestone, and attached the clip to his rifle, cocking it. He pulled a second clip off the boy, and slipped it into his pants pocket, and returned to the four of his men who waited by the stone wall.

The main tank, heading the convoy was still exposed in the middle of the street. The tracking had been blown off it, by a direct RPG hit. The big gun had turned, and fired another shot, after the bunker, directly at the cafe, on the other side of the courtyard from the church, blowing a wide hole into the wall, forcing the rebel fighter there to vacate, after it received direct fire from soldiers on the ground, as well.

The big gun had fired right over Abel, and his boys, as a shot blew open a large hole in one of the church windows, from which a rebel fighter was firing pot shots at the government position in the center of the junction.

Aiming through his scope, the rebel sniper scanned the courtyard for government stragglers who had not yet reached cover. He identified one who was staggering in zigzags trying to avoid fire. He readied his trigger finger, keeping the soldier in his scope, he predicted his next evasive move, and prepared the shot. 'BANG' the rifle erupted, as he pegged the soldier in the left side of the chest, near the heart. The shot had cleared the soldier's body, impacting against the ground behind him. A puff of dust, and sand swirled up from the ground, and the soldier dropped immediately to the ground. The sniper took his eye from the scope sight, and looked with his own vision, down at the soldier, as blood squirted from the wound, with a fountain of red. The soldier's last bodily movements were mere twitches, as he bled out.

"Seven," the sniper said, cocking back the gun, dislodging the empty shell, and loading the next shot. Immediately the window took fire, from government soldiers who found cover, and the sniper rolled back to the relative safety of the back of the bell tower. “Let’s get out of here,” he yelled to his spotter, and the two descended down the bell tower, as an RPG round was fired into it, blowing what remained of the roof off.

The RPG teams had been firing as almost quickly as they could reload their launchers. The constant rocket fire provided the rebels with perfect cover, as the government soldiers were stuck trying to avoid shots, as the most important issue.

Across the junction, Remy had ordered a fallback from the forested area, after intense fighting. He had lost two of his squad, and Jo-Jo had lost twice that. They followed their specific paths through the minefields, but one of Remy's squad members was slow to fall in, and he was bashed in the back by the butt end of a government soldier's rifle. He crashed into the dirt, and the government soldier was on top of him. One of the other rebels turned back, seeing his comrade trying to fend off the rifle attack, with his hands, as the government soldier stood over him. Rather than shoot, the rebel fighter charged him, and hit the soldier in the head with the end of his rifle, but the bash had connected with the soldier's helmet. The brunt of the hit was powerful enough to cause the soldier to stumble, and fall back on his behind, where the rebel fighter had relentlessly proceeded to bash at the soldier's head, multiple times. The helmet strap disconnected from the constant blows, and the soldier's head was exposed, and had been bloodied and battered, bashed in by the continuous strikes. Two more soldiers appeared from the thick brush, and one ran directly at the attacking rebel, impaling him with his rifle’s bayonet, forcing him down. The rebel fighter who had originally fallen, got back up, and was able to fire two shots at one of the soldiers, as the other rebel jabbed him in the chest with his bayonet, removing it, jabbing him again, and again, until he was dead.

The bloody melee that unfolded had been mimicked on Jo-Jo’s side, with rebels and army soldiers getting in close on each other

As the rebels retreated to the second line of defense, at the structure-heavy exterior of the town, several government soldiers pursued through the shrubbery, setting off several trip wires. About a half dozen soldiers had limbs blown off by the landmines, and rolled in the filthy, leafy ground, in agonizing pain. The bloodcurdling screams could be heard, as they slowly bled out.

The government halted its advance, by that point, pursuing no longer.

Instead, they began tossing grenades randomly over the minefield at the fleeing rebels. Luckily, for the rebels, none were hit, but following the grenades was sporadic gunfire, adding to the intensity of the battle.

Inside the center of the junction, dozens of government soldiers had made it to the structures rimming the edges of the courtyard, where they had found a significant amount of protection. Silas was leading a squad to reinforce the soldiers who were already engaged in the structure to structure fighting, and the cat and mouse game going on in the back alleys between the two factions.

Armed with a Beretta, and a machete, Silas moved with a slithering finesse around each corner, and alleyway, with rebel fighters following at his heels, armed with rifles.

There was a group of six government soldiers, who had taken refuge in a boarded up diner, having killed the three rebels protecting it.

Silas halted his squad, hearing commotion, and movement inside, as they passed behind. The diner had been a popular spot for the rebels to congregate over the past few months, during chow time, and there was loose flooring, behind the bar, accessible through the crawlspace beneath the diner. Silas removed the wooded fencing, from the alleyway, and crawled into the crawlspace.

"Is there spiders in there?" One of the soldiers whispered, hesitating to proceed.

Silas stuck his head back out. "If you don't shut your mouth, and follow me, spiders will be the least of your concern when this is over. Now get in here."

Silas disappeared under the crawlspace, and the hesitant rebel was shoved by the one behind him, then all seven of them were inside.

Silas proceeded to the weakened floorboards, and pressed on them lightly, adding force with each push. He got them to pop right off, only needing three of them, to slip through. He climbed up, unbeknownst to the soldiers, who convened in the center of the diner, with two of them looking out the windows. He helped the next guy up, and then the third, and he crept over to the corner, and moved an empty tankard, to see that there was three soldiers watching through windows, two were resting at a table, talking to each other, and the sixth one was looting the corpse of a rebel defender.

By the time Silas had turned back around, all five of them had been up, behind the bar. Silas moved to the edge, and drew his machete from its sheath. He waited, and waited. He kept his boys at bay through hand signals. Each of them readied their rifles. He took a piece of wood on the ground and tossed it in the back corner of the diner. One of the soldiers heard it, and proceeded to investigate. As he got closer, his footsteps clearly heard on the floorboards over the hollowed out crawlspace below, Silas sprung up at the last second and buried the machete into the soldier's torso, through where his neck connected to his shoulder. The machete had dug in four inches, from the mighty blow, and the soldier let out a screeching cry, dropping to the floor, rolling around.

Silas then, immediately, drew his Beretta, aimed it, and fired at the closest government soldier to him, emptying his clip, as he thrust his body backwards, behind a cabinet, hitting the wall, and dropping his body to the ground as he endured a hail of gunfire, which had seemingly missed him entirely. The other rebel boys immediately stood up, opening fire on the exposed soldiers. In moments the firefight had been over, and the soldiers laid six dead, with the rebels cheering among themselves, boastfully.

"Shut up, the battle's far from over. Loot them, now, before we move on," said Silas, as he pried his machete from the dead soldier's torso.

Meanwhile, in the main courtyard, another RPG round hit the lead tank directly, this time destroying it, as a blaze ensued, and engulfed the tank. Screams could be heard from inside.

At the church, Abel, and his squad members were hunkered down by the stone wall, taking heavy fire from the second tank, rolling past the destroyed lead tank.

A rocket had been fired from the buildings on their left, but it had missed the moving tank, impacting with an explosion on the ground too far for it to matter. Another rocket had been fired from a separate direction, striking the top of the tank, causing some scathing damage, but overall not hindering the movement, or mechanics, as far as they knew.

Another tank, the last fully intact tank, fired on an RPG team, in an apartment across the courtyard, taking out the window, and the team operating the firepower from it.

Abel saw the tank shot take out the RPG team across the street, from where his position was, then he peaked over, momentarily, and saw the main tank's big gun swivel towards them, so he grabbed the rebel fighter at his heels and pulled him down the stonewall line, to avoid the shot. 'BANG' the shot had pounded the wall, decimating it, creating a small crater underneath where the wall had originally been. The two boys had hit the ground, hurriedly crawling further away.

The bell tower had been taking constant fire, and collapsed in a little, before a government RPG team fired on it, taking out what position remained there. The bell had been blown in half, one half falling out the tower, and crashing into the roof below, rolling down into the cemetery.

With the bell tower destroyed, and alight, the rebels had lost the advantage of high ground. A rebel RPG team appeared on the other side of the cemetery. The tank crew was quick to identify it, and they averted their firepower to that area. Abel knew that it was now, or never.

“Let’s go!” He commanded.

The other fighters followed him, and in a near perfect formation they kept heel to heel with each other, risking everything to charge at the exposed tank.

The RPG team fired at the same time the tank did, the two shots crossing paths. Another rebel RPG team was taken out, and the tank had suffered damage to its big gun, and front machine gun, rendering it useless.

Two soldiers appeared from behind the tank, and opened fire on Abel and his boys. The rebel fighters hit the dirt, and returned fire, striking both the soldiers, before quickly getting back up to reach their destination before the tank crew could react.

Abel and his boys reached the tank, as they heard commotion inside; filling every opening in the tank with a gun barrel, they opened fire remorselessly on the crews inside. The big gun had loosened from its attachment, and slid forward slightly, eventually collapsing the tip of the gun to the ground, and eventually getting stuck, as it hung from the side of the tank. The tank was no more than an immobile, mechanical roadblock now.

After they emptied their clips, they moved away from the tank, leaving it, when Abel spotted a dead soldier who had a strap of grenades on him. He went over, pulling his knife out, plucking the grenades off. He tossed two to one of his squad members, and took the other two for himself. He went up to the tank, and cooked the grenades, tossing them into the opening on top, where the big gun mount had cracked open. The grenades blew, just as jumped to the ground. He got back up, scooped up his rifle, and the four of them continued onward, crossing the corpse-laden courtyard.

Another tank, having pursued fighters from Solomon’s squad, after it fled the destroyed café, was on a warpath down the street. The machine gun was lighting up the buildings, with another rifle firing sporadically through a turret, on the side of the tank. The big gun was emptying shells as fast as it could, destroying buildings, trying to draw out hidden rebels. The tank had made full speed, and was difficult to hit with RPG, as already it had completely dodged three rockets since the outset of the fight.

Back in the courtyard, Abel and what remained of his squad had made it to the alleyway between a small schoolhouse, and the general store. There, they discovered a duo of dead RPG rebels, one of the seven teams. Abel took the RPG, and his fighters took the rounds, and then quickly entered through the side door of the general store.

Meanwhile, across the yard, Silas, and his squad had been engaged in a back alley shootout with some straggling government troops. Silas had lost one of his boys, but taken two of the government’s. They had been hunkered down for several minutes, the two sides equally exchanging shots, sifting for hopes of relief, or at the very least, luck.

Solomon’s troops ran into some resistance as well, and were halted. The tank commander took this opportunity to bombard the building the rebels had been stuck in, while they had been window firing across an alley way, at government soldiers in an adjacent building.

Back at the courtyard, Abel had appeared in second story window of the general store, with an RPG deployed upon his shoulder, as he aimed through the sights. The rocket was loaded inside, as down below, the other two boys had captured a frightened government soldier, and swapped him clothes with one of the rebel boys. They forced him out the front door of the café, and to flee down the courtyard perimeter.

“That should work, dude!”

“Oh yeah, look at that motherfr run, man,” the second rebel replied, laughing.

As hoped, one of the remaining tanks had taken eye of the fleeing ‘rebel’, and pursued him. The soldier had managed to naturally evade the first few strafes of fire, but the tank was drawing closer, to within an easier firing range of the RPG.

Abel had been quick on the trigger, but the RPG jammed. They couldn't figure it out, as it seems the RPG had some mechanism damage, more than likely from the same firefight that killed its original team. One of the other boys took the butt of his rifle, and bashed the RPG. The trigger came loose, and they attempted again, but the tank was out of clear firing range.

The idea had failed, and so they withdrew, abandoning the general store, as the tank chased down the soldier, making short work of him. Despite the failure of the RPG to launch, it provided a distraction for the time being, as the other rebel squads had been heavily engaged, still.

The routes the tanks were able to take were extremely limited, as the tank blocks set up everywhere had limited large and heavy vehicles from their relatively quick mobility, and maneuvering. Keeping the tank commander occupied, and confused, was a difficult, but necessary task, as removing the heavy armor from the equation balanced the odds tremendously.

In the church, the sniper had repositioned on the main level, in one of the remaining window outcrops, abandoned by the other defenders who moved on elsewhere. The window, the last remaining, with the other three blown open by tank fire, still provided a sufficient form of defense.

From the window, he scanned the empty courtyard for army stragglers.

Three APC’s, and two tanks sat blazing, and immobilized, as they had been targeted earlier by the fury of RPG fire, and were picked off in the earlier stages of the fight, before they could react to what had happened. The smoke emitted from the blazing tanks provided advantageous cover for troops on the ground, on both sides, but also difficult viewpoints for the sniper, who then abandoned the church window, and moved on.

Remy, and Jo-Jo linked up in the post office building, near the main highway road. Their squads were noticeably depleted of manpower. They both had three fighters left.

“We need to stick together,” said Remy, as he peered out a window into an open alley. The sound of gunfire was a constant melody, with breaks of explosions occurring in the distance.

Jo-Jo nodded his head, as he discarded an empty clip from his rifle, and replaced it with his last one. “I’m on my last clip, bro.”

Remy turned to one his boys and nodded. The boy flipped a satchel from off his shoulder, and opened it up, retrieving an AK47 clip. The boy handed it to Jo-Jo, who put the clip in his pants pocket.

“Good to go?” Remy asked, turning to the exhausted soldiers. “Our boys are dying out there, we need to move, now.”

The boys all stood up, and readied their weapons, as they moved to exit the post office, through the rear, they loaded out the door, and came under fire when the last of them exited the building, and one of the boys had been shot, collapsing down the steps, tripping the one behind him. The boys scattered in the alley as half a dozen soldiers opened fire from concealed positions down the alley.

The stumbling boy was in turn shot, as he was exposed in the wide open of the alleyway. The rebels returned fire, and a soldier who had strayed too far from cover was shot, hit several times, he dropped down, and the fight commenced.

BOOM!

An explosion sounded, down the junction to the south-east. The second last tank was continuing to bombard the structures, as it pursued Solomon’s squad’s movements, destroying structure after structure in its search to clear out the buildings.

The squad had won the firefight against the army ambush, among the structures. Five soldiers were dead, and three of Solomon’s squad, now just three of them remaining.

“We need to take a break, Sir,” one of the remaining boys blurted, gasping for air.

“We can’t take a break, the battle is still going, fool,” said Solomon, infuriated by the boy’s weakness.

“Let’s go, we’re moving on.”

“No, we’re taking a break,” the boy replied, standing his ground.

“As your superior officer, I’m giving you an order, soldier.”

“Fk you, and fk your orders,” the boy said, aiming his rifle at Solomon.

Solomon took his hand off the trigger, still holding the rifle by the barrel, in his other hand. He kept his hand away from the trigger.

“Don’t be a goddamn fool, Tremayne. You’re going to get yourself killed, and possibly all of us.”

“Na-na. I’m taking over now. I say we stay, and wait out the fight here. That’s what we’re going to do.”

The third fighter was caught off guard by the confrontation between the two of them.

“You with me?” Tremayne asked the other boy, who said nothing.

Tremayne pointed the rifle at the boy, and mockingly aimed down the sights. “You with me, motherfr?”

The boy looking stunned, and could only look to his captain for guidance. Solomon returned the look, and nodded to the boy.

“He’s not your master,” said Tremayne, as he nodded towards Solomon. “He’s not your master, he’s not my master. We are here as free men. This motherfr doesn’t own us. Fk the R.U.F., and fk this stupid junction.”

Tremayne turned the rifle back towards Solomon. “Do you think Abel will miss you? You’re no different than any of the rest of us. Abel’s no different than any of the rest of us.”

“We’re all revolutionaries-“

“Damn your benedictions, motherfr. I’m nineteen-years-old. What the hell have I been taking orders from a thirteen-year-old for? I should be running this show, not you, and certainly not Abel.”

“He’s more than-“

Tremayne spit. “He’s nothing. He’s a fool to have led us into this battle. Look, we lost our entire squad. Five dead. For what? So Abel could impress Caesar with a victory here? At the expense of the rest of us? I don’t fing thinkso. I’m getting out of here,” said Tremayne, as he got to his feet and made for the door.

“And we’ll hunt you down,” replied Solomon.

Tremayne stopped, and looked back, turning his rifle. “If you make it out of this junction. But don’t threaten me, kid. I will slit your fing throat. If there’s one thing being a rebel has taught me, it’s survival of the fittest.”

Tremayne walked over to the other boy, who was no older than nine, or ten and he pointed the gun at him, pointing the barrel at his head. ”Pfft, not worth it. You’ll be lucky to survive the summer, under this type of leadership.”

Leaving them, backing up, to ensure they didn't pull a weapon on him, Tremayne backed up to the door, and opened it.

Silas punched Tremayne in the face, shattering his nose, as blood shot down both nostrils, and the entire top of his nose had been split open. The boy fell backwards, down to the floor. He tried to get back up, but Silas landed another clear punch right to his nose again, “argggggghhh,” the boy wailed in pain.

“Thinking of going somewhere?” Silas said, as his squad members closed in quickly, grabbing Tremayne, and shoving him to the ground.

Silas walked in, and over to Solomon, where he extended his hand, and pulled him up off the ground, and the same to the other boy. “Still alive, bro. Stick with us?”

He then turned around, standing over Tremayne who was pinned on the ground, to his back. “You know what the R.U.F. does to deserters?” He smiled, menacingly.

Back in the courtyard, Abel and his squad had pursued the tank, until it was at a dead end. As the tank backed up, and attempted to turn, Abel placed the RPG on his shoulder, aiming down the sight. The tank backed out, but the rear had still not been exposed, so he waited. The tank attempted to spin back around, and Abel timed it, firing the shot, the back of the tank exploded, and seconds later, another explosion occurred internally. The boys charged the tank to finish it off, when all of a sudden they came under fire. The boys hit the ground, but one of them had been clipped by a shot. They took cover behind individual tank blocks. Abel risked it, diving in the open, and pulling over the wounded soldier, to cover.

He was nearly safe from gunfire, when a stray shot tore through his right leg, and he let out a scream of agonizing pain, as the entire side of his injured comrade had been riddled with shots, finishing him off. Abel released the dead weight, and fell backwards, grabbing his own leg, he rolled over, up onto his knees, and rolling off them, onto the other side of his body, he struggled to pull himself up on one of the tank blocks, and attempted to fall back to the nearby structures, as he called back his last two remaining boys, a grenade exploded underneath one of them, sending the boy’s body hurling in the air, and landing lifeless on the ground, only yards from Abel.

Shortly thereafter, another grenade went off, this time only yards behind Abel, and he fell forward, the feeling of shards of burning hot shrapnel impaling his garments, embedding themselves into his flesh, he tumbled head first into a concrete tank block. Dazed and rolling onto his back, his body rife with unbearable pain, but the pain subsided slowly, he lifted his head, his vision blurred, feeling his strength wane, as his head dropped back to the ground. He stared up into the blue sky above, the sounds of gunfire fading out, as he heard nothing; he looked about what clouds remained above, in the mid-afternoon sky, his eyes closing slowly, formulating his last comprehensible thought – the nightmare is over.

Last edited by Dance; May 30, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Default Re: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XV - 05/04)

I just recently managed to catch up, and now I have a hard time waiting for more.
    Keep up the bloody work. +rep when able.

Default Re: Histories of a Boy Soldier (Ch. XVI - 05/30)

Hey guys, long time since my last update. Been working hard in other aspects of the Writer's Study, and ideas for how to revamp this.

I've implemented a new format; which includes a Character List, complemented by their "Current Status'" of each character, as per the completion of the current chapter. This is optional for all readers, unless your interested in it.

The Youtube link provided is short, and is intended for the emotional impact of the first scene.

Attention all readersOver the next while, I will be revamping the older chapters and updating them accordingly, including full edits and possible additions to each chapter. This is long overdue, and I intend to perfect it as close as possible. Both Chapters XV and XVI (15 and 16) are built in this format, and this will be a continuing thing.

Now, for Chapter 16. Enjoy.

Chapter XVI
    Legend:
    - In individual spoilers: The character's current status, as per the current chapter.

Youth R.U.F. Soldiers:

(b. 1980) (12-13)
    A white African youth, captured by the Revolutionary United Front (R.U.F.), and forced to become a child soldier. The story follows his experience as a child soldier. After his capture, near Lumba school, Abel was selected as a protege and model youth soldier and commander.

Abel has always had a strong passion for history, and the study, and envy of such historical leaders as Scipio Africanus, and Alexander the Great.

He views his opportunity in the war a way for him to live vicariously through the eyes of his ancient idols, and make a name for himself that will stand the test of time. As premature as this idea may seem, it inspires him to move forward, during such trying times.
    Abel sustained serious, but non-life threatening injuries during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, when tank fire sent him falling into a tank block, with shrapnel tearing sparingly through his rear side. He also sustained a gunshot, just prior to this.

He is currently undergoing medical assistance, post-battle.

(Age unknown)
    Abel's older brother. He was at Lumba school, when the rebels attacked, and was captured with Abe and a mutual friend.

Jon and Abel have differing opinions of the R.U.F. Abel seeks glory, and sees his opportunity to achieve it through the R.U.F., whereas Jon seeks to return life back to normal. He has a growing disdain for his brother, and his brother's new found 'friendship' with Commander Caesar and other rebels.
    Jon was left behind in Lungi, when Abel and a selection of youth troops were ordered to attack Moyamba Junction, under Major Red's command. In the five months since their departure, his current status and whereabouts are unknown to Abel.

Captain Musa [Moo-Sah]
    (Age unknown)
    A friend of the van de Kaans', and classmate of Abel, and Jon. He was captured outside of Moyamba, with Abel and Jon. He is a timid youth, and holds a lack of authority, which causes him problems with being able to assert himself as a major contributor to the rebel group. He began as a close confidante of Abel, but slowly descended to just another youth captain, replaced by newer aspiring youth captains, to serve as Abel's command staff.
    Musa was revealed to have been killed by machine gun fire, during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction (Chapter 16), in mid-spring, 1993.

Captain Solomon
    (Age unknown)
    A friend of Abel's and the other boys. He was a classmate, whom was at Lumba when the rebels attacked. He fled with a different group of boys, from the school, and was captured and brought to Camp Lungi, where he reunited with Abel and the others.

Solomon is an aspiring youth officer, who still serves with distinction in Abel's close group of officers. Unlike Musa, Solomon has the ability to assert his authority when needed, and as such he still holds a prominent position at Abel's right side.

Solomon is a brilliant youth. He is a realist and is not afraid to correct, or enlighten the other officers when the situation calls for it.
    Solomon was injured during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. His left arm is healing, in a sling, from wounds sustained. He still holds a prominent position under Abel's command.

(Age unknown)
    One of Abel's squad members. Silas is the biggest teen in camp, he is 6'5, with a muscular body, hidden by his additional stockiness. He is the strongest boy in camp, and most fear even crossing his path, due to his general size. Over the course of his incorporation into Abel's squad, Silas has moved to the front of the squad, and had become Abel's official lieutenant.
    Silas serves as a lieutenant, and Abel's executive officer. He led his squad with distinction and valor during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He is currently operating as acting-commander of the rebel force at the junction, in Abel's name, during Abel's recovery.

Captain Remy (Ace)
    (Age unknown)
    One of Abel's squad members. Remy is a tall, slender teen, whose is known as a typical joker, among the rest of the boys. He enjoys the luxuries of life (when he can), and is a card game enthusiast, and has an intense passion for gambling. Remy has a thick Crio accent, when he speaks.

Remy is nearly always wearing a pair of Ray-Bans, or other shades, as a coolness factor.
    Remy survived the Second Battle of Moyamba junction, and runs a squad bolstered by survivors of other (now-defunct) squads, as his suffered some losses during the battle.

Captain Jo-Jo
    (Age unknown)

Jo-Jo is subservient to Abel and Silas' command. He acts without question to their every decision and is unquestionably loyal to the rebel cause.
    Jo-Jo died during the Battle of Moyamba Junction, when he was stabbed to death by government soldiers' bayonets.

Captain Innocent
    (Age unknown)
    Innocent survived The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He currently has orders to secured the junction, and search the immediate area inside and out for government stragglers.

(Age unknown)
    Barracuda survived The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He currently has orders to secure the junction (in collaboration with Innocent's squad) and search the immediate area inside and out for government stragglers.

Captain Grady
    (Age unknown)

Remy has a seeming hatred towards him, since a card game had previously put the two at odds.
    Grady is revealed (post battle) to have deserted his squad in the middle of the fighting, and his current whereabouts and status are unknown.

Captain Omry (Original)
    (Age unknown)
    Omry is Abel's adversary, in the youth battalion. His dismay for Abel's ascension to First Captain is well known.

He is a fervent disbeliever in Abel's capabilities to lead, and the two are often at odds with one another.
    Abel nearly killed Omry, for treason, before The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. What remnant of life he still had in him, had slowly left the boy, when he was left to die, in captivity. He died of his wounds, shortly thereafter.

Captain Henry (Hellion)
    (Age unknown)
    Henry leads another of the youth squads, like Omry, and Abel. Henry is a firm supporter of Omry, and also disbelieves in Abel's capability to lead. Neither him, nor Omry respect Abel, despite the fact Major Red, and Commander Caesar, among other top R.U.F. leaders have instilled leadership in Abel.

Henry is laid back, and thinks very highly of himself, and believes he should run the youth brigade, a feeling that also puts him in direct conflict with Abel.

Abel killed Henry in a knife fight, prior to the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, after learning he had malicious intent to kill him, still clinging to the loyalty of his former commander, Omry.

Toddric [Taw-Drick]
    (Unknown age)

Little else is known about Toddric, aside from serving as a torturer, of captives.
    He is fully committed to his position and is completely subservient to Abel and Silas' command. He is currently support staff, and the communications operator, for Abel's company.

He wasn't a combatant, during the recent Battle of Moyamba Junction, instead operating behind the scenes during the battle.

Adult R.U.F. Soldiers:

(Age unknown)
    A British-educated physician, and leader of the R.U.F. rebel forces. He is the camp commander of Camp Lungi, and the regional overlord. He took Abel in as a protege, and firmly believes in Abel's ability to become a prominent figure in the R.U.F.

Caesar served in the Sierra Leonean Army, in the medical corps. He achieved the rank of Colonel, before denouncing his allegiance, and siding with the R.U.F., for the revolution. He is a highly reputable, and staunch supporter of R.U.F. Leader, Foday Sankoh.
    Caesar stayed behind, to command as regional overlord, from the rebel camp at Lungi. He last interacted with Abel, before Abel left with Major Red for Moyamba, many months ago.

(Age unknown)
    Formerly of Siaka Stevens' regime (1971-85), Red joined the army at the beginning of Stevens' term, and then moved his way through the ranks as an officer in the regime's secret police division. He was lead officer of the torture squads. Following the collapse of the Siaka Stevens regime, Major Red, with other loyalists fled to the thick northern jungles, where they engaged in partisan warfare with the new regime, under Joseph Momoh. Momoh declared him an enemy of the state, and all other former regime officials. Red fled to Angola, with his troops, and turned from a partisan group to a mercenary faction.

Charles Taylor recruited Red to join his rebellion in neighboring Liberia. Red served in Liberia, before returning to Sierra Leone, at the outset of the Sierra Leone Civil War, in 1991. He was listed, by this point, as a war criminal, by the International Criminal Courts. An international warrant was issued for his arrest.

Red runs the 'Reavers', a strike force of the Revolutionary United Front rebel forces. He serves as a direct subordinate to Commander Caesar.

Red lead the reavers and the youth troops to victory over the government forces, in the 'Battle of Moyamba Junction (1992)'.
    led the First Battle of Moyamba Junction, and shortly thereafter departed, with his 'Reavers', leaving Abel and his youth company in control of the junction. Red was last seen alive, leaving the junction.

(Age unknown)
    A former lawyer from Freetown, Usengi aligned himself with the R.U.F., at the outbreak of the civil war, in 1991. He believes in Foday Sankoh's ideals, and believes if the R.U.F. Usengi was imprisoned by the previous regime, for advocating anti-government propaganda. Now, he continues his anti-government ideals through the safety of the R.U.F. He is a prominent intellect in the force, and in the eyes of the outside world, he serves as a chief administrator in the legal, and administrative side of the R.U.F. He currently works directly for Caesar, as his personal adjutant, and his mediator with the rest of the R.U.F.
    Usengi was last seen in Lungi, but had been dispatched by Caesar to another posting. His status is unknown.

Captain Rambo
    (Age unknown)
    The rebel captain in charge of training new 'youth officers'. Little else is known about him.

Captain Chaos
    (Age unknown)
    The rebel captain whom captured Abel, Jon, and Musa, and brought them to Camp Lungi. Little else is known about him, except he served an older regime, with Major Red, prior to the revolution.

Rebel Sniper
    (Unknown age)
    The mystery sniper was attached to the defense of the junction, within days of the battle's commencement. Little is known of the person behind the scope.

XVI - Picking up the Pieces

It was silent now, the smoke bellowing high into the late afternoon sky. Dust had still not settled, creating a smoke screen across the junction. Fires raged all over the junction. Some buildings were nothing more than smoldering piles of stone rubble, complemented with broken pieces of wood and tin. The battle was over - the toll, immense.

Laying on his side, covered in dust and small debris, Abel coughed - dust caught in his mouth. A steady line of drool followed the coughing. He spit, finally, trying to clear his parched mouth of the nasty dusty dirt inside it. He rolled onto his back, feeling the shards of metal send a piercing pain through his leg; he opened his eyes, looking up.

The sky was still cloudless and blue; a beautiful Sierra Leonean day, but hell on earth in the junction, much of it covered by the black smoke rising from all around.

Abel's head swiveled sideways, so as to look at the tank that brought him such misery, in the end. There it sat, a smoldering pile of metal. The fire still raged on it - no telling how long he was knocked out for.

Meters from him, he saw one of his squad mates. The boy was lifeless, devoid of all pain. Forcing his head to turn to the other side, Abel noticed another of his fallen comrades - the third boy who had tried to hide for cover when they came under attack. He was also dead.

Of the four of them that ran from the building, he was the last one alive.

He looked around, but there was little movement of what was actually visible through the smoky atmosphere that engulfed the junction.

Continuing to cough, feeling the pain in his rear and leg, from the gunshot and tank round that sent him crashing to the ground, he attempted to pull himself towards a stone tank block, to rest upon. He struggled to reach it, eventually getting two hands on it, he was able to pry himself closer, propping himself up, his back against it.

With difficulty, he tried taking some deep breathes - the dust in his lungs hindering him from long breathes.

He subconsciously reaches for his sidearm, but it's not there. Having dropped his guard, he didn't see the figure approaching through the smoke on his left. Revealed, finally, it was Silas.

Silas was fixing his belt, holstering his sidearm. He had only a muscle shirt on, showing his intensely cut and proud muscle mass.

"S-Silas..." Abel said, under his breath, coughing.

"You look like st," Silas said, reaching down to help Abel up. He grabbed Abel's arm, and slung it around his neck, hoisting him up with little difficulty. Abel shrieked for just a moment from the sudden shots of pain.

"Ah, I feel like st."

"It was a rough fight," Silas replied. "One of the scouts indicated he thought you were dead, like the rest of these ones. So I had to come see for myself."

"I thought I was, Silas. I thought for sure I was." Abel said, puzzled. "What are the- Arggh," Abel let a shriek of pain out, as sharp pains pierced up and down his body, from the wounds he sustained. "Goddammit, I need a drink," he joked, as he had never drank alcohol before.

Silas just laughed. "The survivors are gathered at the church. We have captives. Their losses exceeded ours, we believe. This was a major victory, captain."

Silas threw Abel over his shoulder, anchoring his arm around Abel's good leg, avoiding the gunshot and shrapnel wounds. He carried him through the tank blocks, to the church, about thirty meters away.

Outside the church, there was movement - several rebel fighters busied themselves with post battle duties. Some moved supplies, others looted collected dead bodies, and others just resting.

The fighters all saw Silas coming back to the church, about half a dozen visible at the outset. More filed out, shortly thereafter. The boys all gathered, filing two loosely established lines, as Silas carried Abel through. They could easily identify that their commanding officer was alive, but badly wounded. Their hands went up in salute. Some chanted cheers of appraise. Abel just looked around at them, as they passed by.

"Way to go, Cap!"

"We won, Cap!" The boys all chanted, though all visibly exhausted.

Abel couldn't help but notice the carnage and destruction that battle had caused to the junction and those involved in its defense. He counted at least a dozen dead rebels, and another dozen government soldiers that had already been collected for count.

Silas ascended up the steps and into the church. Inside, even more boys had gathered. Some tending to wounds much like Abel's, while others eating what rations were gathered.

Solomon was eating a bowl of porridge, cooked over a fire, at the side of the church. He got up when he saw Abel and approached him. His left arm was bandaged and held in a sling. He walked towards them with a small limp in his step, assisted by one of the other boys. Silas slowly put Abel down, positioning him on the least wounded side. Abel stifled his pain, so as to create a worthy example for his fighters. Solomon went up, kneeling down.

"We did it," Abel said proudly, a tear descending down his cheek, blackened by the dirt and soot.

"Indeed, Cap. We did," Solomon replied, grabbing his commander and friend's hand, as they linked arms and pulled each other in for a hug.

"We did it," Abel reaffirmed, another tear descending down his closed eyes. "We did it!" He shouted.

All the boys cheered.

"Musa? Where is he, Solo," said Abel, inquiringly.

Solomon looked up at Silas, then down to Abel. He just shook his head.

Abel sniffed in heavily, dropping his head back against the stone siding of the pew. He dropped his head slightly, in reflection, reaching over an pulling a spare pillow from the hands of a rebel, for his head. The boy hurriedly scurried away to retrieve another pillow and blanket for his commander to rest upon.

"How?" Abel continued.

"Strafed by machine gun fire, or so we're told. Over half their squad was killed in the one instance," Silas replied.

Abel clinched his teeth, shaking his head in disbelief.

A man in a blank white t-shirt and beige pants came up to him, with a leather satchel slung across his chest. He had a black cross on his shirt, in the shape of a cross. Abel just eyed the man, suspiciously.

"This is our medic. Arrived before the battle but you were too preoccupied with preparations, naturally. He's been tending to the boys all afternoon."

"What did you say you did before the war?" Silas asked the man.

"Long story short, I was a nurse in Freetown, Lieutenant. I was there when Momoh's troops beat down a group of hospital staff, protesting regime-backed wage decreases for medical staff. Many were arrested over the ordeal, and others received multiple related injuries. I certainly had my fill of these army dictatorships, in past years. From that moment on, I refused to serve under a totalitarian regime, such as Momoh's. So I took to the jungle, when the call came out from the R.U.F., and I have been serving them every since," the man explained.

Abel nodded. "And your name?"

"James. James Nujo," the man replied.

"And how long were you a nurse? Before the war?"

"Nine years, next month." James replied.

Abel nodded. He turned to look at Silas. "The other captains?"

"The squads have been condensed," Silas replied.

"Well how many have we lost, total?" Abel asked. "Argggh" He grunted, as he turned onto his stomach, to alleviate the pain on his rear side.

"No definite number yet, but at least fifty. More are still being turned up from both sides."

"Musa and Cedric's squads were eliminated. With Jo-Jo dead, only two survivors from his and the survivor's from Grady's squad were used to fill the gaps in Inno's. Cuda's was replenished with Solo's boys, and my boys replenished Siddiq's. Siddiq has actually proven his valor in this fight, Cap."

"Good. How'd the other captains die?" said Abel.

"Well, Jo-Jo was clipped trying to fall back, and the soldiers caught up to him, stabbed him to death. We found Cedric's body, minus the lower half of it. You know of Musa's. Grady, well..." Silas' voice trailed off, as he looked to Remy, and then to Solo. "Well... Grady fled. He abandoned the squad. Four of our boys ended up dying because of this traitorous act."

"I knew da motha fa canno be trusted," Remy said angrily.

"Well, we got to deal with what's in front of us right now," Abel said, trying to change the focus. "Has anyone gotten into contact with High Command at Lungi?"

"As of right now, no Cap. But we're working on it. About a half an hour ago, I dispatched a technical south. We need new equipment. Tank fire collapsed a part of the church wall onto our radio transmitter."

"Goddammit. The last thing we need to do is wait- Argghhhhh," Abel groaned, swiveling his torso towards the former nurse turned rebel medical staff. "Watch my fg package!"

"Apologies, Captain. Quite a few of the shards are embedded pretty deep into the flesh. It's a surprise that it missed your testicles - though not by much," replied the former nurse. "If I don't extract the shards and seal the wounds, then your chance for infection will be far more likely."

Abel put his head into the pillow and groaned in frustration. "Then do it, goddammit."

Silas walked over to the ration stockpile and retrieved a plain green bottle filled. "Take some vodka. Let it settle in first, Cap," said Silas, turning to the nurse. "Then finish your work."

Abel took the bottle and looked at it. He felt slightly embarrassed. He had never drank an alcoholic beverage before, not even as common and watered down, as one of their makeshift beers. He advocated against such acts of debauchery, but now he was at a crossroads himself. He needed to numb the pain, and was scared of the repercussions of his team viewing him weak. So he took the cap off the bottle, and looked inside for a moment, putting his eye over the hole. The aroma was strong and his eye tingled to a burning sensation as he shut it, pulling it away from the hole. He put the bottle in his mouth, and turned it up to pour it in. He filled his mouth with a small amount and swallowed, turning his head away from the onlookers, he straightened his face quickly, before turning back. He knew it wouldn't be enough. He's been around drinkers now long enough to know it would require more than that to numb his senses. So he put it back in his mouth, and took another chug of it. This time, he straightened his face near immediately, refusing to have his nerves tighten and create a reaction that might come with the intense burning sensation of a strongly distilled alcoholic beverage. He wiped his face with his other hand, and put the bottle back in his mouth filling it a third time, and chugging it down, allowing it to fill again, he had another chug straight after. He pulled the bottle away and coughed. He cleared his throat and spit on the church floor. He shook his head, clearing his throat again.

He looked up at Silas and he knew. If nobody else knew about Abel's alcoholic virginity, he knew Silas did. The man traded him a look of indifference, not divulging anything to the rest of them.

Silas simply looked away, towards Solomon. "How's your arm feeling?"

"It's a little bit fd up right now. Can barely move it," replied Solomon.

"But your legs work? Check in on Siddiq, gather a report," ordered Silas, as he turned to Remy. "Gather report from Inno or Cuda. Find out if the junction has been emptied of government combatants."

"Right away, Lieutenant," Remy replied, nodding his head. The boy departed, followed on the heels by Solomon.

Silas turned to a couple of other boys who were listening in. "I believe some of Captain Siddiq's boys could be relieved to get some food and rest. See to their relief, now," he ordered the boys, sternly. The boys scattered as quick as the words could be said.

Abel knew that Silas got rid of them all so that he could receive medical attention in peace, without the gawking.

James continued to reach in with his medical tweezers to extract the metal shards. "I don't have the equipment available to do much more than patch you up. If the relief force arrives with adequate medical supplies for this type of work, then I can certainly do a better job, I assure you."

"Well, we better hope for the safety of the dozens injured here that they do arrive," said Silas, interrupting. "Cap. We have caught two dozen soldiers. Twenty-three to be exact. Inno and Cuda are out pursing the remnants of the force, while securing the perimeter. For the most part, we believe they have retreated as far back as Yonibana by now. They lost most of their armor in the fight, however. All five tanks are destroyed. Four of the APCs, and a couple technicals. We captured two technicals that were abandoned in the bush, during their retreat."

"Scrounge up as much of the enemy equipment as you can. See to it that pre-battle patrols of the outskirts of the junction are doubled. With any hope, word has reached Lungi of the victory, by now. We have done our part, for now," said Abel, proudly.

Silas nodded, before stepping back. "Continue your work, when the alcohol settles in, soldier," he said to the James, before turning away to tend to his other duties.

"With proper equipment, I do believe you'll make a full recovery from this. Nerve damage, perhaps, but it looks as though major arteries were missed. The gunshot has exited your leg, so I will need to clean the wound and seal it up. After that, it should heal as well, I'm certain."

Abel took another mouthful of vodka, forcing it down his throat with an immense gulp. He let his face cringe now, as his teeth were tightly clenched together. He took a deep breath, starting to get dizzy. James continued to work on closer to the surface shards, leaving the more embedded ones in until Abel's senses had numbed from the alcohol.

"Thiss was majorr victory, James," Abel said, his speech beginning to slur. "Road ahead long, but for moss part the victorr was great. A majorr batt unner my bell, now, " he continued, with a burp to finish off his rant. Slowly his eyes began to sag, and he couldn't help by try to keep them from closing. He shook his head, trying to wear off the effect of drunkenness, an experience had had never endured before.

James couldn't help but crack a smirk, as he continued to work, taking a water bottle and washing the blood off his tweezers, every time he extracted pieces of metal from Abel's rear.

"Rest easy, Captain Able. It will all be over soon."

Abel just bobbed his head up and down, as he was closer and closer to losing consciousness. Now he just tuned out any words spoken to him, his face slowly bobbing closer and closer to the pillow on the ground, unable to get his head up any further, he laid his face on the pillow, his eyes shut.

Last edited by Dance; May 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Another fine chapter. Can't wait to see how proud Caesar is of his recruit, should they meet again anytime soon in the story.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great story which in my opinion should become a movie one day. You do a great job with the plot and the characters. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

The furiously busy summer has hindered my progress slightly.

Without further ado,

Chapter XVII
    Legend:

Youth R.U.F. Soldiers:

(b. 1980) (12-13)

Abel sustained serious, but non-life threatening injuries during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, when tank fire sent him falling into a tank block, with shrapnel tearing sparingly through his rear side. He also sustained a gunshot, just prior to this.

(Age unknown)

Captain Musa [Moo-Sah]
    (Age unknown)
    Musa was revealed to have been killed by machine gun fire, during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction (Chapter 16), in mid-spring, 1993.

Captain Solomon
    (Age unknown)

Solomon was injured during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. His left arm is healing, in a sling, from wounds sustained. He still holds a prominent position under Abel's command.

(Age unknown)
    Silas serves as a lieutenant, and Abel's executive officer. He led his squad with distinction and valor during the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He is currently operating as acting-commander of the rebel force at the junction, in Abel's name, during Abel's recovery.

Captain Remy (Ace)
    (Age unknown)

Remy survived the Second Battle of Moyamba junction, and runs a squad bolstered by survivors of other (now-defunct) squads, as his suffered some losses during the battle.

Captain Jo-Jo
    (Age unknown)

Jo-Jo died during the Battle of Moyamba Junction, when he was stabbed to death by government soldiers' bayonets.

Captain Innocent
    (Age unknown)
    Innocent survived The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He currently has orders to secured the junction, and search the immediate area inside and out for government stragglers.

(Age unknown)
    Barracuda survived The Second Battle of Moyamba Junction. He currently has orders to secure the junction (in collaboration with Innocent's squad) and search the immediate area inside and out for government stragglers.

Captain Grady
    (Age unknown)

Grady is revealed (post battle) to have deserted his squad in the middle of the fighting, and his current whereabouts and status are unknown.

Captain Omry (Original)
    (Age unknown)

Captain Henry (Hellion)
    (Age unknown)

Toddric [Taw-Drick]
    (Unknown age)

Adult R.U.F. Soldiers:

(Age unknown)

(Age unknown)

(Age unknown)

Captain Rambo
    (Age unknown)

Captain Chaos
    (Age unknown)

Rebel Sniper
    (Unknown age)
    The mystery sniper made his debut in the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, when he was attached to the defense of the junction, within days of the battle's commencement. Little is known of the person behind the scope.

XVII - New
    Commission

The sunlight was showing in the window on Abel's eyes. It caused him to stir in his sleep, and slowly he began to murmur, as he started to regain consciousness, slowly.

His eyes opened slowly - though still visibly dazed and seemingly unaware of his surroundings. His head was bandaged, and he had a pack of warm water on his head, which had at one point been ice.

His body was aching everywhere, but slowly he turned his head to look to the side, where he saw a bedside table, and some torn curtains hanging by a window. The sun was shining outside, and there was some dew on the window, signifying it was early morning still.

Abel turned his head to the other side, with obvious strain. He saw a portable tray, with some scattered medical tools on it, and some packages of bandages and a pillow and several blankets on the lower level of the tray.

He struggled with immense difficulty to pull his head up forward. Still, he could not make out things he saw with absolute assurance. Turning his head sideways, and using less strain now to pull it forward he saw a man sitting in a seat, at the end of his bed. He tried to make the figure out, but could not garner a decisive view of the man's face.

"Abel," the man said.

Abel had recognized, but could not pinpoint the voice of the man. He shook his head, as it pounded. He had been suffering from an immense headache, due to the head injury sustained, when he collapse head first into a concrete tank block.

The man snapped his fingers, and a boy no older than Abel had run in and helped Abel's head up, while he stuffed another pillow under his head. Abel had a clear view of the figure, but the face still remained blurry, clearing slowly.

The man sat with his legs crossed one over the other. He began to clap slowly.

"Well done, Captain. I never expected this sort of outcome, that I assure you," he said.

Abel slowly clued in now. "Commander Caesar?"

The face had now become more clear and he could make out that it was indeed his chief commander, from Lungi.

"Red had his doubts, however, I doubted you little. I knew you'd win, it was just the degree in which you would achieve the victory. Was near flawless on my mind? No, not even close," Caesar said with a chuckle, as an immense smile crawled up the sides of his face.

"For the revolution," Abel responded.

Caesar itched his temple with his left index finger. "Yes... For the revolution," Caesar said, his smile wearing off shortly thereafter.

"Where's my boys?" Abel asked.

"They've been reassigned. They are still here, just now under the command of one of my other captains. They are in good hands, do not worry about that."

"And the captives?"

"They have been taken care of. Don't you worry about that, Captain. Your job now is to rest. You've served with more bravado than I could ever have expected. You secured the highway's continuity for the revolution, and I must tell you, command is impressed.

I come with a personal thanks from the new Battlefield Commander, himself. Bockarie sends his regards.

If you were ten years older, I would have you commanding the assault on the government. However, you may have an alternative posting available in the near future. For now, you will rest until you are a hundred percent. That is non-negotiable, it's an order,"
    Caesar said, smiling, as he often does.

He got up, and walked over to Abel, running his finger tips along the boy's leg, from his ankle to his kneecap, and then from rib to rib. He inspected him keenly, during this instance.

"Your wounds will likely heel in the coming weeks. The surgery went well," he said, smiling.

"Surgery?" Abel asked, surprisingly.

"It was necessary. The bullet had an exit wound, however, certain shrapnel pieces had lodged deep into you, two particular pieces of which had been embedded too close to some arteries for comfort. I had to extract them, before they settled, and the flesh around them became irritated and festered, and the possibility of gangrene or another vicious infection was evident," Caesar said, as he closed his book, holding it over his lap. "Now, there is less than a fifty percent chance you may develop an infection. The appropriate medical supplies are still being acquired, but for the most part, you will be taken care of. I will remain on hand for a short while, however, there will be another physician who will tend to the wounded, here."

"You did the surgery?"

"Of course. I was a battlefield surgeon for the better half of a decade. I dabbled in many areas of medicine, once I achieved my M.D. Surgery was always the most profitable," Caesar said smiling. "And you are a worthy investment, Captain."

Abel didn't really pay much attention to the remark, rather he was was trying to move himself up in the bed - exerting what little energy he had regained since passing out.

"Get some rest, now. I will talk to you soon," Caesar said to Abel. He turned to the medical attendant, with a small vial of clear liquid. "Give him a five now, and three in six hours. It will numb the pain and help him retain strength."

Caesar then turned back to Abel, nodded and took his leave.

In the room, the attendant prepared a syringe with the medicine.

Abel looked puzzled. "Commander, where are you going?"

Caesar paused at the door, turning around. "I have some business to take care of. I will see you later, Captain," he said, exiting the room.

Abel tried to adjust himself to sit up, but it was to no avail. He burned what little strength he had, and just laid helplessly on the bed, as a man in a plain white medical uniform busied himself on a table beside him.

Abel could do nothing now, he just stared out the window and watched as a sunny day passed by.

The needle went in, and the medication applied, but he didn't feel it... His eyes just closed slightly, and a few blinks later, he was passed out.

THREE DAYS LATER...

Light shown back into his world, and Abel opened his eyes. He was dazed and witless. His head uncontrollably turned sideways facing the wall beside him - opposite the window. He regained his sense of self-awareness, but had little time to do so...

"Captain!" A voice shouted.

The shout shook Abel into reality a little more, and he turned towards the door, where two rebel soldiers waited, idly. One of them exited the room, through an exterior door, and comotion was heard outside.

Within moments, the door opened again, and an arm shoved one of the rebel soldiers standing there out of the way. Silas walked into the room, followed by Solomon.

Solomon had a childish smile, as if it were his birthday. Silas kept steady-faced and just nodded to Abel.

"You're back, Cap," Solomon said, sitting next to him.

"Where's Caesar?" Abel said.

"He's gone, but he'll be back tonight sometime."

Abel nodded. "Help me up."

Solomon looked at Silas, then back to Abel. "Well... Cap, Caesar said-"

Abel snapped a sharp look at Solomon, his disdain apparent.

"Alright, here put your arm around my neck," Solomon said, as he leaned in.

Silas held Abel under his other arm, and hauled him up, supporting him, as he leaned on Solomon, and the proceeded to walk to the door, and out onto the porch.

They sat him down in a cushioned swing, by the door. The porch was open concept with no railings, and he looked out over the battered junction. Boys and men went about their daily activities rebuilding, refortifying, and conducting other smaller duties, as it was mid-afternoon and they widely busied themselves.

Abel could do nothing but reminiscent about the battle, and the soldiers he lost. Small fries in the spectrum of things. As many rebels as were lost in the battle, the camp was now doubled in size than that in which he commanded from the beginning. It was as if there was an endless supply of meat to the grinder.

Silas leaned back on a porch pillar, with one foot back up on the pillar. He had a cigar lit, and he held it in his hand, as he watched the encampment.

Solomon leaned against the building, with his shoulder, and the boys just recalled the fury of the battle.

Silas broke the silence. "I heard some of Caesar's boys say that the government is in full retreat. They're numbers have dwindled tremendously, both during the battle... And after it. Apparently, the sobels confirmed there have been plenty of defections in the army, and hundreds have up and abandoned their posts and returned to their homes. All this, and all Strasser** and his boys can do is they can do in Freetown is squabble more over who gets shotgun in the presidential limousine," Silas says with a smile, as he takes a deep puff of the cigar.

Solomon smiles and nods, as if he's picturing the scenario in his head.

"The war is far from over, Sy. I know it. I've read up too much on this kind of situation. The government begins to collapse, and foreign intervention comes to save the day. We're talking U.S. Army, British S.A.S., ECOMOG, African Union, United Nations, hell... Probably even the French,"** Abel says with as straight a face as he can. "The last thing we need is tanks, jets, rockets, radars, and thousands of more troops to reinforce the floundering government."

"The Americans? Do you think they'd bother with Strasser's regime? Pft, there's no oil to be had here," Solomon said, with a snarky tone.

"But we have diamonds," Silas said smoothly, taking another puff.

"They haven't intervened in Liberia yet, but I'm sure they're watching," Abel said, rolling his neck, to get rid of the aches from being bedridden. "The whole world is watching this. We just have to watch each step," Abel said, ending the conversation.

"I wonder what the next step is for us, now. I suppose we will push westwards, towards the capital," he continued. "I mean that would be a logical choice, considering the government's disarray."

Silas looked down to the steps, as he stuck his finger in his ear to itch it, then he swiveled his head towards Solomon, who just looked back at him, eyes wide.

Solomon coughed to clear his throat. "Cap... There's something else..."

Abel winced in anticipation. He didn't look at either one, he just waited.

"Caesar is relocating you, Abe," Silas said, putting out the cigar. "Command of the diamond camps, in Kono District."

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great another chapter and a great one at that. I'm glad Abel's ok! It's going to be interesting to see what is going to happen with the diamond camps. If foreigners get involved this may be one of their first targets.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Chapter XVII
    Legend:

Youth R.U.F. Soldiers:

(b. 1980) (12-13)

(Age unknown)

Captain Musa [Moo-Sah]
    (Age unknown)

Captain Solomon
    (Age unknown)

(Age unknown)

Captain Remy (Ace)
    (Age unknown)

Captain Jo-Jo
    (Age unknown)

Captain Innocent
    (Age unknown)

(Age unknown)

Captain Grady
    (Age unknown)

Captain Omry (Original)
    (Age unknown)

Captain Henry (Hellion)
    (Age unknown)

Toddric [Taw-Drick]
    (Unknown age)

Adult R.U.F. Soldiers:

(Age unknown)

Caesar assumed temporary command of the junction, as befitting his rank, and as regional commander of Moyamba and the outlying area.

(Age unknown)

(Age unknown)

Captain Rambo
    (Age unknown)

Captain Chaos
    (Age unknown)

Rebel Sniper
    (Unknown age)
    The mystery sniper made his debut in the Second Battle of Moyamba Junction, when he was attached to the defense of the junction, within days of the battle's commencement. Little is known of the person behind the scope.

He was present at the church, post-battle, and was in good health. He is currently at the junction.

XVIII - A Familiar Meeting

Abel was helped into the room, makeshift crutches under both arms, and assisted by some soldiers.

Caesar was at his desk, and two other men, Caesar's bodyguards, stood inside the room as well, staring him down.

The soldiers brought Abel to a seat in front of Caesar's desk, and took their leave.

Caesar inspected him for a short while, before speaking. "You look to be recovering well, I see. That's good. Some war wounds now. You can truly say you're a man grown, having foregone your first battle command. None can deny this to you, now," he said with a reassuring smile.

"I feel like hell, and my head has been pounding, among other things..."

"And the medication. Is it working for you?" Caesar asked, inquiringly.

"Yeah, it works. Knocks me out as quick as I take it, but it helps me get full sleeps without aches," replied a beleaguered Abel.

"Mmhmm," Caesar hummed, as he put his elbows to the desk, fingers connected at the tips.

"So, I hear you have some news for me, Commander?"

"It seems you have a collective force of listeners, as much was fighters."

"So it seems," said Abel, unimpressed.

"Unhappy with the loose news of your new post?"

"More confused than unhappy."

"What part do you see yourself playing here, Captain?"

"What part do you even want me to play here, Commander?"

"Abel," said Caesar, as he removed his reading glass, folding them, and placing them down on his desk, getting up and walking around to Abel. "We all have a role to play in this."

"And what part do I play? Because I just won—" Caesar grabbed Abel by the jaw, and looked right into his eyes, face to face.

"You seem to be forgetting who you're speaking to, boy," he said, staring him straight down. Abel could do nothing but stare back, as he was still in a battered state from his wounds sustained in the battle. He smacked Abel across the face, then returning a swift backhand back the other way, forcing him
    to spit out blood.

Two of Caesar's men grabbed Abel, one on each shoulder, and held him in place, as his balance was nil, due to his near inability to move very much, still recovering.

"You're a soldier in the revolution," continued Caesar, standing straight up, fixing his watch.

Caesar nodded to his men, and they let Abel go.

Abel looked at them as if he wanted to retaliate, but it was solely out of a combination of embarrassment and anger. He shook off the smacks, spitting out more bloody saliva.

He ran his hands through his long blond hair, that extended as far as his neck, while taking a deep breath, he turned to the two, as they returned back to their positions a couple feet behind him. He just glared at them, in anger, spitting again to the floor, turning back to Caesar, he lifted his hand to his mouth, wiping the blood coming from his split lip, with the back of his hand.

Caesar sat back down. "Kono."

Abel remained silent.

"The diamond fields in the east. Our new enterprise. The financial fuel of the revolution."

"What of them, and what of the posting I heard of?"

"It is an essential business. We cannot find a better source of income, so easily in our grasp. The government abandoned the mines, and now we are in full control," he said, lifting his pipe off the desk, and filling it with tobacco. "My issue now, is corruption," he continued, taking his lighter and lighting the tobacco. "There are too many diamonds exchanging hands, and I have too few reliable men at my disposal for this."

"And you want me to clean up the camps? Like I don't get where you are going with this, Commander."

"Clean them up? One of the tasks, I suppose. No, I want you to run the camps, Abel. Initially, one post, outside of the liberated town of Menasa, this being a relatively lucrative camp, at a Sew river drainage point. The former camp commander there has been... Implicated in corruption, and they are in need of a new commander. Now, holding a junction is one thing, as commendable a job as you did, however, running a diamond camp is a battle within itself. Every scoundrel around will be slipping diamonds into their pockets, their socks, their toes, asses, between their thighs and balls, under their tongues, behind their teeth, in their teeth, and even swallowing them. It will be a true test of your ability, not just at fighting, but of managing a fast-paced industry, and producing a quota."

Abel looked to the floor boards, rubbing his hands together, deep in thought, but taking in exactly what Caesar was telling him.

"And there's nobody else in your camp you could trust more?"

"Oh, in my camp there's plenty, but, every man in my camp has a specific job already, and you're a nomad, Captain. I feel rested knowing I can put my assurance in you that the job will be carried out appropriately."

"And that's it? Just running the diamond camp? No fighting, no politics, just running the camp?"

"Speaking of it now seems simple, however, the real situation will be very different, Abel," said Caesar, with a chuckle.

"Though you know I can never guarantee you that other issues will not arise, Menasa camp is in a pretty safe position. The government has a last bastion at Koidu Town, but it's besieged as we speak, more or less. You needn't worry about that."

"I took twice the number, where we sit now, I'm not afraid to fight."

"Nor should you be. A protege of mine is fearless, and you are the epitome of that, young grasshopper," he said jokingly.

"Am I to go alone?"

"Did Alexander cross Asia by himself?"

"So, I'm taking my troops with me?"

"No. But, you can take what men you need with you. Anyone you trust, and whom can assist in running the camp."

Abel stroked his bare chin, contemplating whom he'd bring with him.

"Give it a few weeks, as you recover some more from your wounds. When you're able to travel, you will assume your posting."

Abel leaned back in the chair, still feeling the brunt of his agonizing pains, making him squirm more than get a comfortable position.

"Alas, I have business. I leave in the morning. You might not see me for some time, so I wish you luck in your new assignment, and I will undoubtedly keep report on you, as I know I will certainly be most impressed, Captain."

Abel was stroking his sore jaw, and nodded his head, without uttering a word.

Caesar snapped his fingers, and one of the bodyguards opened the door, beckoning in the soldiers to help Abel to his quarters.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I had a fair bit to catch up with but it was worth it, it will be interesting to see how Abel handles to diamond mines.

Rep+

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123