Thread: [Preview] High-Poly Levies

Default [Preview] High-Poly Levies

As promised, I am still working on a revamp of vanilla units in DLV. Unfortunately, due to certain errors and little free time the modification was delayed. However, to keep hopes up, here is a mini-preview of work in progress. I hope you like it.

Main Preview
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Close-up

Well, I am not afraid to do close-up screenshots!

Weapons and Sidearms
    Out of 60 men, only 4-5 have shields. I may relocate axes under the belts, just like the two sickles.

Before & After Battle

Butchered some scotts.

I will instantly rep the one who finds two absolutely same-looking levies. The chances of that happening are very very low. There is 28 head groups, 6 body groups, 4 legs, 6 bag/belt groups, 4 main weapons and 5 sidearms. M2TW engine picks any one model from each group-set and generates a unit. Just some "FYI" for non-modders.

The effect of depth on clothes is achieved via normal maps. And no, I was not using zBrush or other high-poly sculpting to generate them. It is more tedious than what most tutorials show, but worth it. Later, I will make a tutorial on how to achieve this effect.

Note that these units will first be released as a modding resource (i.e. a revamp of M2TW vanilla units, and open source models and textures for anyone from the modding community). Thus the final submod for DLV-BB will have much more content and with some differences from the open-resource release. I might cut down the poly-count (now around 15000) and decrease the amount of gear on peasants for the release. I will also add peasant archers, peasant spearmen alike. In the first release I will focus on light units first, then shifting towards knights, heavy spearmen, and so on. Suggestions will be very appreciated.

Lets revive DLV to its former glory and even beyond that!
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 07, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Default Re: [Preview] High-Poly Levies

Outstanding!

+rep!

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

realy nice !

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Those wicked peasants !

Ha, best lookin' peasant I've ever seen

O and In the second picture, third from the left front row(black hair) behind him to the left and behind him to the right are three black haired twins.... The one on the left may have green pants but there is also another possible twin in the very back left corner of the formation. I used to love Where's Waldo as a young one.

+rep on the great units

Emperor Hantscher,

Wow. You got it right there. I went back and checked just to be sure. One had different pants, but the other two were same. +rep

There are 60480 different possible model combinations. There are only 60 men in a unit. The chances of any two being same are... I could not find it out on the spot just yet. Anyone who calculates it right, another rep, haha. I will go try to find it myself, just for fun.

EDIT: Here is my calculation.
    Lets make its simpler first:

1) Chance of any model appearing is 1/60480

2) If we have only 2 men on the field, the total number of possible combinations is 60480^2. Out of this, there are 60480 cases when both of the men are same-looking. Thus the chance for both men to be same-looking is [1/(60480^2)]*60480 = 60480.

3) Now, there are 60 men. Lets pick any one of them, he can make a pair with any of the remaining 59 men. The second man can make a match with any of the remaining 58 as he already made a possible match with the first man. In other words, number of possible matches is 59 + 58 + 57 ... +1 = 60*30 = 1800 possible pair-making between these 60 men.

4) All put together (1/60480)*1800 = 0.029762. Nearly 3% chance that the game would generate two same-looking men in a single unit of peasants in any custom battle. Theoretically, only 1 custom battle out of 30-35 would give two same-looking men.

These calculations are probably oversimplified. I am not 100% sure about this. There are clear-cut formulas for calculating this type of problems in combinatorics, but I can hardly remember anything from there.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 08, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Nice work and great project . Have some rep.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Really pleased to see some work on this atmospheric mod.

Those models really do look nice. Very good work.

I am really looking forward to seeing what else you will come up with.

+rep

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Really nice work chap.

+rep

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

great looking units
    regards

Patiently awaiting this.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

rep + for the technical aspect of your work. Keep working.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Since I am not working on this anymore I decided to release whatever you see in the preview. Here is the link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4025

More open-source stuff is coming soon. Not directly dlv-related stuff.

Sandy

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

sorry to hear, but thanks for publishing

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

How can I merge this with the Western units overhaul? Or is it included already?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; August 29, 2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo corrected on member's request